Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

hmfc_liam06
35 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Keep finding divots. Fairway mats were not used during the winter months. 

Balbirnie? I know some parkland courses are doing away with mats in the winter but I found them not using them pretty strange, it's soaking in the winter.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

One ruling that should have been changed. Utterly crap that you should be punished for some other w@nk on the course not repairing his divot.

I tend to disagree.    I don't think golf should try to become too homogenised in terms of rub-of-the-green.      

One might win a competition one day and never know about the cavernous divot the 2nd placed guy ended up in at the 18th and then shanked it OB.

Samuel Camazzola
20 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

One ruling that should have been changed. Utterly crap that you should be punished for some other w@nk on the course not repairing his divot.

Agreed. Preferred lies rulings come in (even at pro level) when the fairways get on the soft side after a lot of rain. Lift, clean and place. Players shouldn't be punished for lazy players not taking care of the course. 

The Mighty Thor
5 hours ago, Victorian said:

I reckon a good 5 iron would carry about 160.    Rarely carry a 4 iron.    Hybrid 180.    4 wood about 200.     Not that I give a monkeys as it's all eye & feel.    I don't have the swing speed to get near these in a wind or in cold conditions.    If I need a 4 wood to carry and maybe run 170 yards then so-be-it.      Powder puff mo-fo sometimes.

Sounds about right.

My bag is filling with head covers 😂 mind you I'm playing my best golf for years swinging easy and taking more club.

If I tried to leather a 5 that distance I'd be crippled. 

Edit: just watching Laura Davies on open zone saying she hits her 5 iron 180. 😂 

Edited by The Mighty Thor

Tommy Brown
7 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Aye, you really do with Tuesday looming.

:yas:

Great week ahead for links golf.

Kilspindie, Fraserburgh 36 holes on Saturday and Murcar on Sunday.

Never played any before.

11 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Never played any before.

Im staying not to far from murcar at the moment, might pop down and heckle you 😂

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Im staying not to far from murcar at the moment, might pop down and heckle you 😂

I'm easy put off,......

Looks an awesome course. When I worked in Bridge of Don, I was going to take a country membership. But I ended up getting another job back home in West Lothian.

11 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I'm easy put off,......

Looks an awesome course. When I worked in Bridge of Don, I was going to take a country membership. But I ended up getting another job back home in West Lothian.

Newmacher is the one I’d like to play around here. Although there’s plenty of nice tracks tbf.

Tommy Brown
Just now, Irufushi said:

Newmacher is the one I’d like to play around here. Although there’s plenty of nice tracks tbf.

Primal idea was Newmacher, it turned out their open was no the championship course. So we opted for Fraserburgh.

Great flyover video of Murcar.

For those not in the know. Murcar is between Trump and Royal Aberdeen. Great courses.

Cruden Bay another on the bucket list.

12 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Primal idea was Newmacher, it turned out their open was no the championship course. So we opted for Fraserburgh.

Great flyover video of Murcar.

For those not in the know. Murcar is between Trump and Royal Aberdeen. Great courses.

Cruden Bay another on the bucket list.

Sounds like a great week of golf. Enjoy 👍

13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Never played any before.

Forecast, sunny, 24 deg's, 11 mph southerly...need more blaw or the wee course will be on it's knees.

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Forecast, sunny, 24 deg's, 11 mph southerly...need more blaw or the wee course will be on it's knees.

Are you telling me to just bring my driver, wedge and putter?

:whistling:

59 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Are you telling me to just bring my driver, wedge and putter?

:whistling:

Aye, if you can manage your wedge 176 yards @ the 8th over the water (hope the tides in) & 13th @ 187 yards.

Just looked, the tides in, make sure you have a spool in your camera.

Saturday medal.  76(40/36) - 7 = 69.   Yet another struggle on the first 5 (inc the ever present double bogey) and +2 for the remaining 13.   Had a chance of a cut with level par for the final 3 but it was bogey-bogey-birdie.    Quite annoying to come away without a cut unless the css rises.   Not likely.    

Edited by Victorian

Ah the things you see if you look too closely...

Just been doing a hole by hole scoring analysis of my 8 medal rounds this season.     There's a few things to be pleased about but there are glaring concerns.     3 of the 18 holes over 8 rounds add up to... 31 over par.   :(

11 of my 18 doubles have arrived at these holes.     11 out of 24.    Just 3 pars from 24.    I could quite easily be a full shot better on handicap if just some of those shots were saved.      Two of the holes are long with uphill sections and difficult greens.     The other is long with no uphills and an easier green.    

One or two other troublesome holes and a lot of surprisingly good ones.

ALL of my medal birdies on the back 9.  

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Ah the things you see if you look too closely...

Just been doing a hole by hole scoring analysis of my 8 medal rounds this season.     There's a few things to be pleased about but there are glaring concerns.     3 of the 18 holes over 8 rounds add up to... 31 over par.   :(

11 of my 18 doubles have arrived at these holes.     11 out of 24.    Just 3 pars from 24.    I could quite easily be a full shot better on handicap if just some of those shots were saved.      Two of the holes are long with uphill sections and difficult greens.     The other is long with no uphills and an easier green.    

One or two other troublesome holes and a lot of surprisingly good ones.

ALL of my medal birdies on the back 9.  

I'll hazard a guess and say you've played the 2nd hole to par or under? Straightforward hole if you don't get greedy off the tee. 

Been playing a couple rounds recently on some public courses, and enjoying getting back into the golf. However looking to pick up a secondhand 5 Wood and driver, have a 3 wood lined up that I'm getting tomorrow. 

I don't know what the hell I'm looking to buy tbough when it comes to drivers, there seems To be so many variables, club loft, shaft stiffness etc.. Can anyone recommend anything? And does anyone have an old driver for sale perhaps? 

Thanks. 

Samuel Camazzola
38 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

Been playing a couple rounds recently on some public courses, and enjoying getting back into the golf. However looking to pick up a secondhand 5 Wood and driver, have a 3 wood lined up that I'm getting tomorrow. 

I don't know what the hell I'm looking to buy tbough when it comes to drivers, there seems To be so many variables, club loft, shaft stiffness etc.. Can anyone recommend anything? And does anyone have an old driver for sale perhaps? 

Thanks. 

Are you based in Edinburgh or Lothians? 

This may be up your street as you can try them out and find something that fits your budget. 

https://www.golfclubs4cash.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjwpuXpBRAAEiwAyRRPgWuR88iX1Nged_tXwObw0cHIy_ik2S7N0tuR0ptVna-fna_7v6_LMRoCBC0QAvD_BwE

Samuel Camazzola

2026 Ryder Cup confirmed for Ireland. Will hopefully apply to go to that one. Best sporting event I've ever attended. 

Golfclubs4cash sell on ebay.    Very competitive prices.     Ask for Mikey Knowles if you phone direct.

If you're getting a pair of fairway woods,   ideally get a matched set of woods.    Same make and line.    Same shafts stiffness.     

Samuel Camazzola
22 minutes ago, Jambomuzz said:

Glasgow mate lol

As Vic says below, they also trade online. 

If your conscious about getting a spec to suit your game, consult a local pro as they should have 2nd hand clubs to accommodate price and ability. 

If you'd class your ability as a novice, forget the driver and concentrate on the 5 wood then adapt the 3 wood. Look at hybrids instead of 3 to 5 irons too. You'll enjoy the game more by finding clubs that you can hit consistently. 

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Golfclubs4cash sell on ebay.    Very competitive prices.     Ask for Mikey Knowles if you phone direct.

If you're getting a pair of fairway woods,   ideally get a matched set of woods.    Same make and line.    Same shafts stiffness.     

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

2026 Ryder Cup confirmed for Ireland. Will hopefully apply to go to that one. Best sporting event I've ever attended. 

I'll be retired by then, plenty practice, should make the team, see you there...:thumbsup:

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

I'll be retired by then, plenty practice, should make the team, see you there...:thumbsup:

I might have to hope for a wildcard. 

Michael Campbell 2005 US Open champion played kilspindie on Friday 19th July.

Out in 28, aced the 5th 290 yard par 4.

Back in 31, boggied 16th, easy par on Tuesday Tommy!

59 shots just, his first ever.

42 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

So he wasn't trapped at the 17th or 18th by that well known,  integral golf course feature... a ruddy great wall?

36 minutes ago, Victorian said:

So he wasn't trapped at the 17th or 18th by that well known,  integral golf course feature... a ruddy great wall?

Nope, he just flew it on both occasions, like I do.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

It didn't prep him well for the Senior Open - missed the cut last night! 😄 

This will be his first season on the Senior Tour. He had been running an academy in Spain for several years. 

Cracking player in his day. Impressive albatross too! 

hmfc_liam06
30 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It didn't prep him well for the Senior Open - missed the cut last night! 😄 

This will be his first season on the Senior Tour. He had been running an academy in Spain for several years. 

Cracking player in his day. Impressive albatross too! 

Too easy a course for tournament preparation. 

46 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Too easy a course for tournament preparation. 

Agreed, but North Berwick, Dunbar & Goswick were.

Tommy Brown

4 rounds of links golf this week

Tuesday- Kind invite from @Old Blue Eyes to the lovely Kilspindie. :2thumbsup:

Very enjoyable in the baking evening heat andno breeze.

Saturday - 36 holes at Fraserburgh, bloody tough. Low handicapper mate didnt like it as it is toally unfair.

Certainly didn't suit his wild shots :whistling:. The weather was glorious up there with a stiff breeze to keep the difficulty up.

Today - Murcar, Absolutly loved it, Cannot recommend it enough.

Ruined a decent card with a 9 & a 7. If your a bit off line your punished, some really scary tee shots.

9 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

4 rounds of links golf this week

Tuesday- Kind invite from @Old Blue Eyes to the lovely Kilspindie. :2thumbsup:

Very enjoyable in the baking evening heat andno breeze.

Saturday - 36 holes at Fraserburgh, bloody tough. Low handicapper mate didnt like it as it is toally unfair.

Certainly didn't suit his wild shots :whistling:. The weather was glorious up there with a stiff breeze to keep the difficulty up.

Today - Murcar, Absolutly loved it, Cannot recommend it enough.

Ruined a decent card with a 9 & a 7. If your a bit off line your punished, some really scary tee shots.

Nice birdie on 17 to close the game out, never seen anyone remove their opponents ball from the cup then drop-kick it into a neighbouring course...funny as!

What driver did the big guy have in the bag up North?

Glad you enjoyed kilspindie and thank you for the Pro V's, much appreciated.

hmfc_liam06

Had an absolute shit show at Balbirnie yesterday, utterly woeful off the tee and around the greens. Nearly ruined someones Sunday lunch off the 6th tee, mega slice right into the houses running alongside the hole :lol:

Back up to 17. Been a poor season so far in all honesty, only the one cut and far too many 0.1's.

Tommy Brown

I have a time 12:04 for Downfield Open on Saturday.

If anyone wants to play instead of me, please pm. £20 entry.

Tommy Brown
3 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Nice birdie on 17 to close the game out, never seen anyone remove their opponents ball from the cup then drop-kick it into a neighbouring course...funny as!

What driver did the big guy have in the bag up North?

Glad you enjoyed kilspindie and thank you for the Pro V's, much appreciated.

I feared he was going to drop kick me into Craigielaw.

He didn't go back out for the second round, he went home instead. Greetin' of a sore arm.

he had a 9 at the 2nd, he was close NR, 2 balls off the tee that were never findable. 

Lucky we were last out, he came to his senses and went back to the tee :lol:

Scoring was high, low handicappers hitting mid-80s

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Had an absolute shit show at Balbirnie yesterday, utterly woeful off the tee and around the greens. Nearly ruined someones Sunday lunch off the 6th tee, mega slice right into the houses running alongside the hole :lol:

Back up to 17. Been a poor season so far in all honesty, only the one cut and far too many 0.1's.

Going by the value of the houses at Mount Frost, they'll be able to afford to repair any damage caused no problem! 😄 

From the number of times I've played the hole, I can't recall anyone putting a ball OB despite the house running parallel with the fairway. Quite unique for a hole of that design. 

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Going by the value of the houses at Mount Frost, they'll be able to afford to repair any damage caused no problem! 😄 

From the number of times I've played the hole, I can't recall anyone putting a ball OB despite the house running parallel with the fairway. Quite unique for a hole of that design. 

It took an absolute dunt off a fence or a shed. There was an old boy cutting grass who gave us a death stare as we walked down the hole...oops :lol:

It was a shocker of a shot, come flying off the toe with the face wide open. Not good! I think why most don't go OB there is that there's so much bail out left, straightforward 2nd shot even from the 8th fairway.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It took an absolute dunt off a fence or a shed. There was an old boy cutting grass who gave us a death stare as we walked down the hole...oops :lol:

It was a shocker of a shot, come flying off the toe with the face wide open. Not good! I think why most don't go OB there is that there's so much bail out left, straightforward 2nd shot even from the 8th fairway.

It's a hole that's pretty short for a par 5 (under 500 yards) but you don't want your tee shot to be long enough to reach the downslope as you'll end up with a hanging lie in the rough. You also don't want to be too far back if you have ideas of going for it in two or too far left to be out of position for a decent approach. 

Quite a difficult green to land it on as it's narrow and runs off from front right to back left. 

On How Did I Do, you see so many rounds wrecked at this hole as a lot do not want to play it conservatively. 

15 hours ago, Victorian said:

Meh,  low handicappers club.   Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerers ways Lord Vader.    Looks good but.

Played with my mate of 12  - hits an OK ball - flew this right over where his driver finished.. he wasn't impressed!  Shot a 69 as well... So- - works for me! 

7 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Played with my mate of 12  - hits an OK ball - flew this right over where his driver finished.. he wasn't impressed!  Shot a 69 as well... So- - works for me! 

Yeah these seem to be good for the more prodigious of hitters.     If you get something near to driver distance + increased accuracy then superb.

HeinzTomatoSoup
On 10/10/2018 at 10:35, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

From the start of June i was given my first ever handicap of 29, now currently down at 22. My target was 20 but made loads of errors which prevented me from breaking 90. on various occasions

One more medal to go this weekend so hopefully get cut again.

Looking forward to next year.

Currently got my handicap down to 15, which was my goal for this year. Still think i can get lower before season ends, however my goal now until end of season is just to break 80 and let handicap take care of its self.

If only i could use my driver.....

hmfc_liam06

God knows what it is about match play but it brings out the best in me. A +11 (-6 net) round in the quarter finals of the singles, should have been 2 or 3 less as I 3 putted twice and bombed a 9 iron into a pond.

Was never up in the tie, 2 down thru 13, ended up winning 14/15/16/17, going level par scratch through those four.

Play the father in law in the semi if he can get through, tasty :lol:

Samuel Camazzola

The British Open at Woburn was superb over the weekend. I'm not a fan of the tournament not being played over a Links course this year but the standard of play was superb, topped off with the title being decided by a birdie on the final green. 

Scottish Open this week at The Renaissance should be good. 

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The British Open at Woburn was superb over the weekend. I'm not a fan of the tournament not being played over a Links course this year but the standard of play was superb, topped off with the title being decided by a birdie on the final green. 

Scottish Open this week at The Renaissance should be good. 

great to watch the last hour.

The young winner's personality and speech were joyous :lol:

The winning putt flew in. Think it would have left the green if not on target

_108188830_shibuno_sweets_getty.jpg

:love:

hmfc_liam06

Easily the most frustrating medal ever yesterday.

Off to a reasonable start then...

4th, dogleg. Cut the corner and it's looking good, catches a pile of cut grass and stops the ball right behind a tree.

7th. Tee shot just right of centre, hits a downslope and shoots off right, right next to a fence.

8th. 2nd shot in is a carry of a pond. I carry it, hit the last yellow stake and it bounces off it and back into the pond.

But the worst of the day is the 14th. Tee shot flush down the middle but it's a dogleg with the corner running adjacent to the 13th fairway. We've recently planted trees and only last week were the stakes removed...and I find myself tight up against one. I have to chunk it out as best I can, it then hits a downslope and shoots right, right next to a tree. Difficult wedge on to the green but manageable. Wedge hits another downslope, shoots off thru the green and lands on a tree stump :lol:

:seething:

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

great to watch the last hour.

The young winner's personality and speech were joyous :lol:

The winning putt flew in. Think it would have left the green if not on target

_108188830_shibuno_sweets_getty.jpg

:love:

Shibuno's attitude and personality was a credit to her and the game. Fair play to her for doing a speech in English. Many wouldn't have bothered if they didn't have a grasp but she made a huge effort and prepared well. 

From watching the weekend's play, I think amateurs could learn more from these pros than the guys on the men's circuit.