Review the last film you saw

Ryan Gosling

Escape to Victory Redux: Audio Version

The Nazis win 4-0 and John Wark, Pele et al are utterly heartless and shiiiiiite.

No stars.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Escape to Victory Redux: Audio Version

The Nazis win 4-0 and John Wark, Pele et al are utterly heartless and shiiiiiite.

No stars.

i say we sign wark, pele etc for the top 6 run in

Black Book.

Just finished on Film 4.Brilliant foreign war film(seems all good war films are foreign now).A female member of the Dutch Resistance sleeps with an SS Officer to try and obtain valuable secrets.A member of the Dutch resistance is also giving the Germans information.Thrilling ending to a great film.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Slow start, good middle, sad ending. 3/5. And I'd love to pump both of the therapists.

Rambo:

Brutal violence, but as far as these kind of films go, a very good one. Being a Rambo too, I don't think anyone had expectations of Sly doing it justice, which makes it all the more enjoyable that he managed to pull it off!

3.5 Stars

Dead Man

Brilliant,Funny,Bizarre Western.William Blake (Johnny Depp) badly wounded and wrongly accussed of murder meets an American Indian named "Nobody",who believes Blake is the dead English poet of the same name.So begins a journey of violence with some brilliant characters along the way.Beautifully shot,a Jim Jarmusch film with a Neil Young soundtrack.A forgotton classic from the 90's.

A Good Year (Russell Crowe)

High flying city exec is left a big hoose and vineyard in France by his Uncle, it is where he spent some of his childhood. As a hardnosed city plonker he just wants to sell up, but memories start to flood back and he falls in love with the place (and some lovely bird he used to pal about with in the old days).

Suprisingly good film imo.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Rambo:

Brutal violence, but as far as these kind of films go, a very good one. Being a Rambo too, I don't think anyone had expectations of Sly doing it justice, which makes it all the more enjoyable that he managed to pull it off!

3.5 Stars

Why would he not do it justice?

He wrote all the Rambo films.

Angry Haggis

Into the Wild

Not fully made my mind up on this movie, did not not enjoy it initially but on reflection it has its moments.

Nick Fisher (formally of the Sun) says "Worth Frying"....

2.5 out of 5.

Jambojohnnyboy

Lady Vengeance - Having seen Oldboy I had to see this, it's a brilliant and difficult movie to watch. It's not nearly as violent as Oldboy but has some scenes which are incredibly tough to watch. It's really about seeking absolution through revenge and if you have seen Oldboy and Sympathy For Mr Vengeance then you need to round the trilogy off, it's done with a lot of style.

Hilary Briss
Semi Pro

I like Will Ferrell, so I loved this.

It was kinda like the Titanic, but with bears.

I went to see this last night...........funniest film I have seen in ages !!!!

benders big score - futuramas first shot at a film, hard to describe, the plot was completely nonsensical but as a fan of the series i already expected that. funny in parts and the ending was surprisingly heart warming, 3.5 outa 5.

supertroopers - watched it for the 9 millionth time the other day. forking genius 6 outa 5

No Country For Old Men medium_4.gif

Thought it was really good starts off at an amazing pace but kind of loses it a bit in the middle and thought it really should have ended 10 mins before it did.The guy that got the Oscar was superb so for me overall very good not really sure if it desrves best picture Oscar though.

The Golden Compassmedium_4.gif

Just finished watching this and thought it was brilliant and can't wait for the next one.

Resident Evil:Extinctionmedium_3.gif

It's ok switch your brain off stuff i have given it a 3 but maybe a 2.5 would suit it more.It's def the best in the series though.

Got Juno,Before The Devil Knows,Enchanted and We Own The Night to watch this week.

3.5 / 5

Stylish, gory, convincing special effects and entertaining enough for the most part. However there's only so many times you can watch peoples limbs being chopped off in sword fights before it starts to get a bit boring. Overall it was decent if a bit daft.

3.5 / 5

Stylish, gory, convincing special effects and entertaining enough for the most part. However there's only so many times you can watch peoples limbs being chopped off in sword fights before it starts to get a bit boring. Overall it was decent if a bit daft.

Watched the same film this morning.Nothing special,big letdown for me.

AlexJambo88

semi pro

if u like anchorman or will ferrell this film is defo for you its absolutly hillarious especially the gun scene

Craig Gordons Gloves

Juno - 3.5 out of 5, good film to watch on a sunday night - funny in bits, quite sad in bits (although doesn't mean to be) and takes place not all that far from my house!

Michael Clayton - 2.5/5 - dunno why everyone slavered over this film for awards etc, bit slow and boring. Tilda Swinton is one horrifying looking woman, clooney does his usual - Tom Wilkinson and Sidney Pollack are very very good though.

Can't do the stars thing!

Oh, and watched waynes world last night - party time, excellent!

Hilary Briss
absolutly hillarious especially the gun scene

Yep, that was funny. Jackie Moon's rant at the ref was classic ;)

U2 3D

****[/b]

3D effect is something else.

At times you almost feel as if you are on the stage, at other times you feel part of the audience.

John Findlay

Flags of our Fathers on DVD.

Clint Eastwood. Not the greatest actor in the world but in my humble opinion one of the greatest directors.

True. The men themselves never see themselves as heroes but the propaganda machines(mainly governments) do.

Excellent film. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

John

Commander Harris

The Bank Job

"based on a true story" heist movie set in the 70s.

MI5/6 set up a bank job to recover some damaging photos of a royal, unknown to the criminals actually doing the robbery.

Entertaining enough, not brilliant but a half decent film. Better than the usual "british" crime drama.

:star::star:?

ToadKiller Dog

Untraceablemedium_3.gif

Just back from this film,was ok,to be honest was much the same as your standard US cop show ,a slight bit of suspense and the young guy played the killer well enough.but the plot had a few week points.

Dead Man's Shoes

Seriously underwhelming, no idea what all the fuss was about, even for a low budget flick the script, direction and acting were fairly dire. A very simple British revenge flick that seems to attempt some sort of stab (excuse the pun) at a moral statement about the pointlessness of it all. Seen it all before.

medium_2.gif

Why would he not do it justice?

He wrote all the Rambo films.

Yes, and he also wrote Rocky 5 :rolleyes:

But I didn't really mean he couldn't write a decent rambo script, but more to do with him being a bit older, could he still make it believable. There will always be doubters that a film ten years or so after the last one is made just for the sake of it.

But I'm happy to say I really enjoyed it!

no country for old men. excellent film, javier bardem freaks you right out, very disturbing indeed. awesome performance

Ryan Gosling

Be Kind Rewind (2007, dir. Michel Gondry)

Fun, if kinda bland. The 'sweded' scenes are the best.

medium_3.gif

chester copperpot

Fever Pitch.

A must for Arsenal fans, its even quite enjoyable as a Liverpool fan, so many similarities in that film to my own life.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

A brilliant documentary that follows Steve Wiebe as he tries to take the world high score for the arcade game Donkey Kong from reigning champion Billy Mitchell.Fascinating,funny and hard to believe adults could act like this over an arcade game.

Bad Santa

A little out of season for a Christmas film but i thought it was brilliant Billy Bob is very good and you can never fail with a midget in the cast.Oh it has to be the unrated version you watch.

4/5

Dirk Diggler
A Good Year (Russell Crowe)

High flying city exec is left a big hoose and vineyard in France by his Uncle, it is where he spent some of his childhood. As a hardnosed city plonker he just wants to sell up, but memories start to flood back and he falls in love with the place (and some lovely bird he used to pal about with in the old days).

Suprisingly good film imo.

I've got stars that look like that on the inside of my freezer.

:biggrin:

I've got stars that look like that on the inside of my freezer.

:biggrin:

Never heard of it, is it good?

:)

Death Sentence

Revenge movie starring Kevin(never bad in a movie)Bacon.Brilliant from start to finnish basically his eldest son is killed in front of him at a gas station by a gang of youths and he then takes revenge.

5 out Of 5

Dirk Diggler
Death Sentence

Revenge movie starring Kevin(never bad in a movie)Bacon.Brilliant from start to finnish basically his eldest son is killed in front of him at a gas station by a gang of youths and he then takes revenge.

5 out Of 5

Agreed Brashy.

I really enjoyed it also.

BEOWULF

Thought it was pretty dam good and the animation is probably the best i have seen in a film.Ray Winstone is a bit dodgy in the voice casting as Beowolf(his over the top way of saying monster done my head in)but other than that i though it was really good.

4/5

RAMBO

Pretty good but just to dam short.The movie is basically only 1 hr 10mins long taking out the credits.Much better than 2 and 3 but still no First Blood.

3.5/5

Crash

5/5

Watched it on channel 4 last night. It really is a brilliant film. Very clever film that deals with the prejudices of people, and this is brought out superbly by the character development

Crash

5/5

Watched it on channel 4 last night. It really is a brilliant film. Very clever film that deals with the prejudices of people, and this is brought out superbly by the character development

I watched it too, and while it was a good film i didnt think it was that great. Over-pretentious and over-worthy oscar craving slog is how i'd desribe it.

I'd give it 3/5, but due to the fact that it had the sterophonics playing at the end, it automatically gets demoted to minus5/5

American Gangster

Dir Ridley Scott

Ridley Scott's most recent film, about an up and comping Harlem Gangster (a superb Washington) which contrasts his fortunes with that of a downtrodden NY Detective (a nicely underplayed Crowe). Great cinematography and period setting (Scott tempers his usual beautiful cinematography to great effect), some great scenes but the film peters out without the climax it probably deserved. A tad too meandering at times.

4star.jpg

No Country For Old Men

Dir Coen Brothers

Coen brothers take on Cormac McCarthy's novel of the same name. Llewellyn Moss (Josh Brolin) stumbles on a drug deal in the desert that has went badly wrong and decides to help himself to the $2 million proceeds, He soon finds keeping the money is much harder than gaining it. Pursued by the Mexican dealers, Tommy Lee Jones ageing Sherriff Bell and the seemingly unstoppable assasin Chigurgh (played to great effect by Javier Bardem) who is driven by a moral-compass and set of rules that appear unfathomable to the pursing Sheriff. Stark, bleak and resolutely unflinching in it's portrayal of violence and an absolute masterpiece. Bear in mind a fair number people have found the ending either annoying of unfathomable mind you and it's certainly not an uplifting film.

5star.jpg

North Berwick Jambo

Vantage Point

vantage-point.jpg

I watched this online last night & i thought it was superb, i dont want to spoil it by talking about the plot etc so all i will say is that its one of the best films i have seen in the last few years.

Well worth watching. 9/10 ;)

Libertonian_II
Vantage Point

vantage-point.jpg

I watched this online last night & i thought it was superb, i dont want to spoil it by talking about the plot etc so all i will say is that its one of the best films i have seen in the last few years.

Well worth watching. 9/10 ;)

Plot or lack of it, is the operative word!

Still it was enjoyable even if the continual 'flashbacks' got a bit annoying. I still don't know how Dennis Quaid managed to drive so fast and furious while using his mobile at the same time!

2.5 stars from me

chester copperpot

Watched best sequel ever.

Die Hard 2 Die Harder.

Best ever sequel, my fav film of all time.

That is all.

North Berwick Jambo
Plot or lack of it, is the operative word!

Still it was enjoyable even if the continual 'flashbacks' got a bit annoying. I still don't know how Dennis Quaid managed to drive so fast and furious while using his mobile at the same time!

2.5 stars from me

Ooh your hard to please! ;)

I like the different approach taken by the director & a few well placed twists made it more enjoyable for me than many of the usual ideas pumped out of Hollywood.

Patrick Bateman
Watched best sequel ever.

Die Hard 2 Die Harder.

Best ever sequel, my fav film of all time.

That is all.

Behave! Aliens or Terminator 2 are the best sequels of all time!

Dean Winchester
Behave! Aliens or Terminator 2 are the best sequels of all time!

Not sure about Aliens but T2 is still one of my favourite movies of all time (inched out just by Back to the Future).

I reckon I might go watch the T1+T2 again actually, give me a bit of a refresher with The Sarah Connor Chronicles on now

Archived