Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Just thinking about something else on this...

This averaged best 8 of 20 could eventually lead to players' handicaps rising (probably slightly) when a reallt good spell of scores drops out of the last 20.     A player (in theory) will incur handicap increases,   even when they have scored reasonably well.

Example.

The player has a fantastic 3 scores and gets cut accordingly.     They then have a long,  extended run of scores 'on handicap'.     When the fantastic scores eventually drop out the arse end of the last 20,   their average differential will naturally rise.    As will the resultant handicap index.    

You could go up after a score that in today's system would be par,    or even under par.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to be moving back to my old club later this year. Much shorter than my current club......looking forward to a wee bit pot hunting 😉

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is that the King's Course? There was a feature on one of the golf sites at the weekend and the pictures looked impressive. 

Yea , pal. Does look good. Be a wee while before I will be able to play it but I can’t wait. 

Just seen some nice pictures online.... https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/pictures-invernesss-newest-golf-course-opens-180169/

If anyone is ever up and fancies a round I’ll be happy to sign you on 👍

Edited by Irufushi

Samuel Camazzola
55 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Yea , pal. Does look good. Be a wee while before I will be able to play it but I can’t wait. 

Just seen some nice pictures online.... https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/pictures-invernesss-newest-golf-course-opens-180169/

Looks great. Like a lot of new courses, will take a spell to bed in. 

I may take you up on the invitation one day. 

As someone who often plays Spey Valley, do you know if they've opened the additional course? I don't know if it is a nine hole /par 3 set up. 

42 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

As someone who often plays Spey Valley, do you know if they've opened the additional course? I don't know if it is a nine hole /par 3 set up. 

Wasn’t aware that they were opening an additional course? News to me. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Wasn’t aware that they were opening an additional course? News to me. 

I'll need to look into it. I'm pretty certain MacDonald had been creating something but not heard much else.

17 hours ago, Irufushi said:

That looks outstanding!

hmfc_liam06
19 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'll go :lol:

Need a bit of blaw at the Renaissance, the course is being spectacularly dismantled with the lack of typical Scottish weather.

4 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Need a bit of blaw at the Renaissance, the course is being spectacularly dismantled with the lack of typical Scottish weather.

At just over 7100 yards it's a bit on the short side for top players,   bordering on way too short when benign conditions exist.     Accessible placements + receptive greens will be devoured by these players.     All they can do is make the placements as difficult as possible to protect the course.     Even then,    it's heading for a winning score of about 262-264.   

27 minutes ago, Victorian said:

At just over 7100 yards it's a bit on the short side for top players,   bordering on way too short when benign conditions exist.     Accessible placements + receptive greens will be devoured by these players.     All they can do is make the placements as difficult as possible to protect the course.     Even then,    it's heading for a winning score of about 262-264.   

I've been fortunate to have played this venue on several occasions. Without the fore caddy our scores would've been in the hundreds (all single figure h/caps). The greens are huge with big undulations, this is where the fore caddy saved us teens of shots. I know this is what these professionals do for a living, but the putting display yesterday was incredible, worth the entrance fee alone.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

13 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

I've been fortunate to have played this venue on several occasions. Without the fore caddy our scores would've been in the hundreds (all single figure h/caps). The greens are huge with big undulations, this is where the fore caddy saved us teens of shots. I know this is what these professionals do for a living, but the putting display yesterday was incredible, worth the entrance fee alone.

Definitely.    The putting skills these guys have are off the chart.     Distance control,  reading and precision of strike.

2 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Played it a good few times too, the greens are very very tricky as you say - i'm actually looking forward to seeing where they put the pins over the weekend, not many places to put them on those greens

3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Played it a good few times too, the greens are very very tricky as you say - i'm actually looking forward to seeing where they put the pins over the weekend, not many places to put them on those greens

200 yards over the dyke, Muirfield must be like :verysmug: it's stood up to most tests since 1891, very clever design.

The Mighty Thor

Never really got the logic of playing a Scottish Open on anything other than one of Scotland's unique links golf courses. 

I certainly don't get why you'd take it to an American Scotchland country club. 

They keep banging on about Renaissance links on TV. Its not a links, regardless of how much money you throw at it.

Samuel Camazzola

If anyone is looking to play the Old Course but has either been unsuccessful with the ballots or couldn't justify paying the fee, consider contacting the Links to see what availability they have for next year's Longest Day Challenge. You may be fortunate enough to secure one of their slots along with access to three of their other courses for free. 😉👍

7 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Never really got the logic of playing a Scottish Open on anything other than one of Scotland's unique links golf courses. 

I certainly don't get why you'd take it to an American Scotchland country club. 

They keep banging on about Renaissance links on TV. Its not a links, regardless of how much money you throw at it.

100% this.   

The Mighty Thor
14 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Van Rooyen sporting a pair of nasty breeks. Two shot penalty required me thinks. 

Joggers?

He should be asked to leave the course. 

You wouldn't get away with that round Porty 9 holer

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Joggers?

He should be asked to leave the course. 

You wouldn't get away with that round Porty 9 holer

He took a quadruple on the 2nd to pay for the shocker. 

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He took a quadruple on the 2nd to pay for the shocker. 

Nike gear. 

Fecking awful shite for fat yanks and wannabees 

Samuel Camazzola
57 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Nike gear. 

Fecking awful shite for fat yanks and wannabees 

He used to wear the Nike stuff but seems to be wearing the Grayson stuff now. 

Tommy Brown

Another "if only" night on Wednesday.

0.2 cut to 12.1

Really need to work on my really short game, within 10 yds of the green, I'm ****ing hopeless. Yippy fud.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Anyone had a shot of 'same length irons'?     Wtf?      I didn't even know such sets existed.     

It's a reasonable principle behind them.    To have every iron the same length and similar weight to develop a grooved,  repetitive swing.    But how alien would that be?     To try to commit to shot with clubs,  most of which are completely non standard.     No ta.

William H. Bonney
50 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Anyone had a shot of 'same length irons'?     Wtf?      I didn't even know such sets existed.     

It's a reasonable principle behind them.    To have every iron the same length and similar weight to develop a grooved,  repetitive swing.    But how alien would that be?     To try to commit to shot with clubs,  most of which are completely non standard.     No ta.

bryson dechambeau plays with them. 

Golf Score 18 July

Honestly - the Rain came down like a power shower on 2 different holes - can you guess which ones?   The CSS looks like it might be 74 - I could actually cut 0.2 with my 8 and 7 being brought back to double bogeys! 

Golf can be a frustrating game

Samuel Camazzola
9 hours ago, Victorian said:

Back in the junior days, one of the guys at my club worked at a driving range and fitted a 5 iron with a driver length shaft. The thing launched the ball like a rocket and gained a huge amount of distance. My standard 5 iron nowadays is 205 yards carry. Back in the day, this thing was reaching over 230.

10 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Another "if only" night on Wednesday.

0.2 cut to 12.1

Really need to work on my really short game, within 10 yds of the green, I'm ****ing hopeless. Yippy fud.

Aye, you really do with Tuesday looming.

43 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Back in the junior days, one of the guys at my club worked at a driving range and fitted a 5 iron with a driver length shaft. The thing launched the ball like a rocket and gained a huge amount of distance. My standard 5 iron nowadays is 205 yards carry. Back in the day, this thing was reaching over 230.

205 is a whack with a 5 iron.   Not bad.

I've tried extra long drivers before but you have to swing so smoothly with them.    Any hint of stepping on it and you get all out of shape.     

hmfc_liam06
51 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

205 yards carry with a 5 iron...😧

Don't even think my 3 wood carries that!

hmfc_liam06

A very ugly win in the singles last night sees me through to the quarter finals, the guy I will be playing is the same handicap so it's a great chance to progress to the semi's.

Couldn't buy a drive all game but kept hanging on in there. Was 1 down going down 16, managed to win that then somehow halved 17 with a double bogey after he 3 putted. Finally found the driver on 18, left myself 80 yards to the green and put a wedge to inches for a tap in birdie. Game over.

:pleasing:

*if I was playing anyone better, I'd have been dead and buried.

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

205 yards carry with a 5 iron...😧

Don't even think my 3 wood carries that!

Some hit! :wow: 

I carry about 200 with my 3 hybrid on a good day. 

hmfc_liam06
13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Some hit! :wow: 

I carry about 200 with my 3 hybrid on a good day. 

Genuinely reckon it's just the driver that I could carry 200. According to Game Golf my average distances (total) are:

Driver 228

3 wood 205

4 hybrid 191

4 iron 170

And then each iron is pretty much in increments of 10.

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How far does your non-standard 5 iron carry?

I reckon a good 5 iron would carry about 160.    Rarely carry a 4 iron.    Hybrid 180.    4 wood about 200.     Not that I give a monkeys as it's all eye & feel.    I don't have the swing speed to get near these in a wind or in cold conditions.    If I need a 4 wood to carry and maybe run 170 yards then so-be-it.      Powder puff mo-fo sometimes.

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

How far does your non-standard 5 iron carry?

Iron numbers are subjective nowadays. My irons are Mizuno which seem to carry a stronger loft than other brands. 

A 'standard' shot for my irons is a draw which gains a bit of distance. If I look to go for a high fade, the 5 iron is around the 180/185 mark. A straight(ish) mid to high flight 5 iron is 190/195.

It's the 50 yards and in pitching and chipping I need to work on. This is and always will be the part of the game which separates the standard of players. 

44 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Iron numbers are subjective nowadays. My irons are Mizuno which seem to carry a stronger loft than other brands. 

A 'standard' shot for my irons is a draw which gains a bit of distance. If I look to go for a high fade, the 5 iron is around the 180/185 mark. A straight(ish) mid to high flight 5 iron is 190/195.

It's the 50 yards and in pitching and chipping I need to work on. This is and always will be the part of the game which separates the standard of players. 

With the length that you declare, why are you missing greens by 50 yards?

Apparently in 2009 the average carry for a 5 iron on the PGA Tour was 181 yards.

https://golftips.golfweek.com/average-pga-drive-20080.html

Will be bigger than that now with new clubs.

I'm around 165-170 with 20 year old clubs, which isn't too shabby distance wise for a 17 handicapper. Getting them to go straight is a different matter. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Because he'll be bombing 300 yard drives on par 4s, leaving just a short pitch to the green.

Samuel Camazzola

Keep finding divots. Fairway mats were not used during the winter months. 

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Apparently in 2009 the average carry for a 5 iron on the PGA Tour was 181 yards.

https://golftips.golfweek.com/average-pga-drive-20080.html

Will be bigger than that now with new clubs.

I'm around 165-170 with 20 year old clubs, which isn't too shabby distance wise for a 17 handicapper. Getting them to go straight is a different matter. :lol: 

At the other end of the scale, the Sky Open Zone have been doing the 148 yard challenge where most of the guys have been using p wedge or 50/52 degree. For this carry, I'd be looking at an 8 iron. 

Their effortless technique is a joy to watch. 

I recently hoiked a drive straight left into a big stand of trees about 80 yards off the tee.    To my very great luck it kissed off one at a perfect angle and ended up safe in the fairway with a short iron left.    About 50 yards short of where the vast majority of tee shots collect in a bowl shaped area (divot city).    I'm in a bit where no shots would end up... in a deep divot.

:muggy:

23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Because he'll be bombing 300 yard drives on par 4s, leaving just a short pitch to the green.

3 wood is the best option then if he can't pitch from 50.

hmfc_liam06
15 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

At the other end of the scale, the Sky Open Zone have been doing the 148 yard challenge where most of the guys have been using p wedge or 50/52 degree. For this carry, I'd be looking at an 8 iron. 

Their effortless technique is a joy to watch. 

Yardage is always a funny subject. Especially when you see someone like the PGA Tweet a photo of a hole and caption it "174 yards of carry on this par 3, what would you hit?". You then see guys reply with 8 and 9 irons etc.

:Aye:

25 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Keep finding divots. Fairway mats were not used during the winter months. 

Unlucky!

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I recently hoiked a drive straight left into a big stand of trees about 80 yards off the tee.    To my very great luck it kissed off one at a perfect angle and ended up safe in the fairway with a short iron left.    About 50 yards short of where the vast majority of tee shots collect in a bowl shaped area (divot city).    I'm in a bit where no shots would end up... in a deep divot.

:muggy:

One ruling that should have been changed. Utterly crap that you should be punished for some other w@nk on the course not repairing his divot.

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

One ruling that should have been changed. Utterly crap that you should be punished for some other w@nk on the course not repairing his divot.

Or her divot.

Samuel Camazzola

3 wood is the best option then if he can't pitch from 50.

I don't hit it far with drivers. Used to hit a fairly long ball when I had an 8.5 TM but moved on to another with a lower flight and more controlled. 

I don't hit drivers often too. 3 wood, 2 iron or hybrid mainly.