Steven Pressley interview

Perrykitch

A_A wehatethehibs
29 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

This thread is a belter.

Grown up men in the huff and with petty lips down to thier chin because of a goal celebration.

:rofl:

Surely they are not serious?

The thread has turned into a " who's greetin and upset the most" competition.

You'd think he'd abused someone or committed a heinous crime.

See Hibs drew Rangers in the SC quarter final. You’ll be buzzing for that. Got your ticket for the home end, green & white scarf at the ready?  

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• Sir PH

• Pasquale for King

8 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

We should all be thankful he is persona non grata at the club. Great captain for Hearts but he’s excruciating to listen to and any involvement with Hearts TV etc would be even worse than it is now.  :lol:

Failed manager, monotone and awkward pundit but he'll still make a career out of either or both over the next 20 years.

Being crap is no barrier in football management or punditry.

heatonjambo
23 hours ago, Perrykitch said:

Aware I'm a bit late on this but genuinely interested in what people on here think.

Saw this interview earlier from a few months back about why Elvis stayed down south and the bridges he'd burnt up in Scotland due to the clubs he'd played for, of course he specifically referenced his experience at Hearts during the turbulent 05/06 season. I know he divides our support a little but I was fairly shocked he hadn't been asked back to Tynecastle in an y capacity after all these years. I wonder if it's fear of him being booed or not being welcome by some sections of the support.

Is most of the negativity towards him over the infamous Celtic celebration? or is there more to it that I am not remembering? My personal opinion is he was trying to steer the club through a time when things were absolutely mad behind the scenes. I am sure he supported players and was looking out for the interests of the club, who in that season, could have achieved the unthinkable had Romanov not intervened in the way that he did.  He led by example and was one of the best captains we have had in recent times, lifting a cup in the process. Even if that celebration didn't sit well (which I completely recognise), the lasting memory of this guy is overwhelmingly a positive one.

I'd quite like to see him back at Tynecastle in some capacity and his achievements recognised.

Why’s he doing the interview on the Sh!tter?

7 minutes ago, martoon said:

Failed manager, monotone and awkward pundit but he'll still make a career out of either or both over the next 20 years.

I'm not so sure he gets the media gigs that he thought he would. Probably because he's a complete bore and his voice would have an insomniac out cold in no time.

been here before
12 hours ago, Big Chae said:

He then broke my teenage jambo heart with his antics. I can never forgive him, I will not forgive him. 

:rofl:

Straight out of a Bronte novel.

Love him, will always love him.

Each to their own but I get the impression many people are just making themselves hate him because of 'that' incident.

Steven Pressley was a Hearts player for 3,083 days.  In every single second of every minute in every one of these days he was outstanding for us, a true dedicated pro.

Hated what he did but I am a big boy and have moved on.  Life would be a lot harder if we were to judge every person on ill advised moments as opposed to long term behaviours.

Edited by i8hibsh

Thunder and Lightning

So, an Aberdeen/Rangers and Celtic fan.

Thankfully, never a hibs supporter (certainly not in a cup final!!!), not something all on this thread can say.

Borders Jambo
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

Each to their own but I get the impression many people are just making themselves hate him because of 'that' incident.

Steven Pressley was a Hearts player for 3,083 days.  In every single second of every minute in every one of these days he was outstanding for us, a true dedicated pro.

Hated what he did but I am a big boy and have moved on.  Life would be a lot harder if we were to judge every person on one single ill advised moments as opposed to long term behaviours.

My view as well. Its obvious though that he polarises opinion and I can understand why he hasn’t been invited back.

Perhaps he could do the next FOH certificates presentation? I had the pleasure of shaking Uche’s hand.

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

See Hibs drew Rangers in the SC quarter final. You’ll be buzzing for that. Got your ticket for the home end, green & white scarf at the ready?  

How upset and effected are you by an opposition player celebrating a goal?

1- being not at all

10- still raging and emotionally scarred for life?

You seem to be about a 7/8- emotionally charge enough to bypass the conversation and go straight on to a game with hibs and Rangers and accuse me of being a hibs fan.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Hated what he did but I am a big boy and have moved on.  Life would be a lot harder if we were to judge every person on one single ill advised moments as opposed to long term behaviours.

Good post.

Folk are now at the stage of trying to be  "hurt", outraged or angry more now.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Good post.

Folk are now at the stage of trying to be  "hurt", outraged or angry more now.

When you can go a full week without mentioning "Bob" (hilarious nickname) we might take lectures from you about moving on. Until then.....

Hearts_fan

I feel I’ve completely forgiven Elvis for that silly celebration, but if he hasn’t even apologised or expressed regret about it, that casts new light on the matter. Could be down to continued lack of self-awareness. Having seen that interview and witnessed his sheer exasperation at not being “invited back” at any stage, I surmise that the impact of the celebration is outwith his awareness. Either that of he can’t face thinking about it. 

In any case, he was a superb player, captain and leader for us, and that is of far greater value than a possible mere moment of madness. I’d like to see him at least acknowledge his mistake though. 

Watt-Zeefuik

In buying in fully to becoming a Jambo, there's a lot of things I've come to understand over the years, but the amount of decades-long some feel over five seconds by a man who was angry at his former employer for totally unacceptable behavior towards him still mystifies me. Of course he was angry. Of course he wanted a "GIRUY" moment.

I've gone back and watched the video multiple times looking for something egregious about it and I'm still mystified.

His celebration with Levein when De Vries scored his 4th in the 5-1 derby actually warms my heart.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Good to read a thread containing such a grown-up sense of perspective nearly 20 years on.

It's another seethe thread.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Thick as mince too is also no barrier 😆

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

In buying in fully to becoming a Jambo, there's a lot of things I've come to understand over the years, but the amount of decades-long some feel over five seconds by a man who was angry at his former employer for totally unacceptable behavior towards him still mystifies me. Of course he was angry. Of course he wanted a "GIRUY" moment.

I've gone back and watched the video multiple times looking for something egregious about it and I'm still mystified.

Probably people who fell for the badge thumping who then realised it meant nothing when weeks after leaving he did it to a Celtic badge. Lets not kid ourselves on that hes an example of loyalty to any football club. 

A_A wehatethehibs
13 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

How upset and effected are you by an opposition player celebrating a goal?

1- being not at all

10- still raging and emotionally scarred for life?

You seem to be about a 7/8- emotionally charge enough to bypass the conversation and go straight on to a game with hibs and Rangers and accuse me of being a hibs fan.

Choices have consequences. He could’ve made different choices. Football fans tend not to forget things. Obviously the initial anger fades away, it’s long in the past now. But that doesn’t mean it’s redeemed. Presley’s experience is the same as yours in a way. His last appearance at Tynecastle is not forgotten. And neither is you supporting Hibernian to win a cup final. 

washniklaw
45 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Probably people who fell for the badge thumping who then realised it meant nothing when weeks after leaving he did it to a Celtic badge. Lets not kid ourselves on that hes an example of loyalty to any football club. 

I tend to agree, deep down I think the only thing that matters to Elvis is himself. I feel like the Mr Hearts image was deliberately cultivated to show how much he cared. Younger fans like myself bought into it and believed it to be true. Once he moved on the mask slipped and he’s never been able to get back the respect that was once there.

I find he comes across as quite aloof and probably thinks he is above the supporters in terms of importance. I was sitting in the main stand at Hampden for the 2023 final and he was in one of the fancy boxes behind us. Sitting with the regular punters like me were club legends like JJ, Scott Wilson, Billy Brown, Andy Webster even Jose Quitongo. I didn’t see him interact or talk with anyone below his box and I found that really quite sad. He had played with or been managed by several of these people. It could have been a day to build bridges but he sat there with his fancy mates eating canapés. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, washniklaw said:

I tend to agree, deep down I think the only thing that matters to Elvis is himself. I feel like the Mr Hearts image was deliberately cultivated to show how much he cared. Younger fans like myself bought into it and believed it to be true. Once he moved on the mask slipped and he’s never been able to get back the respect that was once there.

I find he comes across as quite aloof and probably thinks he is above the supporters in terms of importance. I was sitting in the main stand at Hampden for the 2023 final and he was in one of the fancy boxes behind us. Sitting with the regular punters like me were club legends like JJ, Scott Wilson, Billy Brown, Andy Webster even Jose Quitongo. I didn’t see him interact or talk with anyone below his box and I found that really quite sad. He had played with or been managed by several of these people. It could have been a day to build bridges but he sat there with his fancy mates eating canapés. 

Great post, quite sad as you say, he does have an elevated opinion of himself. 

henrysmithsgloves
2 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Yeah, his service to the club and winning a cup trumps his ill advised celebration.

:spoton:

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Choices have consequences. He could’ve made different choices. Football fans tend not to forget things. Obviously the initial anger fades away, it’s long in the past now. But that doesn’t mean it’s redeemed. Presley’s experience is the same as yours in a way. His last appearance at Tynecastle is not forgotten. And neither is you supporting Hibernian to win a cup final. 

Spot on. 
Ps his last game at Tynecastle was for Falkirk when a linesman chalked off a penalty the ref gave to us against Darren Barr. 

washniklaw

Even the way he has chosen to highlight his grievances is mismanaged (West Coast Media). There are loads of HMFC podcast that would have provided a sympathetic hearing so that they could get a club legend of their show. It would have connected with the supporters again rather than going through Keith Jackson.

Elvis go on a podcast and start building a relationship back up that was once strong!

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on. 
Ps his last game at Tynecastle was for Falkirk when a linesman chalked off a penalty the ref gave to us against Darren Barr. 

Yea that was the game I was talking about. Absolutely will never be forgotten by the support….. 

Leaving aside the celebration, I don't think Pressley comes across well in interviews. He always sounds arrogant (despite his lack of success as a manager). Paul Hartley, on the other hand, speaks highly of the club and clearly still has an interest in us.

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yea that was the game I was talking about. Absolutely will never be forgotten by the support….. 

Apologies 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Thick as mince too is also no barrier 😆

Mandatory. 👍

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Stanley_ said:

Leaving aside the celebration, I don't think Pressley comes across well in interviews. He always sounds arrogant (despite his lack of success as a manager). Paul Hartley, on the other hand, speaks highly of the club and clearly still has an interest in us.

I get the feeling Hartley is a lot smarter than Pressley tbh. 

innerjambo

He does come across as arrogant and clearly loves himself. He is obviously incredibly stupid, completely in denial, or both. I would suggest it's both. 

The day that someone burned down his Legend Banner in the Gorgie Stand is in my top 10 days supporting Hearts.

kingantti1874

Just watched this again and in all honesty the fact that he says “I don’t know why” he absolutely knows why. And this is part of the problem. Hes not all that honest even with himself

Edited by kingantti1874

washniklaw
46 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Im not sure if he is smarter but I certainly think he comes across as a humbler character. Being down to earth wins many friends.

innerjambo
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

He is, but then that's not difficult tbf.

Craigieboy

He’s a snake. 

There was never any need to act like he did against a club & support who’d looked after him for years. 

One of the greatest moments in the clubs recent history was when someone burned down his legends banner. 

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, washniklaw said:

Im not sure if he is smarter but I certainly think he comes across as a humbler character. Being down to earth wins many friends.

Good point, but I reckon i have stuff in my fridge more intelligent than Pressley. 

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

He is, but then that's not difficult tbf.

😆👍🏽

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Le Chat said:

The day that someone burned down his Legend Banner in the Gorgie Stand is in my top 10 days supporting Hearts.

18 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

He’s a snake. 

There was never any need to act like he did against a club & support who’d looked after him for years. 

One of the greatest moments in the clubs recent history was when someone burned down his legends banner. 

How did I miss this? When was it if you don’t mind me asking?

9 hours ago, Jack Torrance said:

I understand it perfectly well and the definition you've provided is correct.

You've clearly not understood his quote or what he was implying, so I will spell it out for you.

He said: “The highlight was probably lifting the Scottish Cup with Hearts. I experienced it at the Old Firm with them it’s the norm to win trophies – it’s extra special at a provincial club which is something Coventry fans experienced in ‘87.

It's obvious Coventry are a provincial club, but he is implying that we are a small club outside of the capital city. And it is the usual arrogant and ignorant narrative that the rest of Scottish football have to put up with from former players of those two Glasgow clubs and it deserves be called out.

So what is it that I clearly don't understand?

My bad, I read that as he was referring to Coventry as a provincial club, apologies.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Choices have consequences....😭

He's a football player who celebrated scoring a goal, get over yourself,  man up and grow up.

Have you forgotten him making a choice and being a brilliant player for  us, or do you just remember the Choices that really, really upset you. 

Regarding my suppet for hibs -Please don't spread lies ethier, it's very cowardly and makes you look even more of a rabid slaver grasping at straws to justify your ridiculous stance in calling a former club captain and cup winner a snake.

The more heated posts on this thread are the ones from posters who are indignant at fans who have a different moral threshold to them . You are not going to force anyone to change their mind , so why not just accept that some people have different standards about some things and let them get on with it . All the wee smilies in the world will not make a blind bit of difference to someone who ( imo ) rightly thinks he is a total welt 

Craigieboy
39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

How did I miss this? When was it if you don’t mind me asking?

I can’t remember the exact timescale but not long after the incident. 

If you look at where the banner used to be on the side of the Gorgie stand you can still see the scorch marks on the metal. 

A fine moment that is rivalled only by Fish’s hounding out of Gorgie by the top boys on JKB. 

Am I right @Le Chat @Pants Shaton?

alicante jambo

Guy could have been talked about for years to come as  legend. He will be spoken about for years as being a snake and rightly so. We loved that guy and he knew exactly what he was doing. Prick of the highest.

Thunder and Lightning
52 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Choices have consequences....😭

He's a football player who celebrated scoring a goal, get over yourself,  man up and grow up.

Have you forgotten him making a choice and being a brilliant player for  us, or do you just remember the Choices that really, really upset you. 

Regarding my suppet for hibs -Please don't spread lies ethier, it's very cowardly and makes you look even more of a rabid slaver grasping at straws to justify your ridiculous stance in calling a former club captain and cup winner a snake.

You calling someone a slaver. 

The very epitome of irony. 😂 

Cameronstheman
47 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The more heated posts on this thread are the ones from posters who are indignant at fans who have a different moral threshold to them . You are not going to force anyone to change their mind , so why not just accept that some people have different standards about some things and let them get on with it . All the wee smilies in the world will not make a blind bit of difference to someone who ( imo ) rightly thinks he is a total welt 

Correct 

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

I can’t remember the exact timescale but not long after the incident. 

If you look at where the banner used to be on the side of the Gorgie stand you can still see the scorch marks on the metal. 

A fine moment that is rivalled only by Fish’s hounding out of Gorgie by the top boys on JKB. 

Am I right @Le Chat @Pants Shaton?

Brilliant, can’t believe I missed that 😆

Jack Torrance
3 hours ago, trotter said:

My bad, I read that as he was referring to Coventry as a provincial club, apologies.

😄 no worries. Yeah sounds like he was a bit confused going by the quote. Anyway, maybe he'll build bridges one day, who knows. It's a shame because he was a great captain for us.

Edited by Jack Torrance

Armageddon

He is a fu king snake.

That will never ever change for me.

He shat on our badge.  Unforgivable.

5 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

😄 no worries. Yeah sounds like he was a bit confused going by the quote. Anyway, maybe he'll build bridges one day, who knows. It's a shame because he was a great captain for us.

Agreed

Janbo1874

Does anyone remember the Pressley t shirt that someone was punting on here back in the day?

Maroon shirt with Pressleys pus superimposed on the classic Che Guevara pic with Captain Fantastic printed on  it.

I bought one but burned it when he signed for them.