Steven Pressley interview

Perrykitch

Jack Torrance
1 minute ago, Ribble said:

He's given various different points of view on that day

He either enjoyed it "I thoroughly enjoyed the occasion," said Pressley, who remained largely on the periphery of this scrappy encounter. "I got a very warm welcome from both sets of supporters and I am absolutely delighted, Tynecastle is always a difficult place to come. We showed the character and spirit which has made this club so successful by coming from a goal behind."

or 

he got pelters and doesn't know why he's not been asked back “I was booed every touch of the ball I had so it was a little bit hurtful because I knew everything I’d given to that club. And do you know what is even more hurtful? I have been away from that football club for, I don’t know, 14 years and I’ve never been invited back. I’ve no idea why, but it’s an element that does disappoint me.”

Must be a bit thick if he doesn't know why he's never been invited back.

Like others have said, great captain and leader with us but his antics that day destroyed everything. If he came out with some genuine remorse and regret, it might change but I won't lose any sleep over it, if he doesnt.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• Sir PH

• Pasquale for King

Ron Burgundy
15 minutes ago, May98 said:

Every week, we ask our Twitter and Facebook followers to come up with their own questions for Sky Blues leader Steven Pressley.

Dale Hayward asked : “What was the best moment of your career?”

Steven Pressley replied : “The highlight was probably lifting the Scottish Cup with Hearts. I experienced it at the Old Firm with them it’s the norm to win trophies – it’s extra special at a provincial club which is something Coventry fans experienced in ‘87.

“I had been at the club over eight years at that time and was the captain, and winning it was a very special day. The streets of Edinburgh were filled the following day for the parade, so it was a very special moment for me and one that will stay with me for the rest of my days.”

I must have dreamt that then 😄

I don't mind the guy so if he came back it wouldn't throw me into a hissy fit.

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

He either enjoyed it "I thoroughly enjoyed the occasion," said Pressley, who remained largely on the periphery of this scrappy encounter. "I got a very warm welcome from both sets of supporters and I am absolutely delighted, Tynecastle is always a difficult place to come. We showed the character and spirit which has made this club so successful by coming from a goal behind."

or 

he got pelters and doesn't know why he's not been asked back “I was booed every touch of the ball I had so it was a little bit hurtful because I knew everything I’d given to that club. And do you know what is even more hurtful? I have been away from that football club for, I don’t know, 14 years and I’ve never been invited back. I’ve no idea why, but it’s an element that does disappoint me.”

On that 2nd paragraph, if he said that , he was an absolute liar, I was there and during the warm ups, he was being applauded by a number of fans in the Wheatfield and he looked up & didn’t even acknowledge the applause. I certainly didn’t hear booing from my seat in section D, that’s not to say it didn’t happen, but he certainly never got booed every touch of the ball.

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thats where I am.

I understand the anger from the Celtic game incident, but I dont agree with the length of the grudge people hold against him for that. Its clear from everything that has come out about Hearts under Romanov that Pressley was right with the concerns. Would I have wanted him to do an open press conference, not really but its clear they thought it could improve things at Hearts, obviously it only led to further problems.

For almost all of the first half of 2000s, Pressley was Mr. Hearts, the embodiment of what we wanted at the club, a fantastic leader, an unmoveable defender and passionate. He is only 1 of 3 captains that have lifted the cup in my life time, Zal is rightfully immortalised, Fulton (and Locke even if he did not play on the day) will always have a special place at Hearts.

I am not going suggest that everyone should love him again, I doubt some will ever forgive him, but I do think he should be invited back at Tynecastle. 

This.

Frank Sidebottom

He couldn’t help himself that day and relished being the centre of attention.  I recall that wee dick Strachan even made him captain. 

Seem to recall he unnecessarily ran half the length of the pitch to ensure he was seen to be celebrating at one of their goals.  This was even before the chest thumping nonsense. 

Had he just quietly played the game and acted respectfully towards the fans who had idolised him for years, he’d have been welcomed back a long time ago and might even been given the manager’s job at one point. 

1 minute ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

He couldn’t help himself that day and relished being the centre of attention.  I recall that wee dick Strachan even made him captain. 

Seem to recall he unnecessarily ran half the length of the pitch to ensure he was seen to be celebrating at one of their goals.  This was even before the chest thumping nonsense. 

Had he just quietly played the game and acted respectfully towards the fans who had idolised him for years, he’d have been welcomed back a long time ago and might even been given the manager’s job at one point. 

Exactly . A lot of revisionism happening here 

fabienleclerq

Best Hearts captain in my lifetime I reckon.

He can also **** right off. To behave the way he did he deserves any stick he gets. The disrespect he showed the fans that day I wouldn't welcome him back in any capacity. 

8 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Ledge.

This. 

Grown men who spend their days booing and abusing players covered in tears and snotters over a chest thump not even aimed at them. :rofl:

Life is too short guys, let it go. 

1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

Best Hearts captain in my lifetime I reckon.

He can also **** right off. To behave the way he did he deserves any stick he gets. The disrespect he showed the fans that day I wouldn't welcome him back in any capacity. 

What came first, the booing or the chest thump ? 

1 hour ago, Perrykitch said:

Aware I'm a bit late on this but genuinely interested in what people on here think.

Saw this interview earlier from a few months back about why Elvis stayed down south and the bridges he'd burnt up in Scotland due to the clubs he'd played for, of course he specifically referenced his experience at Hearts during the turbulent 05/06 season. I know he divides our support a little but I was fairly shocked he hadn't been asked back to Tynecastle in an y capacity after all these years. I wonder if it's fear of him being booed or not being welcome by some sections of the support.

Is most of the negativity towards him over the infamous Celtic celebration? or is there more to it that I am not remembering? My personal opinion is he was trying to steer the club through a time when things were absolutely mad behind the scenes. I am sure he supported players and was looking out for the interests of the club, who in that season, could have achieved the unthinkable had Romanov not intervened in the way that he did.  He led by example and was one of the best captains we have had in recent times, lifting a cup in the process. Even if that celebration didn't sit well (which I completely recognise), the lasting memory of this guy is overwhelmingly a positive one.

I'd quite like to see him back at Tynecastle in some capacity and his achievements recognised.

:pleasing:

Clerry Jambo
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

This. 

Grown men who spend their days booing and abusing players covered in tears and snotters over a chest thump not even aimed at them. :rofl:

Life is too short guys, let it go. 

100%

stevie1874
1 hour ago, Chaps said:

Don’t care what anyone says he is a Hearts captain cup winning legend.

Don’t agree with what he done at the Celtic game but we’ve all done things in heat of the moment 

He was treated very badly from an egomaniac lunatic. We were a complete shit show from top to bottom.

Played & captained our club, was paid well and eventually got a move to Celtic like Hartley did. One of them acted in a proper manner when he too to the field at Tynecastle the other felt the  need to act like an arsehole. Don’t know how he was treated any different to all the other players under Romanov and his bank balance certainly benefitted. 

fabienleclerq
Just now, Dazo said:

What came first, the booing or the chest thump ? 

I was sitting in section G and don't remember him getting much if any stick tbh. If there was a little booing so what? He moved from Hearts to Celtic what do you expect?

If he'd just played the game and ****ed off after we'd be talking about how he was one of,if not our best captain. 

11 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

On that 2nd paragraph, if he said that , he was an absolute liar, I was there and during the warm ups, he was being applauded by a number of fans in the Wheatfield and he looked up & didn’t even acknowledge the applause. I certainly didn’t hear booing from my seat in section D, that’s not to say it didn’t happen, but he certainly never got booed every touch of the ball.

100%
I went in specifically to applaud Pressley when he came out for the warm up as did many others. He never really acknowledged the Hearts fans at all that day, until the chest thumping. I couldn’t care less now whether he’s invited back or not. I’d probably happily finish my kebab pie on the concourse before I’d take my seat early to welcome him back. 
Thanks for your service but you had the chance to acknowledge our gratitude. Irrelevant now, which is sad for a Scottish Cup winning captain. 

19 minutes ago, Ribble said:

or 

His 2nd paragraph is how I remember it. At the time there was a feeling that he orchestrated the 'Riccarton 3' and was, in part, to engineer a move to the old firm. 

Whether or not this was true, he was most definitely booed by some sections of the support that day and his chest pump was almost certainly a GIRUY to those fans.

1 hour ago, Chaps said:

Don’t care what anyone says he is a Hearts captain cup winning legend.

Don’t agree with what he done at the Celtic game but we’ve all done things in heat of the moment 

He was treated very badly from an egomaniac lunatic. We were a complete shit show from top to bottom.

Spot on.

Ever heard Paul Ritchie speaking nowadays ? Explains his reasons for moving on but expresses his regret at how it came about . Talks very well and has a genuine affection for the club . Ritchie never acted like a dick on the pitch either like Pressley did , although he never had the chance to , it is obvious he would not have disrespected the fans that way . Pressley has never once expressed any regret for his actions that day . He is too arrogant and self absorbed to do so . **** him 

Bunny Munro

From my memory he didn't get a great reception when he came back playing for Celtic, even before the chest thump. He made the situation worse by the way he behaved. He should and easily could have mended the bridges with most fans but hasn't. I wonder if he's even a FoH member. 

To say he's not been invited back is just false, he was back for Neilsons testimonial, and got a great reception that day.

Just now, fabienleclerq said:

I was sitting in section G and don't remember him getting much if any stick tbh. If there was a little booing so what? He moved from Hearts to Celtic what do you expect?

If he'd just played the game and ****ed off after we'd be talking about how he was one of,if not our best captain. 

There was shitloads of booing. No problem with that but ffs is he not entitled to give a bit back ? Why should he just take it after the service he gave us ? 

fabienleclerq
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

There was shitloads of booing. No problem with that but ffs is he not entitled to give a bit back ? Why should he just take it after the service he gave us ? 

He can do what he wants.

He can't however expect the fans or club to welcome him back. I never booed him at all until the bullshit at the end of the game. 

2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

He can do what he wants.

He can't however expect the fans or club to welcome him back. I never booed him at all until the bullshit at the end of the game. 

Some fans won’t welcome him back, their choice. The less fragile ones won’t be losing much sleep over it either way. 

julienbrellier

Agree with the OP's sentiment, lots of time has passed now and it's time to let go of all the snake stuff. I can confirm that it was in fact 1 celebration that has led to some hating the guy seemingly even to this day. I think most do look back positively. Can 1 celebration undo years of service to the club? I really don't think so. Heat of the moment thing.  Would like to see him back involved in some of the 150 year celebration stuff.

Proper Captain! 
Im well over the celebration because I’m an adult! Bigger things in life to worry about! 

fabienleclerq
Just now, Dazo said:

Some fans won’t welcome him back, their choice. The less fragile ones won’t be losing much sleep over it either way. 

Nobody will lose sleep over him, he acted like a ***** and would likely get the same if he returns. 

stevie1874
1 minute ago, fabienleclerq said:

Nobody will lose sleep over him, he acted like a ***** and would likely get the same if he returns. 

Exactly the only person who would likely be losing sleep over the situation would be the man himself. Wouldn’t rush to boo him if he came on the pitch at half time,  but wouldn’t see the point in the club asking someone who they probably know is not very popular back to the club. 

An outstanding Captain at Hearts during some of the most tumultuous times for our club, pre Romanov. Was a rock in defense and should have been revered as a Scottish Cup winning legend. Blotted his copy book with the chest pumping stuff at Tynie, which was simply to try and endear himself with the great unwashed that wouldn't take to him due to his time with us and Der Huns. 

We really should be long past it all, but some grudges are more difficult to bridge with different folks. As others have mentioned, an apology would be a start. 

Great servant to the club and brilliant leader

Cup winning captain

Snake for the chest thump

Idiot for refusing to apologise or acknowledge that it was a heat of the moment silly move 

If he apologised I'm sure many would have forgiven him. 

He won't because he's too stubborn, and some of our fans are too even if he did.

This topic on big Elvis has been done to death on here and the same points made each time. Always going to divide opinion no matter what but doesn't deserve an invitation back here until he recognises or shows any type of regret for disrespecting the club and fans. The way he acts like he's completely clueless as to why he's disliked or unwelcome is what annoys a lot of us I think.

8 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Some people acted like a ***** to him first though yeah ? 

Anyway it’s done to death and haven’t given the guy or the chest thump a moments thought for a very long time. 

2 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Exactly the only person who would likely be losing sleep over the situation would be the man himself. Wouldn’t rush to boo him if he came on the pitch at half time,  but wouldn’t see the point in the club asking someone who they probably know is not very popular back to the club. 

Yeah I would be taking the PR Bar half time option rather than rushing back to hear him . Would not boo him either but really have no interest in listening to him speaking like he is having to translate every word in to a second language in his head before opening his mouth . What would he even have to say that was worth listening to ? Not like he could stand there and go on about how much he loves the fans or the club after acting like such a ***** ? The crowd would probably start laughing . If it bothers him so much not being asked back then he probably needs to try and build some bridges with the support first but his arrogance and ego prevent him from doing that 

11 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

What doesn’t he just buy a ticket.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ex member of the SaS

One of my all time favourite players until the chest thump and when he grabbed the ball and conned the ref into changing his mind about the penalty.

Never want to see him back in any capacity.

1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

One of my all time favourite players until the chest thump and when he grabbed the ball and conned the ref into changing his mind about the penalty.

Never want to see him back in any capacity.

When he returned with Falkirk ? That was a joke too 

Bull's-eye

Nobody at the club currently worthy of a good spagging off.

Lets put the boot intae the Shnake.

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

When he returned with Falkirk ? That was a joke too 

My memory is not good enough to remember which game it was but I do distinctly remember the incident. Was ragin' at the time.

Boris5115
2 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Vlad wasn't at the chest thumping game so it wasn't directed to him.  It was simply an attempt to ingratiate himself with the tramps from the west.

He has had ample opportunity to explain said action but clearly never felt the need once we stopped paying his wages.

Rhat.

I do believe Elvis has admitted that he made a mistake with his actions. Fantastic player and Captain for me. We all make mistakes in life. 

2 hours ago, RedStarRiot said:

One of the best captains and defenders in my life time. 

He should be a legend but that celebration really tainted his legacy. 

I know, it's stupid. One wee reckless gesture. Which is why it probably should be forgiven when weighed against everything he did for our club. But football fans normally don't think like that, sadly. Grudges are much more fun.

7 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

My memory is not good enough to remember which game it was but I do distinctly remember the incident. Was ragin' at the time.

Yeah it was right in front of me in section B I think . Ridiculous that he got away with that . An absolute trumpet of a boy 

Ex member of the SaS
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I know, it's stupid. One wee reckless gesture. Which is why it probably should be forgiven when weighed against everything he did for our club. But football fans normally don't think like that, sadly. Grudges are much more fun.

Sadly it was not the one instance though. Read my post above.

17 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

It was the Falkirk cup tie. Defender put Andy Driver up in the air and while Andy was flying towards the advertising boards the guy touched the ball. Stonewall penalty, so much so that even Dougie McDonald awarded it to Hearts. 
Pressley argued and argued that his full back had got the ball and the linesman changed McDonald’s mind (which wouldn’t have been hard, the Hibs *******).

Falkirk reached the final that year, iirc. 

Edited by Shaggy2

colinmorewasgash

Remember when he was at falkirk he wound the fans up again, basically getting ref and linesman to change mind over a goal telling them it was offside. Sure we lost 1 0 that day. SPH came back and even when they scored a few that day, he trudged back to centre circle, no chest thump or giruy, strapon then got him to take pen when they were coasting v us again to get it up us, you could see Paul didn't want to take it. He hardly missed pen yet it was awful pen miles past post. Still convinced he did it on purpose. Snakey can do one and is arrogant sod, Iam not anti sellick, my fav players were celtic men colquhoun and sph,  like so many others have said he was a legend. Sure when celtic let him go he was linked with wee team  and said he wouldn't have problem joining them but went to falkirk. Levein was rumoured to want him as manager when as dof but was told the fans wouldnt accept him who knows if that was true.

JimmyCant

I’d happily forgive him. But he’s long overdue  a public apology for the unnecessary offensive nonsense at Tynecastle which no one there will ever forget. It was insulting then. It’s still insulting. He was a dick. Hes still a dick.

colinmorewasgash

Maybe Falkirk it was pen he got overruled getting older lol. Mind at 55 isn't great anymore 

Bazzas right boot

Legend.

We have a few precious fans tho that got offended that one time.

He's boring as **** tho, he's that boring drying paint watches his interviews.

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Generally fans are like children when it comes to things like this. Elvis was a fantastic player and captain for us. He was a huge part of the success we had during that time. The best captain in my lifetime anyway. 

But an ill-advised 10 second celebration when he was at another club is apparently enough to completely negate the previous 8 years. 

I remember when Gordon was at Celtic there were literally dozens of threads on here slating his behaviour and actions. Basically for not throwing the ball in his own net whilst giving the middle finger to the Celtic fans. Grown men calling him Ghordon etc. Embarrassing. 

Exactly.

I mean, how dare a Hearts legend who used to play for Rangers say "yes" when approached by Celtic and offered a huge increase in his wages and the likelihood of more trophies  .... and then  celebrate scoring for Celtic in front of Hearts fans who had been giving him verbal abuse in the first place.

I was much more annoyed when he talked the ref & linesman into changing their decision in the Cup game against Falkirk at Tynecastle.

Maiden Gorgie
1 hour ago, Jack Torrance said:

Clearly doesn't understand what provincial means.

This, it rips my knitting when folk say this. All part of the weegie chip on the shoulder. It's almost ingrained.

As for Pressley himself - legend yes but let himself down and he can have no complaints as to how is treated by us now

I remember he won the toss of the coin that day and made us switch ends and shoot towards the Gorgie Stand in the first half, trying to get into our heads !!!

Unforgivable  

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Maiden Gorgie said:

This, it rips my knitting when folk say this. All part of the weegie chip on the shoulder. It's almost ingrained.

As for Pressley himself - legend yes but let himself down and he can have no complaints as to how is treated by us now

Correct. Especially gets on my tits when it a supposed trained journalist 

Edited by kingantti1874