Hearts V Rangers Scottish cup semi final match day thread

Cameronstheman

Pans Jambo

Taking my lad for his first game at Hampden. It would be a great time to beat this lot for the first time in our history at Hampden and for him to be able to say he was with his auld man when we finally did.

Intae them Hearts!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• redjambo

• Bazzas right boot

HopeDiouf
10 hours ago, Graham Thomson said:

2 natural right backs and you would play Kingsley in that position? I think you have to choose either Kingsley or Cochrane on the left.

14 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

Can't be playing Kingsley at right back. 

Tbf, the other RB options ain't great, so it is worth considering.

Thomaso
On 13/04/2024 at 22:41, The Old Tolbooth said:

The sheep losing next week is the biggest result we can hope for, it shapes our whole next season! 

Even if the beat Celtic they would still need to beat the other arse cheek

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Taking my lad for his first game at Hampden. It would be a great time to beat this lot for the first time in our history at Hampden and for him to be able to say he was with his auld man when we finally did.

Intae them Hearts!

Me too, same boat as you but mines 33!!

14 hours ago, Gambo said:

Beni AND Devlin plays straight into Rangers hands imo.

We’ve only lost four of all the games those two have started together. 

I think they are a very complimentary pairing. Each gives the other the confidence to be a bit more adventurous. 

Even more importantly, when they were playing regularly together in 21/22, they were collectively worth 9 turnovers a game. 

We need to hold our own in the midfield battle. Our success against the old firm has relied on getting in their faces and countering clinically. Cam and Beni (Camingame?) let us do that and give the four in front confidence to press the defence and launch forward on the break. 

This what we need IMO. 

Edited by CMc

11 hours ago, Graham Thomson said:

2 natural right backs and you would play Kingsley in that position? I think you have to choose either Kingsley or Cochrane on the left.

Agree. Playing on the right side of a back 3 is entirely different to RB. 

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Even if the beat Celtic they would still need to beat the other arse cheek

Loving your optimism 😁

TexasAndy
On 14/04/2024 at 10:13, pettigrewsstylist said:

Bizzare as it sounds Tagawas pace on that size pitch could actually be a key weapon.

Sounds crazy but we need to do something different to beat that lot.

I have had this feeling for a while that Tagawa is going to score a big goal for us this season.  

Luckies1874

Surely this is the chance to go to Hampden and be brave and really challenge them. They looked leggy yesterday and they have to play on Wednesday too. We need to go toe to toe, not sit back and await the inevitable defeat. We have to go there with the mindset to score goals, attack them and get at their backline which is under pressure and wobbling. 

Butterbean1874

Watched there game yesterday there defence leaves spaces in behind we need to capitalise on that get them turned quickly this could be Tagawas time with Shankland withdrawn a wee bit 

gar jambo
On 13/04/2024 at 23:03, ToadKiller Dog said:

I wouldnt mind us thumping the sheep in the final .

Hand on heart big ask to beat Celtic 3 times in one season 

Ex member of the SaS

Ross co showed how to beat them and it's been said for years, get stuck in, get in their faces and pressure their defense. Move the ball quickly and leave wee Devlin or Vargas up at set pieces.

wavydavy
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ross co showed how to beat them and it's been said for years, get stuck in, get in their faces and pressure their defense. Move the ball quickly and leave wee Devlin or Vargas up at set pieces.

Also make use of the bench to maximise the pressure on them.

John Findlay

Respect them as an opponent, yes.

Fear them as an opponent, no.

To this Hearts squad make history for yourselves by becoming the first Hearts team/squad to beat this opponent at Hampden.

PortyBeach
On 13/04/2024 at 22:37, EH11 2NL said:

Beating Celtic in the final, after beating Rangers in the semi, would be the ultimate cup win. 

Absolutely 👏

PortyBeach
6 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Respect them as an opponent, yes.

Fear them as an opponent, no.

To this Hearts squad make history for yourselves by becoming the first Hearts team/squad to beat this opponent at Hampden.

Great advice for the team. Let’s hope Naismith says the same and that the players respond appropriately.

And if we go on to win the trophy, what a season finale that would make!!
C’mon the Hearts ♥️ 

Pasquale for King
On 15/04/2024 at 10:17, CMc said:

I think they are a very complimentary pairing. Each gives the other the confidence to be a bit more adventurous. 

Even more importantly, when they were playing regularly together in 21/22, they were collectively worth 9 turnovers a game. 

We need to hold our own in the midfield battle. Our success against the old firm has relied on getting in their faces and countering clinically. Cam and Beni (Camingame?) let us do that and give the four in front confidence to press the defence and launch forward on the break. 

This what we need IMO. 

Spot on

Pasquale for King
On 15/04/2024 at 18:28, Butterbean1874 said:

Watched there game yesterday there defence leaves spaces in behind we need to capitalise on that get them turned quickly this could be Tagawas time with Shankland withdrawn a wee bit 

More likely to be Vargas but that’s definitely the way to go. 

Bazzas right boot

Got a decent chance I reckon.

I still think we need to keep it tight at the start and grow into the game.

We can't press too aggressively,  it's Hampden we'd be knackered at ht and imo a high defensive line would be a gift to them.

We need to drop deep and counter with pace, entice them to play a high line. Imo we need to go more direct here, Rangers press high.

Key is keeping the ball when we have it and not spilling it too easy and not making daft mistakes.

Do that and we will get a few chances.

Go gung-ho,  leave them space in behind and gift them the ball in midfield and it could go sideways quickly. 

gnasher75
On 14/04/2024 at 14:18, mellors1874 said:

If we turn up next Sunday and play 5 at the back against Rangers we will get hammered.

Teams who press their back 4 are scoring goals against them as they panic.

4-3-3 next week and beat them with pace in the wide areas.

Cmon Hearts you can do this.

On 15/04/2024 at 10:17, CMc said:

This what we need IMO. 

I agree that a 433/4231 gives us the chance to press Rangers and I would love to see Cammy and Beni getting to play together again.

Some tough choices eg Gordon or Clark, Rowles or Kingsley, Kingsley or Cochrane, McKay or Forrest. But they will probably all get part of the game and Oda too. I would start like this but I expect Naismith will play Rowles.

Gordon 

Atkinson Kent Kingsley Cochrane 

Devlin Beni

Vargas Grant McKay

Shankland 

boag1874
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Got a decent chance I reckon.

I still think we need to keep it tight at the start and grow into the game.

We can't press too aggressively,  it's Hampden we'd be knackered at ht and imo a high defensive line would be a gift to them.

We need to drop deep and counter with pace, entice them to play a high line. Imo we need to go more direct here, Rangers press high.

Key is keeping the ball when we have it and not spilling it too easy and not making daft mistakes.

Do that and we will get a few chances.

Go gung-ho,  leave them space in behind and gift them the ball in midfield and it could go sideways quickly. 

This is how I see it - we don't want to stand off them totally but we do need to be cautious and not gift them any space in behind. Don't let them spray it about in midfield, turn that area of the park into a battle, and when we get the ball back we need to get it behind their backline and force them to run towards goal.

Whatever combination of Vargas/Oda/Forrest/McKay plays they have to stay pushed up, give their fullbacks something to think about and be ready for a long ball in behind to run onto. If we have 2 fast players holding a high & wide position it'll make them think, especially if we can get a few successful passes through to them. Too often we get the ball back v Rangers and try to play intricate passing moves to advance through their midfield, or our wingers will drop too deep and allow Tavernier/Barasic to push up, this happened too often in the November semi final. 

waterboy11

Attacking the channel around Tavernier and Goldson will be vital. That's where most of the goals recently conceded is coming from. Tavernier cannot defend, pressure him and he's got a mistake in him. Goldson doesn't like being dragged away from the centre to cover for Tavernier - so pace and harassing there will cause issues. 

43 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

I agree that a 433/4231 gives us the chance to press Rangers and I would love to see Cammy and Beni getting to play together again.

Some tough choices eg Gordon or Clark, Rowles or Kingsley, Kingsley or Cochrane, McKay or Forrest. But they will probably all get part of the game and Oda too. I would start like this but I expect Naismith will play Rowles.

Gordon 

Atkinson Kent Kingsley Cochrane 

Devlin Beni

Vargas Grant McKay

Shankland 

Personally I dont rate McKay, and wouldn't have him anywhere near the team. Apart from that and maybe Atkinson, Id like to see that team

Jim Panzee
22 minutes ago, Negan said:

Personally I dont rate McKay, and wouldn't have him anywhere near the team. Apart from that and maybe Atkinson, Id like to see that team

yeah.

I mean who needs defence splitting passes.....

davemclaren
19 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

yeah.

Quite. 😄

PapaShango
37 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

yeah.

I like McKay but he doesn't tend to play well vs them. Got to happen for him at some point though, would love to see him run the show on Sunday. 

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I like McKay but he doesn't tend to play well vs them. Got to happen for him at some point though, would love to see him run the show on Sunday. 

He needs to graft against them like everyone else. On his game he’s brilliant, but I personally wouldn’t start him against Rangers. We need to be up for the fight early and get in about them.

Madjambo21

We need to be strong in defence. 

Dessers is hit and miss infront of goal but he is strong and quick which our defence has struggled with.

Hopefully this is the game where we break our duck at Hampden against them.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, waterboy11 said:

Attacking the channel around Tavernier and Goldson will be vital. That's where most of the goals recently conceded is coming from. Tavernier cannot defend, pressure him and he's got a mistake in him. Goldson doesn't like being dragged away from the centre to cover for Tavernier - so pace and harassing there will cause issues. 

Definitely, Vargas has to exploit that space in behind those two. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I hope we wear white. Summon the spirit of 98.

I was thinking that yesterday, probably all maroon.

Bob Loblaw
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I was thinking that yesterday, probably all maroon.

Yeah most likely, but a wee bit superstition never hurt anyone. 

Edited by Bob Loblaw

briever
1 hour ago, Negan said:

McKay never shows up in big games - at best he should be on the bench.

JimmyCant
2 hours ago, Negan said:

He had a really good game against Livvy. I’d start him and use options from the bench at half time if it’s not happening for him. His area is where Rangers are weakest so we need someone wide left. Either him or Forrest have to start.

BigAlim

We often get outnumbered by rangers in the middle third so I think we need our more combative attacking players on the park, Oda and Forrest will give the necessary defensive work rate imo

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
On 13/04/2024 at 23:03, ToadKiller Dog said:

I wouldnt mind us thumping the sheep in the final .

After the disappointment of the 1986 final, I'd love that.

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He had a really good game against Livvy. I’d start him and use options from the bench at half time if it’s not happening for him. His area is where Rangers are weakest so we need someone wide left. Either him or Forrest have to start.

Forrest ffs 🤦🏽, they are weak behind the two right sided defenders. We need someone to get the ball passed in behind them and someone to run on to it and do something with it. Forrest does not do any of that, if we need someone to run about in front of their defence and achieve absolutely nothing hes the man. 
Whether McKay can be trusted to actually turn up against a big team is another question. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Yeah most likely, but a wee bit superstition never hurt anyone. 

All white suits me

Pasquale for King

Gordon

Cochrane

Kingsley

Kent

Atkinson

Grant

Beni

Devlin 

Vargas

Shankland

Oda

Quick passes in behind their defence for the two wide guys to run onto. 

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

The problem with that JC is we could be out of the game by then if he plays poorly, or they target/hit him early on, then our right flank could be badly exposed.  I would rather we brought him on later in the game.

Was it the Rangers cup final game he got whacked deliberately and limped off early?  Just think he shrinks a bit when it gets tough.  Forrest in the other hand never seems to bother and can be a real handful.  I would go with him from the start and think that is why he never started against Livy, being kept fresher for Sunday.

Victor Meldrew
1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I hope we wear white. Summon the spirit of 98.

I was about to post exactly the same thing.

Luckies1874

Be surprised if McKay doesn’t start. I think Naismith played him last week to get him ready. 

joondalupjambo
On 15/04/2024 at 11:58, Luckies1874 said:

Surely this is the chance to go to Hampden and be brave and really challenge them. They looked leggy yesterday and they have to play on Wednesday too. We need to go toe to toe, not sit back and await the inevitable defeat. We have to go there with the mindset to score goals, attack them and get at their backline which is under pressure and wobbling. 

And the good thing is it is costing them money, and when pump them out of the Cup on Sunday that will hurt the bank account even more.

Oda be a JT
2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Be surprised if McKay doesn’t start. I think Naismith played him last week to get him ready. 

My thoughts also, granted he needs to turn up but if the player we know he is does he can be the difference for me

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, Oda be a JT said:

My thoughts also, granted he needs to turn up but if the player we know he is does he can be the difference for me

The sample size of him not turning up is small to say the least. He’s had plenty good moments in big matches too. I don’t think we can afford to leave him out given his ability in comparison to other options. 

Oda be a JT
2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

The sample size of him not turning up is small to say the least. He’s had plenty good moments in big matches too. I don’t think we can afford to leave him out given his ability in comparison to other options. 

I would have him starting 100%, although I can see the argument for bringing him on around 60mins when they are tiring but it could be too late - hence why I’d start him.