***Official Airdrie v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

9 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Grant a passenger.

Sorry that’s nonsense, just like the Hoff is rubbish comments we were getting weeks ago. Grant was everywhere the first half, linking the play and showing for the ball. 

This is in no way similar to Hof. Hof has only arrived this season from the other side of the world and has gradually got better every game. 

Grant has been here far longer and he really hasn't made much of an impact at all since he came to the club. He does look tidy enough, and as with most games you might see a little flash of quality but he is largely ineffective more often than not. Yet to see him properly stand out in a game or dominate, one where afterwards where you think "How good was Grant today". Had much higher hopes for him and certainly hasn't managed to make his mark properly or cement his place in the team. Never once have I felt he's had a spell where he's been in an undroppable position.

I don't think he's a bad player but can you honestly say he hasn't been a disappointing signing overall?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboozy

• iantjambo

• Bauld

• King prawn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is My Story Podcast

Hearts were superbly professional yesterday against a side that played better football than half the sides we’ve faced in the top flight. Motherwell got horsed out by Morton and I’d take a guess that near enough every other side in our league, minus the Old Firm, would’ve found yesterday a difficult game. 

Our passing was deliberate and with tempo. It had Airdrie struggling to maintain any form of press. We moved up the park in nice little triangles, the opening goal a thing of beauty. Hoff, Beni and Grant a massive massive factor in that. Mental people are saying Grant didn’t impact the game. Hoff is turning into a player. He had more opportunities to shoot yesterday as well but played to safer option, something I think we will see less and less as he continues to grow in confidence. Fraser and Tait done well when they came on as well. Forrest, Shankland and Vargas caused Airdrie no end of problems. Constant running the channels. Constant switching. Superb. Cochrane, Kingsley, Halkett and Rowles all superb as well, same with Mr Handsome in goals. Thoroughly impressive. 

If we have to have any conversation about yesterday’s game player wise…………..then let’s talk Tagawa and Dexter. Dexter has been nowhere near the player we saw vs Dundee. He barely takes his man on anymore. Doesn’t get into the box and isn’t getting crosses in either. With Atkinson now back, it’ll be interesting to see how that little battle for that spot plays out. Tagawa looks a shell of a player. Hid for most of the second half on the touchline. Shankland berated him almost the full 2nd half for not making runs, following his man or finding passes. Shame to see him so low on confidence. I don’t know what the future holds for Tagawa in this team sadly. He’s not going to be risked in the league unless we are 3 or 4 up at home and can be brought on. Yesterday was his chance and not sure he covered himself in glory. 

Benny Klack
3 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Hearts were superbly professional yesterday against a side that played better football than half the sides we’ve faced in the top flight. Motherwell got horsed out by Morton and I’d take a guess that near enough every other side in our league, minus the Old Firm, would’ve found yesterday a difficult game. 

Our passing was deliberate and with tempo. It had Airdrie struggling to maintain any form of press. We moved up the park in nice little triangles, the opening goal a thing of beauty. Hoff, Beni and Grant a massive massive factor in that. Mental people are saying Grant didn’t impact the game. Hoff is turning into a player. He had more opportunities to shoot yesterday as well but played to safer option, something I think we will see less and less as he continues to grow in confidence. Fraser and Tait done well when they came on as well. Forrest, Shankland and Vargas caused Airdrie no end of problems. Constant running the channels. Constant switching. Superb. Cochrane, Kingsley, Halkett and Rowles all superb as well, same with Mr Handsome in goals. Thoroughly impressive. 

If we have to have any conversation about yesterday’s game player wise…………..then let’s talk Tagawa and Dexter. Dexter has been nowhere near the player we saw vs Dundee. He barely takes his man on anymore. Doesn’t get into the box and isn’t getting crosses in either. With Atkinson now back, it’ll be interesting to see how that little battle for that spot plays out. Tagawa looks a shell of a player. Hid for most of the second half on the touchline. Shankland berated him almost the full 2nd half for not making runs, following his man or finding passes. Shame to see him so low on confidence. I don’t know what the future holds for Tagawa in this team sadly. He’s not going to be risked in the league unless we are 3 or 4 up at home and can be brought on. Yesterday was his chance and not sure he covered himself in glory. 

Good post - Dexter is a funny one. Thought after the Spartans & Dundee games we had a real player who has going to cause chaos going forward, now I’m not so sure. Don’t know if he’s been told to rein it in or not but to be honest I’d prefer Atkinson to start v Motherwell. During the first half yesterday he was the definite weak link.

Tagawa - really don’t know where to go with him, he’s been a real disappointment 

This is My Story Podcast
7 minutes ago, Benny Klack said:

Good post - Dexter is a funny one. Thought after the Spartans & Dundee games we had a real player who has going to cause chaos going forward, now I’m not so sure. Don’t know if he’s been told to rein it in or not but to be honest I’d prefer Atkinson to start v Motherwell. During the first half yesterday he was the definite weak link.

Tagawa - really don’t know where to go with him, he’s been a real disappointment 

We have changed shape to combat how defensively open he left us if he was to continue how aggressive he was in an attacking sense. Since then, he’s barely went over the half way line. Mirror how effective Cochrane is on the other side for example. It’s a good headache for Naismith to have as we’ve lacked options on the right for a while, relying solely on Mikey Smith. Dexter isn’t a bad player, far, far from it. Just not having the same impact. 

5 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

We have changed shape to combat how defensively open he left us if he was to continue how aggressive he was in an attacking sense. Since then, he’s barely went over the half way line. Mirror how effective Cochrane is on the other side for example. It’s a good headache for Naismith to have as we’ve lacked options on the right for a while, relying solely on Mikey Smith. Dexter isn’t a bad player, far, far from it. Just not having the same impact. 

TBF, after switching to 4 at the back with Halks as the CB who would make the cover run for him, I can see why he  might have been told to be a mit more cautious defensively. 

This is My Story Podcast
8 minutes ago, CMc said:

TBF, after switching to 4 at the back with Halks as the CB who would make the cover run for him, I can see why he  might have been told to be a mit more cautious defensively. 

Yeah I get that. But he’s been like that even when Halkett hasn’t been playing. Defensively it makes us tighter but we have lost a bit of that attacking sense from him. Still a good player. 

Just now, This is My Story Podcast said:

Yeah I get that. But he’s been like that even when Halkett hasn’t been playing. Defensively it makes us tighter but we have lost a bit of that attacking sense from him. Still a good player. 

True. He’s maybe just taking one for the team. Suits him less, suits the players in front of him more. 

This is My Story Podcast
3 minutes ago, CMc said:

True. He’s maybe just taking one for the team. Suits him less, suits the players in front of him more. 

Potentially. Good headache for Naismith to have now Atkinson is back. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Even when all is going well, we have to find someone to kick

upgotheheads
48 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Tagawa is a project, and although I didn't notice Shankland berating him, that would be his job in the scheme of things. Personally, I think he looked good in flashes and he needs game time and confidence. Our best player in that position now is Vargas, and it has taken him a while to find his feet. Tagawa and Oda (also still a project) will need to be rotated through the rest of the season, but they could be the basis of a good right-side of midfield in coming seasons.

RustyRightPeg
11 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Grant a passenger.

Sorry that’s nonsense, just like the Hoff is rubbish comments we were getting weeks ago. Grant was everywhere the first half, linking the play and showing for the ball. 

Nonsense indeed. Grant strolled it yesterday. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Was Oda injured or unwell yesterday? Day passed in a flash, saw the match and not much else in way of news

1 hour ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Good summary agree with dexter and Tagawa comments.  Hoping dexter was just a off day and the way airdrie loaded that left side made it tough for dexter to move forward at times and he is not the best defender at times but he is young and can work on that. TAG is just one of those players that just do not work at certain clubs we have had dozens of them over the years. Hopefully we can move him on with little cost in the summer not all signings work out that is just football just ask the Biggot twins they spend millions on duds.

As for Grant great squad player to have as long as he is happy with a game when required with tait breathing down his neck he may drop further down the picking order so he might not be happy with that and if we secure 3rd and us or the Biggots get the cup sure we will bring in better quality in midfield again.

Mikey1874

Strange people can't see what Grant does. 

Tagawa was stuck out right wing yesterday and did okay keeping the ball moving. At one point Shankland was rightly unhappy at him not making a run forward to take a pass, then soon after Shankland did the same thing himself. 

PapaShango
58 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Strange people can't see what Grant does. 

Tagawa was stuck out right wing yesterday and did okay keeping the ball moving. At one point Shankland was rightly unhappy at him not making a run forward to take a pass, then soon after Shankland did the same thing himself. 

He's absolutely drained of confidence, but did win the ball back a couple of times. Don't think playing on the right suited him and he really needs a break to go for him, just not sure he is going to get risked at this point unless we are comfortably ahead in a game. 

2 hours ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Fair summary but I thought Dexter played well. 

RustyRightPeg

Also for anyone watching on BBC, quite enjoyed McCann's commentary.

32 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Also for anyone watching on BBC, quite enjoyed McCann's commentary.

He loves Hearts, which is nice. 

Also, I thought Dougie Imrie was attempting to downplay our performance when he was summarizing the match at half-time, saying: "From Airdire's point of view they would be disappointed with the goals they lost, complaining no-one tracked Shanks run from deep midfield at the first goal..."

It's all very well saying that, but how many teams have managed to stop him getting into position or ghosting in at the right time?

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

He loves Hearts, which is nice. 

Also, I thought Dougie Imrie was attempting to downplay our performance when he was summarizing the match at half-time, saying: "From Airdire's point of view they would be disappointed with the goals they lost, complaining no-one tracked Shanks run from deep midfield at the first goal..."

It's all very well saying that, but how many teams have managed to stop him getting into position or ghosting in at the right time?

He does, but even with that I think he's was completely neutral throughout, which was refreshing. 

Gave Airdrie their plaudits which I must say they deserved. They looked sharp at points. We controlled the game mostly, but when given time and space they played, and played some really neat stuff.

They probably will be disappointed with the first goal, but when you watch it back we played the situation so well. They squeezed us high, Shankland's flick takes 3 out the game and then Forrest and Grant's tidy exchange took another two out. The refreshing part for me was seeing us with 4 or 5 bodies in the box. It was a fantastic goal.   

Ex member of the SaS

First chance to post so here goes! Fantastic result and great to see some tempo from KO. Three good goals and what can you say about Shanks that hasn't already been said? But can anyone tell me why he brought on Tagawa? Lost the ball ,never made any runs and passed backward when a good forward was on! How many times did Lembikisa run to the half way line only for Tagawa to stand flat footed rather than get down the wing?

We seemed to lose momentum when the changes were made so why make them so early in the game? Giving players a chance is all well and good but only for the last 10 -15 minutes. Why was Kent not on from the start? How many times has it been said play your best team from KO!

Next game won't be so easy and SN needs to wake up and stop making subs that don't work.

6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

First chance to post so here goes! Fantastic result and great to see some tempo from KO. Three good goals and what can you say about Shanks that hasn't already been said? But can anyone tell me why he brought on Tagawa? Lost the ball ,never made any runs and passed backward when a good forward was on! How many times did Lembikisa run to the half way line only for Tagawa to stand flat footed rather than get down the wing?

We seemed to lose momentum when the changes were made so why make them so early in the game? Giving players a chance is all well and good but only for the last 10 -15 minutes. Why was Kent not on from the start? How many times has it been said play your best team from KO!

Next game won't be so easy and SN needs to wake up and stop making subs that don't work.

It was a cup game we cruised it, fringe players get opportunities. 

Once again you embarrass yourself with comments like this. 

Wake up and just accept you were wrong about SN. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Mac80 said:

It was a cup game we cruised it, fringe players get opportunities. 

Once again you embarrass yourself with comments like this. 

Wake up and just accept you were wrong about SN. 

You are wrong about me. Look back and you will see I was happy with SN getting the job, I also have admitted I lost faith for a bit but all I wanted is for SN to stop making the same stupid mistakes week after week. Get the team starting the way we started the second half and cut out the stupid pointless passing between the backs.

16 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

You are wrong about me. Look back and you will see I was happy with SN getting the job, I also have admitted I lost faith for a bit but all I wanted is for SN to stop making the same stupid mistakes week after week. Get the team starting the way we started the second half and cut out the stupid pointless passing between the backs.

This is his first job in football management, of course he is going to make mistakes. We all need to accept that. 

It is clear as day he learns from them though, unlike Robbie Neilson. 

Ex member of the SaS
2 minutes ago, Mac80 said:

This is his first job in football management, of course he is going to make mistakes. We all need to accept that. 

It is clear as day he learns from them though, unlike Robbie Neilson. 

I will give you that.

Only listened to the first 20 mins this morning 😃

Dont know who the commentator is though probably should and side kick Ian Murray

He is going to get the belligerent Hearts fan(s) shifted in front of him but not going to do it himself 😵

Said he is going to end up standing on his seat to see the game

use have been a strange place to put a commentary team

Watt-Zeefuik
22 hours ago, tcjambo said:

Good team. Would be a good addition to the top flight.

Airdrie the club seem like I'd rather they were left in the Championship but that Rhys McCabe has a solid future in management. When he retires from playing I wouldn't object to him coming in as an assistant at Tynie to understudy Naisy at all. Brave tactics, well executed.

The size of Airdrie and the quality of their stadium though again make it clear how ****ing stupid it is to have a 12 team top flight. Would much rather play Airdrie and Mirren twice each than either of them three or possibly four times.

pettigrewsstylist
31 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Airdrie the club seem like I'd rather they were left in the Championship but that Rhys McCabe has a solid future in management. When he retires from playing I wouldn't object to him coming in as an assistant at Tynie to understudy Naisy at all. Brave tactics, well executed.

The size of Airdrie and the quality of their stadium though again make it clear how ****ing stupid it is to have a 12 team top flight. Would much rather play Airdrie and Mirren twice each than either of them three or possibly four times.

Tv wants 4 OF games. Doncaster cant consruct a sales pitch without it. Killie and Motherwells build big away stands and support this, waiting on their crumbs. The end, unfortunately.

Turkeys voting for xmas.