Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

GinRummy
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I was talking partly about the time sink in chasing players from that part of the world, by all accounts has been a very time consuming process and dealing with very resistant selling clubs. 

I would rather use that time to take a more granular look through the Eastern European markets to see if we can churn up some obscure talent. 

There is no doubt that the Japanese players are technically very good players, but unlike Celtic, the ones we've ended up with are the inconsistent ones that struggle to adapt. 

Aye but there’s only been two of them. I get where you’re coming from but I’d hope we’d have an eye on that market the same as any other. I’m not suggesting to overly focus on it and agree the East European leagues are something we should look at. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Good post. There have been many posts factoring in our younger players but your post sums it up. They’ll still get chances with a midfield of 5 or 6 senior players. We’ve been short in midfield for a couple of seasons, for various reasons. It needs sorted this summer. 

A good midfielder these days is hard to find.

The ball winning, technical kind,

Please Hearts  find the controlling type,

Please just don't be the kio kiiind 

My expectations may be high, I blame it on my youth.

Bongo 1874
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

It’s not one of the things most fans enjoy, especially when it’s happening more than us scoring. 

Funny looking at the league table would suggest different? +12 Goal difference last time i checked.

gregzy2k7
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Sorry, the sample size is just too small. We’ve signed two players from Japan and none from South Korea. It’s like saying if Vargas doesn’t work out well we should avoid Central America. 

I agree,

I think we have done alright in the asian market tbf,

Oda is a good player and Tagawa while not been a success, still hasn't really had a run in the team,

I would definitely like to see us try central or south American market and Japanese markets again.

RustyRightPeg

Go and pay the money for McCowan. 

Edited by RustyRightPeg

8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

And Lyall Cameron. I'd take them both and happily be way overstocked in these areas of the pitch!

14 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

100%. 

Absolute no brainer. Looks a very handy player. 

bawheed
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

100%. 

Absolute no brainer. Looks a very handy player. 

Makes you wonder why we let Jordan McGee go 7 years ago watching him now as Dundee captain and still only 27.

Bongo 1874
3 minutes ago, bawheed said:

Makes you wonder why we let Jordan McGee go 7 years ago watching him now as Dundee captain and still only 27.

Got slaughtered years ago,for saying he was good enough for us.

Some Hearts fans don't give anyone a chance.

But are prepared to give others 2-3 years off running the club into the ground.

Work that one out 🤔.

Edited by Bongo 1874

4 minutes ago, bawheed said:

Gave away stupid penalties and had a bad attitude 

naeclue
15 minutes ago, bawheed said:

I don't think there was any way we could have made him stay.

He looked decent tonight, and can play right back.  Maybe worth a go?  

bawheed
8 minutes ago, naeclue said:

I don't think there was any way we could have made him stay.

He looked decent tonight, and can play right back.  Maybe worth a go?  

He played RB for hearts and was better than the two we have now.

1 minute ago, bawheed said:

Couldn't get a look in coz we had Paterson at RB. And central defence was Ozturk and Wilson. Was it the season after that where he gave away that bizarre hand ball penalty late on at Pitoddrie?

bawheed
21 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Gave away stupid penalties and had a bad attitude 

Don’t remember that but he’s sorted him self out now.

Also scored more goals than both our CBs but together.

1 minute ago, bawheed said:

Don’t remember that but he’s sorted him self out now.

Also scored more goals than both our CBs but together.

Aye he seems a threat in the opposition Box. Scored twice against us this season. 👌 

Dunno about his defensive abilities nowadays 

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, bawheed said:

Cos he was shite and not good enough at the time. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, bawheed said:

He wasn't back then.

He was poor.

bawheed
5 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Couldn't get a look in coz we had Paterson at RB. And central defence was Ozturk and Wilson. Was it the season after that where he gave away that bizarre hand ball penalty late on at 

2 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Aye he seems a threat in the opposition Box. Scored twice against us this season. 👌 

Dunno about his defensive abilities nowadays 

To be fair he was 19 or 20 when he did that and hasn’t done anything that daft since.

bawheed
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

He wasn't back then.

He was poor.

Disagree and he would walk into a Hearts team imho

Bazzas right boot
Just now, bawheed said:

Disagree and he would walk into a Hearts team imho

Dunno about now, but he was shite back then, Patterson and Smith were better players at rb.

CH do peak later tho and he's doing  well.

Not sure  he'd Improve us and hopefully we aim higher, better rbs out there.

I doubt we'll be after him.

gorgierulesapply88

Jordan Mcghee is NOT good enough for Hearts, never has been.

• Moderators
JKBMod 13

Please be reminded that spamming with off topic posts is a quick way to get yourself removed from this thread.

If your post is not about this coming summer transfer window then please don't post it.

Thanks.

Stendelnator

If anyone remembers our 3-2 defeat to Falkirk, they'll know why Jordan McGhee never made it at Hearts. 

Jordan McGhee and Daniel Stendel …………. ****ing hell

It is like some people want us to be pish

Enthused by our early business and I expect we will continue in that vein going forwards , plus a sprinkling of more exotic players to compliment the tried and tested 

10 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Got slaughtered years ago,for saying he was good enough for us.

Some Hearts fans don't give anyone a chance.

But are prepared to give others 2-3 years off running the club into the ground.

Work that one out 🤔.

He was extremely arrogant about it and didn't sound like his agent was keeping his feet on the ground. 

Gave away that utter horror show of a penalty against Aberdeen, and still had that arrogance about him. Then pushed for that idiotic move to Middlesborough's U23s where his crowning achievement appeared to be sitting on an exercise bike next to Victor Valdes.. 

He was an utter chode. And hopefully his time at Falkirk humbled him a bit. 

Although, to his credit he now seems to be turning into a pretty decent player. 

kingantti1874

I think we will be in for the obvious targets this summer and see what happens. Campbell, Phillips, Mccowan, Cameron again, Danny Armstrong.

Beyond that, I think we will be looking further afield for defensive reinforcements and another striker.  No obvious candidates for that role 

13 hours ago, OTT said:

I was talking partly about the time sink in chasing players from that part of the world, by all accounts has been a very time consuming process and dealing with very resistant selling clubs. 

I would rather use that time to take a more granular look through the Eastern European markets to see if we can churn up some obscure talent. 

There is no doubt that the Japanese players are technically very good players, but unlike Celtic, the ones we've ended up with are the inconsistent ones that struggle to adapt

This basically makes your whole post contradictory. Saying we shouldn't be in that market for reasons you mentioned but in the same breath saying it does work because Celtic have proved that? Sort of screams that shopping in that part of the world can prove successful as we've seen. Just because we've signed a player who's struggled a bit to adapt in Tagawa doesn't mean a whole region should be discounted. 

Also, Oda has contributed and shown he has ability and potential. He's scored some important and well taken goals for us and many seem to forget he's still young. He was never signed as an instant starter, the management said they viewed him as one they were looking to develop.

RustyRightPeg
10 hours ago, bawheed said:

His attitude was rank at the time. 

3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

This basically makes your whole post contradictory. Saying we shouldn't be in that market for reasons you mentioned but in the same breath saying it does work because Celtic have proved that? Sort of screams that shopping in that part of the world can prove successful as we've seen. Just because we've signed a player who's struggled a bit to adapt in Tagawa doesn't mean a whole region should be discounted. 

Also, Oda has contributed and shown he has ability and potential. He's scored some important and well taken goals for us and many seem to forget he's still young. He was never signed as an instant starter, the management said they viewed him as one they were looking to develop.

Maybe? I just feel like we've spent an awful lot of time trying to break into that market but not really had any success. One of the most frustrating things is spending the time and effort to bring in a player like Tagawa and getting absolutely nothing out of him. 

Oda has been better, but I still don't feel like he's capable of holding down a place as a regular starter. I just think with all the effort involved in bringing players from these markets, they're not much better than what you can get at home or in Europe. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

His attitude was rank at the time. 

it was.  From a very early age, despite some obvious weakness in his game.  He felt he was too good for hearts and wasn’t hesitant to highlight it. Came across as a very arrogant kid.

that said I think he’s a decent player now.  But still wouldn’t have him back

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Maybe? I just feel like we've spent an awful lot of time trying to break into that market but not really had any success. One of the most frustrating things is spending the time and effort to bring in a player like Tagawa and getting absolutely nothing out of him. 

Oda has been better, but I still don't feel like he's capable of holding down a place as a regular starter. I just think with all the effort involved in bringing players from these markets, they're not much better than what you can get at home or in Europe. 

agreed. 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

But Tagawa is the only example of it really not working. It's not like we've had countless imports from East Asia that haven't worked. To suggest we shouldn't be looking there because one player has struggled initially, while noting that others have been successful in Scotland just makes zero sense to me. 

You think it isn't worth the effort to bring in players outwith Europe, so would that mean they shouldn't have bothered with Vargas then? 

2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

But Tagawa is the only example of it really not working. It's not like we've had countless imports from East Asia that haven't worked. To suggest we shouldn't be looking there because one player has struggled initially, while noting that others have been successful in Scotland just makes zero sense to me. 

You think it isn't worth the effort to bring in players outwith Europe, so would that mean they shouldn't have bothered with Vargas then? 

Vargas has been extremely low cost, so I don't think its quite the same. If anything, we should be looking at that market again. But we already know that Japanese clubs are disinclined to want to sell, and are happy to move the goalposts. Its also not as poor a league, so as has already happened with the lad that went to Germany, we can lose players pretty easily despite sinking massive amounts of time to getting the deal done. 

Appreciate we have different views on this, so aren't likely to agree :) 

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Let's be honest, looking at Celtic's success, particularly in the Japanese market, why wouldn't we look?

Having said that, they signed what 4/5 players, 2 of them have been successes in Kyogo and Maeda. Iwata, Ideguchi (already back in Japan) and the others who's name I've forgotten are still struggling to establish themselves.

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I like Oda and I think he will come good 

He already is coming good, he's improving yet he gets a harder time by some because he's from overseas and people expect more. It always happens, foreign youngsters are expected to hit the ground running and given far less time to settle and ease their way in than our own academy players. Look at Vargas and Hof, hardly started brilliantly but there were plenty moans and groans about them in the first half of the season even though they were only 21/22

Batistuta87
11 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Tagawa's time on the pitch has been both limited and sporadic because Shankland has made himself completely undroppable. We can't even sub him off. He's been really unlucky in that sesne and for me, hasn't had enough time on the pitch to really decide if he's going to be any good to us - only really getting short burts of minutes here and there (and a total of 500-odd minutes all season). I think he could be good but needs a run in the team - and isn't going to get that with Shankland and Vargas both playing well. He's been extremely unlucky and I think if he had the same minutes as Vargas he would be performing to a similar level. 

Edited by Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

He already is coming good, he's improving yet he gets a harder time by some because he's from overseas and people expect more. It always happens, foreign youngsters are expected to hit the ground running and given far less time to settle and ease their way in than our own academy players. Look at Vargas and Hof, hardly started brilliantly but there were plenty moans and groans about them in the first half of the season even though they were only 21/22

I have seen what he is capable of with my own eyes and I like what I see . He struggled a bit on returning from injury . He is tenacious and does not give up the ball without a fight . Come good was probably the wrong term to use . Consistently recapture his best form and keep improving is probably more accurate 

HopeDiouf
3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Tagawa's time on the pitch has been both limited and sporadic because Shankland has made himself completely undroppable. We can't even sub him off. He's been really unlucky in that sesne and for me, hasn't had enough time on the pitch to really decide if he's going to be any good to us - only really getting short burts of minutes here and there (and a total of 500-odd minutes all season). I think he could be good but needs a run in the team - and isn't going to get that with Shankland and Vargas both playing well. He's been extremely unlucky and I think if he had the same minutes as Vargas he would be performing to a similar level. 

if he had performed to any level, he'd have had more minutes.  Manager doesn't trust him, hence he only gets game time if the game is dead.

RustyRightPeg

If Oda plays against Barisic on Sunday he terrorizes him on that big pitch.

Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Let's be honest, looking at Celtic's success, particularly in the Japanese market, why wouldn't we look?

Having said that, they signed what 4/5 players, 2 of them have been successes in Kyogo and Maeda. Iwata, Ideguchi (already back in Japan) and the others who's name I've forgotten are still struggling to establish themselves.

Yep. In any market there's going to be failures and successes though. It's like saying we shouldn't sign anyone from the lower leagues in England again because Cole Stockton was pish. Or let's never sign a guy from Africa again because Oshaniwa was murder. Any player from any country can struggle to adapt to a new club, there's no guarantees. You can also end up with success stories though and often get better value for money, which is why I think the club are looking in these places further afield.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

And Vargas ball over the top please

Famous 1874

Jordan McGhee was shite and is still shite. 

Thankfully we will be aiming far higher 

HopeDiouf
7 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Oda caused them problems last semi final when he came on.

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I agree. He's been unlucky so far and I think that's a big part of what it comes down to and unfortunate with injuries to begin with. I'm in the same boat, I need to see more of him to make my mind up about him as a player. He genuinely hasn't had a proper run in the side and it's difficult to make your mark when it's limited mostly to a few sub appearances and have the best striker in Scotland playing in your position - who also happens to be captain and rarely ever subbed. Be interesting to see if Naisy sticks with him in the summer or looks to move him on.

Batistuta87
12 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

if he had performed to any level, he'd have had more minutes.  Manager doesn't trust him, hence he only gets game time if the game is dead.

Nah. Manager can't drop Shankland to play him. Simple as. 

HopeDiouf
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nah. Manager can't drop Shankland to play him. Simple as. 

if that were true, then he'd get in when Shankland injured. He doesn't.  Even stuck Fraser up front the other week rather than bring him on when game wasn't dead.

Edited by HopeDiouf

1 minute ago, HopeDiouf said:

if that were true, then he'd get in when Shankland injured. He doesn't.  Even stuck Fraser up front the other week rather than bring him on when game wasn't dead.

Or his style of play might not suit that game? The other week there was a hurricane at St Mirren, hardly a great idea to play someone who's main strength is running in behind with pace. 

HopeDiouf
Just now, Chimp said:

Or his style of play might not suit that game? The other week there was a hurricane at St Mirren, hardly a great idea to play someone who's main strength is running in behind with pace. 

it seems there are a million excuses for him, but bottom line is if he'd performed better on chances he has had, he'd have had more game time.  The manager doesn't have favourites as far as I can see - players get picked or not based on how they perform.