• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just been for a lesson and it proved to be a great fact finding mission. Turns out my set up is generally spot on but I'm swinging too much with the hands causing me to chop down on the ball as I'm leaning in onto my toes. I'm also not shifting my weight through the swing, very flat footed.

It's now so obvious I've no idea why I've not spotted it before. Hopefully now I can use that to push on.

It sounds like you've been having the same problem as I had in the last couple of rounds. The trouble is that despite knowing what I was doing wrong, I still couldn't stop myself from doing it. 

Couple of practice swings > Perfect. Go to hit the ball and the spazzy swing comes back and a divot about 2 inches before the ball. :vrface:

hmfc_liam06

It sounds like you've been having the same problem as I had in the last couple of rounds. The trouble is that despite knowing what I was doing wrong, I still couldn't stop myself from doing it. 

Couple of practice swings > Perfect. Go to hit the ball and the spazzy swing comes back and a divot about 2 inches before the ball. :vrface:

I know exactly what you mean. On Sunday I went out the back garden and placed some tees on the ground and run a drill, one tee at the heel, one at the toe and one where the ball would be and aim to never hit the toe tee.

Swing after swing felt great, think I maybe hit the shank once or twice within a 20 minute period.

Fast forward to last night and the pro says to me to hit a few balls to warm up...shank, shank, shank, shank. As soon as that ball is placed I seem to get so tense, which is because I instantly start thinking I'm going to shank it. The swing becomes so rigid and I'm over eager and lean in on the down swing.

The plus from last night was that he finally got me pinging some drives, I've never been able to hit them before so it felt pretty good - a little bit too fadey but he said that's due to me still leaning in a little too much.

Despite the horror show last night I'm feeling a little better about my game.

Biggest mistake of ur life.

When the sun is shining and the greens are freshly cut. No better place to spend the day.

I did consider that.  I haven't given up golf, just being a member of a club.  I can go pay-and-play whenever the mood takes me.  What I don't have now is the feeling that I have to play every week to justify the annual green fee.

Yeah unless you are able to get 50 rounds or so in a year, a membership is hard to justify. It's tough when you work full-time and we get rain drenched summer like last year.

I know exactly what you mean. On Sunday I went out the back garden and placed some tees on the ground and run a drill, one tee at the heel, one at the toe and one where the ball would be and aim to never hit the toe tee.

Swing after swing felt great, think I maybe hit the shank once or twice within a 20 minute period.

Fast forward to last night and the pro says to me to hit a few balls to warm up...shank, shank, shank, shank. As soon as that ball is placed I seem to get so tense, which is because I instantly start thinking I'm going to shank it. The swing becomes so rigid and I'm over eager and lean in on the down swing.

The plus from last night was that he finally got me pinging some drives, I've never been able to hit them before so it felt pretty good - a little bit too fadey but he said that's due to me still leaning in a little too much.

Despite the horror show last night I'm feeling a little better about my game.

Hey Liam.

Sounds like if ur drives are better but still too fadey/slice.

Ur slicing ur irons from an over the top swing, ur divots will give u info.

An incomplete back swing is one of the reasons for this.

Too anxious and just hoping u don't shank.

Do a complete smooth back swing and start ur down swing with ur hips not ur arms.

Yeah unless you are able to get 50 rounds or so in a year, a membership is hard to justify. It's tough when you work full-time and we get rain drenched summer like last year.

I'm a member at Gullane and it's about ?850 a year now.. But I get all year round golf. Can take 3 mates on number 1 for about ?40, as there are 3 courses you can pretty much rock up and get a game. The networking side of it is also a bonus. It is a bit of money but I don't think I'd get that value elsewhere and there is still a 5 year+ waiting list to get in there.

My better half thinks I'm nuts paying that money.

Exactly my thinking.

I'm a member at Gullane and it's about ?850 a year now.. But I get all year round golf. Can take 3 mates on number 1 for about ?40, as there are 3 courses you can pretty much rock up and get a game. The networking side of it is also a bonus. It is a bit of money but I don't think I'd get that value elsewhere and there is still a 5 year+ waiting list to get in there.

My better half thinks I'm nuts paying that money.

Unfortunately Pumpherston does not share Gullane's climate or drainage.  It's an absolute bog in the winter, if it's open.  The course was unplayable virtually throughout this very wet winter (like many other inland parkland courses, I'd imagine).  Realistically have to view the green fee as paying for 7 or 8 months of golf, and then hope for a decent summer.

hmfc_liam06

Do you really though? Its ?500 to join Aberdour (where I'm a member) which is just over ?40 a month, it's ?45 for a single round. Play once or twice a month and you're more than quids in.

Yeah I'm using Edinburgh private course membership fees (usually upwards of ?800) in comparison to the cost of a round at a council course as a benchmark (?20-24). 

I only pay ?25 a month membership for the council courses.

Spare a though for us golfers in Western Australia. These prices were correct in 2014. Probably a lot more now.

Royal Perth Nomination Fee $5400 + Annual subs of $2220. 

WA Golf Club Nomination Fee $4500 + Annual subs of $1728.

Joondalup Nomination Fee $8800 + Annual subs of $2770. 

Lake Karrinyup Nomination Fee $7000 + Annual subs of $3500. 

Royal Fremantle Nomination Fee $3938 + Annual subs of $2625.

Vines Nomination Fee $6000 + Annual subs of $2545. 

Lakelands Nomination Fee $0 + Annual subs of $2150.

92 at Braids yesterday, a 10 shot increase on the last time I played there before the winter.   :sob:

Despite trying various fixes and drills I'm still struggling to consistently strike clean iron shots instead of catching them fat/thin. Had two absolute horror shots where I overdid my attempts to transfer my weight to my left side on the down swing and ended up skulling the ball about 1 metre.  I also had an Ernie Els-esque 4-putt from about 6 feet when I was putting for birdie.

:vrface:

On the plus side, my bad shots were so bad that they weren't going far enough to get launched out of play, so no lost balls, which is unusual for me at Braids. :lol:

Edited by Ray Gin

jack D and coke

Had a 91 at Kings Acre yesterday. Tee to green not too bad at all but my putting was just abysmal. Lost count of the 3 stabs :facepalm:

Having an absolute mare with par 3's just now as well. Hitting my irons sweetly but just not aiming properly or clubbing correctly. Either big/short or left of the hole and like I say add the putting to that mix and it's making it a struggle at the moment.

hmfc_liam06

Played 2 rounds over the weekend, first since my lesson.

While I'm still not 100% with my irons (especially off the tee at par 3's where I just seem to crumble and shank still), the driver has improved a lot, getting around 220 yards with a slide fade most times which is better than constantly topping it. The biggest improvement has been the hybrid, where I've actually hit around the 200/210 yard mark a few times, probably averaging 180 with it though.

I did notice that the iron play drastically improved from around the 7th hole, I started the round cold so I'm going to make more of an effort to get a good 20 minutes warm up done before future rounds.

hmfc_liam06

You'll get there mate.

Hybrid will bring you a lot of confidence, as you'll always have that to fall back on if the driving is going to bits.

Helped me back a while ago, when I didn't have a driver and my 3 wood was a bit dodgy. 

It's the go to club right now, even par 3's around 160 yards I'd rather take on a softer hybrid than going 6 or 7 iron.

Noticed I'm now topping a lot of irons but I'm guessing that's down to the pro getting me to get my hands out a bit more and increase my distance away from the ball.

It's no easy :lol:

Disser Pointon

It's the go to club right now, even par 3's around 160 yards I'd rather take on a softer hybrid than going 6 or 7 iron.

Noticed I'm now topping a lot of irons but I'm guessing that's down to the pro getting me to get my hands out a bit more and increase my distance away from the ball.

It's no easy :lol:

Just ask Jordan Speith! :tiny:

The totally random moment when you advertise a set of irons for sale ... and a guy called Perry get's in touch, didn't think anything of it until the guy phones me and he has an American accent, I ask him as a laugh if his name was Perry Kitchen, turns out it is and he's collecting on Wednesday! :)

The totally random moment when you advertise a set of irons for sale ... and a guy called Perry get's in touch, didn't think anything of it until the guy phones me and he has an American accent, I ask him as a laugh if his name was Perry Kitchen, turns out it is and he's going collecting on Wednesday! :)

:lol:

The totally random moment when you advertise a set of irons for sale ... and a guy called Perry get's in touch, didn't think anything of it until the guy phones me and he has an American accent, I ask him as a laugh if his name was Perry Kitchen, turns out it is and he's collecting on Wednesday! :)

:rofl: amazing

hmfc_liam06

You better not be selling those AP2's Armageddon, I was going to make you an offer when you upgraded!! :lol:

No Hearts game and an Old Firm game to avoid...perfect excuse for some golf this weekend. Who's all out?

I'm playing Crail tomorrow and Lundin Links on Sunday.

You better not be selling those AP2's Armageddon, I was going to make you an offer when you upgraded!! :lol:

No Hearts game and an Old Firm game to avoid...perfect excuse for some golf this weekend. Who's all out?

Got a game in a texas scramble at Trump Aberdeen tomorrow. Going to be cold and windy so I hope its worth the 4 hour drive up and 4 hour drive down.

I've told the Mrs i'll be keeping those for years ... little does she know :)  This is some Callaways I have ... quite looking forward to Wednesday!

Played Royal Lytham and St Annes during the week...?180 per round and 80% of the bunkers GUR as full of water due to recent weather !!!!

BurnieHearts

Last weekend I played Pumpherston on Saturday morning and it was drenched. Didn't enjoy it at all but does have some nice holes in particular the 16th. On Sunday I played my first ever stableford competition at Craigielaw and what a difference to Pumphy. Also my first ever links course. Totally fell in love with this wonderful game. 

hmfc_liam06

Played Crail today, nice wee 86 (-5 net).

Stunning course, absolutely loved it. Greens were immaculate and course was bone dry. Superb.

Oh and no shanks!

Played today. Was crap. Can't hit two shots in a row. Can't chip. Just didn't enjoy it.

Bring on next week..

Still not played since August last year. :sob:

Was hoping to get out this weekend but not feeling well.

Edited by Irufushi

Pumpherston is soaking just now. Medal cancelled today. Come back in the summer and you will enjoy it.

Last weekend I played Pumpherston on Saturday morning and it was drenched. Didn't enjoy it at all but does have some nice holes in particular the 16th. On Sunday I played my first ever stableford competition at Craigielaw and what a difference to Pumphy. Also my first ever links course. Totally fell in love with this wonderful game.

hmfc_liam06

Pumpherston is soaking just now. Medal cancelled today. Come back in the summer and you will enjoy it.

Played it last September and enjoyed it.

BurnieHearts

I've got a few mates that are members there so will defo be back over the year. 

The Mighty Thor

Medal yesterday. Missed a short one on the first then shat it from every putt thereafter. Fast and bumpy greens and a bit of wind and it felt like my putter shaft was made from a slinky

hmfc_liam06

Tale of two 9's for me today at a very windy Lundin Links.

Went out with 18 points stableford and 12 putts, most holes against the wind.

Come back in with 12 points and 20 putts, most holes with the wind! Lipped out 3 times so 3 points gone just like that. Didn't seem to get the breaks I was getting on the front 9.

Winner had 35 points. Very much Hibsed it.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

jack D and coke

For weeks my driving has been the best part of my game but yesterday I was tugging everything and putting myself in all sorts of shit! Decent front 9 and gash back 9 to card an 84. Putting was good for once. Strange game.

Haddington Open this Saturday if anyone is interested.

Reckon there will be any early free tee times? Need to be off the course by half 12 to head along to the football

Reckon there will be any early free tee times? Need to be off the course by half 12 to head along to the football

Cancel that, booked in at half 8.

Cyprus Jambo

il be there chief,11am time im at

how are the greens at the moment?

Found them fast lately.............1st has a bit of damage, 10 is new and the 17th will be sandy. Course playing really well.

I'm off at 9.30.

hmfc_liam06

Anyone on here a member of Longniddry?

Need to get to know some more members. :lol:

Nope but if you're ever looking to sign someone on...:lol:

Haddington..StSow, do you know if tee times are freely available in the morning, thinking about coming over for this.

Haddington..StSow, do you know if tee times are freely available in the morning, thinking about coming over for this.

I got the feeling I had a bit of a choice when I asked. I asked for half 8 and got it so I don't think there will be any hassle getting a game.

Quite looking forward to it. Never played it before

No probs at all mate. Just DM me your number we'll sort out a time.

Cyprus Jambo

Nope but if you're ever looking to sign someone on... :lol:

I know when I booked on Monday the tee time before mine was free - I'm 0939 so 0930 was free.

Hit the range today for the first swing of a club in 8 months. Pleasantly surprised.

Hit it solid apart from the long irons. Bit erratic.

Cyprus Jambo

How did you guys get on yesteday at Haddington...........best I've played off the Medal Tees for a while. 81 for net 69, think it was sitting 2nd when I left (74-7-67 was in - guy from Archerfield).

Cyprus Jambo

How did you guys get on yesteday at Haddington...........best I've played off the Medal Tees for a while. 81 for net 69, think it was sitting 2nd when I left (74-7-67 was in - guy from Archerfield).

Update, I did finish 2nd net and 16th Gross, just need to find out if it was a Scratch or Net competition. Gross 73 won it.

80-3 for me I think

Played better than that score but had 3 double bogeys, mostly because of putting drives in bunkers.

The greens where a lovely pace to putt on and I holed a couple of rakers

Really enjoyed it though, a nice course and I'll be back for the summer open.

Cheers for the heads up

Oh, and well done on your score, I'm sure the winning score was out early just after me? There was certainly someone very happy with there score when I was having a pint

Edited by StSow

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Official Golf geeks gibber thread