Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Batistuta87
58 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Tell you what, watching Blair Spittal fly at Bushiri and push to the deck on Saturday.

He's already my favourite Hearts player.

He ****ing hates the Hibs more than I do.

That takes some doing.

Dhanda noising them up after his 96th minute equaliser was pretty pleasing too 😂

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

LarrysRightFoot

Alan Campbell would be a great signing. Greg Doherty would be another good option in that position. No idea what their contract situations are. 

I think Alex Mowatt is out of contract in the summer but no idea if he’d come up here (his dad is Scottish I think). 

19 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Alan Campbell would be a great signing. Greg Doherty would be another good option in that position. No idea what their contract situations are. 

I think Alex Mowatt is out of contract in the summer but no idea if he’d come up here (his dad is Scottish I think). 

Campbell and Docherty are both good players and would be good options. I think both are number 8 type Central Mids, maybe slightly better versions of Niuewenhoff.

kingantti1874
17 minutes ago, TommyC said:

Campbell and Docherty are both good players and would be good options. I think both are number 8 type Central Mids, maybe slightly better versions of Niuewenhoff.

Slightly different, especially Campbell

I think nieuwenhof at the age of 23 has a huge ceiling, his passing accuracy is off the charts ridiculous.  Looking forward to what he can do in his second season as took him a while to adjust 

Bad Religion
8 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

According to elbows in the daily record we tried to sign Mikey Johnson from Celtic but he didn’t fancy the move .  Won’t post the link 

Incredible that he didn’t jump at the chance to continue his football development under Bob and Jig. 

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Incredible that he didn’t jump at the chance to continue his football development under Bob and Jig. 

🤣 agreed. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

It does, and it's why I knew Naismith was the guy to bring us to a different level,and Stendel would be a league champion this year.

I follow football.

And love the game.

Those saying about Naismith at the start saying get rid.

Didn't have a clue,he was given the same treatment as Stendel,but given time has turned a Robbie team into Winners.

Something Stendel would of done also given time.

Those that doubted Naismith,where are they now?

That still makes no sense.

I've backed Naismith,  couldn't tell you what league or division Stendel is in tho, unlike you I don't have an obsession with him.

Lots of folk follow and love football.

I never said get rid, although I wasn't 100% on tbe change, I have defended Naismith, unlike yourself I don't make up nicknames or hold grudges. 

Bobs record is 1st, 3rd, 2st, 3rd, 4th- Stendel wouldn’t have got us that, anyway none if us will know.

Naismith has gotten us 3rd again, with a chance of bettering a final pk penalty shoot out defeat, he's doing well.

No idea why you need to put down a good former manager to justify your stance on the current one.

You are very weird and your logic is scrambled- at best.

36 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I've backed Naismith,  couldn't tell you what league or division Stendel is in tho, unlike you I don't have an obsession with him.

I never said get rid, although I wasn't 100% on tbe change, I have defended Naismith, unlike yourself I don't make up nicknames or hold grudges. 

Bobs record is 1st, 3rd, 2st, 3rd, 4th- Stendel wouldn’t have got us that, anyway none if us will know.

Naismith has gotten us 3rd again, with a chance of bettering a final pk penalty shoot out defeat, he's doing well.

No idea why you need to put down a good former manager to justify your stance on the current one.

Here we go again

:rofl:

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Slightly different, especially Campbell

I think nieuwenhof at the age of 23 has a huge ceiling, his passing accuracy is off the charts ridiculous.  Looking forward to what he can do in his second season as took him a while to adjust 

Yep absolutely. I like the Hoff too, and think he'll be a really good player for us. 

I was meaning more in terms of role in the midfield, ie. #6, #8 or #10. I'd classify both Docherty and Campbell as #8s (same with Hoff), but I think some are viewing Campbell as a #6, which I'm not sure he mainly plays as.

13 minutes ago, TommyC said:

Yep absolutely. I like the Hoff too, and think he'll be a really good player for us. 

I was meaning more in terms of role in the midfield, ie. #6, #8 or #10. I'd classify both Docherty and Campbell as #8s (same with Hoff), but I think some are viewing Campbell as a #6, which I'm not sure he mainly plays as.

Yeah, Campbell is an 8 type for sure. Campbell and Hoff alongside a holder in a classic 4-3-3 would be great. In a 4-2-3-1, I think it'd be either Hoff or Campbell playing. If we signed him, which we won't! 

BigAlim
13 minutes ago, Pingu said:

Yeah, Campbell is an 8 type for sure. Campbell and Hoff alongside a holder in a classic 4-3-3 would be great. In a 4-2-3-1, I think it'd be either Hoff or Campbell playing. If we signed him, which we won't! 

Campbell and Hoff would be a good old school midfield partnership imo, both can do a bit of everything 

LarrysRightFoot
2 hours ago, TommyC said:

I wouldn’t want anyone to come in and stunt the Hoffs progress. I think he has a really high ceiling and could make us millions in a a couple of seasons. 

I think guys like Doherty and Campbell could come in and compliment him and their experience would really help us as IMO even though some of our midfielders have good individual performances the midfield as a unit has not functioned properly for a long time. 

14 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I wouldn’t want anyone to come in and stunt the Hoffs progress. I think he has a really high ceiling and could make us millions in a a couple of seasons. 

I think guys like Doherty and Campbell could come in and compliment him and their experience would really help us as IMO even though some of our midfielders have good individual performances the midfield as a unit has not functioned properly for a long time. 

Spot on there. 

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

For those who are interested in Herr Stendel, his Hannover B team are 7 points clear at the top of the 4th tier German Regional League North.

johnking123

RB,CB,CM and CF if shankland leaves. That core of team could do a bit more quality. Another centre-back like Kent and a real quality midfielder is going to be important. 

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

RB,CB,CM and CF if shankland leaves. That core of team could do a bit more quality. Another centre-back like Kent and a real quality midfielder is going to be important. 

Be a hell of a coup, but I'd love to get Cedric Kipre in :lol:  Back 3 of Kent Kipre Rowles isn't conceding goals! hahaha

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, TommyC said:

Spot on there. 

Yip, and we'll have around 60 games next season,  need good options, football isn't about a starting 11 anymore.

14 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

would be amazing.  We tried before he went, and reportedly he wants back up the road

I expect us to spend some money this season, Allan Campbell, Danny Armstrong and a right back we’d have a very very strong side  👌🏻

Seen this mentioned a few times on here is there any evidence of him saying this or where that shout came from? Would help us lure him here if true.

Definitely the 2 guys I want to see us spend money on and would be worth that little bit extra I reckon. 2 instant starters who'd improve us massively.

Edited by Chimp

RustyRightPeg
11 hours ago, Norm said:

For those who are interested in Herr Stendel, his Hannover B team are 7 points clear at the top of the 4th tier German Regional League North.

Don't. He'll be here any minute telling us we should've backed him and he should still be in charge!

RustyRightPeg
15 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

still think we should be making Allan Campbell #1 target in that position 

Would be a statement signing for sure. 

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Don't. He'll be here any minute telling us we should've backed him and he should still be in charge!

He already has.

RustyRightPeg
6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He already has.

Must've missed it 🤣

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think we should sign this guy Baningime, looks pretty decent to me. Whatever we can.

HopeDiouf
2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I think we should sign this guy Baningime, looks pretty decent to me. Whatever we can.

I'd take him if he was intereseted, but doesn't seem to want to sign, so we move on.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, HopeDiouf said:

I'd take him if he was intereseted, but doesn't seem to want to sign, so we move on.

Not sure, seemed to be quite keen on the new additions. Probably better to come, he might just surprise us

Among other things, Baningime is the best (or one of the best) midfielders in the league at passing when he's under pressure. That's backed up by the stats.

If we have to replace him this summer, that's a key attribute we should be looking for imo. Not turning over the ball in dangerous areas has probably been an underrated part of our success this season. Tait is probably the only player who has been able to deputise for him in that aspect. In other games where neither have started we've tended to struggle (e.g. Ross County and Hibs at home).

Is that really Campbell's game, or is he actually more similar to Devlin or Nieuwenhof? If it's the latter then that money would be better spent on a proper Baningime replacement imo.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Among other things, Baningime is the best (or one of the best) midfielders in the league at passing when he's under pressure. That's backed up by the stats.

If we have to replace him this summer, that's a key attribute we should be looking for imo. Not turning over the ball in dangerous areas has probably been an underrated part of our success this season. Tait is probably the only player who has been able to deputise for him in that aspect. In other games where neither have started we've tended to struggle (e.g. Ross County and Hibs at home).

Is that really Campbell's game, or is he actually more similar to Devlin or Nieuwenhof? If it's the latter then that money would be better spent on a proper Baningime replacement imo.

Campbell is box to box. 

Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Campbell is box to box. 

Yeah, that's how I see it. A good player obviously and possibly better than what we have, but his type isn't top priority for me if Beni leaves.

HopeDiouf
8 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Not sure, seemed to be quite keen on the new additions. Probably better to come, he might just surprise us

the fact he even said that annoyed me tbh.  Not his place.  Seems to think he is better than us, when reality is we have replaced much better players than him.,

Edited by HopeDiouf

Just now, DC_92 said:

Yeah, that's how I see it. A good player obviously and possibly better than what we have, but his type isn't top priority for me if Beni leaves.

Why? we don't have another box to box midfielder at the club. Also if he's better than what we have you take him if it's doable.

26 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Why? we don't have another box to box midfielder at the club. Also if he's better than what we have you take him if it's doable.

Because of what I said in my previous post about replacing Baningime with a similar player who will anchor the midfield and keep the ball under pressure.

I'd see Campbell playing more of the Nieuwenhof or Devlin role in the 3-man midfield we use. Perhaps he'd be an upgrade on those players, but with a limited budget, upgrading on them would be low down the priority list for me. Low priority + high cost = unlikely to happen imo.

5 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Because of what I said in my previous post about replacing Baningime with a similar player who will anchor the midfield and keep the ball under pressure.

I'd see Campbell playing more of the Nieuwenhof or Devlin role in the 3-man midfield we use. Perhaps he'd be an upgrade on those players, but with a limited budget, upgrading on them would be low down the priority list for me. Low priority + high cost = unlikely to happen imo.

I understand the Neiuwenhof comparison, both very box to box all rounders, but struggling a bit with Devlin. Beni & Devlin although having different playing styles, are very similar in both being clear ball winners. Devlin absolutely trying to work on his game to be more of an all rounder, but his core game is winning the ball back. 

If can get Campbell in, we absolutely must do it. Can fiddle about with the midfield to get the best out of it, but if there is a chance to do it. I'd be over the moon. 

Big issue going into the summer remains RB, if there was a chance to get Eli Dasa in, I'd absolutely be all over that. Think his contract in Russia is up, and Israeli players have typically fared pretty well in Scotland. Age obviously a concern, but quality wise, he'd be a real coup IMO. Failing that, I'd like to see us make a move for Deyovaisio Zeefuik, great pedigree, brother can obviously sell the club and looks like he needs to get his career back on track - what better place to do it than here? I think Ryan Strain will go to England, but if not then he'd also be a solid option. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

I understand the Neiuwenhof comparison, both very box to box all rounders, but struggling a bit with Devlin. Beni & Devlin although having different playing styles, are very similar in both being clear ball winners. Devlin absolutely trying to work on his game to be more of an all rounder, but his core game is winning the ball back. 

If can get Campbell in, we absolutely must do it. Can fiddle about with the midfield to get the best out of it, but if there is a chance to do it. I'd be over the moon. 

Big issue going into the summer remains RB, if there was a chance to get Eli Dasa in, I'd absolutely be all over that. Think his contract in Russia is up, and Israeli players have typically fared pretty well in Scotland. Age obviously a concern, but quality wise, he'd be a real coup IMO. Failing that, I'd like to see us make a move for Deyovaisio Zeefuik, great pedigree, brother can obviously sell the club and looks like he needs to get his career back on track - what better place to do it than here? I think Ryan Strain will go to England, but if not then he'd also be a solid option. 

Agreed.

We could do with more and better midfielders anyway.

Haring, Haliday away, likley Beni.

I can also  see one of Grant/Devlin leaving.

Tait is OK and developing but he's not gonna elevate us, the likes of Campbell will.

We need at least 5 quality midfielders with different attributes 

Hoff

Dhanda

Grant/ Devlin

Beni replaced 

1 other, Campbell would be brilliant. 

Denhom/ tait as youth back up.

Imo Denholm will leave this or next season,  likes of Livingston is my guess.

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Do you think we've given up on Riku Handa?

I hope so. Japanese league doesn't look very physical, he doesn't look to have played much because of his injury.. 

I know that you can make any arguement for/against a player, but I've not been impressed by our foray into the East Asian market. Korea was a massive waste of time and delivered nothing, and Japan has been pretty disappointing. 

I'd rather we focused our attention within Europe. Zeefuiks wee brother interests me, clearly lost his way a wee bit and plays a position we have a clear need to fill (plus out of contract). Talent obvious, but needs to settle somewhere he can play every week. 

GinRummy
58 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agreed.

We could do with more and better midfielders anyway.

Haring, Haliday away, likley Beni.

I can also  see one of Grant/Devlin leaving.

Tait is OK and developing but he's not gonna elevate us, the likes of Campbell will.

We need at least 5 quality midfielders with different attributes 

Hoff

Dhanda

Grant/ Devlin

Beni replaced 

1 other, Campbell would be brilliant. 

Denhom/ tait as youth back up.

Imo Denholm will leave this or next season,  likes of Livingston is my guess.

Good post. There have been many posts factoring in our younger players but your post sums it up. They’ll still get chances with a midfield of 5 or 6 senior players. We’ve been short in midfield for a couple of seasons, for various reasons. It needs sorted this summer. 

johnking123

Clark 

McNamara Kent Kipre Kingsley

Nieuwenhof Campbell

Dhanda

Amstrong Shankland Spittal

Go on then, we can dream!

15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Good post. There have been many posts factoring in our younger players but your post sums it up. They’ll still get chances with a midfield of 5 or 6 senior players. We’ve been short in midfield for a couple of seasons, for various reasons. It needs sorted this summer. 

Sorted and with some joined up thinking. I think the Beni/Devlin recruitment would have worked for Neilson's 3-4-3 if they had ever played more than a handful of games together. Since then it's been who can play with Haring, who can play with Nieuwenhoff etc. and it hasn't felt balanced.

I'm hoping that as we've recruited a couple of #10s, we really think about the balance in other two other midfield positions to complement it, and recruit in that area with depth.

Leveins Battalion
20 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Clark 

Nieuwenhof Campbell

Dhanda

Oofffft that team is filthy.

kingantti1874
22 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Clark 

Nieuwenhof Campbell

Dhanda

who is McNamara 

GinRummy
12 minutes ago, TommyC said:

Sorted and with some joined up thinking. I think the Beni/Devlin recruitment would have worked for Neilson's 3-4-3 if they had ever played more than a handful of games together. Since then it's been who can play with Haring, who can play with Nieuwenhoff etc. and it hasn't felt balanced.

I'm hoping that as we've recruited a couple of #10s, we really think about the balance in other two other midfield positions to complement it, and recruit in that area with depth.

Agree with all of that. Beni and Devlin were great together for a wee while. 

db211833
23 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Stendel is managing a B team in Germany, desperate stuff. And I can't be assed searching but I called Bongo out on his flip flopping re Naismith.  He was going on about how boring we were.... until we started winning. And as for next level,bit premature.  Bongo is an absolute slaver.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Not sure my point is getting across based on the replies.

The first choice midfield three we seem to have settled on is Nieuwenhof-Baningime-Grant. There's one roaming midfielder (Nieuwenhof) one sitter (Baningime) and one playmaker (Grant).

Baningime is excellent at playing out under pressure. This helps us relieve pressure on the defence and creates space for teammates by drawing opposition players towards him.

The next best at this in the squad is probably Tait, but he's only 18. If Beni goes, I think it's essential we have recruit a player who can do this well.

If we sign Campbell, cool. But I don't think his type is someone we have to make a big play for and it shouldn't come at the expense of a proper Beni replacement. Signing the current shiny thing instead of the player you actually need is what Hibs do and it's partly why they're a mess.

28 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Clark 

Nieuwenhof Campbell

Dhanda

Kipre plays week in week out for one of the best and richest clubs in the Championship.

johnking123
3 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Not sure my point is getting across based on the replies.

The first choice midfield three we seem to have settled on is Nieuwenhof-Baningime-Grant. There's one roaming midfielder (Nieuwenhof) one sitter (Baningime) and one playmaker (Grant).

Baningime is excellent at playing out under pressure. This helps us relieve pressure on the defence and creates space for teammates by drawing opposition players towards him.

The next best at this in the squad is probably Tait, but he's only 18. If Beni goes, I think it's essential we have recruit a player who can do this well.

If we sign Campbell, cool. But I don't think his type is someone we have to make a big play for and it shouldn't come at the expense of a proper Beni replacement. Signing the current shiny thing instead of the player you actually need is what Hibs do and it's partly why they're a mess.

Campbell is a ball winning midfielder . He only got a bit more attacking with Motherwell. But down England, more of a Devlin.

GinRummy
52 minutes ago, OTT said:

I hope so. Japanese league doesn't look very physical, he doesn't look to have played much because of his injury.. 

I know that you can make any arguement for/against a player, but I've not been impressed by our foray into the East Asian market. Korea was a massive waste of time and delivered nothing, and Japan has been pretty disappointing. 

I'd rather we focused our attention within Europe. Zeefuiks wee brother interests me, clearly lost his way a wee bit and plays a position we have a clear need to fill (plus out of contract). Talent obvious, but needs to settle somewhere he can play every week. 

Sorry, the sample size is just too small. We’ve signed two players from Japan and none from South Korea. It’s like saying if Vargas doesn’t work out well we should avoid Central America. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Sorry, the sample size is just too small. We’ve signed two players from Japan and none from South Korea. It’s like saying if Vargas doesn’t work out well we should avoid Central America. 

I was talking partly about the time sink in chasing players from that part of the world, by all accounts has been a very time consuming process and dealing with very resistant selling clubs. 

I would rather use that time to take a more granular look through the Eastern European markets to see if we can churn up some obscure talent. 

There is no doubt that the Japanese players are technically very good players, but unlike Celtic, the ones we've ended up with are the inconsistent ones that struggle to adapt. 

5 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Campbell is a ball winning midfielder . He only got a bit more attacking with Motherwell. But down England, more of a Devlin.

That's how I see it and that's what I said earlier. A better version of Devlin with more to his game.

But Devlin doesn't play the sitting role under Naismith. He tends to play the "number 8" role where he has more freedom to get around the pitch and win the ball back. That's where I'd most likely see Campbell in our team.

Again, though, the point is that Beni is really good at taking the ball and keeping under pressure. Can Campbell do that? If not and Beni leaves then we'd need another to come in on top of Campbell. Signing Campbell AND a quality Beni replacement is probably too much to ask.