Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

45 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

The thread is full of suggestions of players we might want to take a look at it try and get. It’s what the thread is all about surely ?

It is one part of the topic for sure . You surely recognise that there is a lot more to it than that though right ? Outgoing players , where we need to strengthen , how much we will have to spend ect ect 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

JimmyCant
11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It is one part of the topic for sure . You surely recognise that there is a lot more to it than that though right ? Outgoing players , where we need to strengthen , how much we will have to spend ect ect 

But it’s fine with you to discuss possible targets or a wish list ? Just checking because it’s not just me doing it

gar jambo
4 hours ago, OTT said:

I'm not sure, I think its a conversation that Naismith, Forrest & Savage would need to have. IMO its as simple as emphasising his minutes are going to be non-existant if he stays. 

I think he won a watch getting the move to us, his actual ability level is more aligned with a midtable side (better than Livi, worse than Hearts). At 27, he's in his prime, and I think the sensible thing to do would be to go where he's going to play. If that means we top up a portion of his wages or whatever, then fine. Whatever it takes to get the deal done. Killie are also not a diddy team, so would be a good move if he can get a 3/4 year contract. 

Doubt we would pay anything near £1 million for armstrong he's not an international  ! 

RustyRightPeg
Just now, gar jambo said:

Doubt we would pay anything near £1 million for armstrong he's not an international  ! 

Yet. He was in the press today, ROI have been tapping him up.

gar jambo
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Yet. He was in the press today, ROI have been tapping him up.

Well he's 26 and not had a cap he's only worth what the highest bid is 

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

Well he's 26 and not had a cap he's only worth what the highest bid is 

Players develop at different speeds. 

gar jambo
9 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Players develop at different speeds. 

But not with 1 million £500 k as he is not had a cap! 

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

But not with 1 million £500 k as he is not had a cap! 

Does not being an international mean you aren't allowed to be sold for over £1M?

If we took less than £1M for Frankie Kent today would you be happy with that? No you wouldn't.

MattyK82
29 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

Neither is, for example Cochrane but the club would be looking for around £2M for him.

gar jambo
4 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Neither is, for example Cochrane but the club would be looking for around £2M for him.

4 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Yes Cochrane a lot younger and Hearts his first big club after Brighton! Armstrong had a few clubs before killie! 

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Would love to see another Scottish player go to Serie A but I would be amazed if Fiorentina are looking at a player in the Scottish Championship. But that doesn't mean he is not worth us signing, something that if he has that potential may raise him up more.

I can’t say for definite they are but someone who knows the goings on at Dunfermline pretty told me. 

Also, Italian clubs are paying more to the Scottish leagues, BBC gossip column includes the below today - 

Kilmarnock striker Bobby Wales has emerged as a potential summer transfer target for both Torino and Venezia after the 18-year-old impressed with 13 goals in 24 appearances on loan to Alloa Athletic. (Football Scotland)

gar jambo
1 minute ago, gar jambo said:

Yes Cochrane a lot younger and Hearts his first big club after Brighton! Armstrong had a few clubs before killie! 

Mate he's had 40 games for raith and played for Ross county! And early in his career he done nowt he's not worth 1 million 

gar jambo
26 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Does not being an international mean you aren't allowed to be sold for over £1M?

If we took less than £1M for Frankie Kent today would you be happy with that? No you wouldn't.

Yes but Kent been down south him and Cochrane hardly going to get England caps! I'm saying Armstrong only just now getting spoken about a cap for his step brother being Irish 🤣

RustyRightPeg

Yes but Kent been down south him and Cochrane hardly going to get England caps! I'm saying Armstrong only just now getting spoken about a cap for his step brother being Irish 🤣

I just don't understand your logic.

Are you saying that because a player hasn't ever had the form they currently have...or they've had a certain number of previous clubs...or they're a certain age, that these factors should determine their value? 

gar jambo
6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I just don't understand your logic.

Are you saying that because a player hasn't ever had the form they currently have...or they've had a certain number of previous clubs...or they're a certain age, that these factors should determine their value? 

Correct 

RustyRightPeg
20 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

Correct 

😂 amazing.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

But it’s fine with you to discuss possible targets or a wish list ? Just checking because it’s not just me doing it

Not even sure what you are babbling about now tbh . I was just replying to your post that was inferring posts were off topic when they werent :lol: 

gar jambo
21 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

😂 amazing.

So how would you gauge say Dhand and Armstrong their worth! Tricky mick???? 

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, Chimp said:

Funny what a few months can do. Most on here had him as one of the first names on the team sheet and a guaranteed starter. Never been a big fan of Forrest but credited him when he was doing well. Looks like he might have just hit a wee purple patch though and nothing more as he's done very little since then and almost back to what he was like previously. Working hard but not really producing much. He'll be fine as a sub yeah but we absolutely need better.

Sorry to reply two pages back, but that's the way the xfer thread goes.

To me these aren't in conflict. Forrest was one of the first names on the team sheet because we were still struggling to generate chances and finish them if Larry wasn't involved. Forrest, limited though he is, was worth 3-5 decent balls into the box every game against non-OF opposition. Even if he put his head down and didn't see options, even if he got run into the end line, you knew what you were getting and we needed that reliability.

Some of that was McKay being out, of course. Cochrane and McKay have an understanding that was often more effective than having Forrest up there.

The point to me is we need to improve. Forrest is plenty good enough to play for Hearts but it's also a spot, like with Atkinson for me, where moving him from regular starter to bench player by getting someone better in front of him is the ideal.

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, gar jambo said:

So how would you gauge say Dhand and Armstrong their worth! Tricky mick???? 

Armstrong has had a better season than Dhanda so I’d say he’s worth more currently taking their contracts out the equation. I think Dhanda is brilliant by the way and will be a great signing for us. Armstrong could be a game changer however. 

Killie well within their rights to ask for 7 figures for him if they want.

gar jambo
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Armstrong has had a better season than Dhanda so I’d say he’s worth more currently taking their contracts out the equation. I think Dhanda is brilliant by the way and will be a great signing for us. Armstrong could be a game changer however. 

For one season Really! nope I don't think he's worth over 600 k! and if Dhanda becomes a successe for one season at Hearts will they be worth the same 7 Figures??? 

Another Robbo
5 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I’ve mentioned him before but I wonder if we are looking at Matty Todd (similar to Lyall Cameron) at Dunfermline. Heard rumours that Fiorentina are interested in him. 

I think it was one of the newly promoted Italian clubs (to Serie A) that were interested, but not Fiorentina, although that may have changed recently. I heard that late last year.

gar jambo
10 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

For one season Really! nope I don't think he's worth over 600 k! and if Dhanda becomes a successe for one season at Hearts will they be worth the same 7 Figures??? 

Mabae have the Right  to ask for 7 figures! But will they get it no! 

24 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Yeah they are. Same situation as with Shankland. 

Apparently they were after £600k in January though, even if that article was mince, exactly like Shankland he'll have lost value by being in the final 12 months of his deal (or he will be by the time the summer rolls round). 

If we offered £300-500k+ Forrest if they want him, I think that is a very, very reasonable offer. 

gar jambo
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah they are. Same situation as with Shankland. 

Apparently they were after £600k in January though, even if that article was mince, exactly like Shankland he'll have lost value by being in the final 12 months of his deal (or he will be by the time the summer rolls round). 

If we offered £300-500k+ Forrest if they want him, I think that is a very, very reasonable offer. 

Correct mate if they want him that is! 

Correct mate if they want him that is! 

Yeah, I mean if they want him/ he wants them etc. 

Genuinely think its a deal that suits everyone. Forrest could sign a 3/4 year deal there which gives him more security, he'll play there every week. McInnes replaces an excellent winger with a decent winger and gets some extra cash to spend (Findlay was only on loan, so that could help with that) and obviously we get a brilliant wee player that can help kick our attack onto the next level. 

I think Spittal is being very overlooked (myself included), a good number of assists and goals for Motherwell, so I think although I badly want us to get Armstrong, Spittal and Dhanda both very astute signings. 

I'm not trying to make it sound like we're doing Killie a favour, we're not. But as far as deals go, the finances for Killie, Motherwell etc. are a bit different than us, so mid 6 figures and a player that directly replaces who they're likely to be losing anyway be that now, or in 6-12 months AND also not having the headache of trying to find a replacement for him really doesn't seem like a bad deal. 

gar jambo
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah, I mean if they want him/ he wants them etc. 

Genuinely think its a deal that suits everyone. Forrest could sign a 3/4 year deal there which gives him more security, he'll play there every week. McInnes replaces an excellent winger with a decent winger and gets some extra cash to spend (Findlay was only on loan, so that could help with that) and obviously we get a brilliant wee player that can help kick our attack onto the next level. 

I think Spittal is being very overlooked (myself included), a good number of assists and goals for Motherwell, so I think although I badly want us to get Armstrong, Spittal and Dhanda both very astute signings. 

I'm not trying to make it sound like we're doing Killie a favour, we're not. But as far as deals go, the finances for Killie, Motherwell etc. are a bit different than us, so mid 6 figures and a player that directly replaces who they're likely to be losing anyway be that now, or in 6-12 months AND also not having the headache of trying to find a replacement for him really doesn't seem like a bad deal. 

Agreed 👍

Jamboross

Armstrong's contributions helped Killie avoid relegation last season and to get into Europe this season, unless someone pays what they want then I imagine they'll just let him run the contract down. Similar to us potentially keeping ahold of Shankland next season his contributions could be worth more to them than a cut-price transfer fee. I could see a lower Championship/upper League One level team coughing up the £1m fee if that's what it would take for Killie to sell though, he's more than capable of playing at that level and It's 2024, seven figure fees are not uncommon nor much of a risk to those teams.   

jamboinglasgow
3 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I can’t say for definite they are but someone who knows the goings on at Dunfermline pretty told me. 

Also, Italian clubs are paying more to the Scottish leagues, BBC gossip column includes the below today - 

Kilmarnock striker Bobby Wales has emerged as a potential summer transfer target for both Torino and Venezia after the 18-year-old impressed with 13 goals in 24 appearances on loan to Alloa Athletic. (Football Scotland)

Fair enough. As I say I would delighted to see another Scottish player go to Serie A (unless we want to sign them.)

But it is true that Italian clubs have been looking more towards Scottish football. The success of players like Liam Henderson, Aaron Hickey, Lewis Ferguson and Josh Doig has shown that their is bargains available for Italian clubs in signing players from here. Doesn't surprise me that they are looking at 18 year olds like Bobby Wales (their is also Rocco Vata at Celtic, who though declared for Ireland was born and raised in Scotland, who has been linked with a number of Italian clubs.)

gar jambo
2 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

Armstrong's contributions helped Killie avoid relegation last season and to get into Europe this season, unless someone pays what they want then I imagine they'll just let him run the contract down. Similar to us potentially keeping ahold of Shankland next season his contributions could be worth more to them than a cut-price transfer fee. I could see a lower Championship/upper League One level team coughing up the £1m fee if that's what it would take for Killie to sell though, he's more than capable of playing at that level and It's 2024, seven figure fees are not uncommon nor much of a risk to those teams.   

Then I think he will run his contact down! Just can't see it! Similar players Ginelly nisbit  ! Never cut it! Can't see him doing it in the championship  ! 

RustyRightPeg
6 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

Then I think he will run his contact down! Just can't see it! Similar players Ginelly nisbit  ! Never cut it! Can't see him doing it in the championship  ! 

Gino ruptured his Achilles at the start of the season 😂 hardly not cutting it

gar jambo

Gino ruptured his Achilles at the start of the season 😂 hardly not cutting it

Nisbet???? 

gar jambo

Nisbet???? 

And far better players than Armstrong back with the taid between their legs! 🤣

RustyRightPeg

Nisbet???? 

Don’t care he was nothing to do with us. 

LarrysRightFoot
15 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Fair enough. As I say I would delighted to see another Scottish player go to Serie A (unless we want to sign them.)

But it is true that Italian clubs have been looking more towards Scottish football. The success of players like Liam Henderson, Aaron Hickey, Lewis Ferguson and Josh Doig has shown that their is bargains available for Italian clubs in signing players from here. Doesn't surprise me that they are looking at 18 year olds like Bobby Wales (their is also Rocco Vata at Celtic, who though declared for Ireland was born and raised in Scotland, who has been linked with a number of Italian clubs.)

Whether or not they follow up on the interest is a different thing all together. I know he (Todd) is highly rated and I’d like to think we are aware of him. 

There will be bargains in the lower leagues and we’ve done well in that market in the past (there have been some misses of course) but it’d be good to get the next McCowan or Armstrong before they start to attract wider interest and their value gets to the top end of our budget. 

Re Vata, I’ve read Brenda say they want to keep him but he doesn’t seem to be giving him many chances despite their wingers having pretty poor seasons. 

gar jambo

Don’t care he was nothing to do with us. 

Example pal 800 k year left for a poor milwall side 

I cant post links for some reason. But there is a little bit on Dhanda in a Welsh newspaper from when he signed for Swansea . He really was very highly rated when he was a kid 

Worth a read if you can be bothered googling it 

gar jambo
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I cant post links for some reason. But there is a little bit on Dhanda in a Welsh newspaper from when he signed for Swansea . He really was very highly rated when he was a kid 

And still the age to turn it right around played at youth International level! 

And still the age to turn it right around played at youth International level! 

Yeah I have high hopes for the lad 

Jamboross
8 minutes ago, gar jambo said:

And far better players than Armstrong back with the taid between their legs! 🤣

That doesn't really mean anything though, does it? On the flip side Ryan Hardie and Kal Naismith have both made very good careers in League One/Championship sides without ever really doing a hell of a lot above the Scottish Championship while up here. Ben Woodburn was average, at best, for us but makes regular appearances for PNE (albeit from the bench). There's an endless list of Old Firm signing's who've been there and done it in bigger leagues and looked absolute humpty in Scotland. 

You can't judge how one player will do based on how others have done before them. 

gar jambo
8 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

That doesn't really mean anything though, does it? On the flip side Ryan Hardie and Kal Naismith have both made very good careers in League One/Championship sides without ever really doing a hell of a lot above the Scottish Championship while up here. Ben Woodburn was average, at best, for us but makes regular appearances for PNE (albeit from the bench). There's an endless list of Old Firm signing's who've been there and done it in bigger leagues and looked absolute humpty in Scotland. 

You can't judge how one player will do based on how others have done before them. 

No coment 

40 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Dhanda is a player I'm really, really excited for. It feels like too often, a player excels at a team below us in the table, and the natural move would be to join us/aberdeen/hibs and we end up losing them to some random English team in the depths of the football league (or worse). It feels like a real coup that we got him and I cannot wait to see what he does in maroon. At 25, he'll just be going into his prime. 

I hope its a long term contract. 4/5 years. 

gar jambo
1 minute ago, OTT said:

Dhanda is a player I'm really, really excited for. It feels like too often, a player excels at a team below us in the table, and the natural move would be to join us/aberdeen/hibs and we end up losing them to some random English team in the depths of the football league (or worse). It feels like a real coup that we got him and I cannot wait to see what he does in maroon. At 25, he'll just be going into his prime. 

I hope its a long term contract. 4/5 years. 

Yes imagine if he played for a St mirren or a killie before joining us next season yes some coup! 

johnking123

Would like to see us push the boat out for Lyall Cameron. Left footed midfielder,  young, scores and worth breaking our transfer record for. 

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

I hope it’s a long term contract. 4/5 years. 

It is actually just a twist of fate that led to him being at a club up here tbh . He has played at a high level in England for a lot longer . I know these things can sometimes just not work out , but if he does fulfill his potential he will be electric 

19/05/2012
6 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Would like to see us push the boat out for Lyall Cameron. Left footed midfielder,  young, scores and worth breaking our transfer record for. 

Good player and one we should have got last year for free but he is right footed.

Arthur Morgan
9 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

I think McCowan is better but Cameron is younger. 

gar jambo
2 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Good player and one we should have got last year for free but he is right footed.

Now that could be a million pound player I would say we needed him before Armstrong as we have a few wingers unless we get rid of one!