Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Always get my dad 2 four ball vouchers for his Xmas look to try and get the courses fairly close so we can make a wee trip off it, done Charleton and crail this year, can anyone recommend any courses? 

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Alfie13 said:

Always get my dad 2 four ball vouchers for his Xmas look to try and get the courses fairly close so we can make a wee trip off it, done Charleton and crail this year, can anyone recommend any courses? 

Any specific areas? 

2 minutes ago, Alfie13 said:

Not played much golf through the west so was thinking there for a change but any suggestions would be great 

Depends on your budget of course but there are loads bunched together on the west coast.

Gailes Links, Dundonald, Barassie, Prestwick St Nicholas etc

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Depends on your budget of course but there are loads bunched together on the west coast.

Gailes Links, Dundonald, Barassie, Prestwick St Nicholas etc

Had a look at Gailes links looks brilliant, that’s an option with a cheaper course for the second round. one course that keeps popping up is Cawder any idea what that’s like? 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Alfie13 said:

Had a look at Gailes links looks brilliant, that’s an option with a cheaper course for the second round. one course that keeps popping up is Cawder any idea what that’s like? 

Decent course (when I caddied there at a pro event back in '97! 😄

How much were you budgeting? 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

1 hour ago, Alfie13 said:

No idea sorry. Apparently the council courses (Lochgreen/Darley rings a bell?) are meant to be good if you're doing a cheaper 2nd course.

9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Decent course (when I caddied there at a pro event back in '97! 😄

How much were you budgeting? 

I’m sure I read that there was 2 courses at cawder so that would suit but not heard anything about the courses. 

probably looking to spend between £75 - £100 pp 

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

No idea sorry. Apparently the council courses (Lochgreen/Darley rings a bell?) are meant to be good if you're doing a cheaper 2nd course.

I will have a look into they courses, thanks 

If that's your total budget PP, I'm sure the Ayrshire council courses are like £20/25 a round so you'd have a good £75 towards another course.

Kilmarnock Barassie is £65-85 depending on time of year.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Alfie13 said:

I’m sure I read that there was 2 courses at cawder so that would suit but not heard anything about the courses. 

probably looking to spend between £75 - £100 pp 

How about picking up a few Bunkered magazine subscriptions (£36 a time). Along with the magazine you choose three rounds of golf from a list of about 12. (Some are free and some are £10 a pop). 

Each of the vouchers include extra offers including reduced buggy rates, subsidised additional rounds, food packages and option to bring additional players for a reduced green fee. 

If you're not fussed for reading the magazine, you only need to make use of one of the vouchers to justify your purchase. 👍 

38 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How about picking up a few Bunkered magazine subscriptions (£36 a time). Along with the magazine you choose three rounds of golf from a list of about 12. (Some are free and some are £10 a pop). 

Each of the vouchers include extra offers including reduced buggy rates, subsidised additional rounds, food packages and option to bring additional players for a reduced green fee. 

If you're not fussed for reading the magazine, you only need to make use of one of the vouchers to justify your purchase. 👍 

And make it a trip to Machrihanish...

Anyone played innerleithen course before? Meeting my dad for a round tomorrow lunch time, the road going through the middle of it gives me the fear, that has shank or slice written all over it for me.

2 hours ago, TheStig said:

Anyone played innerleithen course before? Meeting my dad for a round tomorrow lunch time, the road going through the middle of it gives me the fear, that has shank or slice written all over it for me.

Played it many years ago.Favourite hole was 5th I think...only 80 or so yards from roadside to a green on top of a rock.

Great wee course with friendly members

18 minutes ago, sinks said:

Played it many years ago.Favourite hole was 5th I think...only 80 or so yards from roadside to a green on top of a rock.

Great wee course with friendly members

Looking forward to it, we aren't that great but its good getting out trying different courses.

Carl Weathers
On 10/09/2019 at 13:23, Carl Weathers said:

Cheers. I think I'll keep going to the range and get some lessons booked. These are the clubs I have been given (need a good clean). 

20190906-190830.jpg

I bought new irons and bag from cash 4 clubs out at Loanhead.

20191027-120849.jpg

I've had 4 lessons now and go to the range fairly regularly but I'm still really bad. I can hit a 7 iron fairly consistently but only for 100 - 130 yards. 

Carl Weathers

I asked for clubs that are good for beginners and easy for hitting the ball. I spent slightly more than planned (£275 for the 8 irons) but as they are second hand I think I did ok.

22 hours ago, Carl Weathers said:

I bought new irons and bag from cash 4 clubs out at Loanhead.

20191027-120849.jpg

I've had 4 lessons now and go to the range fairly regularly but I'm still really bad. I can hit a 7 iron fairly consistently but only for 100 - 130 yards. 

Great irons, now try and keep it simple!  I had a lesson back in September and was given 3 things to work on, I can only work on 2 at the one time as 3 just messes with my head.

16 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone played Dundonald before? Heading there Saturday.

Played it many times, nice course fairly long and flat with some undulations., been in better condition recently - lots of slope on the greens.

They interestingly only have one set of tees at each hole, so you could be off the Tiger tee or nearly the Ladies.

Try a shot out of the bunker behind (and I mean behind) the short 11th.

Enjoy.

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Played it many times, nice course fairly long and flat with some undulations., been in better condition recently - lots of slope on the greens.

They interestingly only have one set of tees at each hole, so you could be off the Tiger tee or nearly the Ladies.

Try a shot out of the bunker behind (and I mean behind) the short 11th.

Enjoy.

Sadly not happening any more. Weather is meant to be horrendous.

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sadly not happening any more. Weather is meant to be horrendous.

Shame:unsure2:

Keep it on your list though well worth a visit:thumbsup:

On 26/10/2019 at 20:03, TheStig said:

Looking forward to it, we aren't that great but its good getting out trying different courses.

How did you get on at Innerleithen ?

2 minutes ago, sinks said:

How did you get on at Innerleithen ?

Was a good course enjoyed it, had a shocker on the 6th and 7th that ruined my score but hopefully get back for an other round soon.

Samuel Camazzola
On 24/10/2019 at 17:38, Alfie13 said:

If you're still on the hunt for a course, Gleneagles currently have a four ball offer with tee times set at £201.90.

4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

If you're still on the hunt for a course, Gleneagles currently have a four ball offer with tee times set at £201.90.

We done that for his birthday this year, played the centenary course it’s a great deal 

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Alfie13 said:

We done that for his birthday this year, played the centenary course it’s a great deal 

Dumbarnie opens in May but unless you're a Fife resident, you're looking at £230 a head. 

On 30/10/2019 at 17:10, merrymac said:

Shame:unsure2:

Keep it on your list though well worth a visit:thumbsup:

It's back on. 11.30 tee time booked.

On 30/10/2019 at 19:17, TheStig said:

Was the 6th and 8th actually, sliced my drive on both. Heavy rough on the 6th and into the water on the 8th🤦‍♂️

The Leithen water has gleefully collected a good few balls over the years right enough.

A nice relaxing wee knock round tho.

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

That looks cracking!

Have you re-gripped those irons?

yea had the grips ordered as soon as I bought them from you, midsize grips, big hands! 

51 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Are there tees that make you hit over the water?

nah , there is a hole to the right of that, but it would be nice if it was further right 👍

1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

yea had the grips ordered as soon as I bought them from you, midsize grips, big hands! 

nah , there is a hole to the right of that, but it would be nice if it was further right 👍

Did you go for those MC+ grips??

2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Did you go for those MC+ grips??

never heard of them pal? I put on white tour wrap golf pride ones.

34 minutes ago, sinks said:

Mats already?

aye on the par 3s , course only opened in July so I guess they’re being overly cautious 😂

Class round at Dundonald today, course is set up really fair for the winter. Can imagine it has some proper teeth during the season.

Some real stand out holes, the par 3's especially. Really enjoyed the 2nd, 17th and the couple holes along the railway line too.

Attached a photo of the bunker mentioned above. Doesn't look much from the photo but it can't see the pin from within :lol:

IMG_20191102_183744_541.jpg

Edited by hmfc_liam06

31 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Class round at Dundonald today, course is set up really fair for the winter. Can imagine it has some proper teeth during the season.

Some real stand out holes, the par 3's especially. Really enjoyed the 2nd, 17th and the couple holes along the railway line too.

Attached a photo of the bunker mentioned above. Doesn't look much from the photo but it can't see the pin from within :lol:

IMG_20191102_183744_541.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it.

Proper course for a new style links.

Did you try out the bunker, you cant really appreciate where it is until you actually see it.:unsure2:

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Glad you enjoyed it.

Proper course for a new style links.

Did you try out the bunker, you cant really appreciate where it is until you actually see it.:unsure2:

The car park and clubhouse were let downs for a course of its standing but can't fault the course itself. A good mix of holes.

Yeah I dropped a ball down and my cousin videoed me flush it clean out and through to the shite at the front of the green :lol:

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

The car park and clubhouse were let downs for a course of its standing but can't fault the course itself. A good mix of holes.

Yeah I dropped a ball down and my cousin videoed me flush it clean out and through to the shite at the front of the green :lol:

Its changed ownership a few times.

Used to be Loch Lomond members "winter course" arf arf!

Think they have been spending a lot on the course, as its improved a lot in condition.

Maybe clubhouse next on the list.

One of the times I played I bet my partner £20 he could'nt up and down itfrom that bunker. Flopped it to top  edge of the green ,and holed  30 footer down the hill. I never learn.

I did the same as you.

1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Its changed ownership a few times.

Used to be Loch Lomond members "winter course" arf arf!

Think they have been spending a lot on the course, as its improved a lot in condition.

Maybe clubhouse next on the list.

One of the times I played I bet my partner £20 he could'nt up and down itfrom that bunker. Flopped it to top  edge of the green ,and holed  30 footer down the hill. I never learn.

I did the same as you.

The starter mentioned a new clubhouse and lodges are on the way next year.

Here's the view from said bunker...

Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 19.26.48.png

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The starter mentioned a new clubhouse and lodges are on the way next year.

Here's the view from said bunker...

Screenshot 2019-11-02 at 19.26.48.png

That’s no a bunker, that’s Armageddon’s divot. 😂