Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

jamboinglasgow
11 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Would like to see us push the boat out for Lyall Cameron. Left footed midfielder,  young, scores and worth breaking our transfer record for. 

Would be delighted if we could get him, I see he has 1 year left on his contract so who knows.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

johnking123
5 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Good player and one we should have got last year for free but he is right footed.

Ha, so he is. But still, it be great signing.

Leveins Battalion
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It is actually just a twist of fate that led to him being at a club up here tbh . He has played at a high level in England for a lot longer . I know these things can sometimes just not work out , but if he does fulfill his potential he will be electric 

Spoke with Yans family at the game on Sunday,they are all absolutely buzzing to get him down the Road to Hearts.

Leveins Battalion

I'd take any 1 of Cameron,McCowan and Arsmstrong.👌🏻

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

Spoke with Yans family at the game on Sunday,they are all absolutely buzzing to get him down the Road to Hearts.

I know some folk from down where he was born and lived as a kid , mostly West Brom fans , they speak really highly about him . Desi blokes like him who grew up in the same areas 

Leveins Battalion
12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I know some folk from down where he was born and lived as a kid , mostly West Brom fans , they speak really highly about him . Desi blokes like him who grew up in the same areas 

I think Yans pretty much a mix of Indian,English and Scottish,lucky for us his family up here are PHM 🇱🇻

3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I think Yans pretty much a mix of Indian,English and Scottish,lucky for us his family up here are PHM 🇱🇻

Yeah seems to be the case , so is my family 

Uncle Buck
36 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Why one? I want all three 🤣

1 hour ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Good player and one we should have got last year for free but he is right footed.

I think he decided to continue his uni degree so wanted to stay in Dundee. In which case I'm not sure it was ever possible to get him for free given his own priorities at the time.

gregzy2k7
1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Yep agree with that,

Hope we can at least get one of them, 

I would say the most likely to sign would be McCowan imo

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Yep agree with that,

Hope we can at least get one of them, 

I would say the most likely to sign would be McCowan imo

Based on what?

gregzy2k7
12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Based on what?

Just my opinion, I feel the other two would cost more given their age and potential? I think Cameron is only 23 or around that ? and also Danny Armstrong is Killie's best player by a mile and most sellable asset so they won't allow him to go for cheap imo.

McCowan just seems like one where we could work out a deal for about 3 or 400k or something along those lines.

Let's see, I would happily be proved wrong and we get 2 out of the 3 or perhaps even all 3.

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Just my opinion, I feel the other two would cost more given their age and potential? I think Cameron is only 23 or around that ? and also Danny Armstrong is Killie's best player by a mile and most sellable asset so they won't allow him to go for cheap imo.

McCowan just seems like one where we could work out a deal for about 3 or 400k or something along those lines.

Let's see, I would happily be proved wrong and we get 2 out of the 3 or perhaps even all 3.

Fair enough.  Are we actually interested in any of them though? 🤷

Pasquale for King
13 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Totally, he's a prime example of "hibs class" in every way.  Bang average, actually a thug, but fully romanticised and overhyped.

Same as you on the injury.  Never one to celebrate it but this one, after his challenge on Bazza in the semi, his assault in another derby last season and then his attempt to hurt Beni after having the pish taken out of him.  This was sweet.  A deserved injury.

Agree with both of you, couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy, Karma you could say. 

gregzy2k7
38 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Fair enough.  Are we actually interested in any of them though? 🤷

There's been nothing concrete in the press or from the club, but I would hope so, As I think any of them would improve our team.

Pasquale for King

Not exactly that exciting but I am looking forward to seeing who we have lined up ro solve our RB problem 😆🤪?!?!

Arthur Morgan
1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I think Cameron is only 23 or around that ?

I checked earlier, surprisingly he's still only 21.

14 hours ago, OTT said:

Forrest signed a 2 year extension in January, so I think unfortunately that is something that would need to be worked round.

To my mind, we cannot go into big games with Forrest in our starting 11, those screen grabs which highlight his piss poor decision making boil my blood every time I see them. I do agree that £1m for Armstrong is too much, but with just a year left on his contract, I don't think Killie can demand that with a straight face. Somewhere in the region of £500k I think is about fair. Although, if they don't want to sell then we're stuck. But still worth kicking the tire and seeing what they think. McInnes won't be happy, but if we could do the deal where Forrest is going there, I think that solves his problem, solves our problem and keeps Forrest playing football at a good level. - He's not awful, its just he's not got the bottle for the big games or extra bit of quality to help us push on. 

Based on the evidence of our last couple of Hampden trips / recent Rangers games I'd say he's not alone.

mitch41
12 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Same .  Everytime I watch him I think he be perfect for us . He’s tenacious and hard working, he’s arrogant and doesn’t fear anyone and he doesn’t panic in the final third and more often that not picks the right pass or cross and delivers it with a bit of quality .  Would happily spend a chunk of the Euro money on him, and with Dhanda and Spittal already in the bag our midfield would be transformed in terms of calmness in the final third.  Which was a major problem in Sunday. 

Armstrong reminds me of wee Jesus who played in the 2012 Cup Final.

cosanostra

Naismith is clearly trying to bring in some intelligence into the final 3rd. Dhanda and Spittal are calm on the ball and can make things happen and hurt other teams. 

If we can afford Armstrong, he'd be massive for us with Barrie on the left.

Gorgierools
9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Why one? I want all three 🤣

And we could afford to do so. What a statement that would be.

FarmerTweedy
21 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s fine but taking the emotion out of it the business question is a tough one.  In Cochranes case, one year left on his current contract, if a club offers us £500k for him and we reject it because it’s too low and the window closes we have effectively decided to pay an extra £10k per week to retain Cochranes services for one more season. Is he really worth £13/14k per week to us?  The numbers get even tougher to justify if you insert Shanklands name and a £1.5m fee. We would effectively be paying circa  £35k pw for one more year. Fans would probably be up in arms if we accepted either offer. Tough one for the powers that be. 

It's not a tough one for them at all.  They'd absolutely laugh a £1.5m offer for Shankland out of town, and it'd be the same story with a £500k bid for Cochrane. You're absolutely delusional if you think the club would consider bids at that level for those players. 

FarmerTweedy
21 hours ago, OTT said:

I'm not sure, I think its a conversation that Naismith, Forrest & Savage would need to have. IMO its as simple as emphasising his minutes are going to be non-existant if he stays. 

I think he won a watch getting the move to us, his actual ability level is more aligned with a midtable side (better than Livi, worse than Hearts). At 27, he's in his prime, and I think the sensible thing to do would be to go where he's going to play. If that means we top up a portion of his wages or whatever, then fine. Whatever it takes to get the deal done. Killie are also not a diddy team, so would be a good move if he can get a 3/4 year contract. 

I get that some folk don't rate him at all and wouldn't have him anywhere near our team, and I'm not a great fan of him myself, but the reality is that he's only recently been given a contract extension, and just been picked to start a cup semifinal. His form may have declined a bit in recent weeks after a good spell around the middle of the season, but he's obviously rated by Naismith, and his minutes are clearly not going to be non-existent if he stays, whether we sign someone like Armstrong or not. 

2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I get that some folk don't rate him at all and wouldn't have him anywhere near our team, and I'm not a great fan of him myself, but the reality is that he's only recently been given a contract extension, and just been picked to start a cup semifinal. His form may have declined a bit in recent weeks after a good spell around the middle of the season, but he's obviously rated by Naismith, and his minutes are clearly not going to be non-existent if he stays, whether we sign someone like Armstrong or not. 

He's a survivor, that's for sure. I thought his game time would be minimal this season, and I was very wrong. But with the arrival of Dhanda and Spittal, the return of McKay and the ongoing development of Vargas and Oda, surely he is falling down the pecking order?

Ricardo Quaresma
23 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Naismith keeps banging on about doing things faster and making better decisions. Quite regularly tbh.

But who has a ceiling on learning that and who simple can't do it? We won't be doing it if we can't do it.

We definitely need to recruit a more clinical wide man IMO.

Definitely seemed an issue on Sunday, however, some players have done better in the past regarding thes aspects and they really shouldn't be overawed by the occasion; quite baffling, really

LarrysRightFoot
38 minutes ago, Pingu said:

He's a survivor, that's for sure. I thought his game time would be minimal this season, and I was very wrong. But with the arrival of Dhanda and Spittal, the return of McKay and the ongoing development of Vargas and Oda, surely he is falling down the pecking order?

His work rate and tenacity are valuable. It’s something other players with more ability should be trying to emulate. 

Armstrong is very similar in that regard but a more polished player. 

7 hours ago, Carter said:

Based on the evidence of our last couple of Hampden trips / recent Rangers games I'd say he's not alone.

True. Do think he's hugely culpable though.

Dia Liom
7 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Armstrong reminds me of wee Jesus who played in the 2012 Cup Final.

Suso Santana? He played like wee Jesus that day, to be fair

48 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

His work rate and tenacity are valuable. It’s something other players with more ability should be trying to emulate. 

Armstrong is very similar in that regard but a more polished player. 

Problem is the end product. Rarely plays the right ball at the right time, and he can't take corners either, which for a winger is bloody weird. 

As you say, Armstrong much more polished, and can actually take a corner :lol: 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Rather than settle for SPFL players, I'd rather get in some guys with proper technical ability, strong on the ball, take it on the half turn and retain possession. Style of play we have these are the types who will make the difference.

4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Rather than settle for SPFL players, I'd rather get in some guys with proper technical ability, strong on the ball, take it on the half turn and retain possession. Style of play we have these are the types who will make the difference.

Agreed . We have made some good PCA signings by the look of it and these guys are always welcome . If we are losing Beni though , I hope we are able to bring in two midfielders of the sort you describe here . The lack of such players was exposed in the group stages last time around 

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

if we can find any we can afford yes, the problem is.  In our segment of the market these are usually big gambles and fail more often than they succeed.

that maolida at hibs for example cost £10m and had severe attitude issues. 

Scotland has been left behind financially and we simply can’t afford players that are likely to succeeed

Edited by kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

if we can find any we can afford yes, the problem is.  In our segment of the market these are usually big gambles and fail more often than they succeed.

that maolida at hibs for example cost £10m and had sever attitude issues. 

Scotland has been left behind financially and we simply can’t afford players that are likely to succeeed

Definitely wont be easy . What a difference it would make though especially in midfield 

johnking123
7 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Agree too. Lyall Cameron and another very good bit more experienced midfielder would be good business. Especially as Beni will be going.

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Definitely wont be easy . What a difference it would make though especially in midfield 

100% mate.  And I totally agree.  But I think that’s why so many including myself are pointing to Armstrong.  I’m 90% confident in him.  

we have been burned so many times.  

what’s that kid who played for Rosenborg doing 😍

sverre nypan.  We can dream eh 🤣

Edited by kingantti1874

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

100% mate.  And I totally agree.  But I think that’s why so many including myself are pointing to Armstrong.  I’m 90% confident in him.  

Yeah whether it is Armstrong or another in that profile , I think it is going to take a reasonable fee and even then there are no guarantees . Fiorentina and Istanbul were real eye openers in terms of quality of individual players 

RustyRightPeg
16 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Is it settling if the players improve our squad though? 

I can confidently say for example that based on what I've seen this season Lyall Cameron and Luke McCowan are far more comfortable taking the ball on the half turn than Devlin. I'd take either over him currently.  

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

that maolida at hibs for example cost £10m and had severe attitude issues. 

If I’d managed to land myself a $10m transfer, but somehow ended up on loan at Hibs, I’d have bloody severe attitude issues…..

1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I can confidently say for example that based on what I've seen this season Lyall Cameron and Luke McCowan are far more comfortable taking the ball on the half turn than Devlin. I'd take either over him currently.  

I just want to see us using money wisely. Boaking on paying domestic fees, whilst wasting money on the likes of Kio and Tagawa is kind of offensive. Especially when players like Cameron, McCowan & Armstrong are availible. 

Assuming we sell Cochrane & get the European money, we could be taking £7/8m all in from that. Fair enough, we won't get the Europe prize money until the end of next season, but we should still have enough freed up from Cochranes sale to at least bring in one of Armstrong or McCowan. Even if just for 12 months, a front line of Shankland supported by McKay, Armstrong, Dhanda & Spittal is the best attackers in the league outside of the OF. But I believe Armstrong is the difference between a good attack and an excellent attack. 

Oh and if we did get Armstrong, we'd see the end of McKays/Cochranes corners which I can't see the end of quickly enough. 

RustyRightPeg
13 minutes ago, OTT said:

I just want to see us using money wisely. Boaking on paying domestic fees, whilst wasting money on the likes of Kio and Tagawa is kind of offensive. Especially when players like Cameron, McCowan & Armstrong are availible. 

Assuming we sell Cochrane & get the European money, we could be taking £7/8m all in from that. Fair enough, we won't get the Europe prize money until the end of next season, but we should still have enough freed up from Cochranes sale to at least bring in one of Armstrong or McCowan. Even if just for 12 months, a front line of Shankland supported by McKay, Armstrong, Dhanda & Spittal is the best attackers in the league outside of the OF. But I believe Armstrong is the difference between a good attack and an excellent attack. 

Oh and if we did get Armstrong, we'd see the end of McKays/Cochranes corners which I can't see the end of quickly enough. 

I think we'll be spending a decent whack, and Naismith will likely continue to explore the local market.

We can bully the likes of Dundee into sales if we wanted to. Will we? Let's see.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

I’m really looking forward to this window.  The club will have some money to spend, signing some good players from the SPFL seems back as an agenda - as well as Penrice, Dhanda and Spittal I also hope as above we go for Armstrong, Cameron etc with a couple of experienced senior pro’s on good money raising the standard in midfield and at right back.

Beat or at least draw with Killie tomorrow, and give Tagawa and Oda some serious minutes in the remaining games.

Hoping Shankland and Beni stay.

Rick Sanchez

The player has all the power nowadays. If Armstrong or McCowan went to their manager and said they'd really like to play European football and would like to leave, they'd probably prefer to let them go if they get a decent amount.

Same would apply to most clubs tbh. If you price them out, they've got an unhappy player on their hands.

Luckily we've had no interest in Shankland as it would apply to him also.

50 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

We have Tait so I am not seeing the Lyall Cameron move ever transpiring. We are in the market now of buying players in there prime (see Dhanda and Spittal) from other SPFL clubs. We should be looking to our own youngsters before paying for other clubs youngsters. 

We also need a midfield enforcer a Peter Haring type. 

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, Rods said:

We have Tait so I am not seeing the Lyall Cameron move ever transpiring. We are in the market now of buying players in there prime (see Dhanda and Spittal) from other SPFL clubs. We should be looking to our own youngsters before paying for other clubs youngsters. 

We also need a midfield enforcer a Peter Haring type. 

We were in for Cameron last summer, and he elected to stay at Dundee & finish his Uni degree. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

sverre nypan.  We can dream eh 🤣

Nypan? Careful now you'll have the "project player" brigade after you with that one. 

28 minutes ago, Rods said:

We also need a midfield enforcer a Peter Haring type

He's been mentioned to death on here but Phillips is that very definition. And if the rumours are to be believed about him signing a pre contract with us then he'd fit that role.

Edited by Chimp

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Nypan? Careful now you'll have the "project player" brigade after you with that one. 

🤣 I subsequently checked him on transfermrket and they have him valued at £7m.  I know that’s a load of shite  that site but still I suspect he’s about £6.5m out of our reach 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I think if you want to win cups and succeed in Europe you are going to have to be able to make that step forward in quality, I don't see anyone in our League who would have made a huge difference on Sunday to be honest.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

🤣 I subsequently checked him on transfermrket and they have him valued at £7m.  I know that’s a load of shite  that site but still I suspect he’s about £6.5m out of our reach 

Yip, its a very difficult market for us. Europe almost out of bounds, finding the gems ever harder, we need to try though, otherwise stuck in a battle for 3rd

kingantti1874
Just now, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Yip, its a very difficult market for us. Europe almost out of bounds, finding the gems ever harder, we need to try though, otherwise stuck in a battle for 3rd

👍🏻. there will be bargains out there somewhere .