Review the last film you saw

Ryan Gosling

Make this like the cooler version of the last song you listened to.

Use these star ratings if you wish.

medium_1.gif

medium_2.gif

medium_3.gif

medium_4.gif

medium_5.gif

Witness (1985)

Harrison Ford's best role IMO. Ford plays a cop investigating the murder witnessed by a young Amish boy.

medium_5.gif

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Commander Harris

Charlie Wilson's War (2008)

Rather strange "historical comedy" starring Tom Hanks.

Interesting story but the peculiar mix of serious subject matter and an irreverent, comedic approach made for an uneasy watch.

Philip Seymour Hoffman rocked as always though.

medium_2.gif

Interesting story but the peculiar mix of serious subject matter and an irreverent, comedic approach made for an uneasy watch.

medium_2.gif

I thought it was very good, personally. Maybe you watched it with the wrong approach? That's what the original Charlie Wilson was like, if you've seen your documentaries.

:D

Just saw Cast Away on BBC1.

Forgot how good it was. Utterly compelling viewing and an acting tour de force by Tom Hanks.

5Stars.gif

Commander Harris
I thought it was very good, personally. Maybe you watched it with the wrong approach? That's what the original Charlie Wilson was like, if you've seen your documentaries.

I enjoyed it, I just found it rather strange.

Patrick Bateman

No Country for Old men

Superb modern Western from the Cohen brothers.

I don't really want to say too much without spoiling it. Just go and see.

medium_5.gif

All the President's Men

medium_4.gif

Liked the fact they just told the story from one side and didn't go into any other irrelvant detail. If it were made today there would have to be a love story angle and probably follow a 'baddy' from the other.

The Lives of Others

medium_4.gif

German film set in the early 80s in East Germany before the Berlin wall came down. Follows the story of a Strasi (secret police) Officer and his mission to spy on a famous playwriter. An intriguing story unravels that makes for some good chilled Sunday night viewing.

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_lives_of_others/#synopsis

medium_2.gif

Would disagree, i think its a cracking film.

Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance is outstanding. If you go expecting a comedy then yes youll be confused. If you go expecting a factual

documentary, youll also be dissapointed, but if you just want to see a thoughtful and cleverly put together film, this is one for you.

youll get a grand mix of entertainment, history delivered in a tongue in cheek fashion whislt maintaining a air of dignity and seriousness, a very hard thing to do well.

The only down side is Julia Roberts' wig looks awful everytime you see it.

medium_4.gif

Brian Whittaker's Tache
No Country for Old men

Superb modern Western from the Cohen brothers.

I don't really want to say too much without spoiling it. Just go and see.

medium_5.gif

Diitto for me

Dark, brooding, phenomonally good characters. A return to form for the Coens

Dont expect laughs ala Big Lebowski or Fargo this is more like Blood Simple

Make this like the cooler version of the last song you listened to.

Witness (1985)

Harrison Ford's best role IMO. Ford plays a cop investigating the murder witnessed by a young Amish boy.

medium_5.gif

Must watch that again. Fabulous film great photography and score.

Acting is fantastic and there is something about Kelly McGillis in that film ...:dribble:

I P Knightley

Bee Movie (2007)

****e.

Absolute, Godawful ****e.

[edit] And I see the sweary filter's back up and running...

Dan in Real Life

Quite an amusing film, not one I would rush out to see, but not bad nevertheless.

It's a sort of film the Cineworld card was invented for, one that you may not normally go and see but because you have the unlimited pass, its worth it!

I am Legend

A bit disappointed really, it was moving along nicely then the last third was a load of pants. Will Smith partially redeemed the film but I wouldn't bother watching it again.

Commander Harris
Would disagree, i think its a cracking film.

Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance is outstanding. If you go expecting a comedy then yes youll be confused. If you go expecting a factual

documentary, youll also be dissapointed, but if you just want to see a thoughtful and cleverly put together film, this is one for you.

youll get a grand mix of entertainment, history delivered in a tongue in cheek fashion whislt maintaining a air of dignity and seriousness, a very hard thing to do well.

The only down side is Julia Roberts' wig looks awful everytime you see it.

medium_4.gif

My 2 star rating was maybe a bit harsh and I already acknowledged PSH, just don't think they achieved the balance you suggest. To reiterate, I did think it was a good film, just not a excellent film.

chester copperpot

Balls of Fury.

Well thats 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back. How do I do negative starts.

The Bucket List

Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson.

Okay but could have been a lot better.

2.5 Stars.

the voice from above

three burial of melquiades estrada.

amusing in parts (including perhaps the funniest sex scene ever filmed), boring as all hell in others, tommy lee jones mental collapse is pretty impressive work though, was hoping for something more, and am hoping for far better from and very much looking forward to 'no country for old men' and 'there will be blood' DDL = Legend!

no country for old men,

great first 3/4's then the last half hour was rubbish and spoilt the rest of the film. overhyped beacause it is made by the coen brothers.

DejaVu - Denzel Washsington is an ATF agent looking into the 'death' of a woman after a boat full of kids and Navy Seals blew up. But then there is this machine and he goes back in time.

medium_3.gif

EDIT: What is the song on the advert for Tom Hanks new film?

EDIT 2: Cheers. Nice one.

Patrick Bateman
no country for old men,

great first 3/4's then the last half hour was rubbish and spoilt the rest of the film. overhyped beacause it is made by the coen brothers.

Without wanting to spoil things; the use of monologues brackets the film perfectly.

Stardust

Silly comedy fairy tale set in some alternate version of England where there is a hole in a wall that leads to a fantasy world where some dude finds a fallen star that is actually Claire Danes. Great performance from Robert de Niro, don't want to spoil that for anyone who has not seen it. All in all a good film that never takes itself seriously, a welcome break from the huge amount of humourless, pretensious crap that is about ATM. Some very good deadpan comedy moments.

medium_5.gif

Superbad

Super awful. Whoever told this lot of new writers they could write needs shot. Terrible film made up of very unfunny random events, mostly just penis jokes and drinking beer. Drivel

medium_2.gif

Currently on Download List;

No Country for Old Men (I am no big fan of the Coens, last attempt to see what the fuss is about, expecting to be dissapointed) :)

Sleeping Dogs Lie

Atonement

3:10 to Yuma

Down in the Valley

Bender's Big Score

At the cinema:

St Trinians - medium_1.gif

Wasn't aroused once (despite the mrs assuring me otherwise).

At home:

Superbad - medium_3.gif

It's ok; Michael Cera is excellent, and the "nerd rage" moments are good, but the ending's not up to much, and there's too much screen time for the guy who was in "Knocked Up".

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Control

Life of Ian Curtis.

Frighteningly believable performance by Sam Riley. Where he is singing into the microphone and the camera comes up close and you see him rolling his eyes it is quite remarkable. And eerie.

All the acting is of an incredibly high standard. The actors who played Sumner and Hookie amazing too. And Samantha Morton, well, she is sheer class.

Very good film. Sad though.

5 out of 6.

Jambojohnnyboy
Die Hard 4.0

Give it up Bruce. You're too old for that carry on now.

I just saw this too, got to say that I really enjoyed it, besides Charlie Bronson was still kicking ass years after drawing his pension.

This is England...Great performance by Thomas Turgoose as Shaun and a great soundtrack but still not the masterpiece as everyone made out.3/5.

Seraphin Falls.Superbly shot film.Stunning scenery.Great story with a crap ending.3/5.

"American Gangster"

Nothing new, better Gangster films out there by a mile.

As Nick Fisher formally of The Sun newspaper would say.. "Codswallop...."

Ok maybe a bit harsh..."Worth Frying..."

Walter Bishop
I am Legend.

A complete waste of time and money.

At last someone who agrees with me on this film!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

"Atonement"

Despite the hype it was incredibly boring. Nicely photographed though and Keira Knightley was in it.:dribble:

ToadKiller Dog
At last someone who agrees with me on this film!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I am Legend

The dog was the only good thing in the film canine oscar for her.

The film was it funded by the Christian right in America ?with its message of human meddling caused the illness but dont mind god will help the good few survive?

This type of film has been done before and a lot better.

Patrick Bateman

I suggest everyone who was disappointed with I Am Legend should watch Omega Man with Charlton Heston. What a film.

Commander Harris
Come on people. Use the stars.

I'll help you out :biggrin: - here's the code including tags for each star.

medium_1.gif [noparse]medium_1.gif[/noparse]

medium_2.gif [noparse]medium_2.gif[/noparse]

medium_3.gif [noparse]medium_3.gif[/noparse]

medium_4.gif [noparse]medium_4.gif[/noparse]

medium_5.gif [noparse]medium_5.gif[/noparse]

Black Snake Moan....Weird but i enjoyed this nonsense.Samual L Jackson finds Christina Ricci on the side of the road beaten up and left for dead..Takes her home to save her life and cure her sickness(She likes getting humped:)).3/5 for film with a couple of extras for Ricci topless.Plus chained up and running about with her panties on throughout the film.:dribble:

Once...Modern day musical set in Dublin about a street musician and a Czech immigrant.Love story well done and a great little film.4/5 if i enjoyed the music(group called the Frames.David Gray soundlikes:eek:) i would have gave it a 5.

NO Country for Old Men.

Just back from the flicks and I don't quite know where to start. I love the Coen Bros' films and this is no exception and it feels as if they're back to the clever stuff. It's beautifully shot and reminds me of Fargo, but dry Texas heat and not a flake of snow in sight. It's scary - the film doesn't hide the violence except in an unexpected scene towards the end and there's as much blood and gore as any filmgoer could be expected to take. The characters are strong and absorbing; the main character we follow is truly evil - he scares the life out of me .. and others..

The Coen humour comes in to the frame occasionally but nothing like Fargo or the Big Lebowski, here it's much much darker and there's no clowning.

Whether it's to your taste or not, I reckon this is a film which will be watched and re-watched for years to come

NO Country for Old Men.

Just back from the flicks and I don't quite know where to start. I love the Coen Bros' films and this is no exception and it feels as if they're back to the clever stuff. It's beautifully shot and reminds me of Fargo, but dry Texas heat and not a flake of snow in sight. It's scary - the film doesn't hide the violence except in an unexpected scene towards the end and there's as much blood and gore as any filmgoer could be expected to take. The characters are strong and absorbing; the main character we follow is truly evil - he scares the life out of me .. and others..

The Coen humour comes in to the frame occasionally but nothing like Fargo or the Big Lebowski, here it's much much darker and there's no clowning.

Whether it's to your taste or not, I reckon this is a film which will be watched and re-watched for years to come

I can't wait to see it, very excited for the first time in ages about a film.

Archived