Ryan Gosling

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Bruges

5star.jpg

Just back from seeing this and thought it was excellent

Great interplay between the 2 lead actors, with Colin Farell, especially, superb.

It has an excellent script, with comedy throughout, and the struggles of the main characters portrayed very well

I can't remember enjoying a film at the cinema as much for over 6 months

Commander Harris

ooh! glad this one got bumped again, cracking thread. :)

just watched Vertigo again, still blooming marvellous even after an obscene amount of views.

:star::star::star::star::star:

We watched two films last night:

Army of Darkness aka Evil Dead 3 aka Bruce Campbell v. The Army of Darkness (1992). Give me some sugar, baby; although it can't compare to the first film, this is still a classic, campy horror-comedy. If only Raimi would tire of the Spiderman films and reunite with Campbell to direct the long-mooted fourth and final installment...

Quien Puede Matar a Un Nino (1976): A couple decide to escape the weariness of the world by vacationing on a remote Spanish island, only to discover that the children of the island have other plans for them. Shockingly nihilistic and with ideas above its station, I'd recommend this to horror fans and adevnturous cinephiles...

cyanide_cid
Behave! Aliens or Terminator 2 are the best sequels of all time!

Not in my opinion...

Best sequels...

1. The Godfather Part II

2. The Empire Strkes Back

3. Aliens

Then there is always...

Terminator 2

Lord of the Rings 'The Two Towers'

Mad Max II

Star Trek II 'The Wrath of Khan'

Dawn of the Dead (The original)

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Toy story 2

Evil Dead II

• 2 months later...
Say What Again

Had the misfortune of watching The Devil Wears Prada last night.

Utter mince.

The entire film in less than 25 words:

Girl gets job with New York fashion magazine. Girls decides she doesn't want to be like the people in that industry so quits.

medium_1.gif

It gets 1 star purely because Anne Hathaway is stunning throughout. :wub::heartpump:

DevilWearsPradaAnneHathaway2.jpg

The Constant Gardener 7.5/10

Enjoyed this, some class acting performances and a good plot.

Cloverfield 6/10

Stupid, in some parts very stupid, but the effects were excellent and I liked the camcorder-style perspective on the events.

Mamma Mia

Was in Gold Class at the Omni with the girlfiend for this last saturday.

Thought the story was awful, acting was dodgy but singing was OK (apart from Pierce Brosnan!!)

On the upside though as you can take drink in all the older generation were on bottles of wine (which they drank the bar dry off!) and started to sing and dance. One of the funniest things I have seen at the cinema for a long time!

Film - 3/10

Crowd - 20/10!!

Mamma Mia

Thought the story was awful, acting was dodgy but singing was OK (apart from Pierce Brosnan!!)

On the upside though as you can take drink in all the older generation were on bottles of wine (which they drank the bar dry off!) and started to sing and dance. One of the funniest things I have seen at the cinema for a long time!

Film - 3/10

Crowd - 20/10!!

That sounds truly awful. Especially the pished old folk signing and dancing in the cinema.

Mamma Mia

Film - 3/10

Crowd - 20/10!!

I saw sex and the city in 'the gallery', sounds the same to me. Folk had way too many bottles of wine and were laughing a bits that weren't the slightest bit funny.

rudi must stay

Saw Mamma Mia yesterday. Not a great story and probably more of a girls film. bits of it thought were quite funny, thought Julie Walters was excellent in it. I hope that they put in Pierce Brosnan for a laugh cos he was horrendous, thought the rest of them were good singers though

5/10

Saw Mamma Mia yesterday. Not a great story and probably more of a girls film. bits of it thought were quite funny, thought Julie Walters was excellent in it. I hope that they put in Pierce Brosnan for a laugh cos he was horrendous, thought the rest of them were good singers though

5/10

To be fair though she is the UK's best actress at this moment in time.

Rescue Dawn.

Based on the true story of Dieter Dengler an American pilot captured during the Vietnam war.Good film.7/10.

Jeremiah Johnson.

Great western about the struggles of a mountain man,seeking solitude in the wilderness.8/10

Wall-E.

The animation and effects in this movie are the best I've seen, the story is good and has a strong moral to it. You really feel for the wee robot at times, reminds me of ET.

Solid 8/10

Hanibal Rising

on DVD.

Very interesting to see why Hanibal ended up the way he did in the other 2 films.

This is a prequel to those films and starts with hanibal living in a castle in Lithunia during the war. If your a fan of the films you will find this very interesting and not quite what you would expect. Not too gory so you can force the missus to sit through this one if you've just been dragged to see mama mia! There are a couple of head turning moments but you would complain if here weren't any at all I suppose!

The guy who plays the young Hanibal is very freaky and great for the part

OUTPOST

A Scottish horror film with an unrecognisable cast and achieved, apparently, on a fairly minimal (sub 1m) budget. Oh pish, I hear you say, let's leave the cinema now.

But it's really not that bad at all. A bunch of mercenaries in the depths of strife-torn Eastern Europe stumble into the remnants of a WW2 Nazi science experiment gone horribly wrong.

Yup, that's right, undead and indestructible Nazis, who pick off the hapless mercenaries one by one until... well, you know the genre expectations as well as I do, and I have to say the film delivers professionally enough, with a few genuinely unnerving moments.

Although it's direct-to-DVD fodder for late night no-brainer viewing, it's well beyond good enough to succeed in that market.

And frankly, I far preferred it to the appallingly nilihistic miserablist mince that Scotland's served up in recent years, to the greater detriment of what passes for an industry up here. Step up, L. Ramsay, D. MacKenzie, P. Mullan et al... and f... off.

I was entertained. Not greatly, but entertained.

medium_3.gif

David Mackenzie directed one of my favourite films of all-time, The Last Great Wilderness. Haven't seen any of his other movies though.

In Bruges

C'mon, I was expecting this to be good. Poorly cobbled together garbage that has no plot and no laughs, no Colin Farrell getting chased by a fat yank is'nt funny, sorry gave away the whole movie there. May well have been written by an 11 year old boy(?) Gets one extra star as it had a midget in it.

medium_2.gif

Death at a Funeral

A lighthearted comedy set at a funeral where just about everything goes wrong. Unlike 'In Bruges' it did have a plot and some good gags and it also had a midget in it!

medium_4.gif

Kung Fu Panda.

Not special, but it had a panda in it doing kung fu, so five stars.

medium_5.gif

Oh and there was a monkey in it.

Heres Rixxy

Boondock Saints

An oldie now, but my mate had been harping on at me to watch it (they are from Boston!). Thought it was going to be gash but turned out it was pretty damn good. Plus Willem Dafoe is superb throughout (and funny!).

medium_4.gif

28 weeks later, decent but not as good as the first, predictable ending although a happy one seeing the frogs with the virus:cool::cool:

Saw The Dark Knight on Wednesday. I'll make it simple, just go and see it! It totally lives up to the hype and then more! Even if you didn't enjoy Batman Begins, I think you'd like it. Not only THE best comic book adaptation, but one of the best films I've ever seen, with perhaps the best villain I've ever seen.

Can't be bothered with the stars but I'd say 9.5/10. Reserving full marks until I see it at the IMAX!!

A.I

Stuck this on after browsing through my old DVDs for something to watch, forgot how good it is. Utterly brilliant. Kubrick's blunt view (via Aldiss) of the fultility of mankind's dreams told with Spielberg's visual flair makes for a masterpiece. Never really liked any of Kubrick's own work but I know where the guy was coming from and this is a much more accessible vehicle for his philosophical vision IMO.

medium_5.gif

Carl Spackler

Watched my Caddyshack DVD this afternoon. Again.

Harold Ramis is a genius. The Gopher, Bill Murray, Judge Smails, racist jokes, the judge's niece, Chevvy Chase (na na na na na), the crass developer and the golf bag, a Japanese guy called Wang, the film has everything.

One of the best films of all time, up there with Animal House, Blazin Saddles and Airplane.

5 Stars

AI really isn't good
It's a flawed work (some of the acting/script) but philisophically and technically there are not many films these days that are anywhere near as ambitious. I guess it also depends what version you interpreted.

PsychocAndy

It's been a couple of weeks but

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull.

I wish I had gone to see sex in the city instead.

Wargames - the Dead code

A definate leave your brain at the door type movie. Tries to be happening and is very derivative of lots of other movies. Delivers no real surprises or shocks in it.

4/10

Patrick Bateman
A.I

Stuck this on after browsing through my old DVDs for something to watch, forgot how good it is. Utterly brilliant. Kubrick's blunt view (via Aldiss) of the fultility of mankind's dreams told with Spielberg's visual flair makes for a masterpiece. Never really liked any of Kubrick's own work but I know where the guy was coming from and this is a much more accessible vehicle for his philosophical vision IMO.

medium_5.gif

Interesting, I thought it was a piece of media-hyped garbage myself. It also got 5 Stars from Empire, but I don't understand how. Its nihilist cinema at its worst.

2/5 (For some decent photography)

Interesting, I thought it was a piece of media-hyped garbage myself. It also got 5 Stars from Empire, but I don't understand how. Its nihilist cinema at its worst.
oi ;)

BTW considering it's a Spielberg film it got relatively little media hype and it's run was about a month at the cinema.

It split opinion, from what I read of the reviews, most folk who hated it were thrown by the ending and the 'fairy tale' elements. The metaphors about love, Human nature and God went right over their head. The only other high profile film I can think of that explores similar territory is 2001.

Anything with Kubrick's name attached is going to be bleak. I just thought it is one of the most unique and interesting films of the 21st century, not least because the clash between Spielberg (master of the hollywood fairytale) and Kubrick (the very opposite) mirrors the way the plot unfolds. That's part of the reason it split audiences IMO, because it had Spielberg's name on the credits a lot of people took it too literally.

Everybody loves Baz

Charlie Chaplin and the Temple of Doom.

Thought it was rubbish, the piano music was well out of sync with the pictures.

** 2 Stars

Archived