Hearts V Rangers Scottish cup semi final match day thread

Cameronstheman

pettigrewsstylist
On 16/04/2024 at 10:07, Ex member of the SaS said:

Ross co showed how to beat them and it's been said for years, get stuck in, get in their faces and pressure their defense. Move the ball quickly and leave wee Devlin or Vargas up at set pieces.

Dhanda steaming through their centre, without fear, repeatedley, was a joy to watch.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• redjambo

• Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Dhanda steaming through their centre, without fear, repeatedley, was a joy to watch.

Hopefully inspired Barrie McKay to do the same.

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, boag1874 said:

This is how I see it - we don't want to stand off them totally but we do need to be cautious and not gift them any space in behind. Don't let them spray it about in midfield, turn that area of the park into a battle, and when we get the ball back we need to get it behind their backline and force them to run towards goal.

Whatever combination of Vargas/Oda/Forrest/McKay plays they have to stay pushed up, give their fullbacks something to think about and be ready for a long ball in behind to run onto. If we have 2 fast players holding a high & wide position it'll make them think, especially if we can get a few successful passes through to them. Too often we get the ball back v Rangers and try to play intricate passing moves to advance through their midfield, or our wingers will drop too deep and allow Tavernier/Barasic to push up, this happened too often in the November semi final. 

We need to be so much quicker in our turnover transitions and turn them quick to stand a chance. Taking an age to work it wide or refusing to play long, ever, will be a mistake.

We probably need 4 DM performances due to starting 2 getting yellows.

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

The problem with that JC is we could be out of the game by then if he plays poorly, or they target/hit him early on, then our right flank could be badly exposed.  I would rather we brought him on later in the game.

Was it the Rangers cup final game he got whacked deliberately and limped off early?  Just think he shrinks a bit when it gets tough.  Forrest in the other hand never seems to bother and can be a real handful.  I would go with him from the start and think that is why he never started against Livy, being kept fresher for Sunday.

I thought Forrest was dropped because hes been awful for weeks, but you could be right. 
Could you give us some examples of him being a handful to bigger teams as I’m genuinely struggling to think of any. 

Daveandal

McKay and Grant both playing in the "10" role behind Shankland is possible but would require alot of intelligence from all 3 to find gaps and stretch Rangers. They aren't the most mobile at the back.

Gundermann
20 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

What's the latest on Hoff or Beni btw?

soonbe110
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I thought Forrest was dropped because hes been awful for weeks, but you could be right. 
Could you give us some examples of him being a handful to bigger teams as I’m genuinely struggling to think of any. 

Parkhead earlier this season he was outstanding. 

Really want to see no unforced errors with the team selection. IMO its stupid to go up against a better team with less men in midfield. Its why I struggled understanding the purpose of a 343. 2 CMs against the Weegie teams is just naive. If we could get Beni, Devlin and maybe Grant in there, I think thats as solid a midfield as we could hope for. 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Forrest ffs 🤦🏽, they are weak behind the two right sided defenders. We need someone to get the ball passed in behind them and someone to run on to it and do something with it. Forrest does not do any of that, if we need someone to run about in front of their defence and achieve absolutely nothing hes the man. 
Whether McKay can be trusted to actually turn up against a big team is another question. 

Forrest ran Johnston and Carter-Vickers ragged at Parkhead to such an extent that Johnston, best rb in Scotland imo, was hooked at ht. That’s exactly what someone needs to do to Tavernier and Goldson on Sunday. Firstly they are weak defensively so it should create chances and secondly it keeps Tavernier away from our penalty area. 

highlandjambo3

On a *MASSIVE tactical note……can we please take throw ins quickly and throw the ball forward…..that would be a huge change in our attacking prowess 😁

* What the fek do I know lol

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Really want to see no unforced errors with the team selection. IMO it’s stupid to go up against a better team with less men in midfield. It’s grwwhy I struggled understanding the purpose of a 343. 2 CMs against the Weegie teams is just naive. If we could get Beni, Devlin and maybe Grant in there, I think thats as solid a midfield as we could hope for. 

Agreed . Some ambitious takes from our supports. They still have very good players which tends to come to the fore on big pitches and in big games 

id be going 4-5-1 to start with, with Sibbick at right back offering a it more defensive presence.  Then look to introduce pace and energy as the game progresses 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

On a *MASSIVE tactical note……can we please take throw ins quickly and throw the ball forward…..that would be a huge change in our attacking prowess 😁

⬆️ this 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

McKay and Grant both playing in the "10" role behind Shankland is possible but would require alot of intelligence from all 3 to find gaps and stretch Rangers. They aren't the most mobile at the back.

None of those three will attack their weaknesses though, which is the space they leave in behind. 

It will all depend on how we approach the game. Start like we did against Livingston then we're humped. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It will all depend on how we approach the game. Start like we do most games then we're humped. 

FTFY

Luckies1874
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Agreed . Some ambitious takes from our supports. They still have very good players which tends to come to the fore on big pitches and in big games 

id be going 4-5-1 to start with, with Sibbick at right back offering a it more defensive presence.  Then look to introduce pace and energy as the game progresses 

This will get massively criticised if we go there and fail to lay a glove on them again. It’s a pragmatic but negative approach which has failed numerous times before. I understand the thinking behind it but we need to be better than that to win. Sit back and wait for the inevitable or show some bravery and ambition…….

pettigrewsstylist
30 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Me aswell but the 5 have to offer something dynamic and agressive across whole width of the pitch when opportunity presents. 5 passes when 2 will do will have us impotent. Get them on back foot and facing their goal.

Looking for us to compete and win the midfield battle, I don't see us having the pace to really get in their faces with a high press , so for me that is unlikely.
What I know is we have a good defence if protected by the midfield, in Shanklands we have our talisman and who can create a goal out of nothing. We have  shown absolutely no signs we are capable of beating them in the last couple of games against them , and that is my biggest concern, how does SN get this team to perform with the right tactics
I am not sure where the Tagawa posts have come from , he has shown nothing , so to think all of a sudden his pace will be effective ??? 

My Heart says a win , my head says ……….. 

On a side note, I have a feeling for some unknown unquantifiable reason that the sheep are going to win !!! 

KyleLafferty

Gordon

Kingsley Kent Rowles

Natty Beni Cammy Cochrane

Shankland

Vargas Oda 

If you play pace against rangers you have a better chance as county proved. Get shanks dropping deeper, Harry Kane-esq and get two road runners in behind 

hmfc_liam06

Gordon

Atkinson

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Beni

Devlin

Grant or Hoff

McKay

Vargas

Shankland

Philfigo
9 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Gordon

Kingsley Kent Rowles

Natty Beni Cammy Cochrane

Shankland

Vargas Oda 

If you play pace against rangers you have a better chance as county proved. Get shanks dropping deeper, Harry Kane-esq and get two road runners in behind 

I like this! A wee bit harsh on Grant as he has done well recently but If Vargas and Oda press high the Rangers right and left backs and Shankland floats blocking any Rangers escape from our high press. Only issue is if they do break the press Natty and Cochrane are left really vulnerable as we are is poor as Rangers in defending at left and right back areas. One thing is for sure if we sit in we will get Smashed, best way to defend is to attack this Rangers team. 

Cameronstheman

Just remember they battered us from the off in the last game, lets hope lesson learned

Lets  just go out there and perform and who knows, well IMO we can do it 

Bazzas right boot

Gogs

Aki Kent Kingsley Cochrane 

Beni Hoff/ cammy

Dexter    Grant     forrest

Shanks

A Conservative set up initially. 

Bring on Vargas later,  I think he's more effective from the bench.

We'd also have Mckay and oda to bring on.

1st half is all about harrasing them, not giving them time and keeping the ball when we get it.

All going well, when they are getting restless and a bit desperate,  Vargas  comes on.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, jamborich said:

They should be worried about us nothing to fear here 

Why, they’ve out scored us 11-2 in 4 games this season, hopefully they take us lightly and we get our tactics right for once against them. 
We might not ever get a better chance. 

luckyBatistuta

Hopefully their players have the same attitude towards this game that their fans now have

IMG_7470.jpeg

luckyBatistuta

You better believe we will, don’t go walking away now 😁

IMG_7471.jpeg

Wee Mikey
9 hours ago, Negan said:

Personally I dont rate McKay, and wouldn't have him anywhere near the team. Apart from that and maybe Atkinson, Id like to see that team

Remember this?

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Sibbick? The kid is an accident waiting to happen. Deer in the headlights.

I’d start Lembikisa if you’re looking for a big body to intimidate. As long as Kingsley is starting I’ll be happy. Naismith will have us set up right. It’s up to the players to then perform their duty.

Every player has to want this more than their overpaid huddies. Quietly confident.

Domestically, since we lost to Rangers 5-0 they've played 7 matches, won 3 (Killie, Hibs and Hibs in the cup) drawn 2 (Celtic and Dundee) and lost 2 (Ross County and Motherwell).  They've scored 13 and conceded 10.

We have played 7, won 4 (Celtic, Morton, St Mirren and Livi), drawn 2 (Hibs and Killie) and lost 1 (Ross County).  We've scored 12 and let in 7.

If we play well, and they are off their game even a little bit, we will win.

Edited by Sydney

gregzy2k7

I think we need to be wary here,

Every time I get lured in to thinking hearts have a chance in a big match, I get sucker punched.

Having said that,

It really does appear that the opportunity to get a victory or some sort of result against them at Hampden is presenting itself to us here, Now whether we can take advantage of that or not is very much up for debate though,

We need a complete performance here in order for that to become a reality,

Every player needs to be at 100% capacity and playing their best football, No passengers team, We need concentration for 90+ minutes, No giving away silly fouls, giving the ref an out to hand them a penalty etc, we also need a bit of luck at times and for Rangers to not be at their best,

It's a big ask, but we Can do it imo.

jamborich
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Why, they’ve out scored us 11-2 in 4 games this season, hopefully they take us lightly and we get our tactics right for once against them. 
We might not ever get a better chance. 

Totally get your point but the pressure is now on them their fans are getting restless we have to take advantage and pile the pressure on I’m a lot more confident now than I was 3 weeks ago. Just hoping we don’t bottle again 

boag1874
11 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We need to be so much quicker in our turnover transitions and turn them quick to stand a chance. Taking an age to work it wide or refusing to play long, ever, will be a mistake.

We probably need 4 DM performances due to starting 2 getting yellows.

That’s what killed us last semi - we had chances to run at them wide but either our wing backs weren’t making the overlap or the player in possession wasn’t playing the ball quick enough

Aussie Jambo

Is it me or is anyone else’s mates who support Sevco saying we will win 2-0/3-0 on Sunday? Can’t say I’ve ever heard any of them saying that ever. 🤔

Edited by Aussie Jambo
Typo

pettigrewsstylist

Perfect time to play this, de ja vu.

They are hurting and will try and do us early as we seem susceptible to a strong press.

Subs are going to be a massive factor for us on Sunday, if we havn't folded.

Muppetboy

Always say the same things every time before playing this lot, genuinely have no idea what to expect just as long as it's not a hiding. 

Debut 4
1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

That’s what killed us last semi - we had chances to run at them wide but either our wing backs weren’t making the overlap or the player in possession wasn’t playing the ball quick enough

Aye.  It’s really all about courage. I keep saying it but it’s what I believe. 

If we are hesitant, cautious and worried about conceding space behind, we slowly play into their hands and their confidence grows. 

It was the same in the 2022 Final. We should’ve started Ginnelly who was on very good form and is a player who chased defenders down and tested them.  Instead we started McKay.

Sunday is about getting as many of what Naismith deems our strongest characters into the starting line up.  (Obviously with balance and logic to the preferred formation)

joondalupjambo
12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

The two games against Celtic.  The ones we won both 2-0.  Also through in at least one Derby game, one of them at Easter Road where he ran himself into the ground.  I know Hibs are not a big team but it was an away Derby so a big match. 

I guess Sundays line up with depend on how bold Naismith wants to be and after last night's draw for The Rangers maybe McKay might be getting the nod now.  The Rangers might possibly a bit more vulnerable si skill and guile over effort and graft may be the way. 

Our line up will be interesting to see.

Mister T
12 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Don't put yourself down. I've been saying that for the last 35 years. We're criminal at throw ins.

Edited by Mister T

Romulus

Even though a back 5 has been good for us this season, I would be inclined to go with a back 4 in this one and play wingers. This would be in the hope that we can keep their full backs held in and try and get at them with a bit of pace.

Would be keen to see Oda start in this.

18 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Perfect time to play this, de ja vu.

They are hurting and will try and do us early as we seem susceptible to a strong press.

Subs are going to be a massive factor for us on Sunday, if we havn't folded.

Yup, we have all been there before* ,  bought the T-shirt , burnt the T-shirt etc.

The last Scottish cup final and league cup semi were an absolute embarrassment 

* exception being 1998

7 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Remember this?

One goal does not make a player decent. 

Gordons left glove
1 hour ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Is it me or is anyone else’s mates who support Sevco saying we will win 2-0/3-0 on Sunday? Can’t say I’ve ever heard any of them saying that ever. 🤔

Almost all my pals support them and are usually arrogant ***** whenever its time to play us but they're now saying we'll pump them which is a good sign.

tiger Rudi
13 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

The sample size of him not turning up is small to say the least. He’s had plenty good moments in big matches too. I don’t think we can afford to leave him out given his ability in comparison to other options. 

I don't think McKay turning up is the problem. If we get completely overwhelmed in midfield then McKay won't get in the game due to our lack of quality possession. 

If we can get a grip of the game in midfield and show a bit of composure on the ball then we have a chance. McKay, Cochrane and Grant linked really well down our left side against Livi. Add Shankland to that as well. 

Tempted to say that Shanks should play in a slightly more withdrawn role nearer Grant. They play well together. 

Vargas or possibly even Tagawa up front thru the middle. Could this be Tagawa's chance to start and shine? Vargas the impact sub later on?

We MUST play it thru the channels and over the top early if we get the chance. McKay will be crucial for that. I expect Rangers to come at us following their recent run of form, leaving space in behind. 

If we can get in front, their fans will go tonto, their confidence will crumble. 

Luckies1874

Why do people think Rowles won’t be playing? Can’t see that happening at all. Key player for Naismith.