Dens Park Pitch Debacle

RustyRightPeg

RustyRightPeg

Dundee potentially being forced to move their game to Motherwell this weekend...just give them two losses IMO.

"Pitch Update – 4th April 2024

Dundee Football Club want to respond to media speculation regarding the club being forced to move Saturday’s match against Motherwell away from the Scot Foam Stadium. The club want to clarify the situation regarding this.

As we all know there has been heavy rainfall in the Dundee area since the start of the week. The club have had a full grounds team along with consultants working on the pitch since the postponement of the Rangers match along with all the associated machinery and this will continue right up until Saturday. Rain covers will then be put down covering the whole pitch. The club are doing absolutely everything in its power to get Saturday’s match on and is expecting Saturday’s match to go ahead as planned. The club are in regular discussions with the league but no decision to move the match away from the Scot Foam Stadium has been made. The stories circulating in the media are very much media speculation. The club will provide another update to supporters later on today."

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• RustyRightPeg

• FarmerTweedy

• Rockwell

hughesie27

No idea who Scot Foam are but they've probably wasted a lot of money trying to get people to pretend it's not Dens park.

been here before
8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

No idea who Scot Foam are but they've probably wasted a lot of money trying to get people to pretend it's not Dens park.

I've no idea how the story is "a debacle" other than just a club reacting to what they say is media rumours.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, been here before said:

I've no idea how the story is "a debacle" other than just a club reacting to what they say is media rumours.

The debacle is the pitch. 3 games called off and looking like there will be more resulting in fixture congestion for others. Dens park being called off when no other game in Scotland was off that weekend when they were scheduled to play Rangers. 

The league literally give you money to maintain your pitch, and remarkably their neighbors manage to do so. Why can't they?

lost in space

We don't want Dundee to lose points. They are keeping wee team where they belong - bottom 6.

John Findlay

Play the game at Tannadice. All you've down is move it 50yds down the street.

jbee647

Ironically Dens Park was for years one of the best playing surfaces in Scottish football and was regularly chosen to host semifinals 

Percival King
10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That's far too sensible a suggestion for Scottish football. Presumably Tannadice is playable, maybe they had less rain!

Given we're so close to the split and the drafting of post split fixtures there's possibly only one date on which a rearranged game could be played and that would be after every other team had completed their fixtures which could lead to unhappiness from other clubs (e g. Hibs) depending on how results go. 

pettigrewsstylist

Quick phone call or three to Celtic should clarify their decision/decisions

db211833
30 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

United have a promotion battle on and would almost certainly tell them to do one.

kingantti1874

They clearly have a drainage issue.  So until they get it fixed they could just pro actively manage using rain covers.  

not ****ing rocket science .  I acknowledge they’ve said this, why they aren’t on the pitch already and haven’t been all season is anyone’s guess. 

Bungalow Bill
29 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Ironically Dens Park was for years one of the best playing surfaces in Scottish football and was regularly chosen to host semifinals 

The pitch looked great when we played them earlier on this season. Was pouring down that day too. 

davemclaren
39 minutes ago, lost in space said:

We don't want Dundee to lose points. They are keeping wee team where they belong - bottom 6.

Exactly. 

been here before
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

They clearly have a drainage issue.  So until they get it fixed they could just pro actively manage using rain covers.  

not ****ing rocket science .  I acknowledge they’ve said this, why they aren’t on the pitch already and haven’t been all season is anyone’s guess. 

Is there anything, anything at all that you dont know about?

Don't deduct points, just fine them heavily. Ideally so heavily that they're forced to sell players. To us.

kingantti1874
52 minutes ago, lost in space said:

100% 

tian447

They clearly don't want to spend money fixing their pitch because they still have dreams about moving to Camperdown in the next few years. 

They should be given a fine, suspended to the end of the season, of 2x the cost of the work required.  Either fix the pitch now, or leave it and pay twice as much at the end of the season.  That, or tell them if it's not fixed, they'll be chucked out of the league as they cannot maintain a suitable surface for hosting matches for next season. 

They are not going to do anything about it, so force their hand a bit. 

Edited by tian447

Gorgierools

I've just faxed them a comprehensive pitch drainage and improvement plan. Hope it gets to them in time.

John Findlay
24 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

I've just faxed them a comprehensive pitch drainage and improvement plan. Hope it gets to them in time.

Hmmm, that I suspect depends on what kind of Facsimile machine they use.

At least you didn't take the risk of E-Mailing them with an attachment.

Either of their two remaining games get called off and it's going to cause absolute fixture chaos.

Fort Vallance
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

They've tried that. When they sweep the water off the covers it just runs back because there's nowhere for it to drain off.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Either of their two remaining games get called off and it's going to cause absolute fixture chaos.

Absolutely. 

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

I don't see any way round it other than them having to play after the split..which obviously isn't possible.

Bonkers.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

The debacle is the pitch. 3 games called off and looking like there will be more resulting in fixture congestion for others. Dens park being called off when no other game in Scotland was off that weekend when they were scheduled to play Rangers. 

The league literally give you money to maintain your pitch, and remarkably their neighbors manage to do so. Why can't they?

Well see the rain is much worse at Dens than it is at Tannadice.

Also this is Scotland, who could have foreseen a run of rainy weather?

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Well see the rain is much worse at Dens than it is at Tannadice.

Also this is Scotland, who could have foreseen a run of rainy weather?

I see your point, crossing the Tannadice road equator automatically puts you into monsoon season. 

The fact they still haven't bought a cover astounds me. 

boag1874

If that doesn't go ahead because of their pitch AGAIN then they should be sanctioned imo. It's totally embarrassing for a professional top flight team and unfair on their opposition. Their neighbours who pretty much play across the street from them don't have these constant calloffs so it's obvious the fault lies with the club for not maintaining it.

Mikey1874
19 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I don't see any way round it other than them having to play after the split..which obviously isn't possible.

Bonkers.

Free week available when Scottish Cup semi finals are played. But delays the post split tv games which is a problem.

Thomaso

A shit pitch with no drainage!

Gundermann
5 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Dundee potentially being forced to move their game to Motherwell this weekend...just give them two losses IMO.

Dundee Football Club want to respond to media speculation regarding the club being forced to move Saturday’s match against Motherwell away from the Scot Foam Stadium. The club want to clarify the situation regarding this.

As we all know there has been heavy rainfall in the Dundee area since the start of the week. The club have had a full grounds team along with consultants working on the pitch since the postponement of the Rangers match along with all the associated machinery and this will continue right up until Saturday. Rain covers will then be put down covering the whole pitch. The club are doing absolutely everything in its power to get Saturday’s match on and is expecting Saturday’s match to go ahead as planned. The club are in regular discussions with the league but no decision to move the match away from the Scot Foam Stadium has been made. The stories circulating in the media are very much media speculation. The club will provide another update to supporters later on today."

Rocket science engaged.

Mind you, it's been pishing doon all week in the Dee so I'm not sure if putting rain covers on sodden ground will a yield the desired results.

redjambo
3 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

:D

Jim_Duncan
3 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I don't see any way round it other than them being demoted.

Medicine.

FTFY

joondalupjambo

The rain forecast for tomorrow is heavy and then more again on Saturday morning.  If it is not playable now not sure how they can save it other than throw loads of cash, drainage stuff and other resources at the problem.  All going to cost them, pity really but what goes round comes round.

john thomas
5 hours ago, db211833 said:

United have a promotion battle on and would almost certainly tell them to do one.

Why ?

DU fixture is away . St Johnstone away as well 

been here before
22 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Why ?

DU fixture is away . St Johnstone away as well 

To keep their pitch in decent nick.

Bunny Munro

Hope they make the top 6, get a huge fine, and go bust.

Pricks.

Seymour M Hersh

I wonder what happened to it? For years it was one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland. 

Lone Striker
5 hours ago, boag1874 said:

If that doesn't go ahead because of their pitch AGAIN then they should be sanctioned imo. It's totally embarrassing for a professional top flight team and unfair on their opposition. Their neighbours who pretty much play across the street from them don't have these constant calloffs so it's obvious the fault lies with the club for not maintaining it.

I think they "poached" the Tannadice head groundsman to become their head groundsman  after the Rangers call-off.  I'm guessing the pitch cover thingy is his idea as a short-term fix.  

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I wonder what happened to it? For years it was one of the best playing surfaces in Scotland. 

It slopes West to East that is one length to the other. I would imagine most of the rain doesn't clear from down the away end to easily. Motherwell had the same problem at Fir Park but sorted it. I'm sure Dundee could learn a thing or two from them pitch wise.

9 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Want them to finish above Hibs so hopefully that sort of punishment can wait until the split 

Spitonastranger
8 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

👏

FarmerTweedy
10 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

In this case, potentially not just fixture congestion for others, but major issues for the whole league, given that Dundee and the vermin look likely to go right to the wire in terms of deciding who is in the top 6 and who is in the bottom at the split!

Jambo-Fox

Reports that they will play in Airdrie if Dens is unplayable!

Wee Mikey

Tannadice is slightly uphill from Dens Park.

Maybe someone left the taps running?

ShortmanRossco
11 hours ago, been here before said:

Thanks for posting a completely meaningless opinion anyway though just to get your pound of flesh in Sooks #2

redjambo
4 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Tannadice is slightly uphill from Dens Park.

Maybe someone left the taps running?

According to the World Stadium database, Dens Park is 83m above sea level while Tannadice is 80m above.

:tongue:

https://www.worldstadiumdatabase.com/dens-park-stadium-dundee-in-scotland.htm

https://www.worldstadiumdatabase.com/tannadice-park-stadium-dundee-in-scotland.htm