Zander Clark vs Craig Gordon ( merged )

DS98

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Gambo said:

It’s simple, you play your best players. Craig Gordon is better than Clark.

No doubt about that 👍🏽

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Fozzyonthefence

• ArcticJambo

• DS98

i wish jj was my dad
5 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

That wage thief popadom hands had no shame and to compare Zander to him is ludicrous. Clark hasn't done much wrong, his only 'crime' is of being less brilliant than Craig Gordon.

That's about the size of it. He's been pretty solid all season and Saturday aside part of the best defence we've had for a few years. I want Craig back in because I think he is the better keeper but Zander has been Scotland back up keeper on merit. Let's not pretend he is 'bog standard' when we've had bog standard and a lot worse in the not too distant past. 

6 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Why?  It’s not like playing our best keeper will weaken our chances of finishing 3rd.  It’s pretty much in the bag anyway.  

Personally I would play Gordon but I just have a feeling Naisy will stick with Clark till we are home and hosed in 3rd. 

Clark will remain in goals he has been part of a settled defence for this season.

Changing the goalie at this point would be insanity. 

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, Russ1977 said:

Personally I would play Gordon but I just have a feeling Naisy will stick with Clark till we are home and hosed in 3rd. 

I think he’ll stick with Clark on Wednesday but I don’t think he’ll wait until 3rd is mathematically sewn up.  It’s not like he’ll be throwing in an untried 18 year old, he’s probably Scotland’s best ever keeper.  Gordon will obviously play against Morton and I suspect keep the gloves after that if he has a good game. 

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, Rods said:

Clark will remain in goals he has been part of a settled defence for this season.

In what way would changing the goalie for a vastly superior one be insanity?  Insanity is not picking your best players.  

And how settled was the defence on Saturday?  Or the two recent games against Dundee, or Ross County?   CG was always going to come back in, was just a question of when.  

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

In what way would changing the goalie for a vastly superior one be insanity?  Insanity is not picking your best players.  

And how settled was the defence on Saturday?  Or the two recent games against Dundee, or Ross County?   CG was always going to come back in, was just a question of when.  

Zander Clark has the 2nd most clean sheets this season. 

This is not the time to unsettle a unit that 99% of the time has not let us down. 

Calm heads are required. 

Fozzyonthefence
17 minutes ago, Rods said:

This is not the time to unsettle a unit that 99% of the time has not let us down. 

Calm heads are required. 

Clean sheets are down to the whole defence not just the keeper.  You can get a clean sheet without making a single save.  

When Gordon was available again the majority on here thought it was right that he bides his time and Clark keeps the gloves for a bit but seems you’re in a small minority now and most think it’s time for what was an inevitable change.  It’s nothing to do with clear heads, Clark makes too many mistakes and simply isn’t in the same class as Gordon.  Clark makes decent saves, Gordon makes world class saves.  Regularly. 

It’s also not as if Gordon isn’t used to playing with Rowles, Atkinson, Halkett,  Kingsley and Cochrane in front of him. It’s hardly going to unsettle the defence and I’m sure they’d appreciate a better class keeper playing behind them again, taking cross balls instead of flapping at them, making those world class saves we almost take for granted.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Rods said:

We have had 11 players play in the defence this season and barely the same group for more than 3 games, all in q variety of positions and formations. Settled isn’t the word to use. Insanity is keeping a clearly inferior player in the team, a bit like playing Boyce instead of Shankland. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Rods said:

Calm heads are required. 

Clean sheets are great but not always a good barometer, would you say he was a better GK than Hart? Kent has made a huge contribution to the defence this season.

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Clean sheets are down to the whole defence not just the keeper.  You can get a clean sheet without making a single save.  

When Gordon was available again the majority on here thought it was right that he bides his time and Clark keeps the gloves for a bit but seems you’re in a small minority now and most think it’s time for what was an inevitable change.  It’s nothing to do with clear heads, Clark makes too many mistakes and simply isn’t in the same class as Gordon.  Clark makes decent saves, Gordon makes world class saves.  Regularly. 

It’s also not as if Gordon isn’t used to playing with Rowles, Atkinson, Halkett,  Kingsley and Cochrane in front of him. It’s hardly going to unsettle the defence and I’m sure they’d appreciate a better class keeper playing behind them again, taking cross balls instead of flapping at them, making those world class saves we almost take for granted.

Spot on 

59 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Cochrane/Kingsley I woulds say Gordon has played with more than five times. You miss out Kent who has been our second best player this season. Ironically Clark has been one of our star performers up until Saturday and I would say that there was plenty ahead of Clark who caused the issue on Saturday. 

Yours and others plan is to unsettle a solid defence and put a scotland international with a big future at Hearts nose out of joint due to a blip and your focusing on a player who did not do much wrong ie a scapegoat.

Like I said insanity and no grasp on how a team morale works.

Edited by Rods

soonbe110
4 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I’d love to see Gordon back. But I’m conflicted in that Clark has really not done anything that bad to be dropped. Turmoil

Though you would select who you thought was the better keeper, no?  

HeartsandonlyHearts
7 hours ago, Bozi said:

Agree to disagree, let's be quite honest of Craig Gordon wasn't about, injured, retired, whatever we would be clamouring for Clark to go to the Euro's as Scotland's keeper. His record this season has been very, very good 

But Craig Gordon is about and he isn't injured anymore and for some reason that is making folk talk Clark down.

Absolutely 👍

I most certainly haven’t talked down Clark. But I most certainly will talk up Gordon. You play your best player. Clark could have thrown the toys out the pram if the first game scheduled after Gordon pronounced himself fit Naismith dropped him. He didn’t and wasn’t. Personally I think Naismith will keep Clark in and keep Gordon in for cup games. Or until we clinch 3rd. I want Gordon back now.

But that’s me. Naismith hasn’t reached out and I doubt he will. He’d have called me by now if it was happening. 😛

While we are scapegoating Clark. 

Kent v Halkett it’s a close one and seeing as we are not counting this season Kent is out. 

Who else? 

Fozzyonthefence
23 minutes ago, Rods said:

Cochrane/Kingsley I woulds say Gordon has played with more than five times. You miss out Kent who has been our second best player this season. Ironically Clark has been one of our star performers up until Saturday and I would say that there was plenty ahead of Clark who caused the issue on Saturday. 

Yours and others plan is to unsettle a solid defence and put a scotland international with a big future at Hearts nose out of joint due to a blip and your focusing on a player who did not do much wrong ie a scapegoat.

Like I said insanity and no grasp on how a team morale works.

Insanity?! Get a grip ffs!  Gordon is probably Scotland’s best ever keeper and has 74 Scotland caps.  To suggest he would weaken our defence is insanity and an insult to one of our greatest ever players.  

You’re right though, Gordon has definitely played with Kingsley and Cochrane more than 5 times.  More like two and a half seasons with Kingsley and one and a half seasons with Cochrane.  Plus two and a half seasons with Halkett prior to his leg break and half a season with both Atkinson and Rowles and loads of games with Sibbick too.  I don’t doubt they’d all rather have the best keeper they’ve ever played with back behind him and Kent will be absolutely fine too with a better keeper that he can trust more. 

That Clark has international caps now is more testament to the lack of Scottish keepers playing in the Premier League or in England.  He was already in the Scotland squad when he was at St Johnstone yet when he was available on a free nobody was interested except us as a back up keeper.  Says a lot for me. Sorry, but he’s decent / average - a big upgrade on Peirera, Doyle, Zlamal sure but a big downgrade on Gordon.

1971fozzy
38 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Though you would select who you thought was the better keeper, no?  

yes your right. Its a tough one though for the manager

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Insanity?! Get a grip ffs!  Gordon is probably Scotland’s best ever keeper and has 74 Scotland caps.  To suggest he would weaken our defence is insanity and an insult to one of our greatest ever players.  

You’re right though, Gordon has definitely played with Kingsley and Cochrane more than 5 times.  More like two and a half seasons with Kingsley and one and a half seasons with Cochrane.  Plus two and a half seasons with Halkett prior to his leg break and half a season with both Atkinson and Rowles and loads of games with Sibbick too.  I don’t doubt they’d all rather have the best keeper they’ve ever played with back behind him and Kent will be absolutely fine too with a better keeper that he can trust more. 

That Clark has international caps now is more testament to the lack of Scottish keepers playing in the Premier League or in England.  He was already in the Scotland squad when he was at St Johnstone yet when he was available on a free nobody was interested except us as a back up keeper.  Says a lot for me. Sorry, but he’s decent / average - a big upgrade on Peirera, Doyle, Zlamal sure but a big downgrade on Gordon.

Facts, huh. It’ll never catch on.

soonbe110
Just now, 1971fozzy said:

👍equally tough discussion with Clark as the ones  he must have been having with Gordon though Clark knows Gordon was number 1 when he signed. 
Naismith brought Beni and Halkett straight back in after a year plus out. Defence was doing well before Halkett returned.  

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, 1971fozzy said:

Yes it is but that’s what managers get paid the big bucks for.  He has to do what is best for Hearts and leave sentiment / loyalty out of it. 

13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

So we are going with drop Kent now aswell?

Clark is currently the second best keeper in Scotland no ifs buts or maybe's cold hard facts.

He hardly had a chance with the goals and made a couple of good saves to keep the score down ( save from Tavenier as an example)

Kent completely mistimed his header for the 4th get him out as we have proven Halkett.

Rowles, Atkinson, Kent, Benni to name but a few were honking on Saturday. If we are basing this solely on Saturday then the team will be interesting on Wednesday or we could stick with the team that got us into a commanding position and are settled.

Clark has done not much wrong to be dropped so how do you think that would affect squad morale?

This is not a Gordon v Clark argument there is no argument Gordon is Hearts best ever goalkeeper and probably Scotlands.

My bet is Gordon will understand the continuity angle and thankfully so will Naismith.

Fozzyonthefence
17 minutes ago, Rods said:

So we are going with drop Kent now aswell?

Clark is currently the second best keeper in Scotland no ifs buts or maybe's cold hard facts.

He hardly had a chance with the goals and made a couple of good saves to keep the score down ( save from Tavenier as an example)

Kent completely mistimed his header for the 4th get him out as we have proven Halkett.

Rowles, Atkinson, Kent, Benni to name but a few were honking on Saturday. If we are basing this solely on Saturday then the team will be interesting on Wednesday or we could stick with the team that got us into a commanding position and are settled.

Clark has done not much wrong to be dropped so how do you think that would affect squad morale?

This is not a Gordon v Clark argument there is no argument Gordon is Hearts best ever goalkeeper and probably Scotlands.

My bet is Gordon will understand the continuity angle and thankfully so will Naismith.

Who mentioned dropping Kent?  I said he’d appreciate having a better keeper behind him.  First choice of the centre backs for me at the moment. 

And I never even mentioned Saturday’s game because I couldn’t bring myself to watch the highlights so I’m basing nothing on that.  You say Clark wasn’t at fault for any of the goals, others say he was at fault for a couple of them.  I can’t comment but I would say you have blinkers on when it comes to Clark’s errors this season or his obvious poor positioning and slowness in moving his feet.  It’s why he’ll never be a top keeper but rather a St Johnstone standard keeper which is what he is.  He’s Hearts 2nd best keeper not Scotland’s 2nd best keeper (not sure if you meant Scottish or playing in SPFL but my point still stands).

And what makes you think having a fantastic goalkeeper return would adversely affect squad morale?  That’s absurd.  Surely morale would be boosted with likely the best keeper any of them have ever played with coming back into the team in the same way it would be boosted by a 30 goal Shankland returning after a year out to replace a 8-10 goal Vargas or Boyce?  Or would you rather continue with an average striker to go along with the average keeper?

You seem to be obsessed with inventing problems that won’t exist and frankly your argument died when you suggested Gordon had only played around 5 games with Kingsley and Cochrane.   He’s played loads of games, more than Clark has, with all the defenders that currently play in the first team except Kent (not even counting Dexter because he’s a winger!). 

As for continuity, we’ve played loads of different defenders in different formations and positions without adversely affecting our form so you’re clutching at straws if you think bringing in a far superior keeper will have a negative impact, you really are. 

Fozzyonthefence
10 minutes ago, DalryJambo said:

This is beginning to feel like the sack Naismith thread from a few months ago!

Hardly, we didn’t have an obvious automatic upgrade waiting to come in for Naismith.  And nobody is calling for anyone to be sacked. Clark was signed as a no.2 keeper and most appear to be of the opinion that it’s time for him to go back to that position. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Spot on, again 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

👍equally tough discussion with Clark as the ones  he must have been having with Gordon though Clark knows Gordon was number 1 when he signed. 
Naismith brought Beni and Halkett straight back in after a year plus out. Defence was doing well before Halkett returned.  

Good point 

15 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Nahh mate, your replies bored me, they offered nothing inciteful, despite perhaps the arrogance seeping through the screen.  Now noted.

You know you're allowed to shoot your muck too early it's no biggie on here really, and fair dos if you admit it but you'll never be taken seriously otherwise.  You started your interaction with me with dick chat. My reply to that was exactly what you deserved.  I can go back and quote it all if you like, actually I'll let you do the heavy lifting on that .... you won't, .... coz it'll all become abundantly clear.  Enjoy 👌

In summary, you claimed there wasn't much between CG and ZC and I so I picked up on that because I think it's laughable. You appear to have taken offence and I'm sorry about that. It's really not that deep mate.

Then when fozzy and I said he'd apparently been good in training you suggested we'd need to be on the coaching staff or hanging about the 1st team sessions to know that. I provided evidence from Naismith himself and that obviously didn't sit well with you. Anyway let's draw a line under it 👍

gorgierulesapply88
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Clark 2nd best GK in Scotland ffs, heard it all now 🤣🤪😂?!?!

Someone selling some strong gear?

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Someone selling some strong gear?

Rods up there, he has to be taking something. 

11E528AB-E8CA-4F34-AB72-3C38AF3CE8B7.jpeg

HeartsandonlyHearts
34 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

In his defense he may have meant the 2nd best Scottish goalkeeper in Scotland. I know Newco and Celtic have English goalies but that’s only because they’re the only two teams on TV over here and so I’m constantly told that. I honestly have no idea where other team goalies are from.

Back to the original point. Gordon for me moving forward.

The #1 goalie in Scotland.

Edited by HeartsandonlyHearts

Cruickie's Moustache

Some of the arguments on this one are getting more and more convoluted.

Like everyone else I have  no problem saying, on their day, Gordon is a better keeper than Clark.

However Gordon has been out for ages and only had a few run outs, with his competitive games being against teams further down the divisions.

Within our ranks we have the league's best striker to test our goalies against.

For all we know, at training sessions, Shankland is whipping 9 out of 10 past Gordon and Clark is saving 5 out of 10 on a regular basis.

We all know how Clark is performing in games but, unless folks have been with the goalies week after week at the Oriam, we are merely speculating  and hoping (from 2 cup outings) Gordon would be up to performing at a his high standard week after week.

Can we just leave Naismith to get on with it being what he is doing got us to a Hampden semi,  still has us clear in 3rd and in the cup with a decent chance of a win next round.

Edited by Cruickie's Moustache

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

Some of the arguments on this one are getting more and more convoluted.

Like everyone else I have  no problem saying, on their day, Gordon is a better keeper than Clark.

However Gordon has been out for ages and only had a few run outs, with his competitive games being against teams further down the divisions.

Within our ranks we have the league's best striker to test our goalies against.

For all we know, at training sessions, Shankland is whipping 9 out of 10 past Gordon and Clark is saving 5 out of 10 on a regular basis.

We all know how Clark is performing in games but, unless folks have been with the goalies week after week at the Oriam, we are merely speculating  and hoping (from 2 cup outings) Gordon would be up to performing at a his high standard week after week.

Can we just leave Naismith to get on with it being what he is doing got us to a Hampden semi,  still has us clear in 3rd and in the cup with a decent chance of a win next round.

Why not just take Naismith’s word for it that Gordon is looking back to his best at training?  

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You do realise he has the second most shutouts in the league? You do realise we are third by a country mile?

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

In his defense he may have meant the 2nd best Scottish goalkeeper in Scotland. I know Newco and Celtic have English goalies but that’s only because they’re the only two teams on TV over here and so I’m constantly told that. I honestly have no idea where other team goalies are from.

Back to the original point. Gordon for me moving forward.

The #1 goalie in Scotland.

No he meant because he’s had the 2nd most clean sheets that It’s a fact hes better than Joe Hart 😆
Gordon definitely the best in Scotland 👍🏽

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

No he meant because he’s had the 2nd most clean sheets that It’s a fact hes better than Joe Hart 😆
Gordon definitely the best in Scotland 👍🏽

How are you judging this he has not played for a year or more? Is this all in your head?

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Rods said:

You do realise he has the second most shutouts in the league? You do realise we are third by a country mile?

Ah you can respond. You said Gordon had 1 clean sheet from his last 17 games, but you wouldn’t answer that Clark had 7 in 24 games. Those were down to a poor defence. 
Clark hasn’t got any better, the defence in front of him has, Kent in particular and the midfield also. The manager has changed the defensive set up at set plays. 
All that has contributed to the clean sheets record, Clark is not the 2nd best GK anymore than our defenders are the 2nd best players in their position, it’s a collective effort. 
The guy was a free agent after months of being available, he is an ok understudy but by no means should be our number 1, he is a master of no part of his job. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Rods said:

How are you judging this he has not played for a year or more? Is this all in your head?

He was before, the manager has said hes back to his best, ask him as he probably knows better than you. 

davemclaren

Like a lot of folk I support the managers judgement on who should be in goal. The coaches see them in training every day and have played both in key matches recently v

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was before, the manager has said hes back to his best, ask him as he probably knows better than you. 

He certainly does and that is why Clark will play.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Rods said:

He certainly does and that is why Clark will play.

Only a matter of time before he makes even more blunders, he will never be even half the GK is. 

tiger Rudi

The world class save in the semi final eclipses this one. I don't think Clark saves either tbh. If Craig is indeed back to his best and I think Naismith has said as much, then IMHO he needs to be reinstated as our number 1. Clark has done well, we are lucky to have him as our back up. 

Three games in a week, some would argue that Gordon should at least get a start in one of them, if he's going to be our "go to" in the cup. 

48 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

The world class save in the semi final eclipses this one. I don't think Clark saves either tbh. If Craig is indeed back to his best and I think Naismith has said as much, then IMHO he needs to be reinstated as our number 1. Clark has done well, we are lucky to have him as our back up. 

Three games in a week, some would argue that Gordon should at least get a start in one of them, if he's going to be our "go to" in the cup. 

In a nutshell. 

Craig can do everything Zander can do AND pull off impossible saves. Not just once in a while but on a weekly basis. That unique ability wins points.

FWIW I think Clark will keep his place tomorrow. I just hope we are so far ahead of them that we don’t need a worldy of a save to win the game. Cos the only guy capable of that will be on the bench. 

i wish jj was my dad

Craig is the better keeper but the revision around Zander's performances is beyond embarrassing. 

ArcticJambo
13 hours ago, Chimp said:

In summary, you claimed there wasn't much between CG and ZC and I so I picked up on that because I think it's laughable. You appear to have taken offence and I'm sorry about that. It's really not that deep mate.

Then when fozzy and I said he'd apparently been good in training you suggested we'd need to be on the coaching staff or hanging about the 1st team sessions to know that. I provided evidence from Naismith himself and that obviously didn't sit well with you. Anyway let's draw a line under it 👍

You've picked me up wrong, no worries, Chimp. I did actually say that if he's been knocking those low ones he's always been fanatastic at getting round the post in traininig then that's good enough for me.  The ones that Clark seems generally incapable of getting.  Anyway, all good. :thumbsup:

Cruickie's Moustache
5 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Why not just take Naismith’s word for it that Gordon is looking back to his best at training?  

'Looking' and 'being' are two different things.

Naismith is there day in day out. He sees what he sees.

I enjoy playing fantasy manager as much as the next one but this is just getting boring.

Luckily for the first time in ages the goalkeeping position is the least of our worries.

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

'Looking' and 'being' are two different things.

Naismith is there day in day out. He sees what he sees.

I enjoy playing fantasy manager as much as the next one but this is just getting boring.

Luckily for the first time in ages the goalkeeping position is the least of our worries.

Well all Gordon can do is look good in training, right?   He can’t do any more than that if the manager doesn’t select  him. 

And you’re right, Naismith will see him in training and that’s what I was referring too - he’s been glowing in his praise about how good CG has been in training.  Nothing to do with Fantasy Manager or speculation, just saying what our own manager has been saying so I’m not really sure what your issue is unless you think Naismith is lying / exaggerating?

Cruickie's Moustache
3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Well all Gordon can do is look good in training, right?   He can’t do any more than that if the manager doesn’t select  him. 

And you’re right, Naismith will see him in training and that’s what I was referring too - he’s been glowing in his praise about how good CG has been in training.  Nothing to do with Fantasy Manager or speculation, just saying what our own manager has been saying so I’m not really sure what your issue is unless you think Naismith is lying / exaggerating?

My issue is that for some reason, some people just can't seem to let it lie that Naismith has clearly not seen Clark do anything wrong that warrants him being dropped and/or Gordon hasn't showed anything exceptional that will improve our current trajectory and that automatically means he gets back the No1 jersey.

5 hours ago, Cruickie's Moustache said:

My issue is that for some reason, some people just can't seem to let it lie that Naismith has clearly not seen Clark do anything wrong that warrants him being dropped and/or Gordon hasn't showed anything exceptional that will improve our current trajectory and that automatically means he gets back the No1 jersey.

Best keeper at the club and should be back in goals . Hard to show anything exceptional when your keeping a bench warm