• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• redjambo

• Bazzas right boot

Harry Potter
30 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

I don't think McKay turning up is the problem. If we get completely overwhelmed in midfield then McKay won't get in the game due to our lack of quality possession. 

If we can get a grip of the game in midfield and show a bit of composure on the ball then we have a chance. McKay, Cochrane and Grant linked really well down our left side against Livi. Add Shankland to that as well. 

Tempted to say that Shanks should play in a slightly more withdrawn role nearer Grant. They play well together. 

Vargas or possibly even Tagawa up front thru the middle. Could this be Tagawa's chance to start and shine? Vargas the impact sub later on?

We MUST play it thru the channels and over the top early if we get the chance. McKay will be crucial for that. I expect Rangers to come at us following their recent run of form, leaving space in behind. 

If we can get in front, their fans will go tonto, their confidence will crumble. 

tonto😅, we have a very good chance, take it, no faffing at the start please.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'd go:-

Gordon - Atkinson, Kent, Rowles, Kingsley - Lembikisa, Baningime, Devlin, Cochrane - Shankland - Vargas

Push Dexter and Cochrane right up on to Tavernier and whomever plays LB with a solid back four. Shankland plating deeper will give them an issue in how they pick him up and it gives Vargas the opportunity to get in behind them.

kingantti1874
32 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Gordon

Natty Kent Kingsley Cochrane

Beni Devlin

Oda Grant Forrest

Shankland

if starting with a 4 I’d start (but not finish) sibbick at right back for this. He has the pace and can cover a lot of ground and I think he’s decent out there.  NOT at CB though. 

I do think we will go with the 3 though

Edited by kingantti1874

Diadora Van Basten
32 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Why do people think Rowles won’t be playing? Can’t see that happening at all. Key player for Naismith. 

I think Rowles and Atkinson were honking in the last match at Ibrox so wouldn’t play them in the Semi.

We_are_the_Hearts
22 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Gordon - Atkinson, Kent, Rowles, Kingsley - Lembikisa, Baningime, Devlin, Cochrane - Shankland - Vargas

Push Dexter and Cochrane right up on to Tavernier and whomever plays LB with a solid back four. Shankland plating deeper will give them an issue in how they pick him up and it gives Vargas the opportunity to get in behind them.

I think that will be the starting line up apart from Grant will play instead of Dexter and we will play 3-5-2

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

if starting with a 4 I’d start (but not finish) sibbick at right back for this. He has the pace and can cover a lot of ground and I think he’s decent out there.  NOT at CB though. 

I do think we will go with the 3 though

Have come to detest the idea of a 3 vs them. We are no better at defending vs them with a 3 + we desperately struggle to get up the park. 

Might as well chuck another attacker in there and hope for the best. If playing with proper wingers I’d always have Oda in the team. His ability to run with the ball will be useful on the hampden pitch. 

Jim_Duncan
2 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Have come to detest the idea of a 3 vs them. We are no better at defending vs them with a 3 + we desperately struggle to get up the park. 

Might as well chuck another attacker in there and hope for the best. If playing with proper wingers I’d always have Oda in the team. His ability to run with the ball will be useful on the hampden pitch. 

We need to win the midfield. Extra bodies in there help. We don’t need Beni and Devlin chasing shadows in there. 

Rick Sanchez

Gordon

Kingsley

Kent

Rowles

Sibbick

Grant

Baningime

Devlin

Cochrane

Shankland

Forrest

6 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

We need to win the midfield. Extra bodies in there help. We don’t need Beni and Devlin chasing shadows in there. 

I sometimes think we worry too much about winning the midfield or stopping their wide players or *insert other worry* that we end up with a back 5 to double up on their wide men, a flat 3 in midfield with Shankland dropping in to win the midfield battle and then we win the ball and think “what do we do now”?

The way to win this game is to give them more to worry about. 

Bob Loblaw
16 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

I think that will be the starting line up apart from Grant will play instead of Dexter and we will play 3-5-2

If we aren't playing guys that were hopeless at Ibrox we will be selecting from a shallow pool.

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Bob Loblaw said:

If we aren't playing guys that were hopeless at Ibrox we will be selecting from a shallow pool.

Agreed but assume you never meant to quote me

Luckies1874
20 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think Rowles and Atkinson were honking in the last match at Ibrox so wouldn’t play them in the Semi.

Would be struggling to name an 11 if that was the criteria. Can’t see Naismith leave out one of the clubs most prized assets in such a big match. 

Jim_Duncan
Just now, RDSK said:

I sometimes think we worry too much about winning the midfield or stopping their wide players or *insert other worry* that we end up with a back 5 to double up on their wide men, a flat 3 in midfield with Shankland dropping in to win the midfield battle and then we win the ball and think “what do we do now”?

Fair point, but being the stronger team in midfield usually gives you a platform to play from. 

Man for man they are a better team, so we have to nullify their threats while making best use of our own. The midfield is where this plays out. 

Bob Loblaw
19 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Agreed but assume you never meant to quote me

Yeah sorry, meant the post above you.

tiger Rudi
37 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Gordon

Kingsley

Kent

Rowles

Sibbick

Grant

Baningime

Devlin

Cochrane

Shankland

Forrest

Quite like the look of that, but not Forrest. His form has been poor lately. Surprisingly I'd start with Tagawa. He's an unknown quantity for us and they won't know a thing about him either. Might just be the game for him to make his mark. 

Vargas will likely start though. 

McKay will likely start too, I'm just not sure who will drop out for him. Maybe Shanks up on his own with an extra man in behind....... At least to start with. 

Luckies1874
9 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Surprisingly I'd start with Tagawa. He's an unknown quantity for us and they won't know a thing about him either. 

Aye that’s certainly surprising :rofl:

Daveandal

Vargas is our best attacking player with pace. The question is do we start him or bring him on after 60/65 mins when they start to get very leggy.

I'd possibly go with the later.

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, jamborich said:

Totally get your point but the pressure is now on them their fans are getting restless we have to take advantage and pile the pressure on I’m a lot more confident now than I was 3 weeks ago. Just hoping we don’t bottle again 

Agreed 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

The two games against Celtic.  The ones we won both 2-0.  Also through in at least one Derby game, one of them at Easter Road where he ran himself into the ground.  I know Hibs are not a big team but it was an away Derby so a big match. 

I guess Sundays line up with depend on how bold Naismith wants to be and after last night's draw for The Rangers maybe McKay might be getting the nod now.  The Rangers might possibly a bit more vulnerable si skill and guile over effort and graft may be the way. 

Our line up will be interesting to see.

He runs himself into the ground in most games, without creating anything or scoring. We will need more than that on Sunday, at ER he missed to great chances, we wont get that many and if the choice is between him and Oda/Vargas then those two win. 

Debut 4
7 hours ago, jamborich said:

Totally get your point but the pressure is now on them their fans are getting restless we have to take advantage and pile the pressure on I’m a lot more confident now than I was 3 weeks ago. Just hoping we don’t bottle again 

This sums it up mate.  

We now need to hope the players tap into this and bring out a big performance in themselves.  

Debut 4
3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

The two games against Celtic.  The ones we won both 2-0.  Also through in at least one Derby game, one of them at Easter Road where he ran himself into the ground.  I know Hibs are not a big team but it was an away Derby so a big match. 

I guess Sundays line up with depend on how bold Naismith wants to be and after last night's draw for The Rangers maybe McKay might be getting the nod now.  The Rangers might possibly a bit more vulnerable si skill and guile over effort and graft may be the way. 

Our line up will be interesting to see.

I’d plump for Forrest if anything. I don’t think McKay matches his alleged ability with enough workrate, in general.  

We need willing players to start the game, people who will run, cover, put themselves into a tackle/block and still

bring a bit quality on the ball to retain it.  

We can’t wait on players having their “baller” moment.  We need people looking for it all the time. Not against McKay coming on later if we are still well

in the game and we’ve set our own tone.  

We have craft in other areas between Grant, Shankland and runners with ability in Vargas, Oda etc…. 

SMJ_1874
2 hours ago, RDSK said:

Gordon

Natty Kent Kingsley Cochrane

Beni Devlin

Oda Grant Forrest

Shankland

I’d swap Vargas for Forrest 

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

They only have Lundstram as a natural holding midfield player. Cantwell as the 10 and Lawrence floating. They don’t really play through midfield at all. It’s all about width and their full backs don’t get pushed back (even when they should)

Id start 3-4-3. If we start with a 4, for me it’s a sign we’re really going for it but their pace wide is too much of a worry for me. We can switch mid game if we want. We’ve done it plenty times in both directions this season.

Gordon

Atkinson

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Cochrane

Devlin (if Nieuwenhof doesn’t make it)

Beni

Oda

Shankland

Vargas

Edited by JimmyCant

SandyClark
31 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Vargas is our best attacking player with pace. The question is do we start him or bring him on after 60/65 mins when they start to get very leggy.

I'd possibly go with the later.

My concern with that is we could be out of it after an hour but if we weren't then it would be a great sub to bring on.  I'd start him and get him running at, and behind, Tavernier as much as possible.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I like that team but there’s nobody there to play passes behind them for Vargas to run on to. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, SandyClark said:

My concern with that is we could be out of it after an hour but if we weren't then it would be a great sub to bring on.  I'd start him and get him running at, and behind, Tavernier as much as possible.

Spot on, waiting to put on guys that can win us the game rarely works, get a lead and then bring on the runners if thats what required. 

hmfc_liam06

The Sibbick shouts are incredible. Have folk forgotten what Rangers did to him during our last trip to Hampden?

hmfc_liam06

For me, we simply must play 3 in midfield against them, they have absolutely dominated us in the middle of the park.

Keys to the game for us is flooding the midfield and utilising pace out wide. Do that and we give ourselves the best chance at victory.

HopeDiouf
3 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The Sibbick shouts are incredible. Have folk forgotten what Rangers did to him during our last trip to Hampden?

think it's a symptom of how poor our RB's have been.  None of the options we have for RB for Sunday are appealing

hmfc_liam06
Just now, HopeDiouf said:

think it's a symptom of how poor our RB's have been.  None of the options we have for RB for Sunday are appealing

Totally. The answer still isn't Sibbick though.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

HopeDiouf
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Totally. The answer still isn't Sibbick though.

agree, but if it's not him, it has to be Natty or Dexter  and folks would say same about them. whoever we play there it will likely be our weak link

Edited by HopeDiouf

Tagawa shouldn't even be name checked on this thread but there are folk wanting to start him in what is our biggest game of the season.

11 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Unfortunately he still has a lot of admirers and he'll be suggested to play until the day he leaves the club. His countless errors, lapses in concentration and goals cost are always forgotten by some. 

Lovecraft
16 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sibbick is shite.

I'd rather play Shankland at CB or RB than Sibbick.  Especially against Rangers at Hampden.

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Unfortunately he still has a lot of admirers and he'll be suggested to play until the day he leaves the club. His countless errors, lapses in concentration and goals cost are always forgotten by some. 

The problem is that the 2 players we have for RB/RWB cant defend either so I can see why folk would suggest him to play against a Sima who is quick and strong. And this is the reason we will play a back 3 as cant afford any of Atko/Dexter/toby to get isolated

HopeDiouf
7 minutes ago, Homme said:

Tagawa shouldn't even be name checked on this thread but there are folk wanting to start him in what is our biggest game of the season.

I think it's some form of stockholm syndrome 

HopeDiouf
2 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

The problem is that the 2 players we have for RB/RWB cant defend either so I can see why folk would suggest him to play against a Sima who is quick and strong. And this is the reason we will play a back 3 as cant afford any of Atko/Dexter/toby to get isolated

agree we'll prob have to go with a 5 for that reason.  Could get away with a 4 on the left.

Just now, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Sibbick is quick but it's no use being quick if you're unable to sense danger or block crosses/make tackles. He gets turned and fooled far too easily. At least with Dexter/Atkinson while they're still not great defensively they at least offer more going forward too. Both players are still a better option and have more quality.

HillmanHearts
2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Gordon

Kingsley

Kent

Rowles

Sibbick

Grant

Baningime

Devlin

Cochrane

Shankland

Forrest

Yip, think that could be close. Question mark for RWB : will it be Sibbick, Natty or Dexter ? They each have merits and weaknesses. And 2nd fwd : Forrest, Vargas or Oda ? Oda’s direct pace would be very useful but would be a gamble as he often gets a bit lost if things don’t go right early. Forrest is the safe bet maybe as he will definitely get involved albeit his finished product has been a bit off recently. Vargas could be a good impact sub. Up to you really,Naisey  

HopeDiouf
Just now, Chimp said:

Sibbick is quick but it's no use being quick if you're unable to sense danger or block crosses/make tackles. He gets turned and fooled far too easily. At least with Dexter/Atkinson while they're still not great defensively they at least offer more going forward too. Both players are still a better option and have more quality.

whichever of the 3 plays, they will be our weakest link.

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

And when they hit diagonals over Sibbick's head and he ends up in no mans land again, just like he did at Hampden v them last time?

Just now, HopeDiouf said:

whichever of the 3 plays, they will be our weakest link.

Yep I agree.

Ex member of the SaS

Sevco will be a wounded animal, need to have everyone on top of their game. Get stuck in and move the ball quicker. We have shown we can play that way and this game it's a must. Sit in and defend and we will be over run. Allowing the bigot twins defenders to wander into our half and we lose. Get the mids and front men to put tackles in and stop them spraying passes around. Tav is suspect when pressured ( how he didn't get a card last night for the fore arm smash is not unusual but still a mystery.

Gillsland jack
2 hours ago, RDSK said:

Occam's Razor, I agree wholeheartedly.

jambmoz

Rangers have really struggled with County and Dundee’s midfield coming at them, not sure we have that kind of player tho

Gillsland jack
Just now, jambmoz said:

Rangers have really struggled with County and Dundee’s midfield coming at them, not sure we have that kind of player tho

Did you see the state of the Sevco fans abusing the Sevco players after the RC game? thats nothing compared to what they will get if they NOW lose a semi final, thats the additional pressure these Sevco players are now playing under, we need to play with a kind of who gives a ....if we get beat mindset, these Rangers players are mentally having the energy sucked right out of there legs at the moment.

I think we are ready for them now, we have pace in the team and we have goal scorers and we are at the very start of a great period in our history.

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, RDSK said:

I get you but we can’t be short in midfield.

the 3 allowed us to beat Celtic in Glasgow, we nearly beat rangers in Glasgow with it as well.  

it all goes wrong if we concede early though