• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• Sir PH

• Pasquale for King

BlueRiver
1 hour ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

He couldn’t help himself that day and relished being the centre of attention.  I recall that wee dick Strachan even made him captain. 

Seem to recall he unnecessarily ran half the length of the pitch to ensure he was seen to be celebrating at one of their goals.  This was even before the chest thumping nonsense. 

Had he just quietly played the game and acted respectfully towards the fans who had idolised him for years, he’d have been welcomed back a long time ago and might even been given the manager’s job at one point. 

This. 

Ex member of the SaS
15 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

It was the Falkirk cup tie. Defender put Andy Driver up in the air and while Andy was flying towards the advertising boards the guy touched the ball. Stonewall penalty, so much so that even Dougie McDonald awarded it to Hearts. 
Pressley argued and argued that his full back had got the ball and the linesman changed McDonald’s mind (which wouldn’t have been hard, the Hibs *******).

Falkirk reached the final that year, iirc. 

Thanks S2, Just getting old and forgetful but some things will never be forgotten.

He is a professional athlete, his job is to win. Anything he did within the match is fair play. Celebrating an emotional win at the end isn't ideal but it's understandable. I wasn't following Hearts in the Pressley days (admittedly making my opinion less relevant) but on his resume I see hundreds of appearances, a trophy win, and finished #2. I also remember Craig Gordon receiving some embarrassing reviews while at Celtic, but admittedly the majority here seemed to get he was just doing his job there.

If the club wants to bring Pressley back to do a groveling pre-match interview, he should be welcomed back with open arms.

It's year #150. There are a small number of living Hearts captains who can claim they lifted a trophy. Fewer still who can claim to have captained a squad that finished above Rangers or Celtic in league play. Life is too short and the margins of competition too narrow to choose exclusion over inclusion.

Edited by Smithian

Sleepy head

My favorite Hearts captain. Yes it was aimed at the board however it was interpreted by frothers as aimed at the club and fans.

Would have headered a rock for us. Club legend in my book.

The Real Maroonblood
35 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I know, it's stupid. One wee reckless gesture. Which is why it probably should be forgiven when weighed against everything he did for our club. But football fans normally don't think like that, sadly. Grudges are much more fun.

So many sleepless nights thinking about that gesture.:10900:

Gorgie_Rules

I was in Section N the night of the chest pumping pretty close to where he was and it wasn’t just a celebration to endear himself to the Celtic support, it was a deliberate get it right up you to the Hearts support. I’m surprised someone didnt jump the sponsors boards that night and run on with the reaction it brought about. Quite hard to watch from a guy who lifted the Scottish cup with us.

What has went under the radar was Kyle Lafferty’s behaviour when he returned with Rangers. Recall him running/jumping towards the Rangers support milking it, not too disimilar to Pressley, however I suspect Lafferty would likely be welcomed back by many before Pressley, despite achieving alot less.

Paul Hartley went from Hearts to Celtic and had no issue keeping his legendary status intact, I suspect Pressley regrets it now looking back.

stevie1874
28 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Legend.

We have a few precious fans tho that got offended that one time.

He's boring as **** tho, he's that boring drying paint watches his interviews.

You seem to like having a go at our fans? Precious on this thread, thick on another. Still bitter about Bob? 

3 hours ago, OTT said:

His position of he doesn't know why is a little odd. Fans broadly speaking have an issue with him. If he made an apology about the chest beating celebration and expressed regret about the whole sorry episode, I think that would go a long way. Paul Hartley moved to Celtic too (likewise Gordon) and both have zero issues from supporters because of the way they conducted themselves at that club when at Tynie or playing against Hearts. 

Did he do anything during our administration ? - I'm sure we saw former players getting involved etc. 

With the 150th anniversary stuff coming up over the next 11 months (I assume?) there may be an opportunity to mend those fences. I think it would be a great idea to do some media stuff with as many former captains and managers still alive and document their experiences and memories of the club. 

He's a cup winning captain so should be lauded as a hero, but he's made himself a polarising figure. 

Its an interesting alternative reality though, if he'd accepted the assistant manager gig that Valdas offered him, who knows what the following seasons might have been like - think Vlad was petty enough to oust him purely for rejecting the offer. Could very well have cemented his legacy as a club legend. 

Really hoping the bit in bold is looked at by the club. With regards to Steven he was a fantastic servant to the club and should be forgiven for a rush of blood to the head.

There is not one person on this board who has not had a get it up you moment in their life, it can be the most frivolous thing from missing the bin man to some idiot on the road, it happens to us all.

Nookie Bear

This is old news and i feel the club and supporters have moved on from Pressley and Romanov now.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

An odd character, dont think he brings anything to the party now

9 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

I was in Section N the night of the chest pumping pretty close to where he was and it wasn’t just a celebration to endear himself to the Celtic support, it was a deliberate get it right up you to the Hearts support. I’m surprised someone didnt jump the sponsors boards that night and run on with the reaction it brought about. Quite hard to watch from a guy who lifted the Scottish cup with us.

What has went under the radar was Kyle Lafferty’s behaviour when he returned with Rangers. Recall him running/jumping towards the Rangers support milking it, not too disimilar to Pressley, however I suspect Lafferty would likely be welcomed back by many before Pressley, despite achieving alot less.

Paul Hartley went from Hearts to Celtic and had no issue keeping his legendary status intact, I suspect Pressley regrets it now looking back.

Sir Paul deliberately missed a penalty for Celtic at Tynecastle cementing his status

25 minutes ago, Smithian said:

He is a professional athlete, his job is to win. Anything he did within the match is fair play. Celebrating an emotional win at the end isn't ideal but it's understandable. I wasn't following Hearts in the Pressley days (admittedly making my opinion less relevant) but on his resume I see hundreds of appearances, a trophy win, and finished #2. I also remember Craig Gordon receiving some embarrassing reviews while at Celtic, but admittedly the majority here seemed to get he was just doing his job there.

If the club wants to bring Pressley back to do a groveling pre-match interview, he should be welcomed back with open arms.

It's year #150. There are a small number of living Hearts captains who can claim they lifted a trophy. Fewer still who can claim to have captained a squad that finished above Rangers or Celtic in league play. Life is too short and the margins of competition too narrow to choose exclusion over inclusion.

Ooft!

That thread is a belter :lol: 

jack D and coke
3 hours ago, Perrykitch said:

Aware I'm a bit late on this but genuinely interested in what people on here think.

Saw this interview earlier from a few months back about why Elvis stayed down south and the bridges he'd burnt up in Scotland due to the clubs he'd played for, of course he specifically referenced his experience at Hearts during the turbulent 05/06 season. I know he divides our support a little but I was fairly shocked he hadn't been asked back to Tynecastle in an y capacity after all these years. I wonder if it's fear of him being booed or not being welcome by some sections of the support.

Is most of the negativity towards him over the infamous Celtic celebration? or is there more to it that I am not remembering? My personal opinion is he was trying to steer the club through a time when things were absolutely mad behind the scenes. I am sure he supported players and was looking out for the interests of the club, who in that season, could have achieved the unthinkable had Romanov not intervened in the way that he did.  He led by example and was one of the best captains we have had in recent times, lifting a cup in the process. Even if that celebration didn't sit well (which I completely recognise), the lasting memory of this guy is overwhelmingly a positive one.

I'd quite like to see him back at Tynecastle in some capacity and his achievements recognised.

Snakey set fire to 10 years in a maroon jersey in pretty much 10 seconds.

He knows why he’s never been invited back and im so happy people at the club feel the same way. 
Stay away ya snakey chest thumping prick!!

IMG_1454.jpeg

Edited by jack D and coke

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Don't actually care that it was Celtic, they way he celebrated was a massive FU to the fans that had supported, no idolised him for years.

He's shown zero regret for it and even more recently when he's sporadically done pundit work he's been very, very quick to put the boot into Hearts. 

It's sad because as I said, he WAS idolised at Tynecastle, now he's just a blowhard and failed manager that's an irrelevance to our great club.

This…

Hes thick as mince as well. 
Doesn’t know why he’s not been invited back?!  
Aye?!! 
😂😂

2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

100%
I went in specifically to applaud Pressley when he came out for the warm up as did many others. He never really acknowledged the Hearts fans at all that day, until the chest thumping. I couldn’t care less now whether he’s invited back or not. I’d probably happily finish my kebab pie on the concourse before I’d take my seat early to welcome him back. 
Thanks for your service but you had the chance to acknowledge our gratitude. Irrelevant now, which is sad for a Scottish Cup winning captain. 

Thanks for confirming. I mirror your feelings in your last paragraph.👍

3 hours ago, Deevers said:

Until he actually shows remorse for the chest thumping I’m afraid cup winning captain or not, his legacy will be forever  tarnished. It’s a pity. I loved him as a player and as a captain. 

Exactly - agreed, as for me he was "Mr Hearts" and thats what hurt.....when he ignored Hearts fans applause and requests for a wave/acknowledgement, the went to extremes to ingratiate himself with another set of supporters right in front of the Hearts bunch. Rarely have I seen a football player shoot himself in the foot so stupidly whilst burning his bridges. What highlighted the idiocy was that Paul hartley did the exact opposite and still has a great raport with Hearts punters. He went out his way whenever he visited Tynie as a Celtic player to acknowledge the home folk at every turn. (eg waving profusely when some of them sung theres only one Paul Hartley etc) Greatly disappointed with SP - he knows what he did and should be the one to offer his hand. Many of us would welcome that !!

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I’d happily forgive him. But he’s long overdue  a public apology for the unnecessary offensive nonsense at Tynecastle which no one there will ever forget. It was insulting then. It’s still insulting. He was a dick. Hes still a dick.

Man calls another man a dick for being unnecessary offensive. :rofl:

You go Jimmy, you offended little scamp. 

:facepalm:

GorgieFifeLife

A weapon when he played for us, a weapon when he played for the great unwashed and still a weapon now.  He can do one.

I'll always love him, he was my first ever Hearts hero growing up. The guy really was Mr Hearts and epitomised everything we want to see in a captain. He easily takes a CB slot in my all time Hearts team. I respect him for the Riccarton three conference, he put his neck on the line for what he believed was right and in the hope Vlad would see sense and let the manager get on with managing a squad that should have amounted to more than it ever did. Unfortunately Vlad saw him and the amount of influence he had as a threat and that was that.

I don't care about that badge thump incident as it wasn't aimed at us, it was a GIRFUY at our bampot of an owner and his incompetent advisors who despite the good parts were killing our club. He probably regrets it, he was a guy that played with his heart on his sleeve and at that moment he let his emotions take over, not thinking how it looked to us. We all make mistakes and there were better ways to show his animosity towards Vlad & co but it was never about hurting us.

Lest we forget that Craig Gordon also hammed it up playing for Celtic against us pissing many posters off who declared him too far gone to ever be welcomed home but in the end he's regained his legendary status.

3 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

A weapon when he played for us, a weapon when he played for the great unwashed and still a weapon now.  He can do one.

How's that then?

Nucky Thompson

Been done to death, but I'm delighted that he feels upset about not getting invited back.

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Only had himself to blame.  Signing for Celtic isn’t the problem his attitude was.

He won’t be invited becuase he will get abuse.

such a shame, great player for us and a great captain tarnished by a moment of madness. 

Correct. Hartley left for Celtic but isn’t viewed anything like pressley by the fans as he didn’t act like a fud when he came back to tynie in a Celtic strip. 

4marsbars
3 hours ago, Deevers said:

Until he actually shows remorse for the chest thumping I’m afraid cup winning captain or not, his legacy will be forever  tarnished. It’s a pity. I loved him as a player and as a captain. 

What would "remorse " look like?

The people who should express remorse are the fans with short memories who forgot how good he was. Time and again put his body on the line. Never hid. Never gave less than 100%. He even stood up to Romanov because he loved the club.

He owes me nothing.

I owe him all the applause I can muster. Denied the opportunity by the easily-offended brigade. They could boycott his return. No one would notice the odd empty seat. Easy. Let it happen.

4marsbars
13 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Been done to death, but I'm delighted that he feels upset about not getting invited back.

What's it like to nurse a grievance for nearly two decades? Can't be good for you.

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, julienbrellier said:

Agree with the OP's sentiment, lots of time has passed now and it's time to let go of all the snake stuff. I can confirm that it was in fact 1 celebration that has led to some hating the guy seemingly even to this day. I think most do look back positively. Can 1 celebration undo years of service to the club? I really don't think so. Heat of the moment thing.  Would like to see him back involved in some of the 150 year celebration stuff.

Have you read the whole thread? It was NOT one incident and he will ever be a snake.

3 hours ago, Jack Torrance said:

Clearly doesn't understand what provincial means.

Clearly understands it more than you do it seems:

pro·vin·cial
/prəˈvin(t)SH(ə)l/
adjective

1. 1.
    of or concerning a province of a country or empire.
    "the provincial government"

2. 2.
    concerning the regions outside the capital city of a country
Edited by trotter

4 hours ago, Chaps said:

Don’t care what anyone says he is a Hearts captain cup winning legend.

Don’t agree with what he done at the Celtic game but we’ve all done things in heat of the moment 

He was treated very badly from an egomaniac lunatic. We were a complete shit show from top to bottom.

Pretty much this. The Russian was a complete arsehole and a lunatic.

Pressley was a quite superb Hearts captain. The Romanov era saw provided some excellent players, Skacel most notably. Ultimately it was an unedifying shitshow that almost cost us our existence. 

Edited by Carter

tartofmidlothian
4 hours ago, RedStarRiot said:

One of the best captains and defenders in my life time. 

He should be a legend but that celebration really tainted his legacy. 

Sums it up.

57 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Ooft!

That thread is a belter :lol: 

Yes. Some, not all, found a true sporting hatred from Craig Gordon. But when the prodigal son returned, they again found love in their hearts.

Pressley would have a harder time since he can't prove it on the pitch, still I bet the right interview would open that door back up.

No door in sports is ever truly closed. It's just how hard it is to open it up.

sirwalter

As is depressingly shown on these pages every single day there are those who have a need to focus their hate on someone or something. Others of us just love the Hearts. It genuinely saddens me.

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Pretty much this. The Russian was a complete arsehole and a lunatic.

Pressley was a quite superb Hearts captain. The Romanov era saw provided some excellent players, Skacel most notably. Ultimately it was an unedifying shitshow that almost cost us our existence. 

Its wild to think he could have made himself an absolute legend had he taken the assistant manager job, he'd have stayed as captain, likely slowed any slide following the cup win and probably at some point managed the club. 

Instead, he's held in low regard because of one moment of idioicy. 

Off topic, but I'd be interested in us signing his laddie up again. Currently at Stevenage. 6ft 4" striker, only 22. 

1 minute ago, Smithian said:

Yes. Some, not all, found a true sporting hatred from Craig Gordon. But when the prodigal son returned, they again found love in their hearts.

Pressley would have a harder time since he can't prove it on the pitch, still I bet the right interview would open that door back up.

No door in sports is ever truly closed. It's just how hard it is to open it up.

The right interview would absolutely do it for me.

I've met him a couple of times since and he's a good bloke.

I wish him absolutely no I'll whatsoever, but football is pantomime and he's the villain.

Booooooooooo!

5 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

What would "remorse " look like?

The people who should express remorse are the fans with short memories who forgot how good he was. Time and again put his body on the line. Never hid. Never gave less than 100%. He even stood up to Romanov because he loved the club.

He owes me nothing.

I owe him all the applause I can muster. Denied the opportunity by the easily-offended brigade. They could boycott his return. No one would notice the odd empty seat. Easy. Let it happen.

Too me all he really would have to say is that he regrets the way he had to leave the club. I think most folk would accept that. 

i think most folk know what he Hartley and Gordon did was to try and get some sense into the way that Romanov worked. That was always going to fail. I respected all three for their efforts.

The chest thumping in that game did upset lots of folk - that’s indisputable. I loved him as a player and as a club captain  - the pity is that one act did what it did. I’d love to see him back in some capacity. Maybe it will happen one day.

Threedoorsdown

For me being invited back as an ex player is a privilege. Only a small percentage of players ever get invited back more than once or twice if that.

Pressley fecked it for himself. Thanks for what you gave us on the pitch but there are a hundred players I’d prefer to have back before him.

He's a total irrelevance to the club in 2024. He, rather publicly, made his bed and now he's not sure he wants to lie in it. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

You seem to like having a go at our fans? Precious on this thread, thick on another. Still bitter about Bob? 

Fans calling Presley a snake are on here and have in the past.

I think  they're precious and should stop talking shite.

On the other thread our ceo was called a twat for simply updating us on Beni, I was just pointing out that fans like that can be classed as a bit thick?

You disagree?

Bringing Bob on a thread like this probably sticks you in one of these categories anaw tbh.

I'll let you choose which one tho.

hughesie27

Mr Hearts. An absolute legend.

Only wee sensitive souls get upset about him.

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, JAYEL said:

Sir Paul deliberately missed a penalty for Celtic at Tynecastle cementing his status

I've always thought that as well.

First and only penalty he missed at Tynecastle.

stevie1874
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fans calling Presley a snake are on here and have in the past.

I think  they're precious and should stop talking shite.

On the other thread our ceo was called a twat for simply updating us on Beni, I was just pointing out that fans like that can be classed as a bit thick?

You disagree?

Bringing Bob on a thread like this probably sticks you in one of these categories anaw tbh.

I'll let you choose which one tho.

You have a rather annoying habit of posting as though you are more knowledgable than most on here. You cooled a bit once Bob was sacked after criticising fans for months before on their opinions. 
Apologies if bringing up Bob has triggered you, goodness knows how you’d react if say someone mentioned a certain poster wanting our rivals to win a cup 😁👍

5 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I'm sure he said after winning the Scottish cup with Celtic it was better than winning it with Hearts. 

Walter Mitty post

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Perrykitch said:

Aware I'm a bit late on this but genuinely interested in what people on here think.

Saw this interview earlier from a few months back about why Elvis stayed down south and the bridges he'd burnt up in Scotland due to the clubs he'd played for, of course he specifically referenced his experience at Hearts during the turbulent 05/06 season. I know he divides our support a little but I was fairly shocked he hadn't been asked back to Tynecastle in an y capacity after all these years. I wonder if it's fear of him being booed or not being welcome by some sections of the support.

Is most of the negativity towards him over the infamous Celtic celebration? or is there more to it that I am not remembering? My personal opinion is he was trying to steer the club through a time when things were absolutely mad behind the scenes. I am sure he supported players and was looking out for the interests of the club, who in that season, could have achieved the unthinkable had Romanov not intervened in the way that he did.  He led by example and was one of the best captains we have had in recent times, lifting a cup in the process. Even if that celebration didn't sit well (which I completely recognise), the lasting memory of this guy is overwhelmingly a positive one.

I'd quite like to see him back at Tynecastle in some capacity and his achievements recognised.

He engineered his move to Celtic under his old Coventry boss Strachan in my opinion. Was a great captain, a good player, but I never fell for the badge thumping for us and the Celtic fans didn’t either. 
Not sure why we always want ex players involved at the club, has had a 50/50 success rate so far.