Jump to content
Victorian

Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Recommended Posts

Samuel Camazzola
39 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Disappointed that they've lost probably the best hole of the two courses - the 16th on the Lynedoch.

The short par 4 from the elevated tee? If so, think it may have been 15th. A series of holes at the higher end of the course have been left to seed and it's quite sad to see. 

 

The members were invited to take part in a survey and the response was a majority didn't play those holes. The original 16th, 17th and 18th are included within the 10 that remain. The par 3 which is about 90 yards is still there. A bit of a nonsense hole as it's just a flick with no protection at the front. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola

On another note, how embarrassing was De Chambeau yesterday? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The short par 4 from the elevated tee? If so, think it may have been 15th. A series of holes at the higher end of the course have been left to seed and it's quite sad to see. 

 

The members were invited to take part in a survey and the response was a majority didn't play those holes. The original 16th, 17th and 18th are included within the 10 that remain. The par 3 which is about 90 yards is still there. A bit of a nonsense hole as it's just a flick with no protection at the front. 

 

 

 

Aye that's the one. Great hole. Might not be for everyone but I really enjoyed it when I played the course a couple years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
Posted (edited)

Brassed off, never went this morning as forecast was ****ing rotten.

Never rained once. Walked the dog in t-shirt & shorts.

 

two weekends running I've missed for nothing. prick

 

edit

and ignored weather on Wednesday, flash flod at 3rd hole, course was flooded within 20 mins.

To get home  to the Mrs saying "Surely you wernae playing in that!"

:sadrobbo:

Edited by Tommy Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Armageddon
Posted (edited)

Woodhall Spa last week... what a tough trek!

 

7-C9420-AA-A869-45-D0-8-CFB-717-B380409-

Edited by Armageddon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Mighty Thor
20 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

On another note, how embarrassing was De Chambeau yesterday? 

He's getting it stinking at the minute. Quite right too, however he's not alone. 

Trouble is it washes its way down to the amateur game. We were 3 hours 40 for a two ball on Thursday behind a boy with the longest pre shot routine I've ever seen. He was shite into the bargain. 

I was 2 under through 7 where we caught them then finished in 81 as we stood for every single shot all the way in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

He's getting it stinking at the minute. Quite right too, however he's not alone. 

Trouble is it washes its way down to the amateur game. We were 3 hours 40 for a two ball on Thursday behind a boy with the longest pre shot routine I've ever seen. He was shite into the bargain. 

I was 2 under through 7 where we caught them then finished in 81 as we stood for every single shot all the way in. 

He was nearly 2 and a half minutes over an 8 foot putt which he slapped 4 feet past. That was after consulting the green book twice, reading the putt from every angle and also discussing it with his caddy. 

 

He's not alone but penalty shots are going to need to get applied for the nonsense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The White Cockade

Carly Booth did well in the Scottish Open finished in top 10

 

10-of-the-hottest-female-golfers-in-2015-5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown

Could have done better if she hadn't went into the drink

5925.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola

Could have finished higher but it just wasn't 'fappening' for her. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Could have finished higher but it just wasn't 'fappening' for her. 😉

 

:naughty:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yeah, looks great. Set up for all abilities too with Tiger tees for potential Pro comps. 

 

60% discounts coming for Fife residents too! 👍 

 

Aye, around £100 a round for us Fifers. Will likely play it 2021, give it some time to bed in and let them iron out the kinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Aye, around £100 a round for us Fifers. Will likely play it 2021, give it some time to bed in and let them iron out the kinks.

£80 I believe (going by the £200 per player rates that bookings are being taken for). You can sign up for their newsletter now to receive the offers and info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

£80 I believe (going by the £200 per player rates that bookings are being taken for). You can sign up for their newsletter now to receive the offers and info. 

 

I thought it was 240-260 per round?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
36 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

I thought it was 240-260 per round?

When the booking was first launched, it was £200 a skull. If it has gone up, that may have only been an introductory rate that I saw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John mcCartney

Thats what I heard also,260 sovs........fecking laughable really

It is a great setting though aint it,Largo bay.It will be a beautiful course when the suns out there
Didnt the bloke buy the land for 20 mil ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian

Ooft that looks a bit special.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

Thats what I heard also,260 sovs........fecking laughable really

It is a great setting though aint it,Largo bay.It will be a beautiful course when the suns out there
Didnt the bloke buy the land for 20 mil ?

 

They ain't targeting the average Joe with those fees, following the Kingsbarns model.

 

I think the course cost £18m to build, don't know if that's all in including the land purchase. £20m for the land seems steep?

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06

£235 per round it is.

 

£94 for us Fifers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin

£235 for a single round of golf. :rofl: 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
45 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

£235 for a single round of golf. :rofl: 

 

 

 

And folk pay it no problem.

 

£1,000 for a fourball at Kingsbarns.

 

Imagine you were booked up 7am til 5pm, 10 minute tee intervals, that's £60,000 a day on green fees :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ray Gin

More money than sense. Makes my £880 annual membership seem like a bargain. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

More money than sense. Makes my £880 annual membership seem like a bargain. :lol: 

 

Haha aye!

 

That's just one course too. Imagine the money going through the Links Trust and their 7 courses! They're all pretty much booked out daily. I should have snuck a look at the annual reports when the company I used to work for designed them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

£235 per round it is.

 

£94 for us Fifers.

There's a large group of folk who'd pay around £70 to watch a Liverpool friendly. I think I'd choose to pay £90+ for the golf on a course like that every time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John mcCartney


 

12 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

They ain't targeting the average Joe with those fees, following the Kingsbarns model.

 

I think the course cost £18m to build, don't know if that's all in including the land purchase. £20m for the land seems steep?

indeed chief....possibly 20 for the lot,2 mil purchase for land

any knowledge on the winter season there ? winter rates or maybe total shutdown?


i would at a push have a go there in largo bay and also,muirfield if it was for top wong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
Just now, John mcCartney said:


 

indeed chief....possibly 20 for the lot,2 mil purchase for land

any knowledge on the winter season there ? winter rates or maybe total shutdown?


i would at a push have a go there in largo bay and also,muirfield if it was for top wong

 

I've no idea, if they're following the Kingsbarns route they may well shut down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06

62 tonight with the CSS sitting at 69 when I left. Will lose 2.1 if it stays there and get down to 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
23 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

62 tonight with the CSS sitting at 69 when I left. Will lose 2.1 if it stays there and get down to 15.

 

Score.   Always makes the long term toil and struggle worthwhile when you finally get a cut.    Handicap motivated golfers need patience in buckets.    You'll be on cloud 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, Victorian said:

 

Score.   Always makes the long term toil and struggle worthwhile when you finally get a cut.    Handicap motivated golfers need patience in buckets.    You'll be on cloud 9.

 

Cheers man, it's been a bit of a struggle this year, playing well then having 2 or 3 horror holes and scraping buffer of 0.1. Was good to finally put it together. Got lucky at times, holed out from a bunker and nailed a few long putts. Feel like it was just rewards though!

 

Hopefully get to the target of 14 by end of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigsmak

Last night.. out in 31 (missed 2 puts I would usually have got) Back in 40. . Triple bogey 7 on the last... I hate golf

 

But I love it as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
49 minutes ago, Bigsmak said:

Last night.. out in 31 (missed 2 puts I would usually have got) Back in 40. . Triple bogey 7 on the last... I hate golf

 

But I love it as well

in for a mad spell of Opens.

Elie on saturday, Broomieknowe Tues, Harburn next Sat, Uphall, next Sun., Harburn again Wed & Ratho followin Sun.

I think that's 20 this season.

Just back from a poor effort at Shotts, started yipping my around the green shots again.

I thought I had go through that. bloody back up to 13.

 

I had a look at my scores (serious geek, excel spreadsheet :sad:) as I amy hardly hitting birdies this season.

This time last year 19 and 1x eagle (flukey pitch). this year 6  WTF

 

I genuinely thoght my game was improving, obviously not :sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Cheers man, it's been a bit of a struggle this year, playing well then having 2 or 3 horror holes and scraping buffer of 0.1. Was good to finally put it together. Got lucky at times, holed out from a bunker and nailed a few long putts. Feel like it was just rewards though!

 

Hopefully get to the target of 14 by end of the season.

 

It happens.    There is the odd medal round when a lot of putts go in and sometimes it coincides with minimal shots chucked back.    Dobbing in from a bunker is an extra bonus.     The important thing is to take advantage and finish off the score.    You got the cut.

 

There's nothing more soul destroying than draining a few putts but chucking them back elsewhere.    

 

Holing putts and getting a feeling that putts are there to be holed is a product of getting the distance control right.    Getting the pace of the greens early on and not having to hunt for the pace.     Line of putt is always secondary to distance control.

 

If only it could be bottled and stored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06

Spewing. Turns out Tuesday was declared a non-qualifier. No 2.1 cut for me.

 

:seething:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown

Just off Elie for the first visit.

Loved it, just too bloody windy.

Obviously the wind makes it hard. But my score is down to shit shots and missed putts. 88-12

 

Young lad playing with hit his driver at 8 then 12, 320-330 yards. Great to see. Then lost his balls 14 & 17 and put into the clubhouse area at 18. :lol:

 

He NR at the 1st  after 3 tee shots.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Spewing. Turns out Tuesday was declared a non-qualifier. No 2.1 cut for me.

 

:seething:

 

Oh ffs.    Savage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
36 minutes ago, Victorian said:

 

Oh ffs.    Savage.

 

Raging. Course was wet and apparently they had put preferred lies on but not everyone was aware. I'm going to see the club captain anyway to see if he'll give me it for general play. Worth asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Raging. Course was wet and apparently they had put preferred lies on but not everyone was aware. I'm going to see the club captain anyway to see if he'll give me it for general play. Worth asking.

 

I was going to suggest it was possible.    You could ask for it to be counted as a supplementary surely?    As I understand it,    a supp only has to be notified to the starter in advance.     Surely the act of signing into a medal is essentially the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
Just now, Victorian said:

 

I was going to suggest it was possible.    You could ask for it to be counted as a supplementary surely?    As I understand it,    a supp only has to be notified to the starter in advance.     Surely the act of signing into a medal is essentially the same thing.

 

Aye you'd think so. See what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
14 hours ago, Victorian said:

 

I was going to suggest it was possible.    You could ask for it to be counted as a supplementary surely?    As I understand it,    a supp only has to be notified to the starter in advance.     Surely the act of signing into a medal is essentially the same thing.

 

I've been given a 1.0 cut. Doesn't make any sense though.

 

CSS was 69 which would have been 2.1.

 

If it was a non-qualifier CSS goes out the window I'd have thought they would have worked my cut against SSS which is 67 and 1.5 cut.

 

The 0.5 makes a huge difference as my score yesterday would definitely get me down to 15 if I'd been given the 1.5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

I've been given a 1.0 cut. Doesn't make any sense though.

 

CSS was 69 which would have been 2.1.

 

If it was a non-qualifier CSS goes out the window I'd have thought they would have worked my cut against SSS which is 67 and 1.5 cut.

 

The 0.5 makes a huge difference as my score yesterday would definitely get me down to 15 if I'd been given the 1.5. 

 

It's some reward at least.   You should ask how it was determined.   You're Cat3 which would normally mean a 1.0 cut is impossible unless it was a cut to straddle the categories (not the case as you aren't near Cat2).    If sounds like an arbitrary number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

 

It's some reward at least.   You should ask how it was determined.   You're Cat3 which would normally mean a 1.0 cut is impossible unless it was a cut to straddle the categories (not the case as you aren't near Cat2).    If sounds like an arbitrary number.

 

It has been plucked out of thin air. I thought at the least they would use my score against standard scratch.

 

Would have been 17.3 to 15.5. My -2 score yesterday would put me to 14.9. Instead the 16.3 only becomes 15.7.

 

Quite frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
22 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

It has been plucked out of thin air. I thought at the least they would use my score against standard scratch.

 

Would have been 17.3 to 15.5. My -2 score yesterday would put me to 14.9. Instead the 16.3 only becomes 15.7.

 

Quite frustrating.

You could say that a 2.1 cut from 17.3 to 15.2 would have resulted in your -2 score being -1 instead.    New h/c of 14.9.    If you're 15.7 then you are 0.8 worse off than you woukd have been.    At least you got something anyway.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
21 hours ago, Victorian said:

You could say that a 2.1 cut from 17.3 to 15.2 would have resulted in your -2 score being -1 instead.    New h/c of 14.9.    If you're 15.7 then you are 0.8 worse off than you woukd have been.    At least you got something anyway.    

 

Spoke with the club captain, he had cut me in 0.2's instead of 0.3's.

 

End result, I'm off 15.2 now.

 

Happy days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Spoke with the club captain, he had cut me in 0.2's instead of 0.3's.

 

End result, I'm off 15.2 now.

 

Happy days!

 

😳   You would hope errors like that should never happen in handicapping.   I take it it's not computerised?   

 

Good end result though.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

 

😳   You would hope errors like that should never happen in handicapping.   I take it it's not computerised?   

 

Good end result though.   

 

We're not the most "up to date" club :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victorian
6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

We're not the most "up to date" club :lol:

 

😃  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

We're not the most "up to date" club :lol:

Roll a six to start method? 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Armageddon
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

 

Spoke with the club captain, he had cut me in 0.2's instead of 0.3's.

 

End result, I'm off 15.2 now.

 

Happy days!

 

Tidy!!  Well done :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...