Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

JimmyCant
3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Bloody good job that the hotel is being professionally and successfully run , and is already wildly exceeding your personal experience based projections :) 

Easily revisited in the accounts P&L numbers when they come out. Until then………shhhhhhh

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Anderson,the main stand, Naismith, the academy now producing best team in their age group but you rave on.

Thats not what I was talking about, you said CL and Budge deserved credit for a sustainable plan, wasting millions of our money and costing the club £9m by being relegated isn’t something anyone should thank them for. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Don't forget a right back 😉 

Yeah, it’s like the thing you really need at the supermarket but they don’t have it so you get something similar and its not up to the job. 

jr ewing
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah, it’s like the thing you really need at the supermarket but they don’t have it so you get something similar and its not up to the job. 

Absolute priority 👌 

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Easily revisited in the accounts P&L numbers when they come out. Until then………shhhhhhh

:lol:

All about vision imo . You either have it or you dont 

Pasquale for King

Absolute priority 👌 

Definitely, can’t say I see many options up here though. 

jr ewing
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Definitely, can’t say I see many options up here though. 

Can't believe how difficult it's been to find one. 

Pasquale for King

Can't believe how difficult it's been to find one. 

It’s not that hard surely, but considering how many top class LBs we’ve had theres been a dearth of them on the right for some reason. 

gregzy2k7
2 hours ago, liam11 said:

An upgrade on Forrest is an absolute necessity imo.

His inability to lift his head and play a simple square ball is killing us. This stuff happens every week with varying consequences, but in the sharp end of the cup against the OF, it’s inexcusable - any of the available pass options here results in a very high chance of scoring.

IMG_5492.jpeg

Agreed,

LW Is an area where I think we are quite weak in all honesty imo,

We need someone to come in there and make it there own position, someone who is consistent and gets good numbers in terms of goals and or assists/key passes.

Forrest while hard working does not contribute enough for me, 

We need another Vargas type of player on the left wing who is going to hit 10+ goals a season.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Agreed,

We need someone to come in there and make it there own position, someone who is consistent and gets good numbers in terms of goals and or assists/key passes.

We need another Vargas type of player on the left wing who is going to hit 10+ goals a season.

I think Spittal or McKay will play there, the former will score and the latter create. 

Sleepy head

His inability to lift his head and play a simple square ball is killing us. This stuff happens every week with varying consequences, but in the sharp end of the cup against the OF, it’s inexcusable - any of the available pass options here results in a very high chance of scoring.

IMG_5492.jpeg

IMG_5492.jpeg

Forrest is brainless football wise.

jr ewing
27 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s not that hard surely, but considering how many top class LBs we’ve had theres been a dearth of them on the right for some reason. 

Use to be the easier position to fill. Maybe players fancy wing back nowadays 🤔 

jr ewing
24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think Spittal or McKay will play there, the former will score and the latter create. 

Or Dhanda.

MattyK82
2 hours ago, johnking123 said:

No hotel or no side projects. Apparently all cash going to football side. That includes any benefactor money or player sales.  Wage bill will be close to £20 million in total for this season coming.

What is it currently? 

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Or Dhanda.

I think he will play as a 10 but could be. 

9 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Use to be the easier position to fill. Maybe players fancy wing back nowadays 🤔 

I don’t think anyone wants to play fb nowadays, you’re usually a failed winger/midfielder/centre half. 

1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Agreed,

The absolute last thing we need is another Vargas type! He's playing out of position IIRC and still very much learning. 

A player like Danny Armstrong that is ready to go today is whats needed. We already have the 2nd youngest squad in the league, time to bring in some experienced heads that can ensure we're making the correct decisions in the final 3rd. I would say 70% of what Alan Forrest does is good, he gets on the ball and tries to be positive... the problem is that he's shite and makes awful decisions. Someone like Armstrong that has a proven track record of delivering in his position is what we need more than anything. He's shown he's a very competent player and can actually take corners (I swear to god, if we go into next season with McKay still taking corners....) 

I think its a testament to Shankland that he didn't throttle Forrest & Vargas at full time. 

gregzy2k7
1 hour ago, OTT said:

The absolute last thing we need is another Vargas type! He's playing out of position IIRC and still very much learning. 

A player like Danny Armstrong that is ready to go today is whats needed. We already have the 2nd youngest squad in the league, time to bring in some experienced heads that can ensure we're making the correct decisions in the final 3rd. I would say 70% of what Alan Forrest does is good, he gets on the ball and tries to be positive... the problem is that he's shite and makes awful decisions. Someone like Armstrong that has a proven track record of delivering in his position is what we need more than anything. He's shown he's a very competent player and can actually take corners (I swear to god, if we go into next season with McKay still taking corners....) 

I think its a testament to Shankland that he didn't throttle Forrest & Vargas at full time. 

Fair enough, 

Danny Armstrong I would absolutely love to get, however the problem is he would cost north of a million quid, we need someone a bit more affordable and at 26/27 years old is he really value for money? Maybe.

I think we need to spend some serious money this summer on a few different positions, but we have also got to be sensible and not blow our whole budget on one player.

For me if we can only make 4/5 Quality signings, depending on everyone else staying.

I think we need a

RB

CDM

LW

ST

LCH

In that order of priority imo, but for me the absolute must signings are a a solid RB and an upgraded version of Beni at CDM.

tcjambo
2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Thats not what I was talking about, you said CL and Budge deserved credit for a sustainable plan, wasting millions of our money and costing the club £9m by being relegated isn’t something anyone should thank them for. 

You only ever see anything that confirms your bias. Levein and Budge also got us promoted whan other clubs were better funded. The plan came to fruition in time with the rebuilding of the main stand , transfer of shares to the Foundation and development of the Academy. I guess we have you to thank lol. The model worked fine until Cathro's appointment, which was a clear error in hindsight, but many thought it was a brilliant appointment at the time. Levein took over as manager..... probably to save money. We started the next season well until injuries and a heart attack scuppered that. So that negates anything that went before in your eyes?

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, jacko said:

Barry bannon.... for European games?

Eammon for domestic?

johnking123
8 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

What is it currently? 

Just over £15 million.  But that is clubs entire wage bill, not just players.

Randy Marsh
6 hours ago, tcjambo said:

You only ever see anything that confirms your bias. Levein and Budge also got us promoted whan other clubs were better funded. The plan came to fruition in time with the rebuilding of the main stand , transfer of shares to the Foundation and development of the Academy. I guess we have you to thank lol. The model worked fine until Cathro's appointment, which was a clear error in hindsight, but many thought it was a brilliant appointment at the time. Levein took over as manager..... probably to save money. We started the next season well until injuries and a heart attack scuppered that. So that negates anything that went before in your eyes?

Levein ideally wanted another puppet/project in charge after Cathro.  A Jon Daly or Austin MacPhee etc.  But there would have been a huge backlash from the fans so he just appointed himself.  He no doubt just ignored plenty of solid applicants at that time.  Paulo Sergio didn't even get a reply.  It was never about saving money.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
7 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Fair enough, 

Danny Armstrong I would absolutely love to get, however the problem is he would cost north of a million quid, we need someone a bit more affordable and at 26/27 years old is he really value for money? Maybe.

I think we need to spend some serious money this summer on a few different positions, but we have also got to be sensible and not blow our whole budget on one player.

For me if we can only make 4/5 Quality signings, depending on everyone else staying.

I think we need a

RB

CDM

LW

ST

LCH

In that order of priority imo, but for me the absolute must signings are a a solid RB and an upgraded version of Beni at CDM.

I wonder if we are now at a stage where we will move to a different model.

With the extra funding coming in from all the new commercial sources, European money plus a likely transfer out or two (think Cochrane away, perhaps Rowles too; we may even get fees for Atkinson and Sibbick) then - plus what I think are Naismiths intentions to create a different type of squad then…..

RB - sign an experienced pro, mid twenties, on a free but a decent wage of 7-8k per week.  It’s been an obvious weakness for too long and makes us imbalanced.

CDM - hope Beni stays but if not similar to above.

LCH - again, experienced championship player - someone like Liam Lindsay although he might be a tall order wages wise.  Lewis Mayo from Killie?

LW - if McKay is back to form, then we have our answer.  If not, I think Armstrong is a good shout.  While Killie may want north of a million for him, they won’t get that from Hearts - but if we are the only bidder with 400-500k then he’ll be ours as Killie will want to cash in rather than loose him for free next year.

So I’d have the following leaving:  McGovern, Atkinson, Sibbick, Haring, Forrest with Dexter, Fraser loans ending alongside Cochrane and possibly Rowles being transferred.

Squad for next season

- GK:  Clark, Gordon, Stone

- DF:  New RB, Halkett, Kent, New LCH, Kingsley, Penrice, Neilson

- DM:  Beni or replacement, Devlin, Denholm, Pollock, and perhaps Neilson

- AM / Wingers - Grant, Tait, McKay, Hoff, Dhanda, Spittal

- FW - Shankland, Boyce, Tagawa, Vargas, Oda

Squad of 25, backed up by youth to fill in when needed.     One more midfielder maybe?

28 minutes ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

With the extra funding coming in from all the new commercial sources, European money plus a likely transfer out or two (think Cochrane away, perhaps Rowles too; we may even get fees for Atkinson and Sibbick) then - plus what I think are Naismiths intentions to create a different type of squad then…..

RB - sign an experienced pro, mid twenties, on a free but a decent wage of 7-8k per week.  It’s been an obvious weakness for too long and makes us imbalanced.

LCH - again, experienced championship player - someone like Liam Lindsay although he might be a tall order wages wise.  Lewis Mayo from Killie?

LW - if McKay is back to form, then we have our answer.  If not, I think Armstrong is a good shout.  While Killie may want north of a million for him, they won’t get that from Hearts - but if we are the only bidder with 400-500k then he’ll be ours as Killie will want to cash in rather than loose him for free next year.

So I’d have the following leaving:  McGovern, Atkinson, Sibbick, Haring, Forrest with Dexter, Fraser loans ending alongside Cochrane and possibly Rowles being transferred.

Squad for next season

Squad of 25, backed up by youth to fill in when needed.     One more midfielder maybe?

Good assessment. I'm less down on Rowles, though, and would be fine with him staying. I'd also like Cochrane to stay, but we have cover if he doesn't. If Atkinson and Sibbick leave (which I'd be fine with) we'll need two RBs. One of them can be a loan. If Atkinson stays as back-up to a new guy, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'd also like to see us replace Tagawa with someone who we are happy to throw in for 20-30 mins every week or start when Shankland needs a break. Preferably a physical striker.

TheBigO
11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Needed mayo, but got a garden rake

RustyRightPeg
5 hours ago, jacko said:

Barry bannon.... for European games?

Why just European games? He won't carry any home grown weight.

He's also getting 30K plus a week at Sheff Wed.

I'd consider having a look at Karamoko Dembele. 8 goals and 14 assists on loan Blackpool so far this season and apparently been playing very well for them. He's very quick, direct and good on the ball and although he lacks height a bit of height and physical presence he's got many good attributes for a winger. He's still under contract at Brest for another couple of years but I'd be happy to see him here on loan next season if it was doable. 

Already has a bit of experience of the league from being at Celtic too which helps.

Edited by Chimp

PapaShango
15 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I'd consider having a look at Karamoko Dembele. 8 goals and 14 assists on loan Blackpool so far this season and apparently been playing very well for them. He's very quick, direct and good on the ball and although he lacks height a bit of height and physical presence he's got many good attributes for a winger. He's still under contract at Brest for another couple of years but I'd be happy to see him here on loan next season if it was doable. 

Already has a bit of experience of the league from being at Celtic too which helps.

Not for me, he's playing in League 1 is inexperienced and I would rather have a player that is ready to hit the ground running. We need first team players next season with the fixture schedule that is going to come our way, feel like we have enough project players at the moment when we need some experience. Probably cost a bit extra doing that but we can't make the same mistakes we made the last time we were in the groups where we didn't have a big enough squad and were found wanting badly. I'm hoping that the certainty around the manager this summer has a positive impact with the recruitment. I'm sure they have their targets already identified and work will be going on to get them. 

jamboinglasgow
20 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I would take him, but suspect he will either be loaned out to the Championship by his current club or sold to a Premier league club (has been some attention) then loaned to the Championship.

Batistuta87
37 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Why just European games? He won't carry any home grown weight.

He's also getting 30K plus a week at Sheff Wed.

He would count as home grown would he not? Was at Albion Rovers and Celtic as a youth. 

Or do Aston Villa get the credit for that since that's where he transitioned from youth to first team? 

AC Mallin_51

I think a vessels/bair type would do us good. Just as another option to have off the bench. Games at tynecastle with the opposition playing a low block where it can become frustrating a big battler upfront might be a decent option to bring off the bench. 

To make clear I mean a big handful of a centre forward that is good with the ball at their feet. Certainly not another Uche 

1 hour ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

Squad for next season

Forrest has just signed a new 2 year deal though. 

JimmyCant
17 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He would count as home grown would he not? Was at Albion Rovers and Celtic as a youth. 

Or do Aston Villa get the credit for that since that's where he transitioned from youth to first team? 

Left Celtic youth academy at 14 so wouldn’t count as home grown.

Edited by JimmyCant

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

Squad for next season

Some decent shouts in here. I don't think we need to replace Rowles though - I think he's decent and that there's more to come from him. He works well with Kent who has pretty much established himself as our first choice sort of main CB. Lewis Mayo has also been playing on the right for Killie, behind Armstrong, so although he would actually be an alright addition to the squad, it wouldn't be as a LCB. He's more like Sibbick where he could play out on the right if needed but is probably better playing RCB so if he goes, I would absolutely sign him if we could. Lewis Neilson is similar positionally though, so depends how much he's come on this season. 

Don't think Killie will need or want to cash in on Armstrong either. Similar to us with Shankland I think they'll see him as offering more value by staying and helping them into Europe.

Also you have Hoff as an AM when he's a DM like Devlin and Beni. I reckon he will be first choice in there next season and it would be good to have an experienced pro alongside him. I've previously suggested Joe Allen from Swansea (ex-Liverpool) as an option for a year and agree that someone like that with a load of experience and who has played at a much higher level at some point and has dealt with that higher pressure would be ideal. 

I think only another winger is required in addition to what you've mentioned above. Wouldn't mind a young EPL loan. 

32 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Not for me, he's playing in League 1 is inexperienced and I would rather have a player that is ready to hit the ground running. We need first team players next season with the fixture schedule that is going to come our way, feel like we have enough project players at the moment when we need some experience. Probably cost a bit extra doing that but we can't make the same mistakes we made the last time we were in the groups where we didn't have a big enough squad and were found wanting badly. I'm hoping that the certainty around the manager this summer has a positive impact with the recruitment. I'm sure they have their targets already identified and work will be going on to get them. 

You say inexperienced yet he's played first team football for Celtic and Ligue 1 with Brest. Now he's also got a full season under his belt in England and performing to a good level. Not sure how that's not ready to hit the ground running tbh. Not every player we sign has to be very experienced. He's not a project player, fed up of that term being used for almost anyone who appears to be under the age of 23 or so. It's the default term now. I remember a certain Jimmy Dunne was 20 years old when he arrived, have must have been a decent project worth our while then.

A loan deal would be relatively low risk and would add a bit extra quality and directness to our options on the wing. He'd be more than good enough for our level in this league I reckon.

Edited by Chimp

28 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I would take him, but suspect he will either be loaned out to the Championship by his current club or sold to a Premier league club (has been some attention) then loaned to the Championship.

Yeah most likely. Unlikely we'd get him but certainly wouldn't be turning my nose up if he was keen on a move.

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Left Celtic youth academy at 14 so wouldn’t count as home grown.

👍

Not that we really need to worry about it - I think we're well covered for the home grown rule. But aye someone like Bannan, Campbell, Allen, Fleck, would be exactly what I'd be looking for.

JimmyCant
Just now, Batistuta87 said:

👍

Not that we really need to worry about it - I think we're well covered for the home grown rule. But aye someone like Bannan, Campbell, Allen, Fleck, would be exactly what I'd be looking for.

We’re fine for home grown just now

Shankland

Kingsley

Mckay

Forrest

Clark

Penrice

Spittal

Where we struggle a wee bit is 4 ‘club grown’

Gordon

Tait

Denholm

Pollok

PapaShango
11 minutes ago, Chimp said:

You say inexperienced yet he's played first team football for Celtic and Ligue 1 with Brest. Now he's also got a full season under his belt in England and performing to a good level. Not sure how that's not ready to hit the ground running tbh. Not every player we sign has to be very experienced. He's not a project player, fed up of that term being used for almost anyone who appears to be under the age of 23 or so. It's the default term now. I remember a certain Jimmy Dunne was 20 years old when he arrived, have must have been a decent project worth our while then.

A loan deal would be relatively low risk and would add a bit extra quality and directness to our options on the wing. He'd be more than good enough for our level in this league I reckon.

Fair points Chimp and I haven't watched him closely since he left Celtic. He probably suffered with all the media hype around him when he broke into the Celtic team then fell away a bit. I remember him coming on against us in a late season game at Parkhead and he was very direct and skinned whoever was the full back that day. 

Deviskan
2 hours ago, Jambo dans les Pyrenees said:

Squad for next season

Boyce is nowhere near good enough, I’d also sell/release McKay personally. 

Halkett, too injury prone…so would consider releasing him as well.

Grant for me is also clinging onto staying with the squad by his fingernails…but i’d not be too fussed if he went too.

Tagawa, really needs a run of games now to see if he does have anything…so a decision can be made on him before next season.

Forrest: I’m still astonished we renewed his contract…the guy is the epitome of a headless chicken, runs a lot…skips by people but has pretty much no end product 90% of the time. 

Edited by Deviskan

RustyRightPeg
50 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I don't think he was at either between the ages of 16-21. Think he went to Villa really early.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Needed mayo, but got a garden rake

Pretty much 😆

TheBigO
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Pretty much 😆

Sore sarny that one!

22 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Fair points Chimp and I haven't watched him closely since he left Celtic. He probably suffered with all the media hype around him when he broke into the Celtic team then fell away a bit. I remember him coming on against us in a late season game at Parkhead and he was very direct and skinned whoever was the full back that day. 

Yeah I agree I definitely think the media hype didn’t help him at all. We see it so often, young talents who are pressured so much and end up falling away. Be interesting to see who he ends up at next season and how his career progresses. 

Batistuta87
39 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We’re fine for home grown just now

Shankland

Kingsley

Mckay

Forrest

Clark

Penrice

Spittal

Where we struggle a wee bit is 4 ‘club grown’

Gordon

Tait

Denholm

Pollok

Not really if we've got four there mate - Denholm and Tait have done very well this season and Gordon is Gordon. 

They'll all still be here next season. Sandilands/Friel/McLuckie/Rathie/Stone/McFarlane could help make up the numbers if needed. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, tcjambo said:

You said CL and Budge deserved acclaim for sticking to a sustainable plan, he wasted millions that ended up getting us relegated. That wasn’t a sustainable plan, you haven’t been able to back that up. 
CL wanted the managers job from day one, he admitted that, there wouldn’t have been any success if that had happened, hes once again down the bottom of the league.
The initial success we had and those since are undeniable, and they will be remembered well for those that now the stand has eventually been finished, way over budget with a few flaws. 
Lets hope the current SD can keep having a higher success rate with signings than his predecessor. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

TheBigO
3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Not really if we've got four there mate - Denholm and Tait have done very well this season and Gordon is Gordon. 

They'll all still be here next season. Sandilands/Friel/McLuckie/Rathie/Stone/McFarlane could help make up the numbers if needed. 

Wonder if Wilson could be considered 1st team next season or it'll be a loan to build him...

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Wonder if Wilson could be considered 1st team next season or it'll be a loan to build him...

His contract expires next summer. If he's as good a talent as he's been touted to be I'd imagine he'll might want more first team opportunities for him to extend again. I think that was the reason he apparently rejected the big guns down south that he was promised a chance here. Not sure he looks ready for the physicality of first team football yet but we'll soon see.

TheBigO
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

His contract expires next summer. If he's as good a talent as he's been touted to be I'd imagine he'll might want more first team opportunities for him to extend again. I think that was the reason he apparently rejected the big guns down south that he was promised a chance here. Not sure he looks ready for the physicality of first team football yet but we'll soon see.

Agreed, but a few months can be a lot at that age.  Summer in the gym!  And there's something to be said for movement and "avoiding contact" as they seem to coin it these days.

Would love to see the kid make an impact and that's a good point about his contract.  Works both ways though, right... if he doesnt make any impact, or isn't progressing as quickly as he or we hoped, then he might not get the move he'd hoped.  So you'd hope he keeps working away, re-signs, concentrates on his Hearts career and the riches will come... You hope.  So much of this comes down to family/agent, doesn't it.