Zander Clark vs Craig Gordon ( merged )

DS98

13 minutes ago, busbyfth said:

In the part season that CG "got" before injury, he admitted that he had cost us 4-5 goals with errors. A phase of poor play he had never experienced before. Folk conveniently forget this. ZC had little chance at any of the goals on Saturday - Our defence and midfield should be under scrutiny not him. 

Nobody is conveniently forgetting that. Seems as though folk are conveniently forgetting the errors that Clark has made over this season though. The many flaps at the ball and poor positioning where he's cost us goals.

I'm sure most of us remember a few errors from CG back then, but the thing is those were uncharacteristic, and he's more than capable of making up for them with the ridiculous amount of world class saves he makes. 

I'm amazed it's got to the point where folk are that committed to defending Clark that we're now looking to downplay our best ever keeper's abilities and trying to call him out on a couple of mistakes he made last season. 

Edited by Chimp

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Fozzyonthefence

• ArcticJambo

• DS98

2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Nobody is conveniently forgetting that. Seems as though folk are conveniently forgetting the errors that Clark has made over this season though. The many flaps at the ball and poor positioning where he's cost us goals.

I'm sure most of us remember a few errors from CG back then, but the thing is those were uncharacteristic, and he's more than capable of making up for them with the ridiculous amount of world class saves he makes. 

I'm amazed it's got to the point where folk are that committed to defending Clark that we're now looking to downplay our best ever keeper's abilities and trying to call him out on a couple of mistakes he made last season. 

I personally dont forget the Clark ba11s ups which cost us goals (not as many as there might have been - as hes dodged a few bullets).....and i have always detested the way he deals with crosses - worst Ive ever seen. I was putting across ther alternate side of the base argument.

Just now, busbyfth said:

I personally dont forget the Clark ba11s ups which cost us goals (not as many as there might have been - as hes dodged a few bullets).....and i have always detested the way he deals with crosses - worst Ive ever seen. I was putting across ther alternate side of the base argument.

Fair enough. 

DalryJambo
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

In fairness Clark hasn't done much wrong bar Saturday. He's been solid this season. He's got the most difficult job at the club with CG breathing down his neck. He has to be perfect, otherwise you get this sort of reaction...

I don't necessarily think it's a case of what's being seen in training, I think it's a case of not upsetting too much in what has been a relatively settled defence (and very good, going by the # of clean sheets) this season.

I agree completely. 

If its not broken, don't fix it. That being said, it's Clarks position to lose so the pressure is on him to preform to an extent.

We need to avoid any chance of dropping Clark for Gordon (for no real reason), then having to drop Gordon as he is rusty. Tgat will unsettle the hoalies, the defence and then the rest of the team. It could aslo undermined Clarks confidence and Naismiths judgement will be under scrutiny.

ArcticJambo
33 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I did read them mate. Still think what you said is a wild take and your previous posts have no relevance to the comment I picked up on. 

Each to their own though. Suppose you won't ever be able to tell who the better keeper is unless you personally watch them in training  😉 

31 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You said there’s not much between Clark and Gordon.  I’m not sure any Hearts fan would actually say that about Hearts and Scotland’s best ever keeper. 🤔

C'mon lads, we're talking about the now. :lol:  Not when CG was at his best, nor even before his latest injury, it's a no contest. CG off a bad injury, and at, what is it now, 41.  That's the comparison we're talking about, thought that pretty self evident.

Remember budgie Burridge at Hibs, think he was the same age, maybe even just slightly older when he was minding the nets for the Hibs, lol.  Anyway, I'm just trying to look at this in a semi-balanced way, and the dilemma Naismith probably has. At the end of the day do I think we could get a better keeper than Clark in goals for Hearts, yes! Do i think we currently have that keeper at Hearts, probably yes.

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

There's only one ,Craig Gordon,but he ain't going to be around for ever😔 Clark,if he's ninety percent as good, will do alright 👍🏻

He will need to get a hell of a lot better to get to half the GK Gordon was, a bog standard SPFL GK may well be ok for some but as a club we need a better standard of player to progress. 

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Spot on

Just now, ArcticJambo said:

C'mon lads, we're talking about the now. :lol:  Not when CG was at his best, nor even before his latest injury, it's a no contest. CG off a bad injury, and at, what is it now, 41.  That's the comparison we're talking about, thought that pretty self evident.

Remember budgie Burridge at Hibs, think he was the same age, maybe even just slightly older when he was minding the nets for the Hibs, lol.  Anyway, I'm just trying to look at this in a semi-balanced way, and the dilemma Naismith probably has. At the end of the day do I think we could get a better keeper than Clark in goals for Hearts, yes! Do i think we currently have that keeper at Hearts, probably yes.

If it's based on age, he had arguably his best seasons ever at 38/39 years old. Hardly like we're comparing him to the same young keeper we had first time round. He's shown in the cup games he's still got it and agile enough. What more evidence do you need 😂

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, busbyfth said:

Correct, but not dealing with crosses cost us the 3rd and 4th goal on Saturday and CG saves 1st and 5th. 

ArcticJambo
41 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Just watching them in training won’t tell you that either.  Only actual games and one of them isn’t getting them at the moment.  Apparently CG has been great in training too though so it should be time for him to get the gloves back.  It’s the only way we’ll find out.  Certainly won’t find out if he stays on the bench until he retires. 

30 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Of course it won't. Training and games are different. You get guys who aren't great in training yet play brilliantly while there's some who look great in training but can't do it on a match day.

Like you say though it's not even as if Gordon has been poor in training anyway. Baffles me that so many on here don't think he should be playing. Does Clark need to have numerous howlers in a match to be dropped? He should have saved the 5th goal against Rangers, does he need to be at fault for them all for it to warrant our best keeper returning? No idea what the bar is. 

Are you and Fozzy on the coaching/training staff?  Or just hanging about the 1st team sessions? :lol:

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

If it's based on age, he had arguably his best seasons ever at 38/39 years old. Hardly like we're comparing him to the same young keeper we had first time round. He's shown in the cup games he's still got it and agile enough. What more evidence do you need 😂

What more evidence does the manager need, he is the one that matters. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Correct, but not dealing with crosses cost us the 3rd and 4th goal on Saturday and CG saves 1st and 5th. 

He saves the 3rd as well for me. Clark's stance and positioning is all wrong. Caught flat footed and hadn't prepared himself for the shot properly.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Chimp said:

He saves the 3rd as well for me. Clark's stance and positioning is all wrong. Caught flat footed and hadn't prepared himself for the shot properly.

Possibly, the guy telegraphed where he was putting it. He doesn’t move his feet well.
I would be questioning the coaching he gets also and whether they are telling SN that Gordon should return, as he wont will rely on that input as he wont see much of CG at training. 

8 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Are you and Fozzy on the coaching/training staff?  Or just hanging about the 1st team sessions? :lol:

Or maybe it came from Naismith in an interview? Possibly that.

“I’ve seen him for about a month or so now and I’m comfortable that he’s back to where he was.

“That was always going to be the question mark for someone his age but he has shown that.

Steven Naismith pleased as Craig Gordon returns for Hearts after lengthy lay-off – The Irish News

Edited by Chimp

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Or maybe it came from Naismith in an interview? Possibly that.

“I’ve seen him for about a month or so now and I’m comfortable that he’s back to where he was.

“That was always going to be the question mark for someone his age but he has shown that.

Good man.  Possibly, or actually that?

This is boring now, I've got no idea what you're actually trying to convince me of, seems more like back-tracking from an initial daft retort. The sun is shining, I'm off to enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Felix Lighter
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He will need to get a hell of a lot better to get to half the GK Gordon was, a bog standard SPFL GK may well be ok for some but as a club we need a better standard of player to progress. 

Yep, if CG were to retire this summer I'd be very disappointed if Clark was seen as his replacement.

He was brought in as back up to CG. CG is back fit so Clark goes back to the bench. No brainer.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Felix Lighter said:

Yep, if CG were to retire this summer I'd be very disappointed if Clark was seen as his replacement.

He was brought in as back up to CG. CG is back fit so Clark goes back to the bench. No brainer.

Thats all he is really, a number 2. Can sell him on if hes not happy about it. 

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Good man.  Possibly, or actually that?

This is boring now, I've got no idea what you're actually trying to convince me of, seems more like back-tracking from an initial daft retort. The sun is shining, I'm off to enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Ah so when you realise your wee joke didn't work out the way you'd hoped it's boring now 😉

I'm not trying to convince you of anything and haven't backtracked once. I simply called you out for suggesting there's not much between Gordon and Clark. Enjoy 👌

Rocky jamboa

Gordon is (or was!) The better shot stopper. Clarke has been pretty reliable though and not really noticed Gordon being out. He does everything you expect him to do without being overly spectacular.

I'd like to see Gordon back in goals though as think he is the better keeper out the two and makes some spectacular saves. Also, he's probably only got this and next season left, plus due to his longer connection with the club, id like him to get his chance.

I would bring Gordon back as first choice. Clark is a decent gk but certainly no more than that.

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

We all know Gordon is a better keeper, Naismith needs to act.

And what do we do if Gordon starts on Wednesday and we lose? Do we drop him for the Celtic game?

soonbe110
27 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

I agree completely. 

If its not broken, don't fix it. That being said, it's Clarks position to lose so the pressure is on him to preform to an extent.

We need to avoid any chance of dropping Clark for Gordon (for no real reason), then having to drop Gordon as he is rusty. Tgat will unsettle the hoalies, the defence and then the rest of the team. It could aslo undermined Clarks confidence and Naismiths judgement will be under scrutiny.

Issue for me is that whilst Clark is  a good competent keeper at our level he doesn’t make those special saves that the really good keepers make. Gordon makes the special saves pretty regularly and that makes a big difference.  He may have got to their first goal on Saturday and would certainly have done better with their fifth. 

Japan Jambo
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

His attempt for the 5th goal, Joel Pereira would be embarrassed about. 

You can’t say he done anything glaringly ‘wrong’ with the other 4 but that’s the point. Gordon saves potentially 2 of those goals. That wouldn’t make a difference on a day like Saturday but could well be the difference between a 1 goal defeat or a 1 goal victory on Wednesday or any other tight game. 

Gordon has the ability to win us points by making impossible saves possible. As steady as Clark can be, I don’t think he can. 

That wage thief popadom hands had no shame and to compare Zander to him is ludicrous. Clark hasn't done much wrong, his only 'crime' is of being less brilliant than Craig Gordon.

HeartsandonlyHearts
4 hours ago, Bozi said:

Yeah it's very strange, take Gordon out of the picture and we would all be raving about how good Clark is, how many clean sheets he has etc. it's a fantastic position to be in and most clubs would bite out hands off for Zander as their goalie.

Craig Gordon is different class, doesn't mean we have to play down Zanders capabilities 

We would not be raving about how good Clark is. We’d be stating he’s the best available. At this time though, with Gordon on our squad he’s not the best available. We should play our best player at every position. Now it’s possible that Naismith believes Clark is the best. That’s totally different. He’s the boss.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, busbyfth said:

In the part season that CG "got" before injury, he admitted that he had cost us 4-5 goals with errors. A phase of poor play he had never experienced before. Folk conveniently forget this. ZC had little chance at any of the goals on Saturday - Our defence and midfield should be under scrutiny not him. 

ZC has cost us several goals this season too, people tend to conveniently forget that too because we are on a great run.  Then there are the ones where they may not look immediately like goalkeeping errors but you wonder if CH saves them or if ZC should be with better positioning or moving his feet quicker. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

Just what Naismith said about him in training.  Fine if you don’t believe him either, I don’t really care. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Russ1977 said:

I think naisy waits till 3rd is sown up before Gordon gets a run of games. 

Why?  It’s not like playing our best keeper will weaken our chances of finishing 3rd.  It’s pretty much in the bag anyway.  

Watt-Zeefuik
6 hours ago, Bozi said:

Zander Clark is the number 1 goalie in most teams in the league, he is in the Scotland squad on merit and is a very, very good keeper and will be for a good few years at Hearts

The problem is Craig Gordon is genuinely world class and a step or two above any level that Clark can reach. If he is fully fit and back to his best,then it's unfortunate for Zander but Gordon should be back 

Exactly this. And Clark knew damn well who Gordon was and that he was on the team when he signed. He's our future #1 for years if he sticks around. But right now we should be playing Gordon.

40 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

We would not be raving about how good Clark is. We’d be stating he’s the best available. At this time though, with Gordon on our squad he’s not the best available. We should play our best player at every position. Now it’s possible that Naismith believes Clark is the best. That’s totally different. He’s the boss.

Agree to disagree, let's be quite honest of Craig Gordon wasn't about, injured, retired, whatever we would be clamouring for Clark to go to the Euro's as Scotland's keeper. His record this season has been very, very good 

But Craig Gordon is about and he isn't injured anymore and for some reason that is making folk talk Clark down.

15 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Exactly this. And Clark knew damn well who Gordon was and that he was on the team when he signed. He's our future #1 for years if he sticks around. But right now we should be playing Gordon.

Absolutely 👍

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, Chimp said:

It's quite bad; I don't want to lay into Clark too much because it's not necessary; he should be on the bench for this game for a lot of reasons

McGregor was playing for rangers until last Season's end, turning 42 at the very end of January; Gordon is funnily enough' precisely 11 months younger and better preserved, especially when you consider the long lay-offs with injuries and I'd be surprised if he didn't last longer than McGregor without that time off

As for trying to criticise Gordon for the horrific defensive set-up where neither CB could clear a cross with a header and would let high balls bounce or get over them, that just makes no sense

Pretty confident nobody needs to be concerned about Gordon for this Season and next, easy

Edit: for this game, it's likely to be Kent and Kingsley, possibly Rowles on the left of a 3, a much better standard, more like Gordon is used to, having played all those games in Europe and for Scotland; Clark has had that all Season already

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

You're having a Giraffe

image.thumb.jpeg.84f45297f2ea1b5c8bf18c91cfff1293.jpeg

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

And what do we do if Gordon starts on Wednesday and we lose? Do we drop him for the Celtic game?

Not sure anyone's arguing for any permanent switch right now

Can you picture how you'll feel if Clark started and they took the lead?

Clark was badly exposed and there's 3 games in 8 days

The situation can be re-visited after the game

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

That wage thief popadom hands had no shame and to compare Zander to him is ludicrous. Clark hasn't done much wrong, his only 'crime' is of being less brilliant than Craig Gordon.

Hea been at fault for about a dozen goals in just over a year, and has mastered nothing about his job. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

ZC has cost us several goals this season too, people tend to conveniently forget that too because we are on a great run.  Then there are the ones where they may not look immediately like goalkeeping errors but you wonder if CH saves them or if ZC should be with better positioning or moving his feet quicker. 

Exactly 

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

You're having a Giraffe

image.thumb.jpeg.84f45297f2ea1b5c8bf18c91cfff1293.jpeg

:lol: Aye, that's getting there with budgie, but with thinning curly hair, and even more of a mentaklist I'm lead to believe!  With yer pic I've got visions of blowfish, the offspring of GoC & Budgie B.  Do I know you, haha?

Ricardo Quaresma
4 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

:lol: Aye, that's getting there with budgie, but with thinning curly hair, and even more of a mentaklist I'm lead to believe!  With yer pic I've got visions of blowfish, the offspring of GoC & Budgie B.  Do I know you, haha?

Is your name John, with blonde hair? No? Then no 🤣

ArcticJambo
Just now, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Is your name John, with blonde hair? No? Then no 🤣

I don't know a John with blonde hair either, Ricky. All good.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

I don't know a John with blonde hair either, Ricky. All good.

I'm not Portuguese either 🤣

👍

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I'm not Portuguese either 🤣

👍

I knew a Ricky once, he was Chinese though. Ohhwell.

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

If you’re talking about now then you’re only guessing because he hasn’t been playing!  But why punish him for that when his stand is is only average at best and doing a competent job rather than brilliant?   He has to play so the management team can make a judgement on how close to his best he still is.  The truth is, until he plays regularly again, nobody including Naismith knows. 

ArcticJambo
3 hours ago, Chimp said:

Ah so when you realise your wee joke didn't work out the way you'd hoped it's boring now 😉

I'm not trying to convince you of anything and haven't backtracked once. I simply called you out for suggesting there's not much between Gordon and Clark. Enjoy 👌

Nahh mate, your replies bored me, they offered nothing inciteful, despite perhaps the arrogance seeping through the screen.  Now noted.

You know you're allowed to shoot your muck too early it's no biggie on here really, and fair dos if you admit it but you'll never be taken seriously otherwise.  You started your interaction with me with dick chat. My reply to that was exactly what you deserved.  I can go back and quote it all if you like, actually I'll let you do the heavy lifting on that .... you won't, .... coz it'll all become abundantly clear.  Enjoy 👌

ArcticJambo
8 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

If you’re talking about now then you’re only guessing because he hasn’t been playing!  But why punish him for that when his stand is is only average at best and doing a competent job rather than brilliant?   He has to play so the management team can make a judgement on how close to his best he still is.  The truth is, until he plays regularly again, nobody including Naismith knows. 

No worries, Fozzy. I'm not particularly defending Clark, I'd have Gordon in myself but yes I am guessing about how CG is performing in training - I stated if he's still gettng down well to those low shots and pushing them round the post then nthat's good enough for me. I didn't have enough LPs to get to Ainslie Park but I did see him at the Excelsior, though I don't really remember him having a save to make in all honesty. Must have been all those damned flags waving in front of me behind the goals!  I think that's his only two appearances this year.

I guess I would say (as I said previously) that when Zander starts costing us points (he hasn't I'm fairly certain in Naisy' time/our last wee run, 10/12 games) then there's real justification for hooking him.  Craigy is my favourite, just ahead of Henry Smith, for the record.

Fozzyonthefence
33 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

No worries, Fozzy. I'm not particularly defending Clark, I'd have Gordon in myself but yes I am guessing about how CG is performing in training - I stated if he's still gettng down well to those low shots and pushing them round the post then nthat's good enough for me. I didn't have enough LPs to get to Ainslie Park but I did see him at the Excelsior, though I don't really remember him having a save to make in all honesty. Must have been all those damned flags waving in front of me behind the goals!  I think that's his only two appearances this year.

I guess I would say (as I said previously) that when Zander starts costing us points (he hasn't I'm fairly certain in Naisy' time/our last wee run, 10/12 games) then there's real justification for hooking him.  Craigy is my favourite, just ahead of Henry Smith, for the record.

You don’t need LPs to watch the whole game when it’s live on BBC!  Anyway, he had one good save v Spartans (one I’d expect him or Clark to save) and absolutely no chance with the worldly they scored, which no keeper was saving.  Again, the Airdrie game, one good save at either 0-0 or 1-0 and no chance with a great header which went right in the corner.  In both games he looked very comfortable with the few other things he had to do, taking cross balls (unlike ZC) and sweeping up outside his area. Not really enough to judge on though.  

Don’t agree that ZC should be dropped when he is costing us points.  That’s a given but he should be dropped for costing us goals too and he’s done that fairly frequently throughout the season.  Not to mention the obvious - just play your best players / team!  

As for guessing about how well CG is doing in training why not just take the manager’s word for it when he says he’s looking great?

1971fozzy

I’d love to see Gordon back. But I’m conflicted in that Clark has really not done anything that bad to be dropped. Turmoil

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You don’t need LPs to watch the whole game when it’s live on BBC!  Anyway, he had one good save v Spartans (one I’d expect him or Clark to save) and absolutely no chance with the worldly they scored, which no keeper was saving.  Again, the Airdrie game, one good save at either 0-0 or 1-0 and no chance with a great header which went right in the corner.  In both games he looked very comfortable with the few other things he had to do, taking cross balls (unlike ZC) and sweeping up outside his area. Not really enough to judge on though.  

Don’t agree that ZC should be dropped when he is costing us points.  That’s a given but he should be dropped for costing us goals too and he’s done that fairly frequently throughout the season.  Not to mention the obvious - just play your best players / team!  

As for guessing about how well CG is doing in training why not just take the manager’s word for it when he says he’s looking great?

Jeez man, I watched the game on the telly. Did I say I wasn't or wouldn't take the manager's word for how CG is doing  in training. :lol:  If that's all we have to go on then SN will make the call, I'm not going to be up at the plaza middle of the night with a spray can if he picks CG on Wed.

Fozzyonthefence
21 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Jeez man, I watched the game on the telly. Did I say I wasn't or wouldn't take the manager's word for how CG is doing  in training. :lol:  If that's all we have to go on then SN will make the call, I'm not going to be up at the plaza middle of the night with a spray can if he picks CG on Wed.

Fair enough, your post suggested to me that you hadn’t seen him at Spartans.  Doesn’t really matter if you see him in the flesh or live on tv (although to be fair you see more on the tv, get replays, etc).

fwiw I think SN will stick with ZC on Wednesday out of loyalty but suspect next bad performance CG will be back in.  

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Fair enough, your post suggested to me that you hadn’t seen him at Spartans.  Doesn’t really matter if you see him in the flesh or live on tv (although to be fair you see more on the tv, get replays, etc).

fwiw I think SN will stick with ZC on Wednesday out of loyalty but suspect next bad performance CG will be back in.  

Works for me, Fozzy.

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, Gambo said:

It’s simple, you play your best players. Craig Gordon is better than Clark.

It’s not even close in terms of ability.   Of course there are question marks over how good CG comes back (remember a lot were speculating he was finished when he joined us from Celtic too).  But we won’t find out with him stuck on the bench.