Victorian

Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Dino Velvet

Played Bathgate today for the first time. Nice course. Greens are superb. 

hmfc_liam06

BOOM! The bandit has been dispatched! Nice 4&2 win tonight.

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Played Bathgate today for the first time. Nice course. Greens are superb. 

They were superb when I played it in March.

Barack
17 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

BOOM! The bandit has been dispatched! Nice 4&2 win tonight.

Putted him off the course...?

:jjyay:

hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Putted him off the course...?

:jjyay:

Haha not quite but everything was pretty decent, I played to 3 under my HC for the round.

They were 3 up through 7. The bandit was +4 scratch thru 8! We won 8-14 to go 4 up with 4 to play. He drained a monster on 15 to take it back to 3 but my partner chipped in on 16 for the 4&2. It was utterly glorious seeing them unravel in that 7 hole spell. Clubs launched, the lot :lol:

Barack
Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haha not quite but everything was pretty decent, I played to 3 under my HC for the round.

They were 3 up through 7. The bandit was +4 scratch thru 8! We won 8-14 to go 4 up with 4 to play. He drained a monster on 15 to take it back to 3 but my partner chipped in on 16 for the 4&2. It was utterly glorious seeing them unravel in that 7 hole spell. Clubs launched, the lot :lol:

What was he claiming he played off?

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Barack said:

What was he claiming he played off?

20. He was at it from the off, claiming it was 100% of handicap as well.

He also jumped all over a gimmie after I asked my partner if their putt was good or not.

Me - Is that good?
Him - (Couldn't pick up his ball quick enough) He's called it, it's good, you can't take it back.

Arse! A very satisfying win.

Barack
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

20. He was at it from the off, claiming it was 100% of handicap as well.

He also jumped all over a gimmie after I asked my partner if their putt was good or not.

Me - Is that good?
Him - (Couldn't pick up his ball quick enough) He's called it, it's good, you can't take it back.

Arse! A very satisfying win.

Sounds like he's a well known fud.

I don't have an official handicap for numerous reasons. My Dad's the Captain at St. Fillan's, & when I'm home I'll go out with him(18) & the old boy's that play.

Sometimes, like recently, it was the Captain's Texas Scramble & I was allowed to play. I was given 18, due to the fact I play very very seldom, & the old boy's have seen me play before. I can have good days obviously, but with lack of practise they felt giving me that was fair. There would be no grumbles from other team's if we'd won it.

Same if I play with them & they have a game on where there's something to play for. If I won it, I'd obviously be discounted. 

Guys like who you played with give us social golfers a bad name. Toss-box. Glad you humped him!

Edited by Barack

hmfc_liam06
Just now, Barack said:

Sounds like he's a well known fud.

I don't have an official handicap for numerous reasons. My Dad's the Captain at St. Fillan's, & when I'm home I'll go out with him(18) & the old boy's that play.

Sometimes, like recently, it was the Captain's Texas Scramble & I was allowed to play. I was given 18, due to the fact I play very very seldom, & the old boy's have seen me play before. I can have good days obviously, but with lack of practise they felt giving me that was fair. There would be no grumbles from other team's if we'd won it.

Same if I play with them & they have a game on where there's something to play for. If I won it, I'd obviously be discounted. 

Guys like who you played with give us social golfers a bad name. Toss-box. Glad you jumped him!

Aye definitely a well know fud. There were about 6 or 7 guys in the clubhouse as we finished up, first thing they asked was "did you beat that bandit *****". Says it all.

Barack
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Aye definitely a well know fud. There were about 6 or 7 guys in the clubhouse as we finished up, first thing they asked was "did you beat that bandit *****". Says it all.

?? 

Yup. If I'm playing "regularly" (about twice a month) I'm probably about a 15. That's fairly reflective, & I've scores on my app to prove it, should anyone think "bandit."

But, as they know me, & I'd hardly like my dad to be known as "The Bandit's Dad" if I tell them what I'm possibly off, after no golf in 6 months for example...everyone at the club is happy with that.

The one's that play for rewards, should be castrated on the 18th.

Bleedsmaroon

Just back from 7 nights 6 rounds in Belek, terrific courses and my liver and waistline are both wrecked!

hmfc_liam06

Victories in the 1st round of the fourball, foursomes and singles at my club this week ?

Barack
4 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Victories in the 1st round of the fourball, foursomes and singles at my club this week ?

Bandit prick.

:seething:

C94ABC1F-6B8E-490D-BFAA-5DEE914E7F8E.jpeg.1f967be18a43a85ff5bca3bffd266ba7.jpeg

hmfc_liam06
13 minutes ago, Barack said:

Bandit prick.

:seething:

Cheers Prez :lol:

Beat the club captain today, he's threatened to cut me :rofl:

Barack

Cheers Prez :lol:

Beat the club captain today, he's threatened to cut me :rofl:

Sounds like a very violent club you go to, mate.

Irufushi
6 hours ago, Barack said:

?

Tommy Brown

Played Linlithgow Open, timed perfectly to start when the rain stopped, got perfect conditions.

Really good greens.

Played solid for 8 (5 pars, 3 bogeys) then could not buy a par (a further 9 bogeys) with a superblob 9 at par 5 (2 balls lost into gorse):sob:

Because the visitor css was 72 I manage a 0.3 cut, should have been a lot more.:arghh:

Winner was a 67-5=62, a cracking score.

hmfc_liam06
7 hours ago, Barack said:

:rofl:

If you've ever been to Lochgelly, you'll know!

Tommy Brown

After mucking up at the weekend, good 65 midweek 

cut from 14 to 12 (1.2 actual) 

Should have been more over the two rounds, getting there again.

getting below 12 is a struggle, though.

Ray Gin

Had a nightmare with the shanks recently. The last few rounds I've played they creep in for a few holes, destroy my scorecard, then **** off again without me having any clue as to why I started doing it.

Went to the range last night and hit 100 balls. Not a single shank. Guaranteed when I play on Sunday I shank one off the first tee. 

Ray Gin
On 19/05/2019 at 00:34, Barack said:

:rofl:

Armageddon
52 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

After mucking up at the weekend, good 65 midweek 

cut from 14 to 12 (1.2 actual) 

Should have been more over the two rounds, getting there again.

getting below 12 is a struggle, though.

Well done!

I will reassure you that getting below 12 isn't a struggle, it's just taking time out to look where you leak shots.  If I was you I would do the following (I done all this when i went up to 11 last season and I'm now off 6 10 months later, there are far better players on here than me but thought I would share!)

- Find out far far you hit each club - i'm talking paying to have it done and they'll give you a list of the carry distances and run out distance.

- Take notes during a few practice rounds, where are your drives going? How far do you have into each hole? How many putts are you taking?  You might be 3 putting but actually that could be down to poor approach shots as opposed to poor putting.

- If you are serious about lowering your score then buy a laser (there's a cracker on Groupon called EasyGreen for £149)

- Routine:  Have a routine and stick to it (based on the above) walk to your ball and take a yardage (120y) you know straight away that's a PW, stand behind the ball a pick a line, take a practice swing or 2 to feel the shot and commit.

- Stretch before a round, you need to be loose and ready to score from the start - plenty warm up videos online with maybe 3 or 4 stretches.

- Finally PRACTICE!  Putt putt and putt, even in the house, 30 minutes a couple of times a week, it strengthens your posture and trains your stroke.  Chip in the back garden to different areas.

Good luck!

Irufushi
3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Well done!

I will reassure you that getting below 12 isn't a struggle, it's just taking time out to look where you leak shots.  If I was you I would do the following (I done all this when i went up to 11 last season and I'm now off 6 10 months later, there are far better players on here than me but thought I would share!)

- Find out far far you hit each club - i'm talking paying to have it done and they'll give you a list of the carry distances and run out distance.

- Take notes during a few practice rounds, where are your drives going? How far do you have into each hole? How many putts are you taking?  You might be 3 putting but actually that could be down to poor approach shots as opposed to poor putting.

- If you are serious about lowering your score then buy a laser (there's a cracker on Groupon called EasyGreen for £149)

- Routine:  Have a routine and stick to it (based on the above) walk to your ball and take a yardage (120y) you know straight away that's a PW, stand behind the ball a pick a line, take a practice swing or 2 to feel the shot and commit.

- Stretch before a round, you need to be loose and ready to score from the start - plenty warm up videos online with maybe 3 or 4 stretches.

- Finally PRACTICE!  Putt putt and putt, even in the house, 30 minutes a couple of times a week, it strengthens your posture and trains your stroke.  Chip in the back garden to different areas.

Good luck!

And buy yer gear from Armageddon ?

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Had a nightmare with the shanks recently. The last few rounds I've played they creep in for a few holes, destroy my scorecard, then **** off again without me having any clue as to why I started doing it.

Went to the range last night and hit 100 balls. Not a single shank. Guaranteed when I play on Sunday I shank one off the first tee. 

My bad shot so I've plenty experience with them.

It happens for me when I get on my toes and I end up leaning in on the downswing (I'm also prone to addressing the ball to closely). I've found for me, when addressing the ball, that taking a slight step back and positioning the ball slightly toe of centre works.

Victorian

It happens for me when I get on my toes and I end up leaning in on the downswing (I'm also prone to addressing the ball to closely). I've found for me, when addressing the ball, that taking a slight step back and positioning the ball slightly toe of centre works.

This.   It's a very common cause of the Shermans.     Weight shift forward at the top or on the way down.     A hanging lie is a typical hazard of the weight going forward.    Equally,    ball above the feet can cause the same thing.

There is no universal panacea for the shanks.    Unfortunately.    Addressing off the toe can be a sticking plaster but it can cause other woes.     

Ray Gin

I try that whenever they creep in and it seems to make it even worse. 

shrug-house.gif

Victorian

Gripping very slightly up the grip or narrowing the stance a bit are probably better.    Gripping up a little bit helps to keep you upright.     Narrower stance helps to keep your legs more passive through the shot.

Dino Velvet

My biggest problem right now is I hit my drives far too high. I mean really high. 

I went from the white tees to the pink ones recently but someone mentioned I should try the orange ones. 

Anybody got any advice? Should I perhaps narrow my stance a bit? 

Ray Gin
32 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Gripping very slightly up the grip or narrowing the stance a bit are probably better.    Gripping up a little bit helps to keep you upright.     Narrower stance helps to keep your legs more passive through the shot.

I'm 6'2 so already grip up near the top of my clubs. Will try the narrower stance next time though, cheers. 

Ray Gin
9 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

My biggest problem right now is I hit my drives far too high. I mean really high. 

I went from the white tees to the pink ones recently but someone mentioned I should try the orange ones. 

Maybe move the ball back an inch in your stance?

Victorian
9 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Might have little to do with tee height.   Could be something else entirely.

Ideally a driver is a nice wide,  sweeping swing and striking the ball slightly beyond the bottim of the swing.    A choppier swing and hitting slightly on the downswing can cause it to balloon.

Address the ball in a line with the left heel.    Concentrate on getting as much width as you can.   

Dino Velvet
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Maybe move the ball back an inch in your stance?

Yeah, someone mentioned that. I keep getting told to use high tees but I wonder if a lower tee would help? 

Victorian
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm 6'2 so already grip up near the top of my clubs. Will try the narrower stance next time though, cheers. 

Quite tall,  but gripping well up.    Could be your clubs are a tad short for you and you're stooping a bit.    The narrow stance is worth a go.    Maybe also concentrate on flexing the legs well and keeping a straight back.    Sitting in the shot.

Old Blue Eyes
7 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Faders of the golf ball rarely shank because the hosel is moving away from the ball (out to in swing path) Got a tip from my mate Butch, address the ball of the hosel, it monkeys with the brain which keeps the arms closer to the body. Another point to consider, shanks tend not to appear on full wedge shots, if close to the green always favour a full shot with more loft than a half swing with less loft. Good luck.

Dino Velvet
38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Might have little to do with tee height.   Could be something else entirely.

Ideally a driver is a nice wide,  sweeping swing and striking the ball slightly beyond the bottim of the swing.    A choppier swing and hitting slightly on the downswing can cause it to balloon.

Address the ball in a line with the left heel.    Concentrate on getting as much width as you can.   

It’s started happening recently as I’ve really concentrated on reducing my swing speed. I have a tendency to lose control of my swing. I’m  6’5 and as I’m reminded constantly I don’t need to belt it. 

But all my concentration in keeping it straight has resulted in skying it. I’m still hitting the ball a good distance but it could be so much more if I kept it low. 

I guess I should be grateful that I’m no longer slicing the ball but it still irks me. 

Victorian
39 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

It’s started happening recently as I’ve really concentrated on reducing my swing speed. I have a tendency to lose control of my swing. I’m  6’5 and as I’m reminded constantly I don’t need to belt it. 

But all my concentration in keeping it straight has resulted in skying it. I’m still hitting the ball a good distance but it could be so much more if I kept it low. 

I guess I should be grateful that I’m no longer slicing the ball but it still irks me. 

Sounds reasonable that the controlled swing is making you approach too steep.     Driver is always a shot for width and a shallow approach into the ball.    Strike slightly on the upswing.    You can reduce swing speed by being more compact.    A truncated backswing... but retaining the width.    More control by limiting the amount of wrist cock.     The wrists will cock and return as much as is necessary automatically.    

Ray Gin
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Yeah, someone mentioned that. I keep getting told to use high tees but I wonder if a lower tee would help? 

I'd definitely try going lower if you are hitting the ball too high.

Edited by Ray Gin

Victorian

Sorry to contradict but there's no point going for a lower tee until the cause has been established.    It could make things worse.     I know a player who can hit a driver off the deck and get a good,  high flight on it.     Tee height is only one variable.    Teeing it down can promote the hit being too early.    Not just on the upswing as it should be.    It normally also promotes a left to right shot.    A fade or cut.     Even if it's a manageable fade it's still a distance loser.

Get someone to look at how you're hitting first.    

Dino Velvet
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Sorry to contradict but there's no point going for a lower tee until the cause has been established.    It could make things worse.     I know a player who can hit a driver off the deck and get a good,  high flight on it.     Tee height is only one variable.    Teeing it down can promote the hit being too early.    Not just on the upswing as it should be.    It normally also promotes a left to right shot.    A fade or cut.     Even if it's a manageable fade it's still a distance loser.

Get someone to look at how you're hitting first.    

If I hit a driver off the deck I get a low flight. 

All the different advice is one of the problems with golf. There are so many things that can go wrong. So many potential solutions. 

I’m playing a bounce game on Monday so I’m going to try everything mentioned by those who replied. 

Victorian
4 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

If I hit a driver off the deck I get a low flight. 

All the different advice is one of the problems with golf. There are so many things that can go wrong. So many potential solutions. 

I’m playing a bounce game on Monday so I’m going to try everything mentioned by those who replied. 

Yes.  Not saying Ray Gin is wrong.  I might be wrong.   I am saying that tee height can be a red herring.   

If you can find a solution that enables a decent tee height then that's better.    You'll be a straighter hitter,   maybe even get a draw.     But width is everything off the tee.

Dino Velvet
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes.  Not saying Ray Gin is wrong.  I might be wrong.   I am saying that tee height can be a red herring.   

If you can find a solution that enables a decent tee height then that's better.    You'll be a straighter hitter,   maybe even get a draw.     But width is everything off the tee.

You’re right about width. I’m definitely guilty of being too steep with my back swing. 

Food for thought 

Victorian
2 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

You’re right about width. I’m definitely guilty of being too steep with my back swing. 

Food for thought 

Feeling more confident in what I've suggested then.    It's something I've always concentrated on for tee shots.    I start the backswing and the one thought is to sweep back wide.     It pulls the left arm straight and enables the shoulder turn.

Tempo is another factor.    The mantra is that slow back = fast down.    Being too deliberate in the backswing can lead to hitting from the top.     Timing goes to pot.      Brisk on the way back should retain good tempo.

Tommy Brown
19 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Well done!

Should do that, bought new Ping irons last year and feel better with them.

Without doubt, close to the green is horrendous, would rather be in a bunker or 80 yards plus than 20 yards, under 20 yards texas wedge or I'm a mess.  Putting on the whole is decent, but I get twitchy when on a score. Tend to miss left.

- If you are serious about lowering your score then buy a laser (there's a cracker on Groupon called EasyGreen for £149) Got one

I really need to get that done properly, agree.

I am the world's worst for "just in time". I have plenty time, but piss about then leave the house with 5 minutes to get there. Jumping red lights and still putting my shoes on half way down the first fairway.

19 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Good luck!

On the whole, game is in decent shape. Some days it goes haywire and I shoot in the 90's.

Trying to keep the swing consistency, keeping the Tempo.

Harry Potter
12 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Food for thought 

find this tee, total length 67 mm perfect for my M4 driver. 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

find this tee, total length 67 mm perfect for my M4 driver. 

This one, for some reason pic would not upload from my good camera .

This one only 574 kb from my old camera. 

002.JPG

Ray Gin
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

This one, for some reason pic would not upload from my good camera .

This one only 574 kb from my old camera. 

002.JPG

Looks massive!! White tees for me, about half that height. 

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Looks massive!! White tees for me, about half that height. 

What driver is Dino using, maybe a smaller head.

Ray Gin

Nightmare today at Crow Wood. Put tee shots in the trees on five holes forcing me to just knock it out sideways, 3 off the tee twice, 3-putted 4 times, 4-putted the last. Some of the greens were brutal. 

No shanks though at least. :lol:

Also almost tanned someone's windscreen with a wayward drive on 18. Bounced on the road running down the left side a split second before a car came around the corner. Luckily the ball bounced right over it. 

SectionG
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Nightmare today at Crow Wood. Put tee shots in the trees on five holes forcing me to just knock it out sideways, 3 off the tee twice, 3-putted 4 times, 4-putted the last. Some of the greens were brutal. 

No shanks though at least. :lol:

Also almost tanned someone's windscreen with a wayward drive on 18. Bounced on the road running down the left side a split second before a car came around the corner. Luckily the ball bounced right over it. 

After yesterday, fair play for just getting on the golf course.

Bigsmak

I'm over-golfed.  

Knackered - Played Gleneagles Queens today and it was hard work - Took on a risk/reward par 5 and took at 10... A 10... I cant remember the last time I had a 10 on a card (i'm off 4).  But my golf is all over the place.  There were 10 or 11 tap in pars, a couple of good birdies and some real nonsense going on as well... I have played 15 medals already this year, (3 next week) - been involved in 7 matchplay events ... I am knackered - I think I could do with a week or two away from it.. 

I have the yips in my chipping again - 

And I don't know if i'm going to hit a left to right or a right to left shot -  Or .... Straight!   I think I need to find enjoyment in the game again somehow! 

PS - I think i played 9 rounds in the last 8 days!