***Scotland vs Norway - Official Match Thread ***

JimmyCant

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Shanks just need to keep scoring for Hearts. That will get him to the Euros. 

Yup. I’m confident both will happen

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Fozzyonthefence

• Mikey1874

• Deviskan

3 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

As much as I think he has got the shanks/Jacob call completely wrong, not having this either 

World class players ? We have one, arguably, in Andy Robertson. 

Mcginn and Tierney are in the excellent bracket, along with Mctominay .... They aren't world class in comparable terms 

Your opinion on Scotland is entirely your call. That's fair enough 

He has done a brilliant job with that team where other managers , multiple managers, have simply failed 

:spoton:

Good post. Fair and balanced. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Just now, Jim Panzee said:

Yup. I’m confident both will happen

Me too. I actually think what has happened to him over the last 4 days is brilliant news for the rest of Hearts season.  

Shooter McGavin
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Having watched a few Italian games Ferguson not getting a sniff is a puzzler. 

Got the be a cert for Germany though eh

2 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Me too. I actually think what has happened to him over the last 4 days is brilliant news for the rest of Hearts season.  

Yep, gives him an extra edge to every Hearts game, until the end of the season....win, win.

1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

As much as I think he has got the shanks/Jacob call completely wrong, not having this either 

World class players ? We have one, arguably, in Andy Robertson. 

Mcginn and Tierney are in the excellent bracket, along with Mctominay .... They aren't world class in comparable terms 

Your opinion on Scotland is entirely your call. That's fair enough 

He has done a brilliant job with that team where other managers , multiple managers, have simply failed 

No manager in the last 25 years has had this much quality at their disposal and the majority of them coming into their prime. 

Robertson

Tierney

McGinn

McTominay 

Gilmour

Hickey

McGregor

All excellent players. We’ve got the captain of Bologna and captain of Leeds available tonight and they can’t get a sniff. 

Is Clarke going down the same route as Pa Broon and showing too much loyalty to his old guard?

Hope not, never ends well.

Martinez done the same with Belgium’s so called golden generation and took them one championship too far

HeartsandonlyHearts
28 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not as ridiculous as waiting for the team selection to decide whether to support your country or not!  Do you do that with Hearts too?

I said June. Clark has 7 months to save me.

15 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Got the be a cert for Germany though eh

Assuming fitness for me there are probably 21 certainties to be in the squad.

Gunn

Clark or Gordon (ironically this entirely depends on what happens at Hearts!)

Kelly

Robertson

Tierney

Hickey

Patterson

Hanley

Hendry

Porteous 

McKenna

McGregor

Gilmour

McTominay

McGinn

McLean

Ferguson 

Armstrong

Dykes 

Adams

Christie 

This leaves only 2 places. A lot will depend on how Clark wants to balance the squad. Given how he sets us up I can only see one forward/striker and right now I think Shankland has that spot. 

Cooper

Souttar

Taylor

Jack

Shankland

Brown

Nisbet

This does not take into account someone like Barnes becoming available - he would certainly be in the 23. Nor Doak having a fantastic 6 months for Liverpool and becoming impossible to leave out. The reduction back to 23 from 26 (post Covid) isn't helping Shanks and other's. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Luckies1874

9 minutes ago, Harry Palmer said:

Clarke reminds me of Craig Brown and some of his squad/team selections. 

Craig Brown who got us to Euro 96 and World Cup 98. 

Aye, I can see the resemblance too. Good thing after 20+ years of absolute hee haw.

7 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Is Clarke going down the same route as Pa Broon and showing too much loyalty to his old guard?

Who is his old guard?

7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

No manager in the last 25 years has had this much quality at their disposal and the majority of them coming into their prime. 

Robertson

Tierney

McGinn

McTominay 

Gilmour

Hickey

McGregor

All excellent players. We’ve got the captain of Bologna and captain of Leeds available tonight and they can’t get a sniff. 

That's fair comment 

Again though, in comparable terms, I just think that if you look at these players, compared to other national sides, they would probably argue for some of their players being in the same bracket. Then you have the next level where we aren't in the same equation 

The manager still has to gel, and get the side playing and competing. 

2 Euros back to back. League of Nations A team. 

I mean, would the likes of Strachan, Vogts, McLeish, levein etc done as well as Clarke and with this current team ? 

Personally, I don't think they would have, but that's just my own opinion 

Byyy The Light
25 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

I think he is Scotland's best striker too. But he's not our best forward. And I believe Clarke differentiates between the two things in the way he sets up the team. With all due respect to Lawrence, Clarke is unlikely to change the way we play, one that has brought us more 'success' than in over 20 years, for him. He is going to stick with what he thinks works best up front in respect to how we defend from the front and how that focal point contributes. This does not mean that Shanks can't be part of the squad next summer and he gave the chance of that a massive boost in Tbilisi but that will likely be his role in the squad, to come on when we are needing a goal.

👍🏼 how I see it 

He isn't getting much luck but he isn't covering himself in glory either. That's an incredibly poor goal to lose by defence and keeper alike. 

Edited by Luckies1874

How can that possibly be Zanders fault. Guy was 1 foot away and he did all he could to stop it. Defending is tragic

Edited by connlach

1 minute ago, Deviskan said:

Clark is nowhere near good enough I’m afraid.

Just now, flem said:

Zander did not do very well there. 

You can't blame him for that 😆