Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I think I said before but I was in Aberdeen a fair bit last summer and often walked along the beach that the course runs along (can’t see it from the beach) amazing beach too btw, stunning and I never seen anyone on it. anyway I took a drive down to the course one day and I couldn’t believe how tight it was . Had a fantastic wee short game area as you come into the clubhouse from a wee single track road.

No going back, it's booked now. I'll remember buy a box of balls before I play :lol:

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

You'll not reach the fairway with a hybrid, especially if there's a wind 😀

You'll absolutely love it, great course.

I managed 21 opens last year, great way to play courses.

Short in the rough might be better than right in the gorse :lol:

Samuel Camazzola
17 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Finally got a round played today!!

:yas:

Castle Course for moi this weekend. Looking forward to it and weather looks fair. 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Castle Course for moi this weekend. Looking forward to it and weather looks fair. 

A good deal there but I cant be arsed with mats.

We played Drumoig, couldn't believe how dry it was.

Samuel Camazzola
45 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

A good deal there but I cant be arsed with mats.

We played Drumoig, couldn't believe how dry it was.

Just drive into the rough each time and there's no need for mats. 😄

hmfc_liam06

Just drive into the rough each time and there's no need for mats. 😄

Without getting into the whole mats debate, it's odd that the Castle course has them on in March only. Especially as it's closed all winter anyway so it's not like it's been getting hacked up all winter.

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Without getting into the whole mats debate, it's odd that the Castle course has them on in March only. Especially as it's closed all winter anyway so it's not like it's been getting hacked up all winter.

The Links Trust seems to opt for the use of mats throughout the winter so I can only assume that the Castle adopts them for March to align with the blanket approach. 

TBH, I don't think these courses need them but I've not seen the standard of tourist golfer they attract. I imagine there are a few hackers with all the gear but no idea. 

hmfc_liam06

The Links Trust seems to opt for the use of mats throughout the winter so I can only assume that the Castle adopts them for March to align with the blanket approach. 

TBH, I don't think these courses need them but I've not seen the standard of tourist golfer they attract. I imagine there are a few hackers with all the gear but no idea. 

That's just it though, it's only the Old and Castle that use mats in March. The other courses stop using them 1st March.

I totally get the Old given that's open all winter. Just don't see what real benefit it is using mats on the Castle for one month.

Samuel Camazzola

Played the Castle Course over the weekend and it's still easily one of the best tracks around. Cracking layout and variety of holes. 

The greens were rapid despite the time of year and it was playing exceptionally tough with the high winds. 

Managed to drive the par 4 9th only to three putt for a par! 😄 

£69 for their March special package including breakfast, golf and lunch is highly recommended if there are any spaces available. 

Disser Pointon

Putting still killing me, rest of the game pretty sharp as well. Just a total mind block now, I can putt done till I hit the course.

hmfc_liam06

Managed a round at Charleton on Saturday - can't fault the course at all, for the lack of funds they have the place was bone dry and greens fairly firm.

My game looks in reasonable shape as well, the odd duff shot but on the whole pretty consistent. Which is a big plus considering the lack of golf over the last 3 months.

John mcCartney

Liam,115 squids for us lot at Dumbarnie.Il go there when its nice and quiet and soak it up.Its a great location,a sunset round there with an actual fecking sunset would be rather tasty imo........looks superb,dont mind if a modern or original links me.

hmfc_liam06
54 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Liam,115 squids for us lot at Dumbarnie.Il go there when its nice and quiet and soak it up.Its a great location,a sunset round there with an actual fecking sunset would be rather tasty imo........looks superb,dont mind if a modern or original links me.

£94 for Fifers 😎

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Your bang on, a sunset heaven of a course.

I'm in.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I should add, Dumbarnie is looking absolutely incredible!

Have you watched Bunkered's YouTube video of their preview round? It looks tremendous. 

Regarding Charleton, are there still rumours of investment coming in from Sweden to build a clubhouse and for some tweaks to the course to be made? 

hmfc_liam06
9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Have you watched Bunkered's YouTube video of their preview round? It looks tremendous. 

Regarding Charleton, are there still rumours of investment coming in from Sweden to build a clubhouse and for some tweaks to the course to be made? 

Yeah I seen that one. Can't wait to play it, hoping to get there in June.

I don't know if the investment has happened yet or not. The old clubhouse is still there (definitely needs knocking down and built again) at the moment. It's a course that has loads of potential, not just for golf either, so much land surrounding it, it would make a great wee resort.

John mcCartney
11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

£94 for Fifers 😎

Even better chief,enjoy it when the time comes.

joondalupjambo

Dumbarnie is heavily reliant on over seas bookings in order to get in the big fees.  It is not unreasonable to think because of Covid-19 that many, many will not come until later in the season, if at all.  Question that raises will they open as planned on 16th May?  

Strong rumours locally and from a management contact in there that bookings are lower than expected from the golf travel companies with several cancellations.  Might be another price offered for a Scottish four ball, less than 115 a head.  Worth watching this closely as there could be some good offers.

Edited by joondalupjambo

Samuel Camazzola
11 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yeah I seen that one. Can't wait to play it, hoping to get there in June.

I don't know if the investment has happened yet or not. The old clubhouse is still there (definitely needs knocking down and built again) at the moment. It's a course that has loads of potential, not just for golf either, so much land surrounding it, it would make a great wee resort.

I've only played Charleton over the last four years but I'm led to believe there was a 9 hole /par 3 course and range adjacent to the main course at one point. 

You can cracking deals there and as  you say, there could be much more done with the place. 

Am I right in saying, the course was opened by George Bush (or did I imagine that)…? 😄 

John mcCartney
1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Dumbarnie is heavily reliant on over seas bookings in order to get in the big fees.  It is not unreasonable to think because of Covid-19 that many, many will not come until later in the season, if at all.  Question that raises will they open as planned on 16th May?  

Strong rumours locally and from a management contact in there that bookings are lower than expected from the golf travel companies with several cancellations.  Might be another price offered for a Scottish four ball, less than 115 a head.  Worth watching this closely as there could be some good offers.

haha,no doubt about this....Im hoping for a few sunrise and sunset jobs there.
Matey has a golf tours business based at St Andrews and he is suffering right now unfortunately.

Edited by John mcCartney

hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

You're right re the bookings, if you go online to book there are barely any times taken.

hmfc_liam06
12 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I've only played Charleton over the last four years but I'm led to believe there was a 9 hole /par 3 course and range adjacent to the main course at one point. 

You can cracking deals there and as  you say, there could be much more done with the place. 

Am I right in saying, the course was opened by George Bush (or did I imagine that)…? 😄 

There is a range, if you can call it that...

Not sure re the George Bush thing haha. You definitely can get some good deals there, the food is also really good, despite the place looking a bit shit :lol:

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

There is a range, if you can call it that...

Not sure re the George Bush thing haha. You definitely can get some good deals there, the food is also really good, despite the place looking a bit shit :lol:

https://www.charleton.co.uk/golfcourse

I'm not going daft, their webpage has the Dode Bush claim published! 😄 

All my clubs competitions cancelled, fees due end of the month.... still charging full amount. Not sure I’ll even bother.

Disser Pointon
19 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

haha,no doubt about this....Im hoping for a few sunrise and sunset jobs there.
Matey has a golf tours business based at St Andrews and he is suffering right now unfortunately.

Who's your mate, I've got one as well in St Andrews who does that?

John mcCartney
1 hour ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Who's your mate, I've got one as well in St Andrews who does that?

Tony Tan from Singapore.....we both at LGS(Leven Golfing Society)
Both of us travel over from the Shore/Newhaven...
As you say,db looks special.....

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Irufushi said:

All my clubs competitions cancelled, fees due end of the month.... still charging full amount. Not sure I’ll even bother.

I just paid mine a couple weeks ago but our competitions haven't been cancelled yet. I don't think we will unless directed so from Scottish Golf or the Government.

I could see a load of clubs go to the wall unfortunately. 

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

@hmfc_liam06 Is it Lochgelly you're still at? If so, have you played in the Par 3 Open before? I noticed this year's one is diarised for a week on Sunday. 

Tried sending you a PM but says you cant receive any.

joondalupjambo
10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You're right re the bookings, if you go online to book there are barely any times taken.

Ah not sure how that works.  Did you create a user account first and then login to check / view the bookings?  If you do not and just scan the dates from the Fife residents booking page you see loads of availability. I was thinking about this before because dates that seem to be available are in fact not when you enquire.

14 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I just paid mine a couple weeks ago but our competitions haven't been cancelled yet. I don't think we will unless directed so from Scottish Golf or the Government.

I could see a load of clubs go to the wall unfortunately. 

loads will, aye. 

joondalupjambo

Lundin Golf Club was heaving today, must be all this home working!!!  Usually only the early morning old boys out on a Wednesday.

So much for social distancing.  Anyway flag sticks getting continually touched then risk of others touching them and then touching their face.  Is that not a recipe for disaster?  Should it just be gimmes under a putter length to reduce the risk?  No rakes in bunkers though and ball washers taped up.  Ball scoops still in use so same issue as flag sticks.  Obviously I never use a scoop, never in a burn😃

Samuel Camazzola
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'll see what's in there that could be clogging the mailbox up. 👍 

The Mighty Thor
35 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Lundin Golf Club was heaving today, must be all this home working!!!  Usually only the early morning old boys out on a Wednesday.

So much for social distancing.  Anyway flag sticks getting continually touched then risk of others touching them and then touching their face.  Is that not a recipe for disaster?  Should it just be gimmes under a putter length to reduce the risk?  No rakes in bunkers though and ball washers taped up.  Ball scoops still in use so same issue as flag sticks.  Obviously I never use a scoop, never in a burn😃

Dunbar just released comms with most of the points above covered. Rakes, ball washers, scoops, benches all removed. Gimmes on putts etc

At least it's still open. 

Samuel Camazzola
46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'll see what's in there that could be clogging the mailbox up. 👍 

Samuel Camazzola
17 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Trip to Gleneagles today 😎

👍 Kings, Queens or Centenary? Assume its the Solheim Cup promo? 

hmfc_liam06
4 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

👍 Kings, Queens or Centenary? Assume its the Solheim Cup promo? 

Kings mate. Even better than the promo, member sign on!

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Kings mate. Even better than the promo, member sign on!

Perfect. Good day for it. Enjoy!

hmfc_liam06

Cheers lads. Just on the way home now, absolutely cracking day for it.

Broke my personal best score of +10 with a +9 (77). Delighted.

Not even on my mind right now.    My only thought is to cram in my 3 cards in the late part of the season.    Club's shut down now and I can't see the April to July competitions taking place.    By the time I play golf next it might be about 10 months of a break since my last game.

Edited by Victorian