***Official Airdrie v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

No Idle Talk
5 hours ago, karipidis said:

No idea why people are talking about resting Shankland etc. 3rd place is looking pretty comfortable, the cup games should be the main priority until the end of the season as it has a huge bearing on European football for next season. 

100%. Any talk of resting Shankland is mental. Can you imagine if Steven Naismith actually did that and we got bumped? Pffff. This place would go into an absolute meltdown. And rightfully so.

No. Get our strongest team out on the park tomorrow and get the game won. We have built up quite a cushion in the league now so there will be other times to give players a day off and let them rest their legs.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboozy

• iantjambo

• Bauld

• King prawn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I can understand those who want the bigots knocked out early, but that does not give us a clear path to the cup. I would rather Celtic got through to the final and played us. We would possibly be favourites to win if they were out, but that doesn't account for a freak result. You only have to look at Morton. Tomorrows game is not a given either so counting chickens and all that!

The possibility of an other team winning means we lose a load of cash and the odds are too high to want the two biggest teams out. Besides the GFA want one of then in the final as seen by the fact they very rarely get drawn against each other in the early rounds.

Of the two arse cheeks, I would rather play Celtic in the final (if we get there) than Sevco. Celtic, are beatable as we know.

1 hour ago, Ari Gold said:

Nah. Strongest team as possible. 

Thing is tho, other than Tags, it could well be, if that makes sense? Our strongest team has been what it is down to availability.

Like Kent. Un-bloody-droppable. But if hes injured, we need Halks. And if we didnt have Kent, we'd be chuffed to have Halks.

So im kinda with you and well happy to put the "proper" first xi, but Nat or Dex, Kye or Kings, Fraser or Grant?? I like Newy too of course!!

Anyhoo. This team or full team, we win.

Is Scottish cup 3 or 5 subs allowed?

grumpyespana

Thinking about Gordon and Scotland guys I dinnie think he has much to worry about after that display by Liam Kelly last night lol.

TweedbankJambo
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

What about the other one?!  And sure they knocked us out in an early round too.  Plus all the league games!  We couldn’t buy a win against that mob for a while in the 90s.  Horrible, horrible team to play against.

Edit: don’t think they ever beat us 2-1 in a semi.  Think it was 1-0 when Robbo got sent off and the other one was definitely on penalties.

Oops. I'm getting mixed up with something 😂 I'm getting old but I was at that game at Hampden. Yeah I think it was 94 and penalties right enough 👍 worrying how bad my memory is though 🙄

Ex member of the SaS

Basically a must win so get the strongest team out. Shanks or any other player could sit on the bench in a league game and come on if required thus giving him/them a rest if both player and manager think it is advisable.

Getting knocked out by a big team is easier to bear than getting stuffed by Airdrie.

frankblack

Should change the thread title to Clydebank vs Heart Of Midlothian.

Airdrie are dead like Rangers.

Around 100 tickets left for the game about an hour ago. If anyone wants a ticket they better move quickly. 

LeylandJambo
7 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Airdrie are better than Spartans and we didn't exactly cruise that one.

I think we'll be a lot more switched on tomorrow 

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 hours ago, EH4JAMBO said:

Any recommended boozers 

Drink travelling to the game would be my advice , shithole of a place with halfwits looking for trouble

4 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Basically a must win so get the strongest team out. Shanks or any other player could sit on the bench in a league game and come on if required thus giving him/them a rest if both player and manager think it is advisable.

Getting knocked out by a big team is easier to bear than getting stuffed by Airdrie.

Aye.  Third isn’t over the line but looks likely.  The most important comp left is the cup because it’s all we can win.  Anyway, it shouldn’t really be a stretch for Hearts to manage a league campaign along with the cup.  

Strongest team out and no complacency. It’s going to be tough and you have to outfight these teams on a day that is their biggest to date.  

Strongest team available for this definitely. Also unless we're 3-0 up at 75 mins shanks doesn't get a rest!

Not confident in tagawa at all and altho I like Vargas he's still young and can be a bit erratic.

We hopefully will put in a better first half performance in this game than usual. If we can have the game done by HT, that would be good.

AC Mallin_51

Massive game, a bad result would dent the feel good factor massively and things could unravel. Not only that being in the cup keeps our European destiny in our own hands. Imagine cruising 3rd for the likes of Aberdeen, Killie or Hibs sneaking in and pinching it with a cup win 🤮🤮🤮

16 minutes ago, gordon simpson said:

Airdrie won the cup one hundred years ago beating hibs 2-0 

Yes, the 1878 - 2002 Club (RIP) won that one major Trophy. Clydebank/Airdrie United (now calling themselves Airdrieonians) have not won any major trophies 🙃

Seaside Dave

We need to win. The only 2 teams we aren't expected to beat are the Glasgow 2. And even at that it pisses me off. So no slip ups tomorrow. Get them pumped and get back down the road 

27 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Massive game, a bad result would dent the feel good factor massively and things could unravel. Not only that being in the cup keeps our European destiny in our own hands. Imagine cruising 3rd for the likes of Aberdeen, Killie or Hibs sneaking in and pinching it with a cup win 🤮🤮🤮

We will be taking this match very seriously.  Its huge. The club, players and fans all know this. We will treat it as if we are playing a PL team away. Be professional. Keep doing what we've been doing for quite some time. Win the match. Home, teeth, bed. 

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Drink travelling to the game would be my advice , shithole of a place with halfwits looking for trouble

Oh really that bad what about surrounding areas hear of a few supporters clubs booked in to places if anyone could accommodate another 5 bodies 

upgotheheads
6 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Strong team, stay in the competition, no mental changes, Gordon one change I’d make though.

Why?

Selkirkhmfc1874
18 minutes ago, EH4JAMBO said:

Oh really that bad what about surrounding areas hear of a few supporters clubs booked in to places if anyone could accommodate another 5 bodies 

Personally gonna have few drinks before leaving and few drinks on trains buddy 

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Absolutely not.

I’ve really liked the look of him, what I’ve seen of him so far. He hasn’t let us down. Plastic pitch, I’d stick him in personally. 

upgotheheads
Just now, ShedBoy said:

I’ve really liked the look of him, what I’ve seen of him so far. He hasn’t let us down. Plastic pitch, I’d stick him in personally. 

I like the look of him too, but this is a one-off game where any mistake can be fatal. Young players should be introduced when mistakes don't cost 100's of thousands of pounds. Tomorrow is about application and winning the game, not leaving with egg on our faces because we took the game too lightly by exposing young players. 

Armageddon
11 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Why should we start Gordon tomorrow?

An opportunity for match fitness, there’s zero doubt over his quality.

4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I like the look of him too, but this is a one-off game where any mistake can be fatal. Young players should be introduced when mistakes don't cost 100's of thousands of pounds. Tomorrow is about application and winning the game, not leaving with egg on our faces because we took the game too lightly by exposing young players. 

A fair point well made

upgotheheads
4 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

An opportunity for match fitness, there’s zero doubt over his quality.

What recent evidence do you have for that? This is not a game for getting match fitness. Just by saying that you imply that he's not match fit. Why would you go into a crucial match with a goalie that's not match fit?

Edited by upgotheheads

Armageddon
11 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

What recent evidence do you have for that? This is not a game for getting match fitness. Just by saying that you imply that he's not match fit. Why would you go into a crucial match with a goalie that's not match fit?

He’s Scotlands best keeper for the last 15 years 

tiger Rudi
6 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I would say a goalie is different from an outfield player when worrying about match fitness. The work a goalie does in training probably far outweighs anything he would normally be expected to do in an actual match. 

Maybe a young inexperienced keeper would be a bag of nerves getting thrown in, but this is CG we are talking about. If he gets picked tomorrow, I've no concerns. He will be ready. Looked like his old self against Spartans.

I'm sure he's bossing it in training, hence reason McGovern was sent out on loan. 

upgotheheads
14 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

He was, but he has only played one game in the last year or so. 

upgotheheads
16 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

I would say a goalie is different from an outfield player when worrying about match fitness. The work a goalie does in training probably far outweighs anything he would normally be expected to do in an actual match. 

Maybe a young inexperienced keeper would be a bag of nerves getting thrown in, but this is CG we are talking about. If he gets picked tomorrow, I've no concerns. He will be ready. Looked like his old self against Spartans.

I'm sure he's bossing it in training, hence reason McGovern was sent out on loan. 

Physical fitness is one thing, judgment, for a goalie, is much more.

PaddysBar
9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Clark’s done well ish but most people believe we have the better keeper sitting on the bench. 

I think Gordon should play tomorrow and get the chance to put pressure on Clark. 

That’s in the interest of Hearts. 

Niemi’s gloves
34 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

18 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Quite happy to go with whichever one Naismith and his coaching team pick.

I think it will probably be CG tomorrow with Zander back next weekend but don’t see any reason to worry either way.

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Personally gonna have few drinks before leaving and few drinks on trains buddy 

Thanks for the reply’s Selkirk 👍🏻 

tiger Rudi
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Physical fitness is one thing, judgment, for a goalie, is much more.

Yes, I take your point. I still think that a goalkeeper deals with so much more in training than he ever has to in an actual match. Working at set pieces, using his judgement when dealing with crosses, shot-stopping, close in reflex work. I'm sure training is the only time Zander and Craig actually break sweat. They probably handle the ball more in a pre-match warm up than the actual match too. 

I've no concerns with either of them starting tomorrow tbh. Lucky to have such a difficult choice, but just like squad outfield players who need a run out, goalies need one too. 

Wearsider
5 hours ago, EH4JAMBO said:

Any recommended boozers 

Edinburgh for me and last train possible :lol:

gregzy2k7

Would also play Gordon, slightly harsh on Clark, but if not now, then when does he get an opportunity? Before the end of season when 3rd is hopefully wrapped up? 

For me I would go with,

Gordon

Kent Halks Kingsley

Dexter Hoff Beni Cochrane

Grant

Forrest Shanks

Bench :

Clark

Rowles 

Atkinson

Devlin

Tait

Fraser

Vargas

Oda

Tagawa

This gives us plenty of attacking options if things are not going to plan and can switch to a 4 at back later and put an extra attacker on the pitch.

Prediction is hopefully 2-1 hearts in 90 mins.

beerbandit
1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Would also play Gordon, slightly harsh on Clark, but if not now, then when does he get an opportunity? Before the end of season when 3rd is hopefully wrapped up? 

For me I would go with,

Gordon

Kent Halks Kingsley

Dexter Hoff Beni Cochrane

Grant

Forrest Shanks

Bench :

Clark

Rowles 

Atkinson

Devlin

Tait

Fraser

Vargas

Oda

Tagawa

This gives us plenty of attacking options if things are not going to plan and can switch to a 4 at back later and put an extra attacker on the pitch.

Prediction is hopefully 2-1 hearts in 90 mins.

Its Airdrie we are playing. Why

not an extra attacker from the start

sandylejambo

Imagine playing Gordon for the cup games and reaching the final, the goalie that's cruised us to third sits out the final. Hard to take that one.