Review the last film you saw

Ryan Gosling

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can't remember what it was called.

there wasn't much plot. a man with a moustache and a german accent turned up at a young girlies flat to fix the washing machine.....

I can't wait to see it, very excited for the first time in ages about a film.

Don't you watch "Adult Westerns" any more? Hrm....

:P

Jambojohnnyboy

Watched 'The Invincible Iron Man' with the boys yesterday morning.

Not a bad wee cartoon movie. Ideal for getting ready for the live action version later this year.

medium_3.gif

Goodbye Lenin.

medium_4.gif

Good film which tells alot about what happened to Germany after the Berlin wall came down.

Love it - I'll give it 4 too.

3:10 Yuma

Fecking awful. an illogical, craptastic waste of film. Very little in the way of plot. I guess I'll just never like Westerns :(

medium_2.gif

3:10 Yuma

Fecking awful. an illogical, craptastic waste of film. Very little in the way of plot. I guess I'll just never like Westerns :(

medium_2.gif

Having read your posts on here, it's safe to say - when you don't like a film it's good.

:D

NO Country for Old Men.

Just back from the flicks and I don't quite know where to start. I love the Coen Bros' films and this is no exception and it feels as if they're back to the clever stuff. It's beautifully shot and reminds me of Fargo, but dry Texas heat and not a flake of snow in sight. It's scary - the film doesn't hide the violence except in an unexpected scene towards the end and there's as much blood and gore as any filmgoer could be expected to take. The characters are strong and absorbing; the main character we follow is truly evil - he scares the life out of me .. and others..

The Coen humour comes in to the frame occasionally but nothing like Fargo or the Big Lebowski, here it's much much darker and there's no clowning.

Whether it's to your taste or not, I reckon this is a film which will be watched and re-watched for years to come

I agree :cool:

Charlie Wilsons War- **** Loved Hoffman and thought it really funny and pretty intelligent

Into the Blue- *** Jessica Alba in teeny swimsuits, not bad

Hoodwinked- **** absolute dancer of a CGI film, better than most others of the genre (and I've pretty much seen them all)

Walter Bishop

The Devil`s rejects - ***

Was on itv 4 last night, pyscho serial killer family just killing people for the fun of it, worth watching just to check out Sheri Moon Zombie!!! STUNNA!! :dribble:

Geordie Jambo

The Waterhorse

Saw the European Premiere on Saturday morning at the ODEON on Lothian Road.

Very good film, fantasic scenery.

medium_4.gif

No Country for Old men

Superb modern Western from the Cohen brothers.

I don't really want to say too much without spoiling it. Just go and see.

medium_5.gif

Didnt rate it, slow, quite interesting but a film that could have taken 30mins lasted for a lot longer. Ends abruptly and by the end of the film I think me and my mates were the only ones left in the cinema!

Aliens vs. Predator

Mmmm..enjoyed Alien & Aliens movies and Predator.

This however is Jobbies.

medium_1.gif

Nick Fisher - "Codswallop"

to be fair, what did you expect?

didn't you see the first one?

I enjoyed it, doesn't mean it wasn't woeful.

;)

Sweeney Todd

Good film very well done. Lots of blood so not for the faint of heart. Too much singing for my liking but it is a musical! My better half would give it 5 outta 5 but only because of Mr Depp. Id give it 4 outta 5 because it was a very good movie without being outstanding.

Alien vs Predator 2

medium_1.gif

Utter pish, no storyline what so ever and as soon as any charachter get's semi-interesting or a plot begins to develop it's killed off.

Don't get me wrong, like horror(if you could call it that) films as much as anyone but killing pregnant women in a hospital doesn't really impress me anymore...

The Lives of Others

medium_4.gif

German film set in the early 80s in East Germany before the Berlin wall came down. Follows the story of a Strasi (secret police) Officer and his mission to spy on a famous playwriter. An intriguing story unravels that makes for some good chilled Sunday night viewing.

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lives_of_others/#synopsis

My favourite film of last year. Great stuff.

Ronin

Just watched it on CH5, remembered why I loved it the first time I saw it.

Good plot, twists, great cast and, most of all, some feckin great car-chases. Genius all round

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

From a couple of reviews and the trailer it looked like it could be good...apparently not though!

Nothing behind the plot whatsoever, kept jumping about in time and just very strange

Waste of time and money

medium_1.gif

Kenny

Australian film about a guy involved in "Corporate bathroom rental plumbing" He installs, maintains and empties portaloos. Starts off in a very documentary style.... almost "Royle Family" atmosphere with not much happenning. Kenny has a bit of a lisp so his "s" sounds like "sh". Obviously he has to say sit quite a lot...this is surprisingly amusing for quite a while. Things take off when he gets to go to a Toilet Expo in the USA, he fixes the bog on the plane when it clogs up, gets chatting to the air stewardess, sells a load of toilets to the Japanese, gets offered promotion etc.

Kenny works in a job that is literally **** but comes across as sensible , funny and endearing. Little bit of a father son bonding before his old man dies...the end

Good film

Cloverfield

medium_4.gif

Reminds me of the Blair Witch Trials.

Warning: If you get motion sickness, then this is not the movie for you.

Also, this is not your typical feel good or need to know the very end of the story kind of movie. The end of the movie is the reaction that everyone is talking about. You do not leave the theatre saying... "I see what they were saying" or gives you that Hollywood feel good moment.

Kenny

Australian film about a guy involved in "Corporate bathroom rental plumbing" He installs, maintains and empties portaloos. Starts off in a very documentary style.... almost "Royle Family" atmosphere with not much happenning. Kenny has a bit of a lisp so his "s" sounds like "sh". Obviously he has to say sit quite a lot...this is surprisingly amusing for quite a while. Things take off when he gets to go to a Toilet Expo in the USA, he fixes the bog on the plane when it clogs up, gets chatting to the air stewardess, sells a load of toilets to the Japanese, gets offered promotion etc.

Kenny works in a job that is literally **** but comes across as sensible , funny and endearing. Little bit of a father son bonding before his old man dies...the end

Good film

Good to see it get a good review here.Read nothing but good reports about this film.

Shoot 'Em Up.

Brilliant rubbish.Just what a dvd film should be.Over the top shootouts,slick and stylish action thriller from begining to end.A brilliant baddie in Paul Giamatti.A gorgeous bit of eye candy in Monica Bellucci.Okay Clive Owen never quite pulled off the leading role but for a brainless non stop action film it was great.4/5....

Zero if you like a good plot and take everything serious though.:)

Commander Harris

Sweeney Todd:

Beautifully filmed, very impressive cinamatography, well acted all round - but let down, IMO, by the blandness of the songs. Not enough variety musically.

Still an enjoyable film.

medium_3.gif

The Kite Runner

Young exiled Afghan man living in San Francisco has to return to his homeland and risk capture by the Taliban in order to sort out a family affair. His childhood in pre-Soviet invasion Afghanistan is narrated via flashback. Beautifully shot (mainly in China, apparently) and a riveting storyline. I've read lots of criticism of the film, but I thought it was outstanding.

4 stars.

Dan in Real Life...My 9 year old daughter (Tyne) took me to see it on Friday night for my Birthday!!

AVOID THIS SHEEITE AT ALL COSTS!!

My Daughter even appologised after it...She's grounded for a Month!! ;)

Jambojohnnyboy

I finally got around to watching Miami Vice.

Well if you forget that the series ever existed then you have a pretty good cops and bad guys movie, there is no build up however you are just thrown into the plot and it takes off. I also thought that for two guys that were supposed to be playing cop partners there was a distinct lack of any chemistry between the two leads.

Looks good though and is nowhere near a complete let down.

3 and a half stars.

I finally got around to watching Miami Vice.

Well if you forget that the series ever existed then you have a pretty good cops and bad guys movie, there is no build up however you are just thrown into the plot and it takes off. I also thought that for two guys that were supposed to be playing cop partners there was a distinct lack of any chemistry between the two leads.

Looks good though and is nowhere near a complete let down.

3 and a half stars.

They're not really meant to be 'buddies' though.

Anyway -

No Country For Old Men (2007)

Incredible visuals, entrancing performances, only a few things don't work but not enough to take marks off.

medium_5.gif

Went to see Silent Light - Stellet Licht - on Saturday.

Art house-y. A story of marital infidelity in a Mennonite family in Mexico played by non-professional actors (I presume local Mennonites). Time lapse sunsets and lots of long meaningful shots with very little dialogue but some memorable, if slightly bizarre, scenes - the non-gadget family sitting in the back of a SUV in hysterics watching a black and white DVD of Jacques Brel in a 60s concert singing in French about taking sweeties to his lovers.

I actually quite enjoyed the film but it's certainly not to everyone's taste and I found the style of direction a wee bit tiresome after a while. The apparent acceptance of the husband/father's affair by the men in this fiercely religious community was surprising and the intensity of the main characters' despair, very unsettling.

Subtitles - not for the impatient.

Commander Harris
Sweeney Todd:

Beautifully filmed, very impressive cinamatography, well acted all round - but let down, IMO, by the blandness of the songs. Not enough variety musically.

Still an enjoyable film.

medium_3.gif

I've changed my mind - I'm a mercurial sort. :)

on reflection this filmed rocked big time.

medium_4.gif

Still think the rather operatic score doesn't work too well in a movie, I'd love to see it live with singers that can really carry it off though.

Stardust.

Brilliant fantasy adventure starring Michelle Pfeiffer,Robert De Niro and Claire Danes.From wicked witches to dashing princes, flying pirates to dueling swordsmen, magical spells to mystical destiny's.

Stardust begins in the sleepy English village of Wall, so named for the wall that has for hundreds of years kept the villagers safely apart form the strange supernatural realm that lies just on the other side of the wall.

It is here that young Tristan Thorne (Charlie Cox) makes a promise to the prettiest girl in the village (Sienna Miller), whose heart he hopes to win.He promises her he will bring her back a fallen star.In order to make his promise Tristan will have to cross the forbidden wall and enter a mysterious land. After that a brilliant family film of good v evil for everyone to enjoy.

Juno

:fing10:

I give it 5 stars! * * * * *

"Juno is a whip-smart teen confronting an unplanned pregnancy by her classmate Bleeker. With the help of her hot best friend Leah, Juno finds her unborn child a "perfect" set of parents: an affluent suburban couple, Mark and Vanessa, longing to adopt. Luckily, Juno has the total support of her parents as she faces some tough decisions, flirts with adulthood and ultimately figures out where she belongs." (copied from Yahoo movies)

Juno's character is very snarky and lovable...unbelievable people dialogue that actually makes sense and not contrived to make it look witty but IS witty.

Sweeney Todd

Dragged along to it by the wife. Wasn't looking forward to a musical, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Interesting storyline with a twist at the end. Johnny Depps acting was excellent and the sets and gore effects were pretty cool.

medium_4.gif

Juno

:fing10:

I give it 5 stars! * * * * *

"Juno is a whip-smart teen confronting an unplanned pregnancy by her classmate Bleeker. With the help of her hot best friend Leah, Juno finds her unborn child a "perfect" set of parents: an affluent suburban couple, Mark and Vanessa, longing to adopt. Luckily, Juno has the total support of her parents as she faces some tough decisions, flirts with adulthood and ultimately figures out where she belongs." (copied from Yahoo movies)

Juno's character is very snarky and lovable...unbelievablepeople dialogue that actually makes sense and not contrived to make it look witty but IS witty.

Are you joking? That film was the most contrived lump of **** I've seen in years :eek:. Every character's dialog is far too alike, a cardinal sin in writing. Terrible writing, terrible film. I can't believe what passes for a good film these days. First Garden State, now this crap gets hailed as a masterpiece!?

BTW that Michael Cera might have been OK in Arrested Development but he has to be one of the most one dimensional actors in Hollywood, he is the same in everything!

Kenny

Good film

Really enjoyed that film as well..."You want some marriage advice - cut out the middle man....find someone you hate and buy them a house!"

Just saw Cloverfield and really enjoyed that too **** Well worth a watch.

Archived