Review the last film you saw

Ryan Gosling

From the lecture I received from you after I dared to say some of the Coens' films were 'a bit hollow'.;)

Had a look for where I gave you a lecture.

Can't find it.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Commander Harris

how can anyone rate Kurosawa, it's so derivative.

"seven samurai" - it's just the Magnificant Seven in the east! :mad:

:laugh:

And the Hidden Fortress - Star Wars without the spaceships!!

Patrick Bateman
1. Where did I suggest that? I was just pointing out the fact that our opinions change as we get older, in most cases, and our perspective changes with experience.

2. You can tell all that from a dozen posts, I guess you missed my first post on this thread? All time periods in cinema have produced 'guff' as you put it, the guff of the past never got the level of acclaim the guff of today is afforded.

3. Junk might have been a better word. I have no problem with escapism, in fact if you had read some of my more positive views on certain films you'd see I actually prefer it in most cases and I also enjoy films made for purely for entertainment value. What I don't understand is nihilism being elevated to the level of profound, 'high art'.

1. You said "You're bright" which suggests that if he were stupid, his film tastes wouldn't blossom. Perhaps I misread it and that you just meant bright people are more open to change (which I don't think is strictly true).

2. I could equally challange the films you seem to like. Take Citizen Kane, for example; its as subtle as a smack in the face and is polluted with insultingly blatant metaphors (Rosebud, the "No Tresspassing" sign) and is a bit of an emotional void. If anything, Welles is more guilty of prefering style over substance than someone like PTA, as his shots were purely for show.

3. I think you're misusing the term "nihilism" if you're trying to apply it to There Will Be Blood - the two main characters believe in capitalism or God. In other words, neither are a complete void, nor is the film a celebration of emptiness. Furthermore, you could argue that Taxi Driver (a film which I really enjoy) is a nihilstic film, as Travis Bickle doesn't really find solace in anything; the entire world pretty much disgusts him.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you accuse certain films of having thematic holes, or being over-acted/self-indulgent, when really, you can annihilate almost every film if you really wanted to. When I watch a film, I'll try to forget who is directing and what the various actors have previously starred in, otherwise I'd end up with an inbalanced view of what I'd seen on screen.

ArmiyaRomanova

I heard that the peerless High School Musical is being remade set in 16th century Italy. Whatever next.

No Country For Old Men

medium_4.gif

Having watched Transformers the previous night, it was nice to actually see something with good acting and a decent storyline. Felt the ending didn't quite live up to the rest of the movie, which is the only reason it doesn't get 5 stars. Highly recommended though.

1. You said "You're bright" which suggests that if he were stupid, his film tastes wouldn't blossom. Perhaps I misread it and that you just meant bright people are more open to change (which I don't think is strictly true).

2. I could equally challange the films you seem to like. Take Citizen Kane, for example; its as subtle as a smack in the face and is polluted with insultingly blatant metaphors (Rosebud, the "No Tresspassing" sign) and is a bit of an emotional void. If anything, Welles is more guilty of prefering style over substance than someone like PTA, as his shots were purely for show.

3. I think you're misusing the term "nihilism" if you're trying to apply it to There Will Be Blood - the two main characters believe in capitalism or God. In other words, neither are a complete void, nor is the film a celebration of emptiness. Furthermore, you could argue that Taxi Driver (a film which I really enjoy) is a nihilstic film, as Travis Bickle doesn't really find solace in anything; the entire world pretty much disgusts him.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you accuse certain films of having thematic holes, or being over-acted/self-indulgent, when really, you can annihilate almost every film if you really wanted to. When I watch a film, I'll try to forget who is directing and what the various actors have previously starred in, otherwise I'd end up with an inbalanced view of what I'd seen on screen.

Well at least we're getting somewhere resembling a sensible debate.:o

1. I was suggesting that you would have to have a very blinkerd view of the world if your opinions/tastes stayed the same through your teenage years to your 30s. All the people I have grown up with have changed totally, we all used to have similar tastes in film/music but now we all like completely different stuff from each other and any time we meet up it ends up in a massive debate because of that. It actually makes life more interesting to have people around you who have radically different opinions from you.

2. Never even seen Citizen Kane.

I feel PTA's films could have been better in my view if he had more control of his craft and had more focus in his writing, his films are overlong and overwrought IMO, he has to show us everything and without any subtlety. Can you honestly tell me Magnolia was not self indulgent, over acted and far too long? He seems unwilling to edit his own work, almost like it is too precious to him. If a director can't excercise control/restraint then his/her films will always fall short of being masterpieces in my book. It would be interesting to see him direct a screenplay he had no part in, maybe he would not get so carried away with himself if he was working with someone elses ideas.

3. I don't think I was misusing the term because I was not using it to describe TWBB. I'm talking about films like Pulp Fiction and Memento, where unlike Taxi Driver there is not really a greater meaning for the brutality on screen. While Taxi Driver was a reflection of an America that was losing faith in the American dream in the wake of Vietnam the other films I mentioned where grimy stylistic experiments. That is what I think has been lost from the 70/80s generation to the current generation of filmakers, style with a purpose. Very few have demonstrated that.

Well at least we're getting somewhere resembling a sensible debate.:o

1. I was suggesting that you would have to have a very blinkerd view of the world if your opinions/tastes stayed the same through your teenage years to your 30s. All the people I have grown up with have changed totally, we all used to have similar tastes in film/music but now we all like completely different stuff from each other and any time we meet up it ends up in a massive debate because of that. It actually makes life more interesting to have people around you who have radically different opinions from you.

Agree, but I'd also add that your opinions as a teenager shape and form your opinions for life. I don't think my tastes have changed all that much in the last 5/6 years - I understand films better, I think, and I have more awareness of why I like or dislike something, but my tastes have broadened, not changed per se.

2. Never even seen Citizen Kane.

I feel PTA's films could have been better in my view if he had more control of his craft and had more focus in his writing, his films are overlong and overwrought IMO, he has to show us everything and without any subtlety. Can you honestly tell me Magnolia was not self indulgent, over acted and far too long? He seems unwilling to edit his own work, almost like it is too precious to him. If a director can't excercise control/restraint then his/her films will always fall short of being masterpieces in my book. It would be interesting to see him direct a screenplay he had no part in, maybe he would not get so carried away with himself if he was working with someone elses ideas.

That's a much more interesting argument than being dismissive of his work, as you were earlier in the thread. They are valid points - personally, I thought the colour he added to the characters and storylines in Magnolia was worth the extra half hour running time. It was a far richer experience for its refusal to conform to a standard running time, in my opinion, although I realise that one man's tapestry is another's self-indulgence.

3. I don't think I was misusing the term because I was not using it to describe TWBB. I'm talking about films like Pulp Fiction and Memento, where unlike Taxi Driver there is not really a greater meaning for the brutality on screen. While Taxi Driver was a reflection of an America that was losing faith in the American dream in the wake of Vietnam the other films I mentioned where grimy stylistic experiments. That is what I think has been lost from the 70/80s generation to the current generation of filmakers, style with a purpose. Very few have demonstrated that.

I'd again argue that this has been in evidence for longer than you give it credit for. Peter Biskind makes the point that the Golden Age in the 1970s didn't feel like one at the time, because guff was still being churned out at the same rate as ever - I'll maybe dig out my copy of Easy Riders, Raging Bulls later and see if I can find the exact quote. A Bout De Souffle, a film whose very purpose is style, was made in 1968, and is still widely watched and regarded as a classic today - stylistic exercises have always existed in film; as, however, have more artistic, purposeful works.

In the 1990s and 2000s, I think the balance is somewhat similar to what it always was - it's just often difficult to see that, because there is no true historical perspective on the period.

You pick out Memento and Pulp Fiction from this period, but don't mention Schindler's List, The Shawshank Redemption, Requiem For A Dream, Mulholland Drive and all the other films with substance to match their not inconsiderable style.

Just my interjection.

I liked Lord of the Rings.

As an allegory for the German invasion of Western Europe in the late 19....

Ah, who am I trying to kid, it was bloody quality!

Commander Harris
I liked Lord of the Rings.

so did I :)

storytelling at it's best - and deliberately devoid of allegory too! :P

Personally, I thought the religious metaphors were a little unsubtle in Jesus Christ: Superstar.

Great performance from Robert Powell though.

quality, even a thread about films can turn into a slanging match on JKB. I reckon JKB could turn even Gandhi into a hate-filled racist!

anyway - back on topic

Kingdom of Heaven

Hated it when i watched it in the cinema, wasnt much better the second time round. No chemistry between Orlando Bloom and Eva Green, not really much plot at all, and we're supposed to believe that a simple blacksmith is not only one of the greatest swordsmen in the world, but a tactial genius when it comes to war.

** 2 stars, coz the fight scenes were good.

Boogie Nights.

Heather Graham in the scud - what's not to like ?

Heh heh....good call & quality film.

Dirk Diggler..........best name ever :)

NO Country for Old Men.

Just back from the flicks and I don't quite know where to start. I love the Coen Bros' films and this is no exception and it feels as if they're back to the clever stuff. It's beautifully shot and reminds me of Fargo, but dry Texas heat and not a flake of snow in sight. It's scary - the film doesn't hide the violence except in an unexpected scene towards the end and there's as much blood and gore as any filmgoer could be expected to take. The characters are strong and absorbing; the main character we follow is truly evil - he scares the life out of me .. and others..

The Coen humour comes in to the frame occasionally but nothing like Fargo or the Big Lebowski, here it's much much darker and there's no clowning.

Whether it's to your taste or not, I reckon this is a film which will be watched and re-watched for years to come

I watched this last night............thought it was superb.

The guy (Antionne something) that plays the hit man is excellent.

Love the Coen Bros and pleased to say this is up there with Fargo IMO.

Personally, I thought the religious metaphors were a little unsubtle in Jesus Christ: Superstar.

Great performance from Robert Powell though.

Guarantee Maxi says 'Why couldn't the eagles just fly them to Mount Doom'.

quality, even a thread about films can turn into a slanging match on JKB. I reckon JKB could turn even Gandhi into a hate-filled racist!

anyway - back on topic

Kingdom of Heaven

Hated it when i watched it in the cinema, wasnt much better the second time round. No chemistry between Orlando Bloom and Eva Green, not really much plot at all, and we're supposed to believe that a simple blacksmith is not only one of the greatest swordsmen in the world, but a tactial genius when it comes to war.

** 2 stars, coz the fight scenes were good.

I'd agree with that.

It looked the part, but was a complete mess. Orlando Bloom, God bless him, cannae act, let alone carry a film of that scope - even if it had been a coherent piece of work.

Control

Life of Ian Curtis.

Frighteningly believable performance by Sam Riley. Where he is singing into the microphone and the camera comes up close and you see him rolling his eyes it is quite remarkable. And eerie.

All the acting is of an incredibly high standard. The actors who played Sumner and Hookie amazing too. And Samantha Morton, well, she is sheer class.

Very good film. Sad though.

5 out of 6.

Dying to see this.............I recently read the book written by Curtis's wife, which the film is based on. I think its just come out on DVD, so I will get it out this week.

Guarantee Maxi says 'Why couldn't the eagles just fly them to Mount Doom'.

The indestructible ghost army WAS a bit of a cop out...;)

I'd agree with that.

It looked the part, but was a complete mess. Orlando Bloom, God bless him, cannae act, let alone carry a film of that scope - even if it had been a coherent piece of work.

aye i just thought it was a total mess when i saw it at cinema. even the fight scenes, despite being good dont impress nearly as much as they would have a few years ago due to the LOTR trilogy and all the other big battle scenes that are ten a penny these days.

my mum liked it though.

says it all really.

I'd agree with that.

He was alright in Ned Kelly I thought.

chester copperpot

Watched 3 movies at the weekend, in between getting ejected from Parkhead ;)

28 Weeks Later - Not bad, no as good as the 1st IMO.

Hostel 2 - Utter rubbish, except for the hot american lass, who was rather slutty, I liked her.

Outlaws - Terrible film. No really, terrible.

aye i just thought it was a total mess when i saw it at cinema. even the fight scenes, despite being good dont impress nearly as much as they would have a few years ago due to the LOTR trilogy and all the other big battle scenes that are ten a penny these days.

my mum liked it though.

says it all really.

Absolutely. It wasn't horrific, and reasonably watchable, but would have needed a complete overhaul from the basic plot upwards to have been anywhere near good.

As you say, a complete mess and too similar to other films of the time to stand out, even on a technical level.

I regret to report that Kingdom Of Heaven was the last film I saw as well. I may have to watch a DVD tonight to cleanse my brain.

I watched the end of Battle Royale afterwards so my conscience is clear. :)

I watched the end of Battle Royale afterwards so my conscience is clear. :)

Is it at the end that the blatant remote control toy helicopter flies in? Can't remember.

Funny as feck.

Is it at the end that the blatant remote control toy helicopter flies in? Can't remember.

Funny as feck.

Dunno! Missed it if it is!

In The Valley of Elah - 4 outa 5 Tommy Lee at his best brilliant movie

Into the Wild - 4 outa 5 Sean Penn directs a true story another brilliant movie

Rambo - 2 1/2 out 5 Utter gore fest naff story but hey its Rambo;)

Cassandra's Dream - 0 outa 5 Ewan McGregor & Colin Farrell as English brothers ,utter utter pish really really bad :(

Sunset Blvd.

William Holden is absolutely fantastic as a cynical hack forced to work for Gloria Swanson's deranged former star. It's a little dated in style obviously, having been made in 1950, but its message about the pitfalls of the Hollywood studio system still resonates strongly today.

medium_5.gif

Commander Harris
The Naked Gun

Still holds up well 20 years on, top quality spoofery. They don't make them like they used to.

medium_4.gif

very true - hilarious film - love the wordplay, there should be more of that kind of comedy these days rather than relying on smut.

very true - hilarious film - love the wordplay, there should be more of that kind of comedy these days rather than relying on smut.

WTF's wrong with smut likes ? :mad:

Commander Harris
WTF's wrong with smut likes ? :mad:

lol - it's ok in small doses I guess - but when an entire film in based on it I get a little bored.

Do not trust the IMDB site :confused:

The Air I Breathe - Complete and utter nonsense total waste of time

IMDB has a rating of 8.6/10 more like 1.5/10

Air I Breathe

They must pay people to vote on that site im affraid, this film is diabolical :cool:

The Naked Gun

Still holds up well 20 years on, top quality spoofery. They don't make them like they used to.

medium_4.gif

Leslie Neilsen is an all-time hero of mine.

I must have seen all three Naked Guns 20 times a piece - and still howl wth laughter every time they're on.

Leslie Neilsen is an all-time hero of mine.

I must have seen all three Naked Guns 20 times a piece - and still howl wth laughter every time they're on.

I know i shouldnt, but i really enjoy Spy Hard as well :)

I know i shouldnt, but i really enjoy Spy Hard as well :)

Dick Steele. Legend.

Also, let's not forget the extremely guilty pleasures of Dracula: Dead And Loving It!

Dick Steele. Legend.

Also, let's not forget the extremely guilty pleasures of Dracula: Dead And Loving It!

God, now that is a guilty pleasure!

Nice to see him still rolling and keeping it real in the Scary Movie films.

Incidentally, Hot Shots part Deux was on the other night, one of, if not my favourite comedy of all time

Junebug (2005)

Wonderfully crafted, subtle comedy. Amy Adams' star-making performance. Beautifully bittersweet.

medium_4.gif

Juno

The dialogue did my box in ("He's the cheese to my macaroni"?! FFS), and it was all extremely contrived (as SRB said earlier in the thread), but given that I was all set to hate it in the first 5 minutes, I think it recovered reasonably well. It had a nice wee ending as well.

I just didn't buy into the characters or the story enough to really enjoy it.

Don't believe the hype. It's an OK bit of whimsy, and nothing more.

medium_3.gif

What did you think of Bateman and Garner, Thommo?

I liked Bateman, his performance was a little obvious but I think it rang truer than anything else in the movie.

Garner was OK too. She grew into it, I thought - not so convincing to begin with, but by the end I think she had it. Much like the movie as a whole actually.

I was just a little disappointed the two of them never turned out to be farming children for home-made soup - would have made for a more exciting finish, for sure...:laugh:

I liked Bateman, his performance was a little obvious but I think it rang truer than anything else in the movie.

Garner was OK too. She grew into it, I thought - not so convincing to begin with, but by the end I think she had it. Much like the movie as a whole actually.

I was just a little disappointed the two of them never turned out to be farming children for home-made soup - would have made for a more exciting finish, for sure...:laugh:

I agree about the first 5 mins - my first thought was WTF!? :eek:

My next film review is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - what would you give it?

:P

I agree about the first 5 mins - my first thought was WTF!? :eek:

My next film review is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - what would you give it?

:P

The moment she said "Honest to blog!", I checked my watch and groaned on the inside. Thankfully it never got quite as jarringly smart-arsed again - although it kept the tone, which is why I could never really like it that much.

Order Of The Phoenix is a stonewall 4 star film.

It's class. FACT. :laugh:

Archived