Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Armageddon
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I get where folk are coming from with the names being mentioned, all good players. 
We are still virtually no threat to teams from dead balls, we could do with a bit more height and maybe look at a couple of Scandinavians to fill the gaps at RB and CM?

I like that IKEA…. sorry, idea 😬

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Pasquale for King

• Batistuta87

• kingantti1874

7 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

And Sylla. I was intrigued by Mccowan but that big lad can play too. 

He certainly didn't shite his nappy at the sight of Lundstram. He definitely can play. He's 30 and his career to date is pretty inglorious. We definitely need someone with those kind of attributes.

Musemic
12 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

...then we could play a flat pack four 

10 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Armstrong has 23 goals+assists this season and had 22 last season. In Jordan Jones' best season he got 14.

He's Killies main player so that doesn't surprise me that most of the play goes through him. Still, not worth a million bucks. 

stuart500
7 hours ago, Musemic said:

...then we could play a flat pack four 

Hahaha . Deserves credit. 

soonbe110
12 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Armstrong has 23 goals+assists this season and had 22 last season. In Jordan Jones' best season he got 14.

9 goals this season, four of which were pens. 

Selkirkhmfc1874

Danny Armstrong would do even better surrounded by better players imo but not sure I'd be making him our record signing ! If we spending that kind of money on a player I'm certain we'd get better value elsewhere 

stuart500
8 hours ago, Chaps said:

All the talk we want to kick on a get closer to the old firm.

Bruce Anderson ffs

:facepalm:

The reality is both arse cheeks will be under pressure from their respective rabbles to spend big in the summer. It will be hard enough to stop them getting even further ahead. Both have been mediocre by their own standards and lost games they wouldn't have expected to.

How do we deal with that? Even with our improved budget who do we buy to genuinely get closer. We aren't going to spend enough to be neck and neck with them over a season. 

So I think in league terms we need players to extend the gap between us and those below. Not quite as expensive a target as matching the uglies.

I've no idea if Anderson is a target. He certainly wouldn't be our marquee signing, but possibly could be useful. Looks more of a penalty box player, someone Naismith particularly could get a tune out of. So, yes if he could chip in more than Boyce and Tagawa have this season then he could help up us chalk up more points next season.

Sadly catching the gruesome twosome will be well beyond our budget.

tiger Rudi
17 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Certainly wouldn’t spend £1m on a 27 year old  playing in Scotland. 

Not sure I agree with you. Shankland as an example would be well worth it. 

In saying that, I wouldn't be paying anything like a £1m for Armstrong and I'm sure Kilmarnock won't get anything like that figure either.

Signing a player that can deliver pinpoint crosses for the likes of Shankland is worth pursuing though. Armstrong can do that, his value to us in that aspect would be huge. 

If the price is right, I think he could be a great signing for us. 

A player in his last year of a contract at a club like Kilmarnock....... I'd be surprised if they get more than £400 thou IMHO. 

1 minute ago, tiger Rudi said:

Not sure I agree with you. Shankland as an example would be well worth it. 

In saying that, I wouldn't be paying anything like a £1m for Armstrong and I'm sure Kilmarnock won't get anything like that figure either.

Signing a player that can deliver pinpoint crosses for the likes of Shankland is worth pursuing though. Armstrong can do that, his value to us in that aspect would be huge. 

If the price is right, I think he could be a great signing for us. 

A player in his last year of a contract at a club like Kilmarnock....... I'd be surprised if they get more than £400 thou IMHO. 

They probably wouldn't let him come to Hearts on the cheap. They'd rather he went south rather than sell to a rival Scottish club. 

Similar to us with Shanks and sevco interest 

tiger Rudi
1 minute ago, Hansel said:

They probably wouldn't let him come to Hearts on the cheap. They'd rather he went south rather than sell to a rival Scottish club. 

Similar to us with Shanks and sevco interest 

I see what you're saying but there's a huge difference between us and Killie. They will need the cash, we don't. Getting 4 or 5 hundred thou in the coffers at Kilmarnock is a big deal for them. I'm still not sure we would want to pay as much as that for him though tbh. There might be more value elsewhere. 

We do need to spend if we want to get closer though. This summer is the time to do it. 

johnking123

Really not to fust about armstrong. We have Spittal arriving and Dhanda.  Still have Oda, mckay and a few young players that need game time. RB, CB, CM and CF are more important at the moment.

9 hours ago, Chaps said:

All the talk we want to kick on a get closer to the old firm.

Bruce Anderson ffs

:facepalm:

Exactly. Comical!

Threedoorsdown
15 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

17 starts in 39 appearances for a rock bottom Livingston.

8 goals. 0 assists.

Not for me.

I'm aware Penrice is from rock bottom Livingston before anyone comments :laugh:

I don’t think that’s a bad return 😂? Maybe I’m easily pleased but if we could add ten goals for buttons from the lad - that’s a decent return on a relatively small investment.

Also, if it doesn’t work another team in the league would take him from us. 

41 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

The reality is both arse cheeks will be under pressure from their respective rabbles to spend big in the summer. It will be hard enough to stop them getting even further ahead. Both have been mediocre by their own standards and lost games they wouldn't have expected to.

How do we deal with that? Even with our improved budget who do we buy to genuinely get closer. We aren't going to spend enough to be neck and neck with them over a season. 

So I think in league terms we need players to extend the gap between us and those below. Not quite as expensive a target as matching the uglies.

I've no idea if Anderson is a target. He certainly wouldn't be our marquee signing, but possibly could be useful. Looks more of a penalty box player, someone Naismith particularly could get a tune out of. So, yes if he could chip in more than Boyce and Tagawa have this season then he could help up us chalk up more points next season.

If that's what we're after then I'd rather we just used our own youngsters like Wilson or Kirk than completely average players like Bruce Anderson to fill the possibly useful category.

stuart500

Fair play to Armstrong. He's been tremendous this season, as indeed has McCowan at Dundee, but spending a huge sum of money would be too big a gamble in my opinion. 

I think Oda and Vargas will really kick on next season and we also have the opportunity to start including the likes of Wilson, Sandilands and McLuckie. Naismith will know what we are getting with these three so less of a gamble.

There's also Pollock if he can overcome his bad luck with injuries. Really like the look of this lad and he's added a bit physical strength. 

stuart500
13 minutes ago, Chimp said:

If that's what we're after then I'd rather we just used our own youngsters like Wilson or Kirk than completely average players like Bruce Anderson to fill the possibly useful category.

Signing any player is a gamble. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Neither Luke McCowan nor Danny Armstrong had set the heather on fire at previous clubs and Dundee and Killie took a chance. We'd take either now at the right price.

I suppose we'll have looked at Anderson to see if there's something there that might flourish. I guess Naismith should be a pretty decent judge of a striker's ability. If he's not interested I wouldn't be at all bothered.

I do agree that Wilson should be more involved next season. Kirk needs a loan to somewhere he'll actually get game time. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

9 goals this season, four of which were pens. 

Yes, 9 goals and 14 assists. 9+14=23.

That's an excellent return, and so was 12 goals and 10 assists last season.

1 hour ago, stuart500 said:

Fair play to Armstrong. He's been tremendous this season, as indeed has McCowan at Dundee, but spending a huge sum of money would be too big a gamble in my opinion. 

I think Oda and Vargas will really kick on next season and we also have the opportunity to start including the likes of Wilson, Sandilands and McLuckie. Naismith will know what we are getting with these three so less of a gamble.

There's also Pollock if he can overcome his bad luck with injuries. Really like the look of this lad and he's added a bit physical strength. 

Whats a huge sum? He's into his last 12 months, so his value won't the that of a player with several years left on his deal. Yes, Killie won't be inclined to sell, but the reality is that they'll be replacing him either way in summer 2025. 

Hibs spent around £700k on Vente, over £500k on Youan & £300k on Dylan Levitt (£1.5m total spend)

Aberdeen spent £535k on Miovski, £400k for Duk, £500k on Clarkson

The quoted figure in the press was £600k for Armstrong. We can absolutely afford that. Christ, even if the press were undervaluing him, he's now in his final 12 months, so probably worth that now either way. If we can convince Forrest to go the other way, its a great piece of business - £400-600k+ Forrest. I'd much rather that, than another jam tomorrow signing from the far east. 

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Someone more sturdy and has all the parts of his game with him 😆

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Really not to fust about armstrong. We have Spittal arriving and Dhanda.  Still have Oda, mckay and a few young players that need game time. RB, CB, CM and CF are more important at the moment.

Same. I quite like him and don't really like playing against him, but that's about it. Certainly wouldn't be spending big money on him. If we were genuinely going to outlay anywhere near £1M on a player then I'd rather it went on wages for a higher quality free agent. I'd be looking at teams like Sporting Lisbon, Porto, Braga, for a wee winger nearing the end of his contract and getting a decent offer in front of them. 

Edited by Batistuta87

BackOfTheNet
11 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I could not quite grasp your explanation and you'd rather be rude and defensive instead of offering clarification - so I'll ask again.

What are the guarantees you think we should seek?

Jesus. So when I said “of course there’s no such thing as a guarantee in football” and explained that you need to stop taking everything (and I mean everything!) so literally that wasn’t an explanation of what I meant? Fine. The closest thing to a guarantee is a player that you know that the vast majority of games will perform to an excellent standard, which I likened to the OF against us - as in they are expected to beat us every game, but that’s not a guarantee but still happens the vast majority of the time.

So likewise if we’re going to pay seven figures for a player, we’d need that guarantee (or as close as we can in football to such a thing) to have a player that we know - barring any unforeseen circumstances - that will be expected to perform to a very high standard for us for the majority of games. My original point, which has been lost in all this anal pedantic nonsense, is that players like Armstrong of Kilmarnock will not be that guarantee (or close to it) hence we cannot justify what it would cost to buy him.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Diego10
3 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Danny Armstrong would do even better surrounded by better players imo but not sure I'd be making him our record signing ! If we spending that kind of money on a player I'm certain we'd get better value elsewhere 

I'm no sure he would.  He's a player that's absolutely perfect for the way McInnes plays.  Takes a great set piece and they are a team of absolute giants who play for set pieces.

He's clearly a good player but there's a high percentage chance he'd not be as successful at Hearts as we don't play with wingers and we're not particularly great in the air

BackOfTheNet
3 hours ago, stuart500 said:

If we still have Shankland next season and he’s fit, then doesn’t matter if we have Tagawa or Anderson, no one is getting minutes. Boyce seems to get minutes as a 10 though.

RustyRightPeg
10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Same. I quite like him and don't really like playing against him, but that's about it. Certainly wouldn't be spending big money on him. If we were genuinely going to outlay anywhere near £1M on a player then I'd rather it went on wages for a higher quality free agent. I'd be looking at teams like Sporting Lisbon, Porto, Braga, for a wee winger nearing the end of his contract and getting a decent offer in front of them. 

Like a Jair Tavares?

RustyRightPeg

Same folk knocking Armstrong are the same folk that thought Shankland wouldn't work. 🙂 

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Same folk knocking Armstrong are the same folk that thought Shankland wouldn't work. 🙂 

To be fair people aren’t knocking him, they’re just saying he’s not worthy of being our record signing / our first million pound player. Not many players outside the OF are worth it. Miovski probably is, but we don’t need to spend money on a striker when we have Shankland. And another point is we can go abroad and get a Miovski level player in cheaper markets for half the price it would cost to get Armstrong. (Like Miovski cost £500k for Aberdeen)

People aren’t against signing Armstrong and I’m sure everyone asked if they would take him would say yes. But is he worth a million?

Le Chat
2 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Agree.

Armstrong's a nice player but I'm not convinced that he's worth shelling out a sizeable sum for, at 27 years old and with the players you mention already at the club.

I'd rather spend the money we'll have in the other areas you mention.

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

To be fair people aren’t knocking him, they’re just saying he’s not worthy of being our record signing / our first million pound player. Not many players outside the OF are worth it. Miovski probably is, but we don’t need to spend money on a striker when we have Shankland. And another point is we can go abroad and get a Miovski level player in cheaper markets for half the price it would cost to get Armstrong. (Like Miovski cost £500k for Aberdeen)

People aren’t against signing Armstrong and I’m sure everyone asked if they would take him would say yes. But is he worth a million?

He wouldn't cost a million. I know Savage said Killie want £1M, but they won't get that. 

The same thing happened with Shankland. Beershot telling everyone they wanted this and that, as soon as Shanks head was turned and the negotiating started it was substantially less than the original figure quoted. It's even the same with us now, again with Shanks, we want £5M plus, we won't get that. £3.5M tops.

Batistuta87
20 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Like a Jair Tavares?

Similar to him in that I'd be looking for players who are at big clubs like that but aren't making it - but I would be looking for guys 23-27 with actual professional experience who have played for those teams or others at a decent level. Not necesarilly Portuguese teams but young and hungry Portuguese/Brazilian/Spanish wingers with a bit of flair.

Rafael Camacho, Sporting CP

Emerson, Riga

Inigo Cordoba, Fortuna Sittard

Edited by Batistuta87

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He wouldn't cost a million. I know Savage said Killie want £1M, but they won't get that. 

The same thing happened with Shankland. Beershot telling everyone they wanted this and that, as soon as Shanks head was turned and the negotiating started it was substantially less than the original figure quoted. It's even the same with us now, again with Shanks, we want £5M plus, we won't get that. £3.5M tops.

It also depends on interest he has elsewhere. Killie will be more willing to sell down south than to the team one place above them in the league. So they’d probably accept a bid less than what we’d pay anyway if a player’s head is turned. All it takes is the likes of West Brom or QPR or something selling the dream of a playoff place next season and much more than what we’d pay in wages.

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Similar to him in that I'd be looking for players who are at big clubs like that but aren't making it - but I would be looking for guys 23-27 with actual professional experience who have played for those teams or others at a decent level. Not necesarilly Portuguese teams but young and hungry Portuguese/Brazilian/Spanish wingers with a bit of flair.

Emerson, Riga

A Bruno Aguiar type is what you’re after in that respect. A few fleeting sub appearances for the main side but played most of their time on loan at lower leagues before moving permanently to make their mark.

HopeDiouf
32 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

And the folks promoting Armstrong appear to be the same folks that told Scott Fraser would be a good signing.

For the record, I'd be for Armstrong, and was for Shankland.

27 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Agree.

Armstrong's a nice player but I'm not convinced that he's worth shelling out a sizeable sum for, at 27 years old and with the players you mention already at the club.

I'd rather spend the money we'll have in the other areas you mention.

I see where folk are coming from with this way of thinking. I rate Armstrong and the thought of Shankland getting on the end of his sublime deliveries next season would be a wet dream, however, posters are correct when they say we have to priorities other positions. 

If we could get Armstrong for much cheapness then I'd be all over it like a tramp on chips

5 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

And the folks promoting Armstrong appear to be the same folks that told Scott Fraser would be a good signing.

For the record, I'd be for Armstrong, and was for Shankland.

Fraser did look like a solid loan signing on paper to be fair.

If Armstrong was to come in for big money and flopped we would look a bit silly 🤪  Sometimes a big price tag can put extra pressure on a player 

RustyRightPeg
6 minutes ago, Hansel said:

I see where folk are coming from with this way of thinking. I rate Armstrong and the thought of Shankland getting on the end of his sublime deliveries next season would be a wet dream, however, posters are correct when they say we have to priorities other positions. 

If we could get Armstrong for much cheapness then I'd be all over it like a tramp on chips

Depends how the other dominos fall though. If we get Strain for example, and solidify the right back slot for free, it opens up extra £££ for other positions.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Depends how the other dominos fall though. If we get Strain for example, and solidify the right back slot for free, it opens up extra £££ for other positions.

Not convinced the oft injured Strain who seems to be behind Atkinson and Miller at Hibs for caps with Oz, is solidifying the position. 

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not convinced the oft injured Strain who seems to be behind Atkinson and Miller at Hibs for caps with Oz, is solidifying the position. 

It was an example.

Lovecraft
45 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Emerson, Riga

You play too much Football Manager mate.

21 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

👍

We shall need to wait and see. For all we know Savage and Naisy have already ruled out a move for Armstrong. I hope we are considering it at least.

Strain is a player I like, although not sure about his injury situation. Think he's missed a sizable chunk of this season

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Hansel said:

👍

We shall need to wait and see. For all we know Savage and Naisy have already ruled out a move for Armstrong. I hope we are considering it at least.

Strain is a player I like, although not sure about his injury situation. Think he's missed a sizable chunk of this season

Was decent yesterday against Rangers.

I like the idea of us hoovering up all the best players from other SPL teams. 

jamboinglasgow

One player who if we could get on a long term deal (like what Aberdeen did with McCrorie) would be Leon King. I think he can play left centre back and though still raw he has a lot of ability. Was speaking a Rangers supporting friend and he talked about King dropping off the radar with Rangers.

He is still only 20, and if we could get a loan with a reason option to sign, then it could be something worth doing.

3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Was decent yesterday against Rangers.

I didn't watch the game but whenever I watched him in highlights last season he looked like he had a good combination of dig and crossing ability 

stuart500
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Whats a huge sum? He's into his last 12 months, so his value won't the that of a player with several years left on his deal. Yes, Killie won't be inclined to sell, but the reality is that they'll be replacing him either way in summer 2025. 

Hibs spent around £700k on Vente, over £500k on Youan & £300k on Dylan Levitt (£1.5m total spend)

Aberdeen spent £535k on Miovski, £400k for Duk, £500k on Clarkson

The quoted figure in the press was £600k for Armstrong. We can absolutely afford that. Christ, even if the press were undervaluing him, he's now in his final 12 months, so probably worth that now either way. If we can convince Forrest to go the other way, its a great piece of business - £400-600k+ Forrest. I'd much rather that, than another jam tomorrow signing from the far east. 

I would say Hibs have wasted 1.5m on  Vente, Youan and Levitt.and must be bitterly regretting it. 

My comment on Armstrong was about not paying a huge sum, which to me would be nearer the ridiculous £1 m people were initially bandying about. Seems that figure is down to £600k but nobody really knows what Killie would want and I would doubt they would accept Forrest in part exchange. (Apart from being ex Ayr United I can't see that McInnes would want him).

Unless we could get him for max £400k I would much rather spend our money on other areas of the team. We have excellent youngsters like Wilson and Pollock who I think can step up, and for all we know Armstrong could be back to being a championship level player next season. It's all a big gamble but I'll trust Naismith's judgement on it.

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Hansel said:

We need a sprinkling of star dust from abroad though, as good as it is that players know the league and team’s weaknesses, their old teams know them well too. For example Livi had the measure of Forrest on the wing a few weeks ago, whereas he played slightly more inside against them away and was effective. 

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

It was an example.

I see, sorry 👍🏽.

Spookie
26 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Thats free talent may I add, there is no danger we are putting in an offer of 600k plus for Armstrong or any other Scottish player 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

One player who if we could get on a long term deal (like what Aberdeen did with McCrorie) would be Leon King. I think he can play left centre back and though still raw he has a lot of ability. Was speaking a Rangers supporting friend and he talked about King dropping off the radar with Rangers.

He is still only 20, and if we could get a loan with a reason option to sign, then it could be something worth doing.

To further cement our cuddly relationship with them? No thanks. 

24 minutes ago, Hansel said:

So do I. 

Time and time again Hearts, Aberdeen & Hibs try recruiting externally and time and time again, we get stuck in transition or on  "jam tomorrow" signings (and how often does tomorrow come?!)

Going to sound ridiculous, but I think Hearts (and Hibs & Aberdeen) are the toughest domestic jobs to manage. there is a painfully high bar for success, 3rd is what we all want, anything less is generally viewed as failure. Where as for other teams, just being in the top 6 is punching up and not finishing 1st or 2nd with the OF is borderline impossible :lol: 

Really do think we need to make the push for either Armstrong or McCowan. Both excellent players, better than what we have and will improve our first team. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated/merged )