***Official Airdrie v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian
On 08/02/2024 at 12:29, BigAlim said:

I would rather play one of them in the final so that we know where we are honestly, preferably Celtic as we’ve not beat them in a final since 1956 and they don’t look convincing at all

I wish we were playing Celtic this weekend, I've never been more confident that we'd have a great chance against them. Still every possibility they sort themselves out in a few weeks.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboozy

• iantjambo

• Bauld

• King prawn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cameronstheman

I was at the game in the Shed, what a atmosphere and celebrations, shit time as such, but that sure cheered the Gorgie Faithful up for a bit 

tartofmidlothian
8 hours ago, Nobreath said:

This might be useful for anyone making the journey.

image.png.eeba63cf46c82389b7f856fc4861d864.png

:bravo:

TweedbankJambo
On 08/02/2024 at 02:54, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I still have post traumatic Airdrie disorder. I'll take any win.

1-0 Shankland

😂 Me too. I was there that day. Ouch! Revenge!

upgotheheads
On 08/02/2024 at 17:01, Pingu said:

Team selection might depend on whether Naismith feel Kye and Natty would benefit more from game time or more rest. I think I'd go:

Gordon

Lembikisa

Kent

Rowles

Cochrane

Baningime

Nieuwenhof

Oda

Fraser

Vargas

Shankland

(Leaving Forrest out is controversial but I think it could be a good game for Oda and Vargas. Al to come off the bench if we need him.)

I could go with that but we should play with our first-choice goalie in a very important game.

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, TweedbankJambo said:

😂 Me too. I was there that day. Ouch! Revenge!

That day?  If only it was just one day!

6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

My first ever Hearts game was away at Broomfield I think it was 0-0 and utter pish. Must have been about 1992 or 93.

Edited by Homme

Years since I was through in Airdrie. I can't even think if this is my first visit to this stadium. 

Is it best to get off at Airdrie train station or Drumgelloch?

🙂

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Years since I was through in Airdrie. I can't even think if this is my first visit to this stadium. 

🙂

Drumgelloch buddy

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Drumgelloch buddy

👍  cheers.

Sure we'll just follow the crowd anyway 🙂

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Thanks for posting mate, for some reason the auld man and me were behind the gorgie road goals that night.

Will be tough Sunday but the team are defending well and if we go about our business in a positive manner we will  progress 

👍

Cameronstheman

How many we sold ?? taking the kids, should be a decent travelling  support re 

Fozzyonthefence
49 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I could go with that but we should play with our first-choice goalie in a very important game.

We should play our best keeper and that’s hands down Gordon.  Even at 80% he’s a better keeper than Clark.  That’s no disrespect to Clark because Gordon is without doubt the best player I’ve seen play for Hearts, never mind best keeper.  Clark would probably be struggling to make even top 10 keepers I’ve seen at Hearts.  Get him back in tomorrow and keep him there for the league games.

John Findlay
24 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

🙂

Drumgelloch is closest. Change at Haymarket, and get the train for Helensburgh Central.

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Drumgelloch is closest. Change at Haymarket, and get the train for Helensburgh Central.

Cheers, oldie. 😁

Selkirkhmfc1874
24 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

👍  cheers.

Sure we'll just follow the crowd anyway 🙂

It's about half a mile closer to the stadium buddy , it's the stop before Airdrie

heartsfc_fan
3 minutes ago, maltese jambo said:

How many tickets have we sold ?

3,000+ I think

maltese jambo
18 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

3,000+ I think

Excellent

LeylandJambo

Motherwell being knocked out tonight by Morton should be looked on as a warning to Hearts on Sunday. Don't just turn up and think it'll be easy.

Selkirkhmfc1874
35 minutes ago, LeylandJambo said:

Motherwell being knocked out tonight by Morton should be looked on as a warning to Hearts on Sunday. Don't just turn up and think it'll be easy.

Exactly 

No Idle Talk

Tonight's result should hopefully work in our favour. It should be a wee reminder to our players that if you drop your standards away to an in form Championship team you can get your pants pulled down. 

If we're at it on Sunday we will win. 

The Tackle

Any tickets being sold at the gate? I just found out I’m not working now

Kind of hard to pick a team, on one hand you want to rest Shankland but I don't trust the other options.. Maybe something like:

Gordon

Kent Halks Rowles

Dexter Beni Haring Cochrane

Fraser

Shankland Vargas

Nice bit of width in Dexter & Cochrane, bring Halks back into the team and give Fraser a start. 

Mikey1874
3 hours ago, LeylandJambo said:

Firstly it's a warning to Hibs and Aberdeen.

3 hours ago, OTT said:

Kind of hard to pick a team, on one hand you want to rest Shankland but I don't trust the other options.. Maybe something like:

Gordon

Kent Halks Rowles

Dexter Beni Haring Cochrane

Fraser

Shankland Vargas

Nice bit of width in Dexter & Cochrane, bring Halks back into the team and give Fraser a start. 

Squeeze in a sausage supper please mate

karipidis

No idea why people are talking about resting Shankland etc. 3rd place is looking pretty comfortable, the cup games should be the main priority until the end of the season as it has a huge bearing on European football for next season. 

CloustonHMFC

I wouldn't be making too many changes for this. Maybe bring Gordon in, but we need a settled team. Potential for a banana skin, and we need to avoid that at all costs. I also wouldn't be taking the armband off Shanks if Gordon does play.

upgotheheads
11 hours ago, LeylandJambo said:

Correct.

Anyone thinking of starting with anything other than our currently recognised first 11 is off their heads, and that means people talking about Gordon, Tait, and Halkett. 

For me that means:

Zander

Nat  Kent  Rowles  Kingsley

Vargas  Hof Beni Cochrane

Shankland   Forrest.

You could argue around the shape, or maybe Lambikisa/Nat but there is no argument for starting with Gordon, Halkett, or Tait, they are just not first picks at the moment.

TweedbankJambo
13 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

2-1 defeat in Scottish cup semi

Skacelsid

With third place almost secure this now becomes the main focus. IMO. Our last round performance against Spartans was poor and a repeat will not do. Lets get at it right from the start, a slow possession game would only suit them. Throw everything at them for the first hour, then hit them with the greater strength we will have on the bench.

Edited by Skacelsid
typing error

10 hours ago, The Tackle said:

Any tickets being sold at the gate? I just found out I’m not working now

No but if you get u to Tynecastle today you will get one.

karipidis
36 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Correct.

Anyone thinking of starting with anything other than our currently recognised first 11 is off their heads, and that means people talking about Gordon, Tait, and Halkett. 

For me that means:

Zander

Shankland   Forrest.

You could argue around the shape, or maybe Lambikisa/Nat but there is no argument for starting with Gordon, Halkett, or Tait, they are just not first picks at the moment.

There’s a perfectly reasonable argument for starting Gordon as he’s our best keeper, the rest I’d agree with. 

Gundermann
12 hours ago, LeylandJambo said:

Airdrie are better than Spartans and we didn't exactly cruise that one.

Ex member of the SaS

I can understand those who want the bigots knocked out early, but that does not give us a clear path to the cup. I would rather Celtic got through to the final and played us. We would possibly be favourites to win if they were out, but that doesn't account for a freak result. You only have to look at Morton. Tomorrows game is not a given either so counting chickens and all that!

The possibility of an other team winning means we lose a load of cash and the odds are too high to want the two biggest teams out. Besides the GFA want one of then in the final as seen by the fact they very rarely get drawn against each other in the early rounds.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Correct.

For me that means:

Zander

Shankland   Forrest.

Well Gordon will never be a first pick for you because you obviously won’t ever pick him again!  When do you pick him again or do we just leave him on the bench all of next season as well?  He’s the best Hearts keeper ever, possibly Scotland’s best ever and you think he’s a risk to play instead of a keeper with a fraction of his ability?  He has to get game time and he will tomorrow, he’s clearly going to be our cup keeper but hopefully he’s back in the league games soon too.  

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, TweedbankJambo said:

What about the other one?!  And sure they knocked us out in an early round too.  Plus all the league games!  We couldn’t buy a win against that mob for a while in the 90s.  Horrible, horrible team to play against.

Edit: don’t think they ever beat us 2-1 in a semi.  Think it was 1-0 when Robbo got sent off and the other one was definitely on penalties.

Bazzas right boot
On 08/02/2024 at 16:12, Bazzas right boot said:

3-1 and Morton in the next round!

1st part complete. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Correct.

For me that means:

Zander

Shankland   Forrest.

Complaceny is our biggesy enemy. SN has said plenty about cup win potential, doubt he subscribes to tinkering around with this selection.

3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon

Nat

Halks

Kye

Cochrane

Tait

Beni

Fraser

Forrest

Shanks

Tagawa

0-2

Nah. Strongest team as possible. 

The Tackle
1 hour ago, bigdav said:

No but if you get u to Tynecastle today you will get one.

I’m working and closer to Airdrie than Tynecastle :lol:

On 08/02/2024 at 11:10, TexasAndy said:

Airdrie did more damage to my mental health than any other club in the 90s.   Be glad when it's over and we are hopefully through!

THIS! 😳

2 hours ago, TweedbankJambo said:

Nope 1-1 then lost on penalties after ET.

Lost 1-0 in the other semi

Fozzyonthefence
31 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Nah. Strongest team as possible. 

Keep hearing this but everyone has a different one!  What is yours?  I don’t think Naismith knows what his strongest 11 is anyway and without rotating the team he never will. 

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Well Gordon will never be a first pick for you because you obviously won’t ever pick him again!  When do you pick him again or do we just leave him on the bench all of next season as well?  He’s the best Hearts keeper ever, possibly Scotland’s best ever and you think he’s a risk to play instead of a keeper with a fraction of his ability?  He has to get game time and he will tomorrow, he’s clearly going to be our cup keeper but hopefully he’s back in the league games soon too.  

After we have secured third place, which might be quite soon, he should start games to give him a chance to establish his Scotland place. 

4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

After we have secured third place, which might be quite soon, he should start games to give him a chance to establish his Scotland place. 

But then Zander is also playing for the Scotland jersey. 

Put is nose out of joint that would 

Edited by Hansel

upgotheheads
2 minutes ago, Hansel said:

But then Zander is also playing for the Scotland jersey. 

So is Gunn. Zander is already pretty well guaranteed to be one of two goalies and might be first choice depending on Gunn's form/fitness. I don't know how many goalies they will take but there will at least be a third place to play for in case of the need for a replacement.

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I can understand those who want the bigots knocked out early, but that does not give us a clear path to the cup. I would rather Celtic got through to the final and played us. We would possibly be favourites to win if they were out, but that doesn't account for a freak result. You only have to look at Morton. Tomorrows game is not a given either so counting chickens and all that!

The possibility of an other team winning means we lose a load of cash and the odds are too high to want the two biggest teams out. Besides the GFA want one of then in the final as seen by the fact they very rarely get drawn against each other in the early rounds.

We don't lose a load of cash, we potentially lose a load of cash. It's still possible to reach the group stages of the conference league.