Edinburgh Night Clubs In The 70s/80's

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Don't think so.

It was more an eating place than for drinking.

Beginning to think we are making this up!

Sort of theme place with maybe Cajun/American/Mexican food.

Thanks for trying though.

This won't help you, but I've also wanted to know the name of this place. I went with my family when I was about 6 and remember it being an American style diner.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• luckyBatistuta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who can remember the name of a place in Hanover Street we think, in the section between Rose Street and George Street.

Dining place, black and white check decor, chicken wings, spare ribs, that kind of thing. Around about 1981-1985ish.

Wife remembers that we always went after work on a Thursday as it was buy one meal get one free. They handed out these leaflets in the streets to get this offer. We think it was a one word name but not positive.

May have been Frederick Street but leaning more to Hanover.

Thanks.

The only one that I can think that fits that description was MILLIONAIRES but I'm sure that was on the stretch between Queen st and George st.

This won't help you, but I've also wanted to know the name of this place. I went with my family when I was about 6 and remember it being an American style diner.

Keep thinking Keith!

Thanks

quick update of recent changes

work being done on Chesser Inn but no idea what its going to be ??????

Carters in Morrison street is / was shut for refurb

Rose Street Brewery bought by Mitchell and Butler currently closed for makeover 

quick update of recent changes

work being done on Chesser Inn but no idea what its going to be ??????

Carters in Morrison street is / was shut for refurb

Rose Street Brewery bought by Mitchell and Butler currently closed for makeover 

Carters was open again the last time I passed, late last week. Didn't get much of a look, but from what I saw they seemed to have quite a few hand-pumps along the bar, so maybe they're aiming more for the real-ale market now.

Goldstone Wonder

there and the Kennilworth were my fave haunts before Fire Island

Hello Sailor!*

* as they used to say in the 70s.

The white cockade was a pub I found myself chasing the girlies in around the early to mid seventies. often ended up in a dancehall that was on the right hand side of Rose Street heading towards the west end. It's on the tip of my tongue but I cant get Walkers out my head  ****. It had a big painting of the Dave Mackay and Billy Bremner  pic on the wall, or am I completely confused.

Fxxx the SPFL

The Spiders Web is now called The Jolly Botanist bar bistro. I know it's had a few other names in between. Used to drink in the web before away games. Apologies if this has been mentioned already.

The white cockade was a pub I found myself chasing the girlies in around the early to mid seventies. often ended up in a dancehall that was on the right hand side of Rose Street heading towards the west end. It's on the tip of my tongue but I cant get Walkers out my head ****. It had a big painting of the Dave Mackay and Billy Bremner pic on the wall, or am I completely confused.

There was a J in the name?

The white cockade was a pub I found myself chasing the girlies in around the early to mid seventies. often ended up in a dancehall that was on the right hand side of Rose Street heading towards the west end. It's on the tip of my tongue but I cant get Walkers out my head  ****. It had a big painting of the Dave Mackay and Billy Bremner  pic on the wall, or am I completely confused.

Flannigans ? Fagens ? one was in Rose Street the other Shandwick

Flannigans ? Fagens ? one was in Rose Street the other Shandwick

Flannigans it was. Well done, thank you. It was a bit different but I had a lot of fun there. 

scott herbertson

Flannigans it was. Well done, thank you. It was a bit different but I had a lot of fun there. 

Can remember the bouncers there were pretty hard. I remember having to pull a drunk (well ok drunker) mate away from trying to fight them as they had a reputation for 'over zealousness'

I,m sure Flannigans didnt have an alcohol license,but it sold cold milk.Or have Ifinally lost it?It was frequented by lots of Iranians 

Can remember the bouncers there were pretty hard. I remember having to pull a drunk (well ok drunker) mate away from trying to fight them as they had a reputation for 'over zealousness'

You are spot on with that. They were well known for going above and beyond what was required. It was a good thing if were known and got on with them.

I,m sure Flannigans didnt have an alcohol license,but it sold cold milk.Or have Ifinally lost it?It was frequented by lots of Iranians 

You have not lost it, but if you got on with the staff there was alcohol to be had. This thread is bringing back things that I had not thought of for so long. Fun and sad all at the same time :laugh4:

You have not lost it, but if you got on with the staff there was alcohol to be had. This thread is bringing back things that I had not thought of for so long. Fun and sad all at the same time :laugh4:

Keep the thread going!

scott herbertson

The Universities and Colleges gigs were good places to drink late, and often had 'discos' afterwards. Here is a gig list and poster from my brother's group. They both date from 1980 

post-381-0-15396200-1449822290_thumb.jpg

post-381-0-47376300-1449822306_thumb.jpg

Edited by scott herbertson

The Treasurer

Did anyone drink in Chic Murrays hotel?

How about the Penny Black?

Was Chic's hotel around Bruntsfield ?

I have vague memories of making use of the hotel Sunday licencing laws there

scott herbertson

I used to clean glasses at the Minto on a Sunday - it was like one of those medieval paintings of hades

Mad_meg.jpg

Yeah, that's where Chics was.

Got carried down the stairs and loaded into a pals van many times!

Great days.

we used to have a network of these places for a post Sunday league game peev

The Maitland , Pirries , Orwell , etc

Seymour M Hersh

Bobby McGhees (sic)

Seymour M Hersh

Did anyone drink in Chic Murrays hotel?

How about the Penny Black?

Near the Panny Black was the "famous" RAOB" club!!  Might have it round the wrong way but it was the Buffs club. The Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalos! 

Near the Panny Black was the "famous" RAOB" club!!  Might have it round the wrong way but it was the Buffs club. The Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffalos!

Went to the Buffs many times when I worked at that end of Princes Street.

Cheap bevvy and free food poisoning once!

Yeah, that's where Chics was.

Got carried down the stairs and loaded into a pals van many times!

Great days.

did it become the Barclay Hotel ???

Seymour M Hersh

Were you aware there was another one at the far end of Watson Crescent? Closed as well now I believe.

Were you aware there was another one at the far end of Watson Crescent? Closed as well now I believe.

No, didn't know that.

aye they used to be in the Club pool league

Chic Murrays became the Nova. I remember when the dinking laws meant that only Hotels were aloud to open all day on Sunday's and Bruntsfield became very popular. I worked (had a non stop party) and lived upstairs at the Park Hotel formally the Orang Grove next to the Links Hotel from 1983 to 1986. These rules were in place and because both the Links and the Park were next to each other and had patios the place, during the summer, became that mobbed that there would be a big overspill into the Bruntsfield Links across the road that would turn into an outdoor party.

One thing about Tollcross and Bruntsfield that I found a great deal of fun was if you knew where to go there was a lot of fun to be had with students and the Aussies on walk about that tended to congregate around that area at the time (I was between wife's at the time). :ruiner:  

J.T.F.Robertson

Chic Murray's Hotel was in Bruntsfield Crescent off Whitehouse Loan.

His daughter, Annabelle, was in my class at Preston Street.

Dubious claim to "fame". :(

His daughter, Annabelle, was in my class at Preston Street.

Dubious claim to "fame". :(

Knew his son and his wife well, (his wife was a wonderful woman with so many stories to tell) drank in the Park Hotel a lot. From what I can remember his sister was forever loosing it with him. He owned and ran Chic's (into the ground). Nice guy, but the alcohol got to him. On a side note, I woke up in the WMCA a couple of doors along from Chic's more than a few times with more than a hangover, I knew the family that ran the place.  

Edited by niblick1874

we used to have a network of these places for a post Sunday league game peev

The Maitland , Pirries , Orwell , etc

The Maitland,crowd of us went there. Upstairs?Was there anything on ,cant remember now

The Maitland,crowd of us went there. Upstairs?Was there anything on ,cant remember now

Remember the Carlsberg Export?

We used to call it jungle juice!

For some reason I always recall it was very strong. Probably wrong though.

The White Cockade

Ace of Hearts bus left from there in the 80's

You are right about Carlsberg Export, think it disappeared mid to late 70's. New a guy that would look for the girls drinking it for the obvious reasons, got into a fare few fights but cant remember him leaving with any girls. lol

I drank in the Maitland too.I remember me and the mates puting a quid in the jukie and selecting ?Brown girl in the ring? Boney M    

8 times lol         bar saff wernae happy.

Must have been the Jungle Juice!

Think thats why we went.We seem to have frequented the same venues round about the same time,

Cairneyhill Jambo

I had my stag do in the Buffs about 20 odd years ago.

Either used to drink in there or the Guildford on a Friday lunchtime when I worked in New Register House.

I had my stag do in the Buffs about 20 odd years ago.

Either used to drink in there or the Guildford on a Friday lunchtime when I worked in New Register House.

I worked in General Register House!

I drank in the Maitland too.I remember me and the mates puting a quid in the jukie and selecting ?Brown girl in the ring? Boney M    

8 times lol         bar saff wernae happy.

Must have been the Jungle Juice!

the owner was a moody prick

all over you one minute then barring you the next

big lad always wearing a kilt