• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pumped in the singles semi finals today. Just couldn't live with the boy, he was -1 scratch thru 10 (off 6).

Ended up 3&2. Tried to hang in there but was never going to win today.

Another holocaust on the front 9 (inc a good par at the hardest hole) and a pretty good back 9.      Every medal.     It wasn't always this way but there you go.    What a gorgeous day to play golf though.

45+38=83-7=76

Up a point.

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Pumped in the singles semi finals today. Just couldn't live with the boy, he was -1 scratch thru 10 (off 6).

Ooft. There are certain times when it's almost impossible to win a tie.    It's tough to take if you get through a few rounds then get tonked without doing much wrong.     You're a long time out of the current competition because it's over until next year.    Golfers need to be the most patient people.

Just now, Victorian said:

Ooft. There are certain times when it's almost impossible to win a tie.    It's tough to take if you get through a few rounds then get tonked without doing much wrong.     You're a long time out of the current competition because it's over until next year.    Golfers need to be the most patient people.

He finished +4 after 18 (we played on, it was a nice day after all) and that was with a 7 on the par 4 11th. +1 for the other 17, impossible task for me. I finished net level par for my 18 so it just shows what was required to beat him.

Been a good ride though, semi finals in my first ever match play competition is decent going.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

He finished +4 after 18 (we played on, it was a nice day after all) and that was with a 7 on the par 4 11th. +1 for the other 17, impossible task for me. I finished net level par for my 18 so it just shows what was required to beat him.

Been a good ride though, semi finals in my first ever match play competition is decent going.

Yeah that's good.    The disappointment of losing is worse when you get to the sharp end.    All the great work of the previous rounds... gone.     Good effort though.     

On 25/08/2019 at 15:36, hmfc_liam06 said:

Played a guy a few years ago,giving him 19 shots.

He was 39 to the turn (+3) , including 2-net 1 at both par 3's. Standing on the tee needing to hole in one for a half:rofl:

I was -1 scratch and got beat 6&5

Got the usual never played like this before.....................

There 's always one hanging about in the draw:unsure2:

Samuel Camazzola
13 hours ago, merrymac said:

Played a guy a few years ago,giving him 19 shots.

He was 39 to the turn (+3) , including 2-net 1 at both par 3's. Standing on the tee needing to hole in one for a half:rofl:

I was -1 scratch and got beat 6&5

Got the usual never played like this before.....................

There 's always one hanging about in the draw:unsure2:

Folk like that are a joke. What were you playing off to give him that many shots? For matchplay events, there should be a handicap limit applied. Do you recall how you did on the hole he was given two shots? 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Folk like that are a joke. What were you playing off to give him that many shots? For matchplay events, there should be a handicap limit applied. Do you recall how you did on the hole he was given two shots? 

I genuinely have had some of my best rounds in matchplay this year but nothing to the level above. Won a match against a 20 handicapper 4&3 and I was +7 thru the 15. Most have gone to the wire, even with me beating handicap.

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I genuinely have had some of my best rounds in matchplay this year but nothing to the level above. Won a match against a 20 handicapper 4&3 and I was +7 thru the 15. Most have gone to the wire, even with me beating handicap.

Yeah but this guy's at it. Getting a shot a hole (with the bonus of two on one hole) and scoring like that. A handicap is being protected there. 

Out of interest, if a player enters three competitions in a season and posts an NR for each one resulting in a 0.1 increase each time, do they retain their handicap as they've entered the comp and signed the card? 

14 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah but this guy's at it. Getting a shot a hole (with the bonus of two on one hole) and scoring like that. A handicap is being protected there. 

Out of interest, if a player enters three competitions in a season and posts an NR for each one resulting in a 0.1 increase each time, do they retain their handicap as they've entered the comp and signed the card? 

Does it not need to be completed cards?

33 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Not sure.    Could be a bit of discretion or maybe a minimum number of returned holes.    Entering 17 holes + 1 NR or 16+2 might be counted as a score I suppose.    

The handicaps FAQs on the SGU site suggest that NRs can be counted as one of the 3 scores.     It's ambiguous about whether a player intended to return a score of 18 holes... suggesting club discretion.     I doubt a club would accept 3 NRs in that case.    Or maybe 2 NRs with lots of NR holes.

Talking about chancers,    heard about an absolute belter at the weekend.

Well known pest at the club plays a tie,   concedes a very short putt which his opponent then casually tried to one-hander into the hole and it horseshoes out.    The guy then claims the ball is deemed to still be in play and claims the hole!!!     Then he half-backtracks and says he'll not claim the hole but reserves the right to do so later in the round if the game's tight!!!!!

His oppo told him to take the hole.    I would have told him to take the match.    

😂

Edited by Victorian

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Talking about chancers,    heard about an absolute belter at the weekend.

Well known pest at the club plays a tie,   concedes a very short putt which his opponent then casually tried to one-hander into the hole and it horseshoes out.    The guy then claims the ball is deemed to still be in play and claims the hole!!!     Then he half-backtracks and says he'll not claim the hole but reserves the right to do so later in the round if the game's tight!!!!!

His oppo told him to take the hole.    I would have told him to take the match.    

😂

Some folk are jokers. If the putt is conceded, surely the guy can still take a stroke as practice? You often see players taking practice putts once the hole is complete in major matchplay events. 

5 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Some folk are jokers. If the putt is conceded, surely the guy can still take a stroke as practice? You often see players taking practice putts once the hole is complete in major matchplay events. 

You can practice putting in a matchplay tie or even in medal play once the hole is finished.    The guy's claim,  as I understand,  was that the ball is still in play until the conceded putt was taken away.     I have heard similar before tbf.

But no player I would play golf with would seek to gain an advantage via that.     Putt conceded... hole over.     To then try to stick in in his back pocket for a rainy day was laughable.      

9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Was playing off 2 at the time.

Funnily on the two shot hole he had a mare and I won the hole (4th if I remember correctly). Thought here we go wee chance , how wrong could I be!!!!

William H. Bonney

Slow play. There’s no need. I lost my rag today on the 16th at west Linton. 2 ball in front with s buggy constantly taking the piss the whole round. Not only do they not ring the bell on 16 but they sit in their buggy chatting by the side of the green. 

I had a cracking round today but these arseholes really **** me off. Unfortunately, I let them know how I felt, which I probably shouldn’t have. 

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You can practice putting in a matchplay tie or even in medal play once the hole is finished.    The guy's claim,  as I understand,  was that the ball is still in play until the conceded putt was taken away.     I have heard similar before tbf.

But no player I would play golf with would seek to gain an advantage via that.     Putt conceded... hole over.     To then try to stick in in his back pocket for a rainy day was laughable.      

That's nonsense once the putt is conceded his hole is over, he could smash it with a driver or dance the highland fling on it, makes no difference.

Samuel Camazzola
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some folk, eh! 😄 

4 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Was playing off 2 at the time.

Funnily on the two shot hole he had a mare and I won the hole (4th if I remember correctly). Thought here we go wee chance , how wrong could I be!!!!

Have you checked to see if he's still a member and what he's playing off now? 

On the general rules front, it was refreshing to see and hear Billy Foster at the weekend. Matt Fitzpatrick had the official over due to an unfavourable shot he was faced with. Foster simply said 'if you want my opinion, get on with it. Otherwise you'll get accused of cheating'. 

3 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Slow play. There’s no need. I lost my rag today on the 16th at west Linton. 2 ball in front with s buggy constantly taking the piss the whole round. Not only do they not ring the bell on 16 but they sit in their buggy chatting by the side of the green. 

I had a cracking round today but these arseholes really **** me off. Unfortunately, I let them know how I felt, which I probably shouldn’t have. 

:thumbsup: Good for you, too many idiots with no idea.

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Some folk, eh! 😄 

Have you checked to see if he's still a member and what he's playing off now? 

On the general rules front, it was refreshing to see and hear Billy Foster at the weekend. Matt Fitzpatrick had the official over due to an unfavourable shot he was faced with. Foster simply said 'if you want my opinion, get on with it. Otherwise you'll get accused of cheating'. 

At different club now, if I see him again it will be too soon:thumbsup:

I've heard it before re the missed putt after it's given but I've just looked it up.    It makes no difference.    It is considered holed once conceded.    

I'll be trying to get that ***** on to the subject when I see him.     

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I've heard it before re the missed putt after it's given but I've just looked it up.    It makes no difference.    It is considered holed once conceded.    

I'll be trying to get that ***** on to the subject when I see him.     

Tell him he is a sad ****k, and nothing more than a cheat , cos  he tried to take advantage of the rules. Pretty sure it should be a loss of hole for him.

11 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Tell him he is a sad ****k, and nothing more than a cheat , cos  he tried to take advantage of the rules. Pretty sure it should be a loss of hole for him.

It's not my business to raise the subject but if it's possible to get him to then it would be fair game to suggest he should concede the tie.    I'll try to find out who he played because I didn't hear who that was.     He might not have set out to invent it as such.    He may have thought his so-called rule was kosher.    Like I said,    it rings a bell with me so it could be a bit of a golfing myth that other people believed.     

18 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's not my business to raise the subject but if it's possible to get him to then it would be fair game to suggest he should concede the tie.    I'll try to find out who he played because I didn't hear who that was.     He might not have set out to invent it as such.    He may have thought his so-called rule was kosher.    Like I said,    it rings a bell with me so it could be a bit of a golfing myth that other people believed.     

Sounds like an opportunist to me. Always carry a rule book, stops these types in their tracks. Not one I have heard of but been subjected  to a few crackers over the years.

10 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Sounds like an opportunist to me. Always carry a rule book, stops these types in their tracks. Not one I have heard of but been subjected  to a few crackers over the years.

Never felt the need.    If anyone comes out with anything iffy then I'll either know it's BS or just accept something if it sits right.   Which reminds me...

Once in a 4-ball tie,   guy I was playing against said he should have a drop away from a staked tree,   even though it was very obvious that the tree was nowhere near his swing or even going to hinder his ball path.    He proudly declared that he could take any stance of his choosing and just about did the full splits in a demented attempt to show he could take this stupid stance at the ball and 'intending' to play off in the wrong direction.     You could tell he was chuffed with himself that he was able to aid his cause through his brilliant mind.    I just laughed at him and waved him on.     I detected he was biting that I didn't give him any counter argument.

Is someone's that desperate,    let them carry on,   is my instinct.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Never felt the need.    If anyone comes out with anything iffy then I'll either know it's BS or just accept something if it sits right.   Which reminds me...

Once in a 4-ball tie,   guy I was playing against said he should have a drop away from a staked tree,   even though it was very obvious that the tree was nowhere near his swing or even going to hinder his ball path.    He proudly declared that he could take any stance of his choosing and just about did the full splits in a demented attempt to show he could take this stupid stance at the ball and 'intending' to play off in the wrong direction.     You could tell he was chuffed with himself that he was able to aid his cause through his brilliant mind.    I just laughed at him and waved him on.     I detected he was biting that I didn't give him any counter argument.

Is someone's that desperate,    let them carry on,   is my instinct.

Was playing in an Open Competition,with two guys who knew each other. 2nd tee player 1 carves his ball into the Bundi. After looking for about what seemed like 10 minutes, he proudly announced that he would just drop another ball at the edge of the rough about where thought his ball was !!! I pointed out that his only option was to go back to the tee. They both then launched into an expletive ridden blast at me. We played the hole out and the two of them never spoke another word to me all the way round and finished by throwing my card on the ground at 18. Both local members!!! Wont be back there in a hurry:rofl: 

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Was playing in an Open Competition,with two guys who knew each other. 2nd tee player 1 carves his ball into the Bundi. After looking for about what seemed like 10 minutes, he proudly announced that he would just drop another ball at the edge of the rough about where thought his ball was !!! I pointed out that his only option was to go back to the tee. They both then launched into an expletive ridden blast at me. We played the hole out and the two of them never spoke another word to me all the way round and finished by throwing my card on the ground at 18. Both local members!!! Wont be back there in a hurry:rofl: 

Stroke & distance.    It used to be an informal 'local' rule variation used by non medal playing clubs and societies to speed up play.    It's now an official rule,   albeit devolved to clubs to decide whether to adopt or not to.

He was obviously a chancer by trying to claim the drop at the edge of the fairway.     It should be as near as possible to the likely ball position.

Edited by Victorian

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Stroke & distance.    It used to be an informal 'local' rule variation used by non medal playing clubs and societies to speed up play.    It's now an official rule,   albeit devolved to clubs to decide whether to adopt or not to.

Absolutely fine in a bounce game -totally agree.

But in an Open playing for prizes??? (when it wasn't a rule)

Haven't played at one club yet who have adopted the new rule in competition play .

15 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Haven't played at one club yet who have adopted the new rule in competition play .

Of course.   It would surprise me if clubs did adopt it.     It's really open to abuse and/or ignorance.     

Ignorance of the basic 4 options rule regarding a penalty drop is astonishingly common.     Players just don't know the options and have to be talked through it.     The same applies to free drops.     Players seem totally ignorant of the process of taking a free drop.     Determine nearest point of relief no nearer hole... mark position... take one club length... mark again... drop within marks.     The most common things I see are either a roughly estimated drop away with a mark or measure,   or two clubs away from the object (tree or whatever).     

Edited by Victorian

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Of course.   It would surprise me if clubs did adopt it.     It's really open to abuse and/or ignorance.     

Ignorance of the basic 4 options rule regarding a penalty drop is astonishingly common.     Players just don't know the options and have to be talked through it.     The same applies to free drops.     Players seem totally ignorant of the process of taking a free drop.     Determine nearest point of relief no nearer hole... mark position... take one club length... mark again... drop within marks.     The most common things I see are either a roughly estimated drop away with a mark or measure,   or two clubs away from the object (tree or whatever).     

The funniest bit is some peoples interpretation of nearest point of relief - hilarious

4 minutes ago, merrymac said:

The funniest bit is some peoples interpretation of nearest point of relief - hilarious

Indeedy.    

10 hours ago, merrymac said:

Where the **** did this happen?

There would have been a letter written in, a right pair of pricks.

Handicap rose to 12.9 on Sunday.:sad:

Had a 9-hole stableford on Monday and managed 20 points and got a 0.6 cut.:yas:

Chuffed, bit feel a bit of cheat to be honest::lol:

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Where the **** did this happen?

There would have been a letter written in, a right pair of pricks.

Did mention it on the day to the organizer. Was going to follow it up, but when I got home so the funny side of it and just left it,probably should have put an official complaint in, in hindsight.

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Handicap rose to 12.9 on Sunday.:sad:

Had a 9-hole stableford on Monday and managed 20 points and got a 0.6 cut.:yas:

Chuffed, bit feel a bit of cheat to be honest::lol:

No way! Nine hole comps officially legal now - well done:thumbsup:

On 27/08/2019 at 19:24, merrymac said:

That's because it cant be recognised as a counting comp if the rule is in place.

Played Roxburghe on Saturday morning for an outing in pretty brutal conditions. A tough course with really unforgiving rough was made considerably tougher by 40mph gusts and on/off rain. Several long par 4s, some of which required 3 decent hits into the wind to get near the green. Would like to play it again in less punishing conditions.

Only 25 points for me and I still managed to finish 3rd out of 11. :lol:  I think the winner managed 31 points and she was off 42. I suspect barely getting the ball off the deck actually helped her a lot of the time!

46 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Played Roxburghe on Saturday morning for an outing in pretty brutal conditions. A tough course with really unforgiving rough was made considerably tougher by 40mph gusts and on/off rain. Several long par 4s, some of which required 3 decent hits into the wind to get near the green. Would like to play it again in less punishing conditions.

Only 25 points for me and I still managed to finish 3rd out of 11. :lol:  I think the winner managed 31 points and she was off 42. I suspect barely getting the ball off the deck actually helped her a lot of the time!

Tough course at the best of times. Played it last year, rough was brutal.

Incidentally, the rough at my course is utterly brutal just now as well. With all the rain and the warm conditions, it's so dense. Not even that long just proper lush. Lost 2 balls to it yesterday

24 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Incidentally, the rough at my course is utterly brutal just now as well. With all the rain and the warm conditions, it's so dense. Not even that long just proper lush. Lost 2 balls to it yesterday

Yep, sounds like the Roxburghe. The first cut was reasonably playable, but the second cut was harsh as ****, you had to spend ages trying to spot your ball, even when you were certain you knew where it went in. If you could see it, trying to get out even with a wedge was a struggle it was so thick.

If you went in the deep stuff, forget it. That ball is swallowed up never to be seen again. 

I thankfully only lost 2 balls and found 2 that weren't mine. One of my mates lost 11 balls. :lol: 

Edited by Ray Gin

40 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yep, sounds like the Roxburghe. The first cut was reasonably playable, but the second cut was harsh as ****, you had to spend ages trying to spot your ball, even when you were certain you knew where it went in. If you could see it, trying to get out even with a wedge was a struggle it was so thick.

If you went in the deep stuff, forget it. That ball is swallowed up never to be seen again. 

I thankfully only lost 2 balls and found 2 that weren't mine. One of my mates lost 11 balls. :lol: 

I even accused the guy in front of me of playing my ball on one hole, still reckon he did to be honest. He hit a shot exactly from where mine went in but couldn't find mine for the life of me :lol:

Know how your mate feels, I lost 10 to the Kittocks @ the Fairmont a couple years ago. They had tightened up the course and there was next to no first cut. Brutal!

Captain America

Played my first round in about 2 years last week.

Played Palacerigg in Cumbernauld, 1st time I played course and was quite impressed with it. Had course to myself almost which was great.

Actually played quite decent for me. Not near levels of most guys on thread but felt great making few pars. 

1 hour ago, Captain America said:

Played my first round in about 2 years last week.

Played Palacerigg in Cumbernauld, 1st time I played course and was quite impressed with it. Had course to myself almost which was great.

Actually played quite decent for me. Not near levels of most guys on thread but felt great making few pars. 

Well done a few pars on your first round in two years is pretty good.

Stick with it :thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I even accused the guy in front of me of playing my ball on one hole, still reckon he did to be honest. He hit a shot exactly from where mine went in but couldn't find mine for the life of me :lol:

Know how your mate feels, I lost 10 to the Kittocks @ the Fairmont a couple years ago. They had tightened up the course and there was next to no first cut. Brutal!

The conditions at St Andrews Bay were very tough on Saturday. After three holes, I discovered by waterproof jacket wasn't entirely waterproof and my rain glove was so wet that it made my grips just as wet. 

Only 24 points scored with 29 the top mark! 😄 

On 26/06/2019 at 17:56, JamboMarc said:

Played 9 holes at Wee Braids plus 2 rounds at Carricknowe in the last month. Wee Braids was the first time I had hit a ball in 9 years, back when I was a Junior member at Kingsknowe! 

Really enjoying it and Kingsknowe are doing a 8 week summer membership for £99 so gonna sign up for that and hopefully get back on track. 

Before I stopped I was always aiming to break 90, but my scores this month have been just over 100, although I had a highlight of +1 through 5 holes at Carricknowe during my last round. 

Dunno if it’s unrealistic but my target is to break 90 before the end of summer! ?? 

Finished my summer membership last week and was able to get to a better standard than expected. Ended up shooting a low of 84 but more consistently was around 88 towards the end. 

My best round by far was a few weeks ago at The Glen in North Berwick. It was a scorcher of a morning and almost no wind at all! I was playing a member/guest competition with my step uncle who is a member there - he’s pretty good playing off 3!

I bogeyed the first 3 holes and shot par for the next 4. Ended up 6 over at the turn. On the 13th (blind par 3) I got closest to the pin (6ft) at that point which was eventually beat! Played well on the back 9 too until a 3 putt on the 16th followed by another on the 17th - both for double bogeys! The first time I checked my score on the back 9 was on the 18th tee. I was at 79 at that point which was by far my best round at that time. That combined with the 18th being the longest drive competition meant I tried to melt my drive. Hit the ground before the ball and hooked it into the trees on the right off the 1st!! 3 off the tee then hacked my way up the 18th for an 8 to finish 87 for the day! Delighted to beat my best at the time which was 88 but gutted as I should have shot around 83/84! 

Now my summer membership is finished I’ve signed up full time at Kingsknowe. Now the first thing to do is get an official handicap!