Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

🤣 I subsequently checked him on transfermrket and they have him valued at £7m.  I know that’s a load of shite  that site but still I suspect he’s about £6.5m out of our reach 

Aye he's definitely out of our reach. Man Utd are apparently making a move for him at the moment.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

TheBigO
1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Yip, its a very difficult market for us. Europe almost out of bounds, finding the gems ever harder, we need to try though, otherwise stuck in a battle for 3rd

I guess the thing is that we are trying to remove that battle bit by bit.  What we need to focus on is cementing 3rd, making it ours.  Come challenge us, but it's ours.  Last season is such a shame as had we not effed up royally, wouldn't it already feel like that.

Realistically we're not competing with Rangers and Celtic.  But we CAN get closer to them.  It's about being better than the rest and having a squad deep enough in quality to remain consistent throughout 50odd game seasons.  I think we're getting there.

The dream of a real challenge at the top for us is lightning in a bottle stuff, isn't it.  It'll take a couple of signings to really, really click and maybe one or two gems from the academy at the same time.  We're not signing a team to take them on, if that makes sense.  If Oda, Vargas, maybe Dhanda and Hof just click and smash it, start tearing it up, plus a couple of astute, solid signings around them like Spittal hopefully is, I think we CAN get closer.

BigAlim
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I guess the thing is that we are trying to remove that battle bit by bit.  What we need to focus on is cementing 3rd, making it ours.  Come challenge us, but it's ours.  Last season is such a shame as had we not effed up royally, wouldn't it already feel like that.

Realistically we're not competing with Rangers and Celtic.  But we CAN get closer to them.  It's about being better than the rest and having a squad deep enough in quality to remain consistent throughout 50odd game seasons.  I think we're getting there.

The dream of a real challenge at the top for us is lightning in a bottle stuff, isn't it.  It'll take a couple of signings to really, really click and maybe one or two gems from the academy at the same time.  We're not signing a team to take them on, if that makes sense.  If Oda, Vargas, maybe Dhanda and Hof just click and smash it, start tearing it up, plus a couple of astute, solid signings around them like Spittal hopefully is, I think we CAN get closer.

The way I’ve always looked at it is, if we lose 8 games against the old firm and win the other 30 then we’d be on 90 points.

Obviously that’s not how any season plays out but the point is we don’t have to be as good as celtic or rangers, we just need to be better than everyone else like you’ve said

Edited by BigAlim

Jim Panzee
2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

The way I’ve always looked at it is, if we lose 8 games against the old firm and win the other 30 then we’d be on 90 points.

Obviously that’s not how any season plays out but the point is we don’t have to be as good as celtic or rangers, we just need to be better than everyone else like you’ve said

Its like the old saying in golf. If you could just take one put less on the green, you'd wipe 18 off your score every round. sounds easy but it ain't.

TheBigO
25 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Me too.  It adds to the argument of the larger league.  Almost 25% of our games are against the OF.  That's mental when you think about it.  And how can you get near them in that case?  You're literally competing with them on the same pitch, which is way harder than competing with them to beat the rest the most, if that makes sense.  It's a shit state of affairs.

But yes beat the rest is always the aim imo.  I genuinely - including last week - don't get all upset when the OF beat us, I just don't.  The whole game's stacked.  Beat the rest, be as competitive as we can against them.  And that's what we're doing now or at least trying to.  Not long ago, we were nowhere near either of those things, never mind both.

Madjambo21
25 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

I get what you are saying.

You need to beat the rest and see what happens against old firm.

You also need other teams to beat old firm.

Think in 98 both old firm teams lost 5 or 6 games each and we finished 7 points behind.

Other teams were Probably better then than now though

Lord Beni of Gorgie
59 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I'm not really expecting any title tilt, that wee bit extra quality probably wins us the game Sunday, good players coming in, but not game changers for me, solidifying the status quo, which too is part of the operation. 

Beni is quality, whoever the guys are on the BBC pages are, should hang their heads in shame. Its getting more of his ilk, very very difficult though, not saying its easy, but it is required. International footballers or guys who just cant make the top 25 English sides.

5 hours ago, Chimp said:

He's been mentioned to death on here but Phillips is that very definition. And if the rumours are to be believed about him signing a pre contract with us then he'd fit that role.

Ah yeh of course good point. 

Batistuta87
7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

👍🏻. there will be bargains out there somewhere . 

Croatia

Denmark

Norway

Sweden

Greece

Switzerland 

Poland 

S. Korea 

Is where I'd be looking. 

Edited by Batistuta87

9 hours ago, Chimp said:

He's been mentioned to death on here but Phillips is that very definition. And if the rumours are to be believed about him signing a pre contract with us then he'd fit that role.

In terms of hoovering up the best free transfer talent from the other sides, we've properly cleaned up ahead of the summer :lol: 

Excellent work from Savage, Naismith and the recruitment team. Just playing about with a potential starting 11:

Zander

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kinglsey

Devlin Phillips

Dhanda

Spittal Shankland McKay

Not too shabby!!

Although, from memory Spittal isn't a quick player, neither is McKay and obviously neither is Shankland. Being critical, thats potentially a very, very slow front 3. But, all 3 have had stand out seasons in recent years, and if McKay can get over his injuries then that should be really good in feeding Shanks quality chances. 

Add an actual RB and its a much improved team than we've got right now. 

LarrysRightFoot
1 minute ago, OTT said:

In terms of hoovering up the best free transfer talent from the other sides, we've properly cleaned up ahead of the summer :lol: 

Excellent work from Savage, Naismith and the recruitment team. Just playing about with a potential starting 11:

Zander

Atkinson Kent Rowles Kinglsey

Devlin Phillips

Dhanda

Spittal Shankland McKay

Not too shabby!!

Although, from memory Spittal isn't a quick player, neither is McKay and obviously neither is Shankland. Being critical, thats potentially a very, very slow front 3. But, all 3 have had stand out seasons in recent years, and if McKay can get over his injuries then that should be really good in feeding Shanks quality chances. 

Add an actual RB and its a much improved team than we've got right now. 

Barrie is pretty quick. 

Definitely need a proper RB. Also another CH and what about Penrice? 

Phillips (if he signs) is similar to Cammy but with better game intelligence and positional discipline. We need Hoff in midfield. 

Gordons left glove

I know we were linked with him a while ago but is handa still in reach?

FarmerTweedy
15 hours ago, Pingu said:

He's a survivor, that's for sure. I thought his game time would be minimal this season, and I was very wrong. But with the arrival of Dhanda and Spittal, the return of McKay and the ongoing development of Vargas and Oda, surely he is falling down the pecking order?

I'd imagine he is, but we're going to have a lot of games next season and there will be injuries, suspensions and no doubt loss of form at times for various players.  I'm hoping he'll no longer be a regular starter next season due to better players keeping him out of the starting lineup, but the reality is he's highly likely to still start some games and be on the bench for plenty others, making a decent number of sub appearances, as long as he keeps working hard and showing the right attitude. 

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, Gordons left glove said:

I know we were linked with him a while ago but is handa still in reach?

I think he will be. I know Japanese contracts can be a bit funny but appears to run out in January, plus he has a clause in his contract that allows him to move outside of Japan if a team enquires.

whether we are still in for him, who knows. I would it guess it would come down to how much potential we believe he has.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

Batistuta87

@soonbe110 Player looking for a club and this is what his representatives are circulating. Note the QR code... 

image.thumb.jpeg.bfd531addd43d3b5a7f0e4c6cc39e3db.jpeg

Have seen exactly this sort of thing before which is why I was so confident clubs use it, and why I'm saying it's a useful resource. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Leveins Battalion

Lasse Sorrenson for RWB looks a player.

In the team of the season in League 1,came through at Stoke.

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

He's been mentioned a few times by some decent posters. I wonder if we're keeping tabs. L1 TOTS is well within our reach. 

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Says he’s a centre mid or right midfielder? Not sure id be wanting a rb or rwb unless thats their actual position. But then again thats just going by what Transfermarkt says

LarrysRightFoot
11 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Says he’s a centre mid or right midfielder? Not sure id be wanting a rb or rwb unless thats their actual position. But then again thats just going by what Transfermarkt says

Club website says he’s a defender (doesn’t specify a position) and is out of contract in the summer - 

https://www.weareimps.com/Teams/first-team/defender/lasse-sorensen/

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Looks like he's been RM/RWB throughout the season. A sort of high sitting RWB. 

Like a right sided Alex Cochrane. 

Edited by Batistuta87

johnking123

Thing is, do we want a RWB or just a RB. Think Naismith wants to play 4231 next season in most games. So I think in will be very much a right back we are after. Oh for another Smith. 

LarrysRightFoot
1 minute ago, johnking123 said:

Thing is, do we want a RWB or just a RB. Think Naismith wants to play 4231 next season in most games. So I think in will be very much a right back we are after. Oh for another Smith. 

Personally I want a rock solid right back. Someone in the Robbie mould but with more footballing ability. 

Batistuta87
39 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Ideally someone who can do both. Someone who has the engine to get up and down the line and to get a ball into the box, but who can also dig in and defend when needed. 

I'd be very surprised if we've signed Spittal and Dhanda to play in a team with a back 3. 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Carter said:

I'd be very surprised if we've signed Spittal and Dhanda to play in a team with a back 3. 

Id be very surprised if we start with those 2 very often.  Squad game. 

we also need different formations for different problems.  It won’t be a back 4 or a back 3. It will be both.  

no such thing  as a first 11 these days 

Edited by kingantti1874

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Id be very surprised if we start with those 2 very often.  Squad game. 

we also need different formations for different problems.  It won’t be a back 4 or a back 3. It will be both.  

no such thing  as a first 11 these days 

I agree it's a squad game, for sure. Can't see them play that often together either. Both might have a bit more to say than Grant appears to have about Shankland dropping so deep if he's still here (he won't be at Rangers next season imo).

Personally I think we're a much better side with a back 4. Halkett and Rowles probably the two players in the current squad who'd favour a back 3. We absolutely need to sort RB/RWB though. We probably retained Michael Smith for a year too long which makes the current situation in that area all the more remarkable.

Central midfield needs an overhaul and an injection of quality. Too often that's been an area of glaring shortcomings against better opposition. Repeatedly an issue when we play Rangers. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
22 hours ago, TheBigO said:

This 100%

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Signing someone who can play CB and RB equally well (e.g. Lewis Mayo) plus an attacking RB would be ideal.

kingantti1874
22 minutes ago, Carter said:

I agree it's a squad game, for sure. Can't see them play that often together either. Both might have a bit more to say than Grant appears to have about Shankland dropping so deep if he's still here (he won't be at Rangers next season imo).

Personally I think we're a much better side with a back 4. Halkett and Rowles probably the two players in the current squad who'd favour a back 3. We absolutely need to sort RB/RWB though. We probably retained Michael Smith for a year too long which makes the current situation in that area all the more remarkable.

Central midfield needs an overhaul and an injection of quality. Too often that's been an area of glaring shortcomings against better opposition. Repeatedly an issue when we play Rangers. 

👍🏻 certainly. I think we’d prefer to play the 4 more often but  to play it against the better sides the I think we need a bit more physicality and speed in a Number of positions 

Ricardo Quaresma
On 25/04/2024 at 11:18, Dazo said:

I agree about Forrest I just don’t think he will mover, never know though. I don’t think they will turn down decent money. The only issue I see is us not being the only show in town. Any English clubs sniffing about and we’re one. 

I'm not sure english clubs are after Armstrong; what level?

Batistuta87
13 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Signing someone who can play CB and RB equally well (e.g. Lewis Mayo) plus an attacking RB would be ideal.

Yup. Main man has to be an out and out right back, and the cover man should cover at least another one position. Sibbick would be fine as backup really if he stays but sounding like he might be away. 

Hidde ter Avest would be a cracking pickup on a free. He's played a good number of games for Utrecht this season but if he's leaving them at the end of the season he wouldn't be massively unrealistic. Typically Dutch he's quick strong fit and clever. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Rick Sanchez

I think we need someone like Allan Campbell and I think Allan Campbell needs a club like ours.

I'd be speaking to his agent anyway.

kingantti1874
12 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I'm not sure english clubs are after Armstrong; what level?

I don’t think we will be the only ones sniffing around either, but I’m with you if teams in England are interested it will be bottom third championship or league one.

i think we are a good option for him . 

Ricardo Quaresma
On 25/04/2024 at 11:26, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Forrest goes through spells, he was red hot through winter, its not about 11 players, be idiotic to move him on.

Conversely though I'm not advocating moving Shankland on, there is life after him. Though he has developed his game, he is never going to be rapid, perhaps his successor will have the ability to run in behind or create in other ways. It will evolve

A lot of players we have are 1 or 2 elements needed from being brilliant for us; Humphrys is most certainly one of them and Forrest is another, for sure

A bit more awareness of how much time he has on the ball, who's where to pass to, how the ball is safely and cleanly (enough) delivered to them is what he needs to run through his mind and memorise

That and when it's on to make a run in on goal and shoot

Oda was better placed against motherwell and he should have placed it in any case, in a cool fashion

The brutal penalty incident against RC still p155e5 him off, too; I'm sure he was a bit over eager in that motherwell game to score and make up for it

Still, maybe RC finish 10th, 1 point ahead of the sheep; worth it :smuggy:

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I think we need someone like Allan Campbell and I think Allan Campbell needs a club like ours.

I'd be speaking to his agent anyway.

100%

Ricardo Quaresma
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

I don’t think we will be the only ones sniffing around either, but I’m with you if teams in England are interested it will be bottom third championship or league one.

i think we are a good option for him . 

If Naisy wants him he'd be mental to stay where he is 👍

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

If Naisy wants him he'd be mental to stay where he is 👍

👍🏻 and of course if we can agree a fee.

if we could sign the 2 players mentioned on this thread, Allan Campbell and Armstrong we’d be a much stronger side 

Gorgierools
15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

👍🏻 and of course if we can agree a fee.

if we could sign the 2 players mentioned on this thread, Allan Campbell and Armstrong we’d be a much stronger side 

Sign those 2, keep Shanks,get a RB. With Boyce and Halkett back. We're a real force

kingantti1874
29 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Sign those 2, keep Shanks,get a RB. With Boyce and Halkett back. We're a real force

not sure about Boyce, he will play a part in the squad certainly but I don’t see him as a starter.  I really think we should go out and make a real statement signing in the forward area to play with shanks 

tiger Rudi
4 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Agreed, we need a specialised RB for the squad at least. We have players that can "fill in" at RB but obviously not at the level required for it to be their main position. 

Bring a defender in first and foremost, then maybe develop him more as an attacking threat. 

BackOfTheNet
4 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Don’t want to sound insulting to someone who was a steady servant, but I do think some people think he’s better than he actually was due to him being a shining light in a terrible team for a few years in hindsight. If we get a RB I’d want one who doesn’t get turned at the corner flag every time and who could actually cross a ball, personally.

1 hour ago, Gorgierools said:

Halkett needs to prove his fitness. Same with Boyce. Can't rely on them tbf. 

4 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Yes. Can we please just sign a right sided Kingsley?!

(My shout is Jordan Williams at Barnsley.)

Lonewolflins
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Halkett needs to prove his fitness. Same with Boyce. Can't rely on them tbf. 

Boyce is finished 

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

not sure about Boyce, he will play a part in the squad certainly but I don’t see him as a starter.  I really think we should go out and make a real statement signing in the forward area to play with shanks 

Boyce lacks the pace we need. Naismith is going down the one touch route which is very effective. Boyce will be a sub at best and part of a rotational squad given the number of games we’ll play next season.

Three quality additions in the summer in the key areas and we’ll be in a very good place.

At the risk of being accused of living on the Moon, who is Alan Campbell?

Arthur Morgan
1 minute ago, Homme said:

Ex Motherwell midfielder. 

Horatio Caine
17 minutes ago, Homme said:

You been living in the moon mate?

Campbell has attained hero status on here alongside Jimmy Dunne. Except Campbell has never played fir us.