Scottish Cup v Morton - Mon 11/3 19:45 : Sold out ( updated )

martoon

2 minutes ago, leginten said:

There was a marked change when we moved from behind-closed-doors cup draws at Park Gardens to live televised draws.

I’ve mentioned this before, but there was a very good sports journalist called Sandy Sutherland who had a weekly piece in one of the Sundays called “Sutherland’s Statistical Sidelines” in which he drew attention to anomalous sports statistics.

One week he examined the probability of Rangers and Celtic avoiding each other in cup semi-finals as frequently as they had done in, I guess, the post-war years through to the advent of televised draws.

The odds he came up with were either in the tens or hundreds of thousands against, I can’t remember which.

In other words, the draws were fixed.

Guarenteed.

Nowadays not sure

Edit

Naive I admit

Edited by Ked

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• davemclaren

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• been here before

The flumps will be hoping for a swift and painless exit against Sevco.

I imagine Andrex sales are already going through the roof in Lochend because of the possibility they might have to face us again at Hampden.

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Here it is. Motherwell got 3000. I think there is potential for more depending on organising segregation etc.

https://gmfc.net/general-manager-stadium-update/#:~:text=Sinclair Street %26 Cowshed – 2%2C500 and,hospitality are taken into consideration.

Good info … thx for finding and sharing👍

Luckies1874

Nearly 40 years ago!

Edited by Luckies1874

jamborich
16 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Nearly 40 years ago!

Brilliant remember it well

Percival King
1 hour ago, fila said:

Aberdeen Hearts final , bring it on 

Lifting the Scottish Cup in our beautiful 150th anniversary strip, but keep the "see you Jimmy hats" away.

vladisacoward
5 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

Morton away. I will take that. Shame the heated balls were kept apart again.

Amazing isn’t it? Can anyone tell me the last time the gruesome twosome were drawn together before the semi final stage at least? Probably just an incredible coincidence.

Luckies1874
19 minutes ago, vladisacoward said:

Amazing isn’t it? Can anyone tell me the last time the gruesome twosome were drawn together before the semi final stage at least? Probably just an incredible coincidence.

The 20-21 season they played in the 4th round at Ibrox. The last 2 seasons they’ve played in the semi-finals. So the last 3 seasons they’ve drawn each other. The level of paranoia is hilarious!  

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

The 20-21 season they played in the 4th round at Ibrox. The last 2 seasons they’ve played in the semi-finals. So the last 3 seasons they’ve drawn each other. The level of paranoia is hilarious!  

I think it’s unlikely that it still happens now, but I’m certain it used to. And, given the ridiculous corruption we saw openly on show when Rangers* needed a soft landing after going bust, why would anyone be remotely surprised?

vladisacoward
25 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

I’m not sure which bit of ‘before the semi finals’ was difficult to understand but my apologies for making it difficult nonetheless. When before 20-21 was the last time? I’ll guess 15 years?

FerryJambo81
2 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

How many tickets we likely to get.

Another 10k plus stadium with average attendance less than 2. Imagine we'll be able to get more than we'll feasibly take...

Great day with the kids today. They're on a run of away wins, so bit the bullet and got us ibrox tickets...caught me drunk last night 🤦‍♂️😂

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, vladisacoward said:

I’m not sure which bit of ‘before the semi finals’ was difficult to understand but my apologies for making it difficult nonetheless. When before 20-21 was the last time? I’ll guess 15 years?

So you randomly throw out comments with no knowledge whatsoever or even any stat to back it up, just your own guess work! They’ve played each other before the final in the last 3 seasons 🤣🤣

vladisacoward

So you randomly throw out comments with no knowledge whatsoever or even any stat to back it up, just your own guess work! They’ve played each other before the final in the last 3 seasons 🤣🤣

Not that you can disprove the lack of stats or guesswork around the 15yr shout is it?! And I see you’ve still not got the hang of the ‘before the semi final’ bit? Fair enough fella, you’ve got me.

Luckies1874

Also played each other in semi finals in 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18! Strange how often they get drawn against each other if it’s a big conspiracy! 

Luckies1874
Just now, vladisacoward said:

Not that you can disprove the lack of stats or guesswork around the 15yr shout is it?! And I see you’ve still not got the hang of the ‘before the semi final’ bit? Fair enough fella, you’ve got me.

🤣🤣

FerryJambo81
2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

I'm guessing (maybe wrongly) he (she / them) meant in semi final draws rather than the entire draw being rigged from start. If both in pot then, they do appear to avoid each other. I may be wrong though, often am these days 😂

Was convinced we'd get one of them... the celebrations outside the stadium when Morton drawn were braw 😂

BelgeJambo

One thing the coaching staff need to be aware about.  Broadfoot is at Morton and he is liable to putting a career ending challenge on somebody.  A real nasty piece of shit

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Morton GM 

IMG_0799.jpeg

Basically among others things want to get in more away fans than the 3000 Motherwell had.

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Nearly 40 years ago!

It was a filthy wet day and the beginning of a great partnership between Sandy Clark and Robbo.  If I remember we went on to get another victory at Love Street, where Sandy scored,  again 3-2?

Big_Hearts_Runner

1874, Morton in their 150th year too.

SeaOfMaroon
On 01/02/2024 at 15:05, Mirror said:

This, he'll play a part before the season ends...if he's still here.

1 hour ago, vladisacoward said:

I think it was maybe 2012 they last played before that, round about then

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

It was a filthy wet day and the beginning of a great partnership between Sandy Clark and Robbo.  If I remember we went on to get another victory at Love Street, where Sandy scored,  again 3-2?

It’s always filthy and wet in Greenock!

HeartsandonlyHearts
9 hours ago, jbee647 said:

One of my earliest memories in 1977following Hearts as a 13yo 5-3 defeat to a Andy Ritchie and Mark McGhee led Morton 

Carnage on the terracing, My abiding memory being a Morton skinhead resplendent with crombie  DMs and braces trying to face up Hearts fans and this old guy chucked a full cup of boiling bovril in his face..

Then a wagon wheel to the temple….

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

It’s always filthy and wet in Greenock!

😤

colinmaroon

Apart from Woodhall, where it rained bricks.  Filthy bricks!

Mikey1874

Massive result and draw for Livingston. Probably just about pays what they need to manage the season. 

Gorgie_Rules

Any idea what times the TV slots are? Assuming one of BBC’s will still be the Friday night

There hasn't been an OF final in over 20 years, which alone makes all the hot balls and rigged draws stuff laughably ridiculous.

You see all the predictions before a draw, I saw one on this forum saying Rangers would get Morton at Ibrox, they will be kept apart when the semi draw is made, then when it doesn't happen well somebody ,messed up the hot balls, that dumb. Then when Hearts draw them it's a real draw?

If Rangers and not Hearts had drawn Airdrie you can be guaranteed some would have been talking shite about rigged draws. The OF have probably contested infinitely more semis then finals throughout the history of the cup, maybe Scotland is too cold for hot balls? 

Mikey1874

One thing about the draw which we complained about before our game, is the numbers which were alphabetical order, us number 2 Airdrie/ Hearts. 

Alternative draw if after our game and same numbers drawn

Hearts v Celtic

Morton v Livingston 

Aberdeen v Kilmarnock 

Hibs v Rangers

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

One thing about the draw which we complained about before our game, is the numbers which were alphabetical order, us number 2 Airdrie/ Hearts. 

Alternative draw if after our game and same numbers drawn

Hearts v Celtic

Morton v Livingston 

Aberdeen v Kilmarnock 

Hibs v Rangers

😂

For once it's benefitted us.

3 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Any idea what times the TV slots are? Assuming one of BBC’s will still be the Friday night

Pretty site that will be our game 

RustyRightPeg
3 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Fairly certain we'll get that. 

Rangers are in Europe on the Thursday so they'll get the Sunday viaplay slot and Celtic probably get the teatime Saturday one. 

11 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Fairly certain we'll get that. 

Rangers are in Europe on the Thursday so they'll get the Sunday viaplay slot and Celtic probably get the teatime Saturday one. 

Not sure. 

Morton just beat Motherwell Friday past 

pettigrewsstylist
12 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

One thing the coaching staff need to be aware about.  Broadfoot is at Morton and he is liable to putting a career ending challenge on somebody.  A real nasty piece of shit

Decent point. Animal with nothing to lose.

Dallas Green

With group stage European football on our radar, I'd rather the OF were kept apart as much as possible. We don't want another club getting to the final and them winning. OF win or us winning the cup (with our 3rd place) is the only way we get the guaranteed groups. Let them get each other in the Semi's and Killie beat Aberdeen in the quarters and us to beat Morton and we can take Killie at Hampden on that pitch. Vargas and Forrest running in that wide open Hampden space. 

Us v one of the arsecheeks in the Final as we lift the Scottish Cup in it's 150th season in our 150th year!

Easy.

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

There hasn't been an OF final in over 20 years, which alone makes all the hot balls and rigged draws stuff laughably ridiculous.

You see all the predictions before a draw, I saw one on this forum saying Rangers would get Morton at Ibrox, they will be kept apart when the semi draw is made, then when it doesn't happen well somebody ,messed up the hot balls, that dumb. Then when Hearts draw them it's a real draw?

If Rangers and not Hearts had drawn Airdrie you can be guaranteed some would have been talking shite about rigged draws. The OF have probably contested infinitely more semis then finals throughout the history of the cup, maybe Scotland is too cold for hot balls? 

Yep, Rangers always seem to draw Celtic in the semis despite the GFA wanting an OF final!

12 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yep, Rangers always seem to draw Celtic in the semis despite the GFA wanting an OF final!

And doing that helps quieten any conspiracies about them wanting an OF final, whilst having a 'massive' OF match as a semi, and it usually means the winner is up against a 'lesser' team in the final so the OF team are more likely to win the cup. 

28 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

With group stage European football on our radar, I'd rather the OF were kept apart as much as possible. We don't want another club getting to the final and them winning. OF win or us winning the cup (with our 3rd place) is the only way we get the guaranteed groups. Let them get each other in the Semi's and Killie beat Aberdeen in the quarters and us to beat Morton and we can take Killie at Hampden on that pitch. Vargas and Forrest running in that wide open Hampden space. 

Us v one of the arsecheeks in the Final as we lift the Scottish Cup in it's 150th season in our 150th year!

Easy.

I can see both sides of this argument, but I‘d prefer to see the OF out before the final. Presumably the reason we want the European money is so that in future we have more chance of adding to our tally of three trophies in sixty years. But if someone else does us a favour this season, we have that chance right now.

Extremely difficult to beat the OF in a Hampden final. It’s in their back yard and their house referees are appointed to officiate. A home game with more away fans than usual present. You need the stars to align perfectly, as they did in 1998. This century only one non-OF team has beaten an OF team in the Cup final, and that was in 2016 when both finalists were lower league teams. We’ve had three cracks at it recently, two of them pretty good, and we’ve come up short.

Aberdeen, Killie or Hibs in the final would suit me fine.

10 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Then a wagon wheel to the temple….

Aye, but wagon wheels were huge back then...... 🙂

28 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

And doing that helps quieten any conspiracies about them wanting an OF final, whilst having a 'massive' OF match as a semi, and it usually means the winner is up against a 'lesser' team in the final so the OF team are more likely to win the cup. 

More likely than if they're both in the final? :) 

On balance, I'd rather be going in to the final (if we get there) playing for the cup, rather than for the cup and a European group stage placement.

Edited by Daktari

1 minute ago, Daktari said:

More likely than if they're both in the final? :) 

No, but as I said, it lets their shills point and say, look no OF finals for 20+ years etc.

😉

14 hours ago, BelgeJambo said:

Don’t worry, Morton have plenty of players who will be more than happy to kick lumps out of us

They certainly play a certain way, think Airdrie 1990s and add Dougie Imrie into the mix

Randy Marsh
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Indeed. We benefitted in 1996,1998 and 2021 by avoiding either of the OF at the Semi Final stage. Also avoided them both in the 1992 semi's. Big conspiracy though!

132goals1958
47 minutes ago, Daktari said:

On balance, I'd rather be going in to the final (if we get there) playing for the cup, rather than for the cup and a European group stage placement.

Fine line but I tend to agree particularly considering the amount of money at stake.

• davemclaren changed the title to Scottish Cup v Morton - Mon 11/3 19:45 : Sold out ( updated )
  • davemclaren locked this topic