***Official Airdrie v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Hackney Hearts
24 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

Imagine playing Gordon for the cup games and reaching the final, the goalie that's cruised us to third sits out the final. Hard to take that one.

Suffering a double leg fracture on Christmas Eve must have been hard to take as well...

There's no easy answer to this one.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboozy

• iantjambo

• Bauld

• King prawn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Keep hearing this but everyone has a different one!  What is yours?  I don’t think Naismith knows what his strongest 11 is anyway and without rotating the team he never will. 

Kent in at centre half. 

Tagawa has done nothing to suggest he should start an important cup tie. 

LeylandJambo

Play our strongest 11 it's a necessity we get through this round. Then Hibs or Aberdeen at home is my prediction.

gorgierulesapply88
13 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

Play our strongest 11 it's a necessity we get through this round. Then Hibs or Aberdeen at home is my prediction.

Our strongest 11 is with Gordon in goals.

19/05/2012

I would go for 

Gordon

Atkinson Kent Rowles Cochrane

Beni Hoff

Vargas Grant Forrest 

Shankland

17 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

I would go for 

Gordon

Atkinson Kent Rowles Cochrane

Beni Hoff

Vargas Grant Forrest 

Shankland

That’s what I’d go for as well. If he’s ready I’d give Cammy some minutes and maybe Fraser the second half. No reason why the Aussie guys shouldn’t slot straight in. 

Naismith seems to like a midfield tweak game to game, (maybe Grant for Fraser today?) but otherwise why change anything?   It’s as you are for me from Wednesday. (Assuming no injuries).  

No need for Atkinson to be slotted back in, imo.   

karipidis

Huge game today, biggest of the season. Lose and the European spot is well out of our hands. 

Gordon

Lembisika

Kent

Kingsley

Cochrane

Beni

Hoff

Vargas

Grant/Fraser

Forrest

Shankland

henrysmithsgloves
55 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Just saw a spurs fan with a trumpet, 😃 guid tune, thoughts folks😏.

What's he doing up here? Apart from playing the trumpet 🎺

upgotheheads
12 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Clark’s done well ish but most people believe we have the better keeper sitting on the bench. 

I think Gordon should play tomorrow and get the chance to put pressure on Clark. 

That’s in the interest of Hearts. 

Steve Clarke doesn't think so, and I don't think most Hearts supporters do either. Before CG's injury we were leaking goals quite badly I seem to remember. not necessarily his fault as we had also lost Halkett too and were in the freefall phase. For what FWIW I think CG is probably a better shot-stopper but Zander is the better 'penalty box' keeper. We'll find out this afternoon what SN thinks though.

11 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

Yes, I take your point. I still think that a goalkeeper deals with so much more in training than he ever has to in an actual match. Working at set pieces, using his judgement when dealing with crosses, shot-stopping, close in reflex work. I'm sure training is the only time Zander and Craig actually break sweat. They probably handle the ball more in a pre-match warm up than the actual match too. 

I've no concerns with either of them starting tomorrow tbh. Lucky to have such a difficult choice, but just like squad outfield players who need a run out, goalies need one too. 

Crucial games like this one are not the time to give players a run out.

9 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Would also play Gordon, slightly harsh on Clark, but if not now, then when does he get an opportunity? Before the end of season when 3rd is hopefully wrapped up? 

Yes.

Diadora Van Basten
16 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Huge game today, biggest of the season. Lose and the European spot is well out of our hands. 

Gordon

Lembisika

Kent

Kingsley

Cochrane

Beni

Hoff

Vargas

Grant/Fraser

Forrest

Shankland

This would be my team with Grant starting before Fraser.

Harry Potter
28 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

What's he doing up here? Apart from playing the trumpet 🎺

😃

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Naismith seems to like a midfield tweak game to game, (maybe Grant for Fraser today?) but otherwise why change anything?   It’s as you are for me from Wednesday. (Assuming no injuries).  

No need for Atkinson to be slotted back in, imo.   

This x1000

Captain Canada
49 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Gordon

Lembisika

Kent

Kingsley

Cochrane

Beni

Hoff

Vargas

Grant/Fraser

Forrest

Shankland

This would be my team too. I'd go for Grant to start over Fraser. 

34 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Steve Clarke doesn't think so, and I don't think most Hearts supporters do either. Before CG's injury we were leaking goals quite badly I seem to remember. not necessarily his fault as we had also lost Halkett too and were in the freefall phase. For what FWIW I think CG is probably a better shot-stopper but Zander is the better 'penalty box' keeper. We'll find out this afternoon what SN thinks though.

Yes.

Steve Clarke had Gordon as Scotlands number 1 prior to his injury. He hasn't had to pick a squad since Gordon's recovery, never mind the fact that Gordon has played one game and would be absolutely nowhere near it on that basis alone. We hit freefall and started losing goals and games after Gordon's injury, so I am afraid your memory does not in this instance serve you well.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Setting the alarm for 3.30am for this. Feelings of dread already given it is fecking Airdrie.

CloustonHMFC
17 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Steve Clarke had Gordon as Scotlands number 1 prior to his injury. He hasn't had to pick a squad since Gordon's recovery, never mind the fact that Gordon has played one game and would be absolutely nowhere near it on that basis alone. We hit freefall and started losing goals and games after Gordon's injury, so I am afraid your memory does not in this instance serve you well.

In that season we lost more goals up until Gordons injury than we did after it. The freefall was not because we were conceding more goals or because of Gordons injury.

ford donald
3 minutes ago, Jeremy Goss said:

Airdrie giving me the fear too due to the 90s.

Do not take them lightly.

This...

chester copperpot
On 09/02/2024 at 10:56, Nobreath said:

This might be useful for anyone making the journey.

image.png.eeba63cf46c82389b7f856fc4861d864.png

It's no where near the stadium tho

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

It's no where near the stadium tho

And back streets in Airdrie best avoided 

Robbo-Jambo
42 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Setting the alarm for 3.30am for this. Feelings of dread already given it is fecking Airdrie.

Yip, just want this one out of the way.

Airdrie give me the fear.

Jack Torrance

Sorry if it's been covered already. Taking the car and I assume the parking will be at the Varnsforf Way end of Misch Way, near where our buses are to park. Is access to the east stand from the top at that side, off  Petersburn Road?

36 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

In that season we lost more goals up until Gordons injury than we did after it. The freefall was not because we were conceding more goals or because of Gordons injury.

The bit in bold is not true, but that aside, I wasn't really meaning the freefall was entirely down to Gordon being injured, just that we didn't hit freefall until later on in the season.

Go for it 1308
1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

Shooting boots on and...

8alvon.gif.52fb8ba24b8ebfb7f17e698902dff

What a f*****g brilliant download 👏 

Go for it 1308
24 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Yip, just want this one out of the way.

Airdrie give me the fear.

Just relax....its not Airdrie....its clydebank 

Franksluckypants

Struggle to understand the logic of wanting to progress through to meet one of the erse cheeks in the final. For me we hopefully progress to meet the easiest team possible and take our chances!

Folk preferring to play an extra 6 matches in Europe and some extra £ in the bank over honours and an actual proper trophy?

Madness!!!

Harry Potter
6 minutes ago, Franksluckypants said:

Struggle to understand the logic of wanting to progress through to meet one of the erse cheeks in the final. For me we hopefully progress to meet the easiest team possible and take our chances!

Folk preferring to play an extra 6 matches in Europe and some extra £ in the bank over honours and an actual proper trophy?

Madness!!!

spot on bud.

Rick Sanchez

Gordon

Lembikisa

Halkett

Kent

Kingsley

Tait

Baningime

Fraser

Grant

Shankland

Forrest

They'll be going long ball so I'd be picking our bruisers with a midfield to pick up the scraps and progress with the ball.

Picked Grant instead of Vargas as they’ll be sitting in and we'll need more guile than pace.

KyleLafferty
5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Gordon

Lembikisa

Halkett

Kent

Kingsley

Tait

Baningime

Fraser

Grant

Shankland

Forrest

They'll be going long ball so I'd be picking our bruisers with a midfield to pick up the scraps and progress with the ball.

Picked Grant instead of Vargas as they’ll be sitting in and we'll need more guile than pace.

They’ll do anything but long ball. They build up from the back and are very good at it.

karipidis
19 minutes ago, Franksluckypants said:

Madness!!!

Folk want both the trophy and the European football. The old firm still being in is a bit of fail safe incase we get knocked out. A final against Hibs or Aberdeen would be much more nerve wracking than meeting the Old firm, but would give us more chance of winning. A final against Morton or Livi would be nice…

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Gordon

Lembikisa

Halkett

Kent

Kingsley

Tait

Baningime

Fraser

Grant

Shankland

Forrest

Too be fair too Airdrie they are one team in that league who don’t play the long ball they play the ball on the deck and quite clever in there approach👍

If Airdrie want to play out from the back, it could suit us well. Press them and they’ll turn it over in good areas.

If they sit in and defend we’ll make hard work of it

1 minute ago, graham said:

Too be fair too Airdrie they are one team in that league who don’t play the long ball they play the ball on the deck and quite clever in there approach👍

Not sure they will play the same way given our qualities 

Franksluckypants
5 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Folk want both the trophy and the European football. The old firm still being in is a bit of fail safe incase we get knocked out. A final against Hibs or Aberdeen would be much more nerve wracking than meeting the Old firm, but would give us more chance of winning. A final against Morton or Livi would be nice…

I’ve only ever seen us beat one of the unwashed in a final once in my life time. We beat the wee team every time we play them there.

We’ll get European footy with third. Wanting to meet an erse cheek over an easier team like our rivals in the final is bat sh#t! Prioritising cash and extra euro matches.

A lot of footy to be played first mind and no assumptions about any easy rides in any event, even should we get there and do get a ‘wee’ team!

18 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Not sure they will play the same way given our qualities 

More than possible GB was just pointing out they do play football and not to bracket them and think they are one dimensional👍

PaddysBar
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Yes.

When both were fit I can’t recall Clarke calling up Clark in preference to Gordon. 

Anyway, just our opinions. We’ve got two cracking keepers 👍

2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Yes.

I definitely think Gordon is the better keeper , and I think Clark has done well . Gordon is just another level altogether though . If I was Steve Clarke then I would have three Hearts players in that squad for the Euros 

Gordon

Clark

Shankland 

Gulf Jambo

My 2 cents.

Think we'll look to have good ball players to try and dictate fully as Airdrie are a decent team atm.

Gordon

Lembikisa Kent Halkett Cochrane

Tait Beni Grant

Fraser Shankland Vargas 

stirlingshirejambo
2 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

My 2 cents.

Think we'll look to have good ball players to try and dictate fully as Airdrie are a decent team atm.

Gordon

Lembikisa Kent Halkett Cochrane

Tait Beni Grant

Fraser Shankland Vargas 

I would really rather a left footed player at LCB so either Kingsley or Rowles

50 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

They’ll do anything but long ball. They build up from the back and are very good at it.

Was about to say this - I think they're about the one lower league team that will insist on playing it out from the back. This is a chance for Rhys McCabe to test his style of play, coaching etc. against the 3rd biggest side in the country. Sneaking a fluke win from long ball won't be even considered. 

I think they might be a bit more compact and defensive, but they won't be throwing their style of play out the window. 

Hopefully a decent game of football for both sets of fans to enjoy :) 

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, jambo_74 said:

We were leaking goals before then, mostly because we had lost Halkett, Beni and I think Kingsley too, there is another factor here though, and it's not just about who starts today.  There is a lobby on Kickback for the return of CG  as Hearts's first-choice goalie, and they see this game as an 'easy' game and an opportunity to get him in.

This is a crucial game, maybe our most important game so far given that the Cup is our last opportunity for silverware. It's a game for our first-choice goalie and that's Zander, according to SN.  To bring in CG sends out the wrong message to Aidrie, their manager will be telling his team that we are using this match to give CG some game time because we think that they're weak opposition.

My prediction is that SN will not be giving any hostages to Fortune, and Zander will start. There's going to be plenty of opportunity to get game time for CG quite soon.

Prediction; this is going to be a hell of a battle, and if it goes to penalties we will be out, whoever is in goal.

Gordon

Atkinson/Rowles

Kent

Kingsley

Lembikisa

Beni

Cammy

Fraser

Forrest

Shankland

Vargas

I think Naismith gets the best out of Atkinson and will want to know if getting Dexter in will be a good combination down that right hand side.

Mikey1874
23 hours ago, frankblack said:

Should change the thread title to Clydebank vs Heart Of Midlothian.

Airdrie are dead like Rangers.

"Airdrie died and the Hearts survived"

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, Jack Torrance said:

Sorry if it's been covered already. Taking the car and I assume the parking will be at the Varnsforf Way end of Misch Way, near where our buses are to park. Is access to the east stand from the top at that side, off  Petersburn Road?

Not sure. This is what Hearts said.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/blogs/news/supporter-information-airdrieonians-vs-hearts

Go for it 1308
11 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Suffering a double leg fracture on Christmas Eve must have been hard to take as well...

There's no easy answer to this one.

Ouch🤔🫣