Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

I'm currently a member at Liberton, but I'm considering switching to Glencorse. Yes I know that it is similar to Liberton as its quite short, but my wife and two boys play as well. Has anyone played there, is it any good. I've looked at the videos on their website and it looks quite a nice wee course. Does the weather have a big impact on the place, as I know it snows for fun up Penicuik way.

Never played it but done my work experience there.  This is true, the course was closed all week as it was covered in snow, my week involved being pulled around the course in a sledge by a tractor!  Went back to school and a group girls had been working in stables and were brown from being in the sun all week!  Other then doing that for hours I had to strip and paint tee boxes.

You can't beat a useless story that doesn't help you make a decision eh?!

How old are your boys?

Edited by Armageddon

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

luckyBatistuta

Never played it but done my work experience there.  This is true, the course was closed all week as it was covered in snow, my week involved being pulled around the course in a sledge by a tractor!  Went back to school and a group girls had been working in stables and were brown from being in the sun all week!  Other then doing that for hours I had to strip and paint tee boxes.

You can't beat a useless story that doesn't help you make a decision eh?!

How old are your boys?

They're only 8 and 9 and I know they're not old enough for a membership there, but would speak to the Pro before joining. They have a membership at Swanston at the moment and they are allowed on Liberton as they're all right (they've already hit pars there)

They're only 8 and 9 and I know they're not old enough for a membership there, but would speak to the Pro before joining. They have a membership at Swanston at the moment and they are allowed on Liberton as they're all right (they've already hit pars there)

So you know about ClubGolf and the Stephen Gallacher Foundation?  They have the flag competitions, 36 shots, then progress onto stroke play ... it all kicks off with a Pro-Am next weekend at Kingsfield in Linlithgow.

luckyBatistuta

So you know about ClubGolf and the Stephen Gallacher Foundation?  They have the flag competitions, 36 shots, then progress onto stroke play ... it all kicks off with a Pro-Am next weekend at Kingsfield in Linlithgow.

I know nothing about it bud, I haven't had my boys in any comps yet. They get lessons every week at the Braids driving range and play with myself sometimes.

luckyBatistuta

So you know about ClubGolf and the Stephen Gallacher Foundation? They have the flag competitions, 36 shots, then progress onto stroke play ... it all kicks off with a Pro-Am next weekend at Kingsfield in Linlithgow.

Just had a look at that and going to go to the Craigielaw one :thumbsup:

I know nothing about it bud, I haven't had my boys in any comps yet. They get lessons every week at the Braids driving range and play with myself sometimes.

Ok, the SG Foundation is totally worth being involved in.

http://www.sgfoundation.co.uk/

They start off in a flag competition, each kids get 36 shots and where your 36th shot lands you stick your flag in the ground, say your kid gets to the 7th hole then they get given a coloured wrist band, the challenge is to get to the next hole in the next comp and get a new wrist band, yes the furthest round wins but it's about each kid beating their own personal best.  Once they complete 9 holes in 36 shots then they qualify for the stroke play events.  The courses are pretty short and if they're on full size courses then they play from around the 150 markers.  There are kids from age 5 or 6 playing and it really is top class.  Stephen Gallacher comes along to support the kids, it's ?3 entry they get a short lesson on the day by a couple of the Pro's they've got involved, a ball, some food and the chance to qualify for the finals day (most kids do get to play in the finals day - which is an amazing event, the kids get given Adidas clothes for qualifying).

There's a Pro Am this coming weekend where the kids get taken out in a 4 ball Texas Scramble with a Pro who will look after them, then the flag/stroke play events start the following Sunday at North Berwick, then it's Swanston the following weekend then Gogarburn after that.

luckyBatistuta

Ok, the SG Foundation is totally worth being involved in.

http://www.sgfoundation.co.uk/

They start off in a flag competition, each kids get 36 shots and where your 36th shot lands you stick your flag in the ground, say your kid gets to the 7th hole then they get given a coloured wrist band, the challenge is to get to the next hole in the next comp and get a new wrist band, yes the furthest round wins but it's about each kid beating their own personal best. Once they complete 9 holes in 36 shots then they qualify for the stroke play events. The courses are pretty short and if they're on full size courses then they play from around the 150 markers. There are kids from age 5 or 6 playing and it really is top class. Stephen Gallacher comes along to support the kids, it's ?3 entry they get a short lesson on the day by a couple of the Pro's they've got involved, a ball, some food and the chance to qualify for the finals day (most kids do get to play in the finals day - which is an amazing event, the kids get given Adidas clothes for qualifying).

There's a Pro Am this coming weekend where the kids get taken out in a 4 ball Texas Scramble with a Pro who will look after them, then the flag/stroke play events start the following Sunday at North Berwick, then it's Swanston the following weekend then Gogarburn after that.

Really liking the sound of this, going to have a proper oook into it when I get home. I'm on my way up to Swanston with them just now for a wee practice. Do you take your kids along mate.

Really liking the sound of this, going to have a proper oook into it when I get home. I'm on my way up to Swanston with them just now for a wee practice. Do you take your kids along mate.

Aye, I really wasn't keen on competition golf, just wanted to it to be fun ... oh my, hooked is an understatement and the improvement has been unbelievable.   Loads of the parents are totally sound and we've made good friends through it, only 1 or 2 arseholes who cheat like ****, not counting shots and only care about winning rather than having fun on the course (two families are notorious).

The organisers do an amazing job and Stevie G is the nicest guy you could meet, same with his family.

You take them round in 3 balls, they can't take anymore than 4 putts, 10 on a hole is the maximum and I think you're only allowed 3 shots in a bunker, the 4th shot they've to throw it out, it's all to help them stay interested.

Samuel Camazzola

I'm currently a member at Liberton, but I'm considering switching to Glencorse. Yes I know that it is similar to Liberton as its quite short, but my wife and two boys play as well. Has anyone played there, is it any good. I've looked at the videos on their website and it looks quite a nice wee course. Does the weather have a big impact on the place, as I know it snows for fun up Penicuik way.

I was a member of Liberton for several years and returned to play it last year for the first time in a while. The condition of the course and greens had improved big time which was down to the work carried out by the new green staff.

The junior section and coaching at Liberton was always very impressive and the pro, Ian, is good at promoting the junior game.

Regarding Glencorse, played it in several team matches and thought it was a good course. Not a long course but has several lengthy par 3's that were close to 200 yards. If Liberton is on your doorstep, I'd stay there. If both are equal distance, I'd stick with Liberton again.

hmfc_liam06

Played the Dukes today...2nd tee and bang, my back goes! Struggled all the way around, could barely bend and ended up hooking a lot of shots. So glad I hadn't travelled all the war to Barassie and that happen!

Course was superb though, some epic bunkering but christ it's long! I certainly don't fancy playing of the black tees at 7,500 yards!

hmfc_liam06

I've had that happen. All manner of hooks.

Playing with other people too, you get no sympathy, and they think you're trying it on blaming your back.

It's not fun.

I suffer regularly from back trouble (sciatica) but I've never had this kinda thing happen. Couldn't bend the knees at all so there was a whole host of god awful shots. Putting was the worst, I can't even reach my knees with my hands never mind my toes :lol:

To be fair to my mates they could see I was in visible pain so they didn't say much, what they were thinking though only they know haha!

hmfc_liam06

I was lucky in a way when it happened to me. I'd done my back & shoulder about 3 weeks previously, and my mates wanted to play a new course.

As we hadn't seen each other for a bit, and my back felt ok-ish through rest, I gave it a go.

4 holes I lasted. Lucky we had a buggy, because the course was long & hilly & I wouldn't have managed walking it.

Was taking 3 quarter swings, and aiming 40 yards right of the target on some tee shots by the end.

They still went left. :(

Sounds grim! I adjusted pretty wel by the 12th and managed to string some kind of golf together.

I think I've maybe damaged it somehow on the flight home from Tenerife yesterday, maybe sitting dodgy or something like that and the swing has just popped it.

The joys!

hmfc_liam06

Was aiming to just break 100 by the end of it.

Best 98 I've ever shot! :verysmug:

Nice!

I picked up, correction, I had a mate pick it up for me on 5-8 so I've no score today. Which I'm very grateful for :lol:

hmfc_liam06

Still beat their scores too.

Thank God they're shite. :lol:

Haha quality. In fairness, I actually contributed more to the wee 2 on 2 we were having than my playing partner did. Winning 2 holes to his 0!

hmfc_liam06

Something to remind him of next time as the banter comes out.

"Aye, but I was crippled." :lol:

Well he's usually quick to remind me of his 'illness' he had when I pasted him 6&5 at Scotscraig last year!

Booked a couple more opens for the coming season, Forres, which I haven't played since I was a junior, but have heard it's been in superb condition, and the following day at Moray, a course I struggle at :lol:

luckyBatistuta

I was a member of Liberton for several years and returned to play it last year for the first time in a while. The condition of the course and greens had improved big time which was down to the work carried out by the new green staff.

The junior section and coaching at Liberton was always very impressive and the pro, Ian, is good at promoting the junior game.

Regarding Glencorse, played it in several team matches and thought it was a good course. Not a long course but has several lengthy par 3's that were close to 200 yards. If Liberton is on your doorstep, I'd stay there. If both are equal distance, I'd stick with Liberton again.

I will agree with you on the condition of the course mate, they really do a fantastic job with the upkeep of it. I also agree with you about Ian too, as he's been very approachable and helpful with my boys. I definitely don't agree about the rest of the club being positive towards them though. I've had a couple of aggressive confrontations out on the course (no aggression from myself) and also stares and whispers in the clubhouse. On one of the occasions, I was on the tee with my wife and boys and I could see a lady sitting at a table with another lady. She left her table like a greyhound out a trap and came running out of the clubhouse and started screaming aggressively towards us about whether we were members or not. It is mainly the elder members who seem to be the problem, but maybe that's just because there is that many of them :lol: My friends who are also members and the ones who have visited from their clubs have all passed comment on how unfriendly the clubhouse has been. I've played so many other courses around the country and Edinburgh itself and always found their clubhouses to be very welcoming. I don't know how many junior members we have, but you hardly ever see any out on the course, I can only think of two lads that I ever see. One last point, my boys never hold anyone up and they don't muck about.

Samuel Camazzola

I will agree with you on the condition of the course mate, they really do a fantastic job with the upkeep of it. I also agree with you about Ian too, as he's been very approachable and helpful with my boys. I definitely don't agree about the rest of the club being positive towards them though. I've had a couple of aggressive confrontations out on the course (no aggression from myself) and also stares and whispers in the clubhouse. On one of the occasions, I was on the tee with my wife and boys and I could see a lady sitting at a table with another lady. She left her table like a greyhound out a trap and came running out of the clubhouse and started screaming aggressively towards us about whether we were members or not. It is mainly the elder members who seem to be the problem, but maybe that's just because there is that many of them :lol: My friends who are also members and the ones who have visited from their clubs have all passed comment on how unfriendly the clubhouse has been. I've played so many other courses around the country and Edinburgh itself and always found their clubhouses to be very welcoming. I don't know how many junior members we have, but you hardly ever see any out on the course, I can only think of two lads that I ever see. One last point, my boys never hold anyone up and they don't muck about.

I've been away for a few years but it sounds like the junior section has depleted. Are the junior fees reasonable as other clubs I know do it for around ?40 now? I've just joined the Fairmont as a second membership and they give a free Junior place with every adult membership.

The woman sounds like she should be reported. Some of the older group always seemed to have a sense of entitlement when I was there. I came across a few that got huffy because their 'usual tee times' were booked by others.

What area do you stay? I was lucky enough to be within walking distance of the course as a junior. When your kids are old enough to go to the course alone, having the club close by is a bonus.

luckyBatistuta

I've been away for a few years but it sounds like the junior section has depleted. Are the junior fees reasonable as other clubs I know do it for around ?40 now? I've just joined the Fairmont as a second membership and they give a free Junior place with every adult membership.

The woman sounds like she should be reported. Some of the older group always seemed to have a sense of entitlement when I was there. I came across a few that got huffy because their 'usual tee times' were booked by others.

What area do you stay? I was lucky enough to be within walking distance of the course as a junior. When your kids are old enough to go to the course alone, having the club close by is a bonus.

It's ?52 now, but they're not old enough to join, so they're members at Swanston. I just have to pay to get them on, but they only play a maximum of about 6 holes and only at quiet times. I'm not that close, but I joined it just because it was quite short and I was just starting to play for the first time. The only reason I'm still there is because of it being so short, so that my wife (just started playing) and boys don't get disheartened. I didn't report the woman, probably should have though. Some old folk forget that they were young too, but they should be encouraging young ones who are actively getting out in the fresh air and doing something, after all they're the future of the club.

luckyBatistuta

Aye, I really wasn't keen on competition golf, just wanted to it to be fun ... oh my, hooked is an understatement and the improvement has been unbelievable.   Loads of the parents are totally sound and we've made good friends through it, only 1 or 2 arseholes who cheat like ****, not counting shots and only care about winning rather than having fun on the course (two families are notorious).

The organisers do an amazing job and Stevie G is the nicest guy you could meet, same with his family.

You take them round in 3 balls, they can't take anymore than 4 putts, 10 on a hole is the maximum and I think you're only allowed 3 shots in a bunker, the 4th shot they've to throw it out, it's all to help them stay interested.

You going to the competition today bud?

Samuel Camazzola

Anybody entering/entered the bunkered fantasy golf?

Just entered one now.

I could have picked about three teams with the players I wanted.

You going to the competition today bud?

I'm not, we couldn't get there.  We're going on Sunday though to Kingsfield. 

Today's the day your kids get hooked and you love the set up, I bet you go home and sign up for the comps!!  Stevie G also made an appearance yesterday at their Swanston event and now the Titleist fitting centre is at Craigielaw I'd expect him to be there to see the kids (double EDIT:  I see he's at Gleneagles today).

Have a great time!

EDIT:  Are your kids in McIlroy and Garcia by any chance???

Edited by Armageddon

luckyBatistuta

I'm not, we couldn't get there.  We're going on Sunday though to Kingsfield. 

Today's the day your kids get hooked and you love the set up, I bet you go home and sign up for the comps!!  Stevie G also made an appearance yesterday at their Swanston event and now the Titleist fitting centre is at Craigielaw I'd expect him to be there to see the kids (double EDIT:  I see he's at Gleneagles today).

Have a great time!

EDIT:  Are your kids in McIlroy and Garcia by any chance???

Ok, where do I start. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more...the kids playing, or me watching them play. As you said bud, we're hooked already. I'm gutted that we can't go this weekend though, as my boys are away on a trip with their football team. They both really enjoyed themselves and a great bit of experience for them, as they've never been in anything competitive with golf. I told them to just go out and enjoy it and don't worry about winning or losing and they seemed to have a great time and made a couple of friends already. The parents seemed to be a right good bunch too. Thanks again for telling me about this mate and hopefully see you at the next one. Oh, almost forgot...they were in Stenson and Rose.

Ok, where do I start. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more...the kids playing, or me watching them play. As you said bud, we're hooked already. I'm gutted that we can't go this weekend though, as my boys are away on a trip with their football team. They both really enjoyed themselves and a great bit of experience for them, as they've never been in anything competitive with golf. I told them to just go out and enjoy it and don't worry about winning or losing and they seemed to have a great time and made a couple of friends already. The parents seemed to be a right good bunch too. Thanks again for telling me about this mate and hopefully see you at the next one. Oh, almost forgot...they were in Stenson and Rose.

Magic, glad you all had a ball, the flag and stroke competitions are top class and all well attended and I'm sure you'll see a huge difference once they get more experience and some coaching. Maybe catch you this season!

luckyBatistuta

Magic, glad you all had a ball, the flag and stroke competitions are top class and all well attended and I'm sure you'll see a huge difference once they get more experience and some coaching. Maybe catch you this season!

Thanks again pal, hopefully see you at North Berwick.

Looks like Rory's pushed Johnson down the stairs.

Johnson's injured his back falling down the staircase in his rental home, and is on anti-inflammatory medicine.

If he's only 75% fit, his chances are already done.

Shame that

More likely he was getting a touch over exuberant with paulina.

Think id risk winning the masters for a chance with her, to be fair to him.

Cyprus Jambo

Does anyone play the Bunkered Fantasy Golf? Could get a wee league running.

Look a few posts up :). Did you get time ot take him out of your team?

hmfc_liam06

Look a few posts up :). Did you get time ot take him out of your team?

Don't know how I missed that, is there a KB league on the go?

Yeah I just transferred him out for Thomas.

My squad is:

McIllroy

Thomas

Spieth

Fowler

Reed

Hatton

Berger

Rahm

Hadwin

Howell III

Glover 

Laird

Cyprus Jambo

Minileague created - JKB:

TKOoU

My team:

Jordan Spieth N/A

Henrik Stenson N/A

Sergio Garcia N/A

Bubba Watson N/A

Rickie Fowler N/A

Paul Casey N/A

Lee Westwood N/A

Zach Johnson N/A

Ross Fisher N/A

Charley Hoffman N/A

Martin Laird N/A

Steve Stricker

Quickly changed Dustin for Speith (even if not a fan)

hmfc_liam06

Minileague created - JKB: TKOoU My team: Jordan Spieth N/A Henrik Stenson N/A Sergio Garcia N/A Bubba Watson N/A Rickie Fowler N/A Paul Casey N/A Lee Westwood N/A Zach Johnson N/A Ross Fisher N/A Charley Hoffman N/A Martin Laird N/A Steve Stricker Quickly changed Dustin for Speith (even if not a fan)

The best mini league wins a trip for four to Portugal as well, be good if a couple other guys joined the league.

Anyone had issues with online golf, with the Nike balls? I ordered mine on Saturday and they still haven't arrived. Emailed them and never got a reply, *****.

Anyone had issues with online golf, with the Nike balls? I ordered mine on Saturday and they still haven't arrived. Emailed them and never got a reply, *****.

You lost a dozen balls already??!! ;)

Nope, I ordered mine on the Thursday I think and they arrived on the Saturday lunchtime, they were delivered by Hermes who have always been far from ideal.

hmfc_liam06

Never had any issues with them.

I'm sure they're run by American Golf, they always seem to have the same offers and same stock availability.

Online Golf are reputable. As said above, they're a sister company to American Golf.

You'll be fine man. Even if it's gotten lost you'll be refunded.

78 today. Happy with that. Was quite windy on the course today.

hmfc_liam06

First comp of the year for me this Sunday, hoping the back holds up. It's been gradually getting better all week - 9 holes tonight will determine my involvement.

Bad backs must be what all us top golfers have to deal with, Tiger, DJ, Liam...the names just roll off the tongue :lol:

Online Golf are reputable. As said above, they're a sister company to American Golf.

You'll be fine man. Even if it's gotten lost you'll be refunded.

78 today. Happy with that. Was quite windy on the course today.

Yea, they got back to me today, and said it is with my local courier, could do with them as it's my first open of the year tomorrow and there's bushes everywhere :lol:

Happy new season to everyone. Hope all the shiny new kit is working out.

I've not hit a ball since the last competition of last season. Lol. Can't wait to get back under way but I'm not looking forward to the certain fitness issues of walking around the course after such a long lay-off. I think I'll sleep that night. Desperately need to get off my arse and hit some balls. Just 100 wedges will do for starters to get some kind of swing going. After work on Monday maybe. Tuesday even. Wednesday will do. Maybe soneone could go and do it for me?

William H. Bonney

Have to say I'm jealous of you guys playing so much golf. I had a good season 3 years ago and got myself cut to 12. Only played a handful of times since due to looking after my son most weekends.

Really miss competitive golf.

chester copperpot

I am going to try get back into Golf this year.

Haven't lifted a club since my dad passed.

Used to be pretty good in my late teens, played off 5 at one point despite not playing all that consistently

Edited by chester copperpot

First open/comp of the year, 82-4 missed buffer by a few shots. Think css will be 75/76. Putting and short game were ropey :lol: room for improvement!!!

Played from the very back tee on 13 at Eyemouth this morning. Turns the hole from one of the worst on the course to one of the best. 652 yards long, and the views not bad tooa387f223857a460b8bba035b9b725c05.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Played from the very back tee on 13 at Eyemouth this morning. Turns the hole from one of the worst on the course to one of the best. 652 yards long, and the views not bad tooa387f223857a460b8bba035b9b725c05.jpg

Played in an open there early last year and loved it. Superb course!

hmfc_liam06

First medal of the year today...

My tee shots were absolutely abysmal, no matter what club I went with I just couldn't get anything going. Put myself in some terrible situations, had 3 chip outs from behind a tree combined with 4 unplayable lies.

The rest of my game was pretty decent, can't recall any bad shots other than a fluffed wedge.

One of those rounds where I felt there was a score there but one shot type let me down badly.

Roll on next week :lol:

hmfc_liam06

Another one on my must play list.

Out in 41 - Back in 36.. 7 3 putts and just couldn't get the ball in the hole from the side of the green... I really need to take a couple of weeks and work on my chipping and putting.. 

Tee to green - Was pretty good.. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread