Hearts V Rangers Scottish cup semi final match day thread

Cameronstheman

Watt-Zeefuik

I think we need Cochrane and McKay doing their work together on the left side to either keep Tavernier honest or to exploit the space he leaves behind him.

After last week, as long as he doesn't have a knock, I'd give the start to Oda over Vargas (whom I'm a fan of).

On paper a back 3 makes the most sense against them but we got absolutely run over the last time we tried that so I feel like we have to go back 4. And that means Atkinson and not Lembikisa.

I still worry about Rowles getting bullied in a back 4 though.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• redjambo

• Bazzas right boot

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Tiro said:

Don't necessarily disagree with your view, in terms of who Naismith will go with, but for me that selection does not have the physicality to match the Rangers midfield and they will not be assisted by Oda, Forrest or McKay. . Pushing Cochrane into the midfield, alongside Beni and Grant, may help. That would leave Atkinson and Kingsley as the full backs.

I imagine he's going to try to have Cochrane and Atkinson cut in from the fullbacks and instruct McKay and Oda to sag into the space on the wings a bit to help cover. That likely leaves Rowles to have to deal with Tavernier at times if Cochrane gets pulled out of position which makes me a bit nervous but I think Rowles is better at dealing with speedy and skilled players than physical ones.

Really enjoyed Naisy’s interview. Must have had the sycophantic journos in knots. 

About time we came out and said we don’t fear the old firm in fact the stats are pointing to us winning or having a chance.

Rangers are at a bit of a low it’s time to rub it in not play along and be nice. 

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Atkinson gives me the fear. A major weak link defensively. If he does play he has to put in a massively improved performance to his previous games against them.

Agreed - he gives me the fear too. He just isnt good enough. 

Gordons left glove

Unsure who we'll play RB. Don't really fancy Atkinson or limp biskit and I don't trust sibbick 😂

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Gordons left glove said:

Unsure who we'll play RB. Don't really fancy Atkinson or limp biskit and I don't trust sibbick 😂

Limp biskit?

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68848177

Similar to what a lot of us have thought or said but he has said it in a press conference. I admire SN but I hope this doesnt come back to bite him. 

It will have no bearing on the match.

Bongo 1874
8 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

Keep Rollin'!!!!

Edited by Bongo 1874

Perhaps a statement of the obvious, but I think scoring the first goal could be very important in this one. They'll not be in a good place mentally after recent results and if they go a goal down that could set things up very nicely for us. I just hope that during the first 15-20 minutes we let them know they're in a game and really exploit the nervousness that they'll be suffering from going into this one. 

48 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

I imagine he's going to try to have Cochrane and Atkinson cut in from the fullbacks and instruct McKay and Oda to sag into the space on the wings a bit to help cover. That likely leaves Rowles to have to deal with Tavernier at times if Cochrane gets pulled out of position which makes me a bit nervous but I think Rowles is better at dealing with speedy and skilled players than physical ones.

If we go with three at the back, and inverted full backs, there will be acres of space for Taverner, Macausland and Matondo to exploit. We must stop the flow down the right in particular and frustrate them. 

Daveandal
19 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Perhaps a statement of the obvious, but I think scoring the first goal could be very important in this one. They'll not be in a good place mentally after recent results and if they go a goal down that could set things up very nicely for us. I just hope that during the first 15-20 minutes we let them know they're in a game and really exploit the nervousness that they'll be suffering from going into this one. 

It's obviously alot easier said than done but an early goal from us and they could fall apart.  I suspect their support certainly couldn't handle being 1-0 down after 5 minutes.

Gordons left glove
37 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Limp biskit?

Dexter

Gordons left glove
31 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Keep Rollin'!!!!

As long as we don't roll over 🫣

Go for it 1308
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68848177

Similar to what a lot of us have thought or said but he has said it in a press conference. I admire SN but I hope this doesnt come back to bite him. 

Thanks mate. I wish he didn't say that.  Truth be told,  we should have just went about our business quietly and do all our talking on the pitch.  

Bongo 1874
3 minutes ago, Gordons left glove said:

As long as we don't roll over 🫣

Have some confidence 🙂.

pettigrewsstylist
6 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

My fear is that we don't handle the situation very well, against Rangers we have a tendency to look a bit startled.

Devlin runs about, gives the ball away, guys like Cochrane,  Kinglsey,  Grant seem to lose composure , our defenders have brain farts then our attack becomes almost invisible and our creative players turn to mince.

Against Celtic this doesn't happen as much, but v Rangers we often appear too excited /eager /nervous and we fail at the basics.

Oxford definition of bottle.

periodictabledancer
20 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Thanks mate. I wish he didn't say that.  Truth be told,  we should have just went about our business quietly and do all our talking on the pitch.  

Not really seeing anything that Clement can use. There's a lack of context because there's no understanding of what Naismith was actually asked. If Clement wants to fire up his  troops he can show them the Sky end of game credits where all the fans are screaming "gtf!!" . 😄

feedthefox
1 hour ago, Gordons left glove said:

Actually on bigger pitch I’m ok with Atkinson. 

feedthefox

Oh and by the way we’ve not had a better chance of beating Huns at Hampden for many a year. 

Butterbean1874
17 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Oh and by the way we’ve not had a better chance of beating Huns at Hampden for many a year. 

Heard this before especially when we played them in the cup final a couple seasons ago they had just played 120 mins in a european final & we know what happened 

Chuck Berry

"Heart of Midlothian will be without the services of Calem Nieuwenhof for "a bit longer" after having his hamstring re-scanned."

"There is no timeline at the moment," Naismith admitted. "That's probably the one negative."

Well that's him done for the season.

Uncle Buck

I’ve watched their last three games and they are absolutely hopeless. Tavernier can’t defend but we’ve known this for a long time. Goldson looks like an old man, he seems to be struggling. And a lot of them don’t seem to have the desire. Lundstram was jogging back a lot not putting in tackles.

I’ve got a good feeling about this one. We’re playing well and going in to it with confidence.

Gordon

Atkinson Kent Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin Beni

Oda Grant McKay

Shankland  

2-1 to Hearts. I think McKay will have a say.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Butterbean1874 said:

Heard this before especially when we played them in the cup final a couple seasons ago they had just played 120 mins in a european final & we know what happened 

We sat back for two hours though, if we do the same we will get beat again. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Oxford definition of bottle.

Not really as it's more just v them.

If it was bottle it would be v every team in the later stages, and it's not.

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Gordons left glove said:

Dexter

Spelling error or a stupid name you made up for him?

Watt-Zeefuik
6 hours ago, feedthefox said:

Actually on bigger pitch I’m ok with Atkinson. 

Yeah to me Atkinson is the obvious choice for tomorrow. Unless we're playing a flat 4-4-2 and Dex is on the wing.

19 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Lembikisa sounds vaguely like Limp Bizkit. But no one should slur our own players by associating them with absolute shit bands like that.

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Yeah to me Atkinson is the obvious choice for tomorrow. Unless we're playing a flat 4-4-2 and Dex is on the wing.

Lembikisa sounds vaguely like Limp Bizkit. But no one should slur our own players by associating them with absolute shit bands like that.

Been On tbe forum 4 weeks and making up nicknames to slag our own players.

:vrface:

HMFC 86
6 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

"Heart of Midlothian will be without the services of Calem Nieuwenhof for "a bit longer" after having his hamstring re-scanned."

"There is no timeline at the moment," Naismith admitted. "That's probably the one negative."

Well that's him done for the season.

Sounds like that, depressing after he was becoming a key player, just hope it’s not one that carries into next season

Hearts1975
8 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Agree with this. Think someone else said there wasn't really any context, determining what question was put to Naismith, and that's probably fair.

BUT .... would just rather we stay out of the paper talk and focus on winning the game 

I’d have Oda as a sub. Has been a cracking impact sub in a few games this year 

johnking123

Let Vargas run a them for a bit. Bring Oda on later . Especially if game is still even. 

Gordons left glove
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Lets calm down just a joke 😂

Gordons left glove
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Been On tbe forum 4 weeks and making up nicknames to slag our own players.

:vrface:

Not slagging him I like the guy

I think we'll go back three. FWIW, we had a back three in both wins over Celtic this season.

Natty ahead of Dexter for me, Beni and Cammy in the engine room, Shankland and Vargas up top.

Grant or McKay for the attacking mid role is a tough call. 

GinRummy
17 minutes ago, Pingu said:

I think we'll go back three. FWIW, we had a back three in both wins over Celtic this season.

Natty ahead of Dexter for me, Beni and Cammy in the engine room, Shankland and Vargas up top.

Grant or McKay for the attacking mid role is a tough call. 

I agree a three is likely. Grant gets the nod for me. It’ll be along the lines of-

Gordon

Kingsley

Kent

Rowles

Atkinson

Devlin

Beni

Grant

Cochrane

Shankland

Vargas 

If naisy has watched anything of rangers recently he will have us bang up for this on the front foot amd pressing them hard amd fast as they can't cope and panick. Get in a out them and score early and their fans will get on their back. 

There for the taking this weekend and we better not go out in a whimper like we usually do. 

Jambomuzz

Where is everyone going for a pre match refreshment? Had heard the record factory mentioned 

I'm surprised that we're not predicting the time of the inevitable penalty for rangers.

My guess is around the 70minute mark which will bring them back into the game at either 2 or 3 - 1 to us. 

Gordons left glove
10 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

2-1 Heart Of Midlothian, Shankland and Vargas

It is Kenny's favourite competition after all

EH11 2NL

Really don't know who I'd play at RB. No danger do I want Dexter in there after some of his recent performances, for me he looks like your standard loanee with one eye on the exit door. 

Atkinson or Sibbick, Sibbick obviously well known for his calamitous moments but outside of these he's usually strong enough defensively, but carries a huge risk, and after the derby in October I never wanted to see him again. Atkinson seems to always take the ball into the midfield and lose it especially against the OF's better midfielders. Sure we have conceded goals against Celtic and Rangers from almost the identical play with him doing that. So really, **** knows. Kingsley can play there but it's wasting one of our best players out of his natural position. 

All guns blazing with Forrest at RWB might be the best way, if the other options all carry their own risks anyway. 

GinRummy
2 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Really don't know who I'd play at RB. No danger do I want Dexter in there after some of his recent performances, for me he looks like your standard loanee with one eye on the exit door. 

Atkinson or Sibbick, Sibbick obviously well known for his calamitous moments but outside of these he's usually strong enough defensively, but carries a huge risk, and after the derby in October I never wanted to see him again. Atkinson seems to always take the ball into the midfield and lose it especially against the OF's better midfielders. Sure we have conceded goals against Celtic and Rangers from almost the identical play with him doing that. So really, **** knows. Kingsley can play there but it's wasting one of our best players out of his natural position. 

All guns blazing with Forrest at RWB might be the best way, if the other options all carry their own risks anyway. 

Forrest been tried at RWB a few times and was pish. I agree with your post though, plenty options for RB/RWB and none of them good. 

15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Forrest been tried at RWB a few times and was pish. I agree with your post though, plenty options for RB/RWB and none of them good. 

Yep, think we need to go with Atkinson. If he can bring it together he is the best option. SN has got the best out of him previously so we need to hope it clicks on Sunday. 

Bazzas right boot

Lets calm down just a joke 😂

Limp bizkit- hilarious joke.

Not slagging him I like the guy

Aye, clearly!:rofl:

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, Archie White said:

Don't kick the bear Naisy.

He's just tickling the Teddy.

11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Someone mentioned Kingsley at RB which would be a solid option defensively. Also, when Attacking, he could cut in and shoot on his left foot.

But then, if we're playing 3 at the back, you'd have him at centre back.

ShedBoy
4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Quite clearly a joke.

You know,

Like Motherwells hilarious tweet

Muppetboy
46 minutes ago, Archie White said:

Don't kick the bear Naisy.

Damage done, guaranteed that's on their dressing room wall

14 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Clement won’t give a **** what we say his dressing room is falling apart. 

“Lads, you’ve utterly bottled the league from a brilliant position but have a look at what this wee guy said about you”

Somehow I think he's more likely to use the words of the opposition manager to help motivate his players for a cup semi-final than he is to focus on them bottling the league.