Steven Pressley interview

Perrykitch

Perrykitch

Aware I'm a bit late on this but genuinely interested in what people on here think.

Saw this interview earlier from a few months back about why Elvis stayed down south and the bridges he'd burnt up in Scotland due to the clubs he'd played for, of course he specifically referenced his experience at Hearts during the turbulent 05/06 season. I know he divides our support a little but I was fairly shocked he hadn't been asked back to Tynecastle in an y capacity after all these years. I wonder if it's fear of him being booed or not being welcome by some sections of the support.

Is most of the negativity towards him over the infamous Celtic celebration? or is there more to it that I am not remembering? My personal opinion is he was trying to steer the club through a time when things were absolutely mad behind the scenes. I am sure he supported players and was looking out for the interests of the club, who in that season, could have achieved the unthinkable had Romanov not intervened in the way that he did.  He led by example and was one of the best captains we have had in recent times, lifting a cup in the process. Even if that celebration didn't sit well (which I completely recognise), the lasting memory of this guy is overwhelmingly a positive one.

I'd quite like to see him back at Tynecastle in some capacity and his achievements recognised.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• Sir PH

• Pasquale for King

Thunder and Lightning

Vlad wasn't at the chest thumping game so it wasn't directed to him.  It was simply an attempt to ingratiate himself with the tramps from the west.

He has had ample opportunity to explain said action but clearly never felt the need once we stopped paying his wages.

Rhat.

chrisyboy7
3 minutes ago, Perrykitch said:

Aware I'm a bit late on this but genuinely interested in what people on here think.

Saw this interview earlier from a few months back about why Elvis stayed down south and the bridges he'd burnt up in Scotland due to the clubs he'd played for, of course he specifically referenced his experience at Hearts during the turbulent 05/06 season. I know he divides our support a little but I was fairly shocked he hadn't been asked back to Tynecastle in an y capacity after all these years. I wonder if it's fear of him being booed or not being welcome by some sections of the support.

Is most of the negativity towards him over the infamous Celtic celebration? or is there more to it that I am not remembering? My personal opinion is he was trying to steer the club through a time when things were absolutely mad behind the scenes. I am sure he supported players and was looking out for the interests of the club, who in that season, could have achieved the unthinkable had Romanov not intervened in the way that he did.  He led by example and was one of the best captains we have had in recent times, lifting a cup in the process. Even if that celebration didn't sit well (which I completely recognise), the lasting memory of this guy is overwhelmingly a positive one.

I'd quite like to see him back at Tynecastle in some capacity and his achievements recognised.

He should definitely be asked back 

RedStarRiot

One of the best captains and defenders in my life time. 

He should be a legend but that celebration really tainted his legacy. 

Don’t care what anyone says he is a Hearts captain cup winning legend.

Don’t agree with what he done at the Celtic game but we’ve all done things in heat of the moment 

He was treated very badly from an egomaniac lunatic. We were a complete shit show from top to bottom.

Edited by Chaps

kingantti1874

Only had himself to blame.  Signing for Celtic isn’t the problem his attitude was.

He won’t be invited becuase he will get abuse.

such a shame, great player for us and a great captain tarnished by a moment of madness. 

His chest pumping at tynie whilst wearing a celtic shirt was a serious lack of judgement.  I knew Steven personally through a freind nice guy but kinda made a boob by doing that but his own fault and sure he looks back and regrets that specially as he was a Rangers fan as a kid 😉

was great player and had the balls to call out Romanov Circus  Steven is not shy when it comes to his football opinions lol.

I have got over that incident now so happily see club captain and cup hero back at tynie .

Edited by jtkb

Hashimoto

Former Hearts captain and part of one of the best Hearts teams to play in modern times. Deserves our respect despite that momentary brain fart.

Let's welcome him back into the fold, let bygones be bygones.

His position of he doesn't know why is a little odd. Fans broadly speaking have an issue with him. If he made an apology about the chest beating celebration and expressed regret about the whole sorry episode, I think that would go a long way. Paul Hartley moved to Celtic too (likewise Gordon) and both have zero issues from supporters because of the way they conducted themselves at that club when at Tynie or playing against Hearts. 

Did he do anything during our administration ? - I'm sure we saw former players getting involved etc. 

With the 150th anniversary stuff coming up over the next 11 months (I assume?) there may be an opportunity to mend those fences. I think it would be a great idea to do some media stuff with as many former captains and managers still alive and document their experiences and memories of the club. 

He's a cup winning captain so should be lauded as a hero, but he's made himself a polarising figure. 

Its an interesting alternative reality though, if he'd accepted the assistant manager gig that Valdas offered him, who knows what the following seasons might have been like - think Vlad was petty enough to oust him purely for rejecting the offer. Could very well have cemented his legacy as a club legend. 

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Don’t care what anyone says he is a Hearts captain cup winning legend.

Don’t agree with what he done at the Celtic game but we’ve all done things in heat of the moment 

We were being run by an egomaniac lunatic at the time. We were a complete shit show from top to bottom.

Thats where I am.

I understand the anger from the Celtic game incident, but I dont agree with the length of the grudge people hold against him for that. Its clear from everything that has come out about Hearts under Romanov that Pressley was right with the concerns. Would I have wanted him to do an open press conference, not really but its clear they thought it could improve things at Hearts, obviously it only led to further problems.

For almost all of the first half of 2000s, Pressley was Mr. Hearts, the embodiment of what we wanted at the club, a fantastic leader, an unmoveable defender and passionate. He is only 1 of 3 captains that have lifted the cup in my life time, Zal is rightfully immortalised, Fulton (and Locke even if he did not play on the day) will always have a special place at Hearts.

I am not going suggest that everyone should love him again, I doubt some will ever forgive him, but I do think he should be invited back at Tynecastle. 

He’s been in and around tynecastle a few times but dunno why, me and a good mate of mine clocked him In one of the lounges and walked In to get a photo way him and Kirk. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

His position of he doesn't know why is a little odd. Fans broadly speaking have an issue with him. If he made an apology about the chest beating celebration and expressed regret about the whole sorry episode, I think that would go a long way. Paul Hartley moved to Celtic too (likewise Gordon) and both have zero issues from supporters because of the way they conducted themselves at that club when at Tynie or playing against Hearts. 

Did he do anything during our administration ? - I'm sure we saw former players getting involved etc. 

With the 150th anniversary stuff coming up over the next 11 months (I assume?) there may be an opportunity to mend those fences. I think it would be a great idea to do some media stuff with as many former captains and managers still alive and document their experiences and memories of the club. 

He's a cup winning captain so should be lauded as a hero, but he's made himself a polarising figure. 

Its an interesting alternative reality though, if he'd accepted the assistant manager gig that Valdas offered him, who knows what the following seasons might have been like - think Vlad was petty enough to oust him purely for rejecting the offer. Could very well have cemented his legacy as a club legend. 

Brilliant idea about all living captains we should contact club and do some event as part of celebrations.

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Only had himself to blame.  Signing for Celtic isn’t the problem his attitude was.

such a shame, great player for us and a great captain tarnished by a moment of madness. 

He was badly advised in moving to Celtic,  it created a tinderbox as the fans felt betrayed. He then poured petrol and lit the match with his behaviour. He misjudged the anger and feeling of betrayal, Hartley got away with it because we got half decent money for him, and he was just more quiet and respectful. But even he got a fairly lukewarm reception one time when I happened to be in the Gorgie suite he was invited.

It should be known by any player, from Steven Pressley to John Souttar, if you ditch us go up the M8 for money, you really will never be welcome back in the Hearts family. Its a 1 way ticket. We genuinely absolutely despise those 2 clubs. Even Craig Gordon got a very lukewarm initial reception but was fortunate that he had the chance to win back the fans through performance. And he’d gone to celtic 10 years after he left us not direct. Retired players don’t get that chance. So don’t have a go at us, Steven, have Celtic invited you back ? Go and enjoy Celtic hospitality, you’re well liked by Celtic fans for getting it up the Hearts fans the way you did. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Until he actually shows remorse for the chest thumping I’m afraid cup winning captain or not, his legacy will be forever  tarnished. It’s a pity. I loved him as a player and as a captain. 

JamboJoker98

One of the best defenders and captains I've seen, going back to the 90's and a nice guy to boot. Will always respect him and be grateful for that. For me and my family there's zero resentment about the Riccarton 3, we all understand the club was a shambles.

However, the chest thumping incident was disrespectful and annoyed me at the time. On balance I've given up caring about it to be honest and just remember how much I enjoyed him as a player. So I understand why the chest thumping incident has alienated a good portion of the support. I'm not even sure he remembers the incident or has acknowledged it, let alone apologised for the error in judgement. For what it's worth I don't think he's the type to ever do that anyway.

Personally would like to see an olive branch of an appearance but not sure enough in the support would.

Some situations it's just best to let sleeping dogs lie

Generally fans are like children when it comes to things like this. Elvis was a fantastic player and captain for us. He was a huge part of the success we had during that time. The best captain in my lifetime anyway. 

But an ill-advised 10 second celebration when he was at another club is apparently enough to completely negate the previous 8 years. 

I remember when Gordon was at Celtic there were literally dozens of threads on here slating his behaviour and actions. Basically for not throwing the ball in his own net whilst giving the middle finger to the Celtic fans. Grown men calling him Ghordon etc. Embarrassing. 

Gorgiewave

Most Hearts players don't support Hearts and are interested in a successful career at whatever club. They generally aren't "one of us" and we shouldn't expect them to be.

Mikey1874

He chose Celtic. Though don't know if he's been back there or attends Celtic fan events.

Others have navigated it much better. John Colquhoun is a massive Celtic fan. But he still comes across very well talking about Hearts and has engaged very well with fans including chatting on X/Twitter.

Craig Gordon is club captain after 6 years at Celtic.

AGoodLaugh
5 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Most Hearts players don't support Hearts and are interested in a successful career at whatever club. They generally aren't "one of us" and we shouldn't expect them to be.

Which is completely fine; but if he isn't "one of us" and is just interested in what is best for his career, then why does he expect he should be invited back and fussed over? It cuts both ways. 

9 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Generally fans are like children when it comes to things like this. Elvis was a fantastic player and captain for us. He was a huge part of the success we had during that time. The best captain in my lifetime anyway. 

But an ill-advised 10 second celebration when he was at another club is apparently enough to completely negate the previous 8 years. 

I remember when Gordon was at Celtic there were literally dozens of threads on here slating his behaviour and actions. Basically for not throwing the ball in his own net whilst giving the middle finger to the Celtic fans. Grown men calling him Ghordon etc. Embarrassing. 

Spot on.  People neglect also to add in the fact he was booed from the start that game and plenty abuse before the chest pump.  Grown adults booing a player and then greetin' about it when they get some back always baffles me, especially for a player who gave so much to the club.

3 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

Which is completely fine; but if he isn't "one of us" and is just interested in what is best for his career, then why does he expect he should be invited back and fussed over? It cuts both ways. 

Plenty players get invited back that aren't Hearts supporters let alone a Scottish Cup winning Captain and hero. 

There folk on here that call Vlad a legend. We were minutes away from going out of business and made our club a laughing stock at times.

17 years later and folk still hold a grudge over a stupid celebration.

It hurt at the time but he was a wonderful player, captain and servant to our club.

been here before

Rhat ✔️

Snake ✔️

Cup winning captain ✔️

Chest thumping ✔️

Club legend ✔️

Great defender ✔️

It must be a Steven Pressley thread. Umpteen pages of empty vessels regurgitating the same shite they've done for years...

Malinga the Swinga

He's a captain of a Hearts cup winning team and is a legend. 

He should be welcomed back by all of our support but because he went to Celtic, he upset some of our small minded delicate support who wouldn't have cared how he celebrated had he gone to Sevco. 

Thunder and Lightning
Just now, been here before said:

Rhat ✔️

Snake ✔️

Cup winning captain ✔️

Chest thumping ✔️

Club legend ✔️

Great defender ✔️

It must be a Steven Pressley thread. Umpteen pages of empty vessels regurgitating the same shite they've done for years...

Oi  this is my first time, if i'd have known this was a bingo opportunity i'd have included more!!! 😃

Mikey1874
7 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

He just has to explain himself. He could say he got carried away and after the hassle he got being dropped by Romanov etc it was a reaction to that. 

But I think he's too arrogant to 'apologise' and from listening to him too stupid. 

Chuck Berry
43 minutes ago, Perrykitch said:

Well said, always be a legend in my eyes.

Chuck Berry
26 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He was badly advised in moving to Celtic,  it created a tinderbox as the fans felt betrayed. He then poured petrol and lit the match with his behaviour. He misjudged the anger and feeling of betrayal, Hartley got away with it because we got half decent money for him, and he was just more quiet and respectful. But even he got a fairly lukewarm reception one time when I happened to be in the Gorgie suite he was invited.

It should be known by any player, from Steven Pressley to John Souttar, if you ditch us go up the M8 for money, you really will never be welcome back in the Hearts family. Its a 1 way ticket. We genuinely absolutely despise those 2 clubs. Even Craig Gordon got a very lukewarm initial reception but was fortunate that he had the chance to win back the fans through performance. And he’d gone to celtic 10 years after he left us not direct. Retired players don’t get that chance. So don’t have a go at us, Steven, have Celtic invited you back ? Go and enjoy Celtic hospitality, you’re well liked by Celtic fans for getting it up the Hearts fans the way you did. 

:vrface:

Central Belt 1874

I think this topic comes up from time to time. 

It wasn't just his actions that day playing for Celtic. 

He came back with Falkirk after that and was a disgrace on that occasion too. 

I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was giving 100% for the team paying his wages and emotion got tbe better of him.... but as others have said above, he's had ample opportunity to explain himself. Which he hasn't. 

Disappointing as he was an excellent defender of 10 years and a cup wining captain. 

He was amazing but the chest thumping was weird. He is a legend to me but I have questions over the chest thumping.

SectionDJambo

He was a great captain for Hearts. Inspirational and a cup winner.

When Hearts released him, in the wake of the Riccarton 3 press conference, to my mind he had the right to go wherever he wanted to continue his career. I don't think that many of us blamed him for going to Celtic, but rather the management of Hearts for creating the situation.

However, that game against Celtic was a disaster for his relationship with the vast majority of Hearts fans. Firstly, I believe he was set up by Strachan making him Celtic captain for the day. He wasn't normally their captain. It was a, succesful, attempt to wind us up. In a vain attempt to get Celtic fans to like him, which was never going to happen permanently, he celebrating wildly with them at the end of the game. He must have known how frustrated and angry Hearts fans were at the way our club was lurching from one embarrassing Romanov event to another. We were already at our wits end before he behaved like that in front of us, at our own stadium. Ill advised doesn't begin to describe it. We felt betrayed by a hero of our club. Football fans, anywhere, don't find it easy to forgive being kicked by one of their own when they're already down.

A simple apology, even after all this time, would be appreciated. We all do things thst we regret. Maybe he doesn't regret that day. We're not likely to find out.

Ron Burgundy

I'm sure he said after winning the Scottish cup with Celtic it was better than winning it with Hearts. 

AGoodLaugh
3 minutes ago, May98 said:

Plenty players get invited back that aren't Hearts supporters let alone a Scottish Cup winning Captain and hero. 

Absolutely - and they've all conducted themselves gracefully when they moved on from Hearts. My point in reply to the previous poster is that just because a player isn't a Hearts supporter doesn't mean the fans will/should excuse absolutely anything they do. 

AGoodLaugh
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He just has to explain himself. He could say he got carried away and after the hassle he got being dropped by Romanov etc it was a reaction to that. 

But I think he's too arrogant to 'apologise' and from listening to him too stupid. 

100%, I think him never addressing the actual issue of the celebration has made things much worse than they could have been. 

Agree with your last sentence unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I'm sure he said after winning the Scottish cup with Celtic it was better than winning it with Hearts. 

Every week, we ask our Twitter and Facebook followers to come up with their own questions for Sky Blues leader Steven Pressley.

Dale Hayward asked : “What was the best moment of your career?”

Steven Pressley replied : “The highlight was probably lifting the Scottish Cup with Hearts. I experienced it at the Old Firm with them it’s the norm to win trophies – it’s extra special at a provincial club which is something Coventry fans experienced in ‘87.

“I had been at the club over eight years at that time and was the captain, and winning it was a very special day. The streets of Edinburgh were filled the following day for the parade, so it was a very special moment for me and one that will stay with me for the rest of my days.”

7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

He's a captain of a Hearts cup winning team and is a legend. 

He should be welcomed back by all of our support but because he went to Celtic, he upset some of our small minded delicate support who wouldn't have cared how he celebrated had he gone to Sevco. 

Don't actually care that it was Celtic, they way he celebrated was a massive FU to the fans that had supported, no idolised him for years.

He's shown zero regret for it and even more recently when he's sporadically done pundit work he's been very, very quick to put the boot into Hearts. 

It's sad because as I said, he WAS idolised at Tynecastle, now he's just a blowhard and failed manager that's an irrelevance to our great club.

2 minutes ago, AGoodLaugh said:

Absolutely - and they've all conducted themselves gracefully when they moved on from Hearts. My point in reply to the previous poster is that just because a player isn't a Hearts supporter doesn't mean the fans will/should excuse absolutely anything they do. 

What players have came back to Tynie, booed from when the team lines are read out to every touch of the ball then not celebrated when the team he plays for scores or wins?

People are acting like he shat on a top in the centre circle or something mad.  He took abuse he gave it back when they won.  Need to build a bridge, Romanov almost killed the club and people pine for his return ffs. 

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Don't actually care that it was Celtic, they way he celebrated was a massive FU to the fans that had supported, no idolised him for years.

He's shown zero regret for it and even more recently when he's sporadically done pundit work he's been very, very quick to put the boot into Hearts. 

It's sad because as I said, he WAS idolised at Tynecastle, now he's just a blowhard and failed manager that's an irrelevance to our great club.

He was given absolute pelters from the support that day, from before the game even started.  Why?  Because of the team he was playing for imo.   

48 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Well put.

Non-abusive comment - and hit the target perfectly.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, May98 said:

He was given absolute pelters from the support that day, from before the game even started.  Why?  Because of the team he was playing for imo.   

As I said, going to Celtic was already a tinderbox situation. But his behaviour was pouring petrol on it and lighting a match.

A misjudgement, but misjudgements have consequences. And in his case they’ve been long lasting consequences. 

He got it up the Hearts support by celebrating with chest bumps and roars . It was not aimed at Romanov who was not even in attendance . He gave an interview on the football phone in a few years later when he was going to be part of some charity match . He was asked about whether he had any regrets about it and he doubled down and was defiant about doing it and not at all complimentary about the Hearts supporters . He is a snakey ***** imo

While he played for us he was an absolutely excellent player and captain 

AGoodLaugh
2 minutes ago, May98 said:

What players have came back to Tynie, booed from when the team lines are read out to every touch of the ball then not celebrated when the team he plays for scores or wins?

People are acting like he shat on a top in the centre circle or something mad.  He took abuse he gave it back when they won.  Need to build a bridge, Romanov almost killed the club and people pine for his return ffs. 

I did not boo him, I do not pine for the return of Romanov, and in my opinion his over the top chest thumping was a very deliberate attempt to ingratiate himself to the Celtic fans in front of the fans who used to idolise him and, as he knew better than most, were hurting from the actions of an owner who was taking the club towards disaster. I'm struggling to think of a player who has been invited back to Tynie after doing that? 

Anyway, whether it's right or wrong the reason he hasn't been invited back is because it would divide fan opinion; as we can see in this thread. No competent ownership is going to organise it any time soon and he needs to accept that. 

John Findlay

Like Pressley himself, I don't lose sleep over it.

Only one of eight men in 150 years to have lifted the Scottish Cup.

Jack Torrance
11 minutes ago, May98 said:

Every week, we ask our Twitter and Facebook followers to come up with their own questions for Sky Blues leader Steven Pressley.

Dale Hayward asked : “What was the best moment of your career?”

Steven Pressley replied : “The highlight was probably lifting the Scottish Cup with Hearts. I experienced it at the Old Firm with them it’s the norm to win trophies – it’s extra special at a provincial club which is something Coventry fans experienced in ‘87.

“I had been at the club over eight years at that time and was the captain, and winning it was a very special day. The streets of Edinburgh were filled the following day for the parade, so it was a very special moment for me and one that will stay with me for the rest of my days.”

Clearly doesn't understand what provincial means.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

He got it up the Hearts support by celebrating with chest bumps and roars . It was not aimed at Romanov who was not even in attendance . He gave an interview on the football phone in a few years later when he was going to be part of some charity match . He was asked about whether he had any regrets about it and he doubled down and was defiant about doing it and not at all complimentary about the Hearts supporters . He is a snakey ***** imo

While he played for us he was an absolutely excellent player and captain 

He's given various different points of view on that day

He either enjoyed it "I thoroughly enjoyed the occasion," said Pressley, who remained largely on the periphery of this scrappy encounter. "I got a very warm welcome from both sets of supporters and I am absolutely delighted, Tynecastle is always a difficult place to come. We showed the character and spirit which has made this club so successful by coming from a goal behind."

or 

he got pelters and doesn't know why he's not been asked back “I was booed every touch of the ball I had so it was a little bit hurtful because I knew everything I’d given to that club. And do you know what is even more hurtful? I have been away from that football club for, I don’t know, 14 years and I’ve never been invited back. I’ve no idea why, but it’s an element that does disappoint me.”

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

He's given various different points of view on that day

He either enjoyed it "I thoroughly enjoyed the occasion," said Pressley, who remained largely on the periphery of this scrappy encounter. "I got a very warm welcome from both sets of supporters and I am absolutely delighted, Tynecastle is always a difficult place to come. We showed the character and spirit which has made this club so successful by coming from a goal behind."

or 

he got pelters and doesn't know why he's not been asked back “I was booed every touch of the ball I had so it was a little bit hurtful because I knew everything I’d given to that club. And do you know what is even more hurtful? I have been away from that football club for, I don’t know, 14 years and I’ve never been invited back. I’ve no idea why, but it’s an element that does disappoint me.”

I believe that is what you call ‘ speaking with a forked tongue ‘