***Scotland vs Norway - Official Match Thread ***

JimmyCant

That lineup is shocking…what the hell is the point of playing Armstrong and McLean, when you have Ferguson on the bench??

I don’t mind the fact Shankland isn’t starting as he knows what he can do, he needs to see Brown and I’d imagine Shanks will come on for a good portion of the second half.

If he has any sense he would swap Brown and Shanks at HT, give them 45 minutes each.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Fozzyonthefence

• Mikey1874

• Deviskan

I personally think that this game would have been a great opportunity for Doig, Ferguson and Shankland to stake a claim ahead of Taylor, McLean and Armstrong who we already know all about. I’m not against Brown getting a shot as he’s barely had a chance either

I'm more baffled how Ferguson isn't starting actually.Just cause Shankland isn't a starter doesn't mean he won't go to the Euros.You need someone like Shankland on the bench a last roll of the dice that can get you that goal.

HeartsandonlyHearts

I’ll wait to see next June’s squad before I emphatically rip him apart and hope they get rag dolled in the Euros. Ridiculous team today.

22 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

I don’t get what Clarke sees in that little runt Taylor.  In the absence of Robertson and Tierney, I would have Kingsley in there way before that sleekit wee shite

Plays in a hooped jersey.  👀

34 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

That decision has basically told Shankland he has no future under Clarke.

I think it says the opposite. Let’s seee what the other guy can do then Shanks will be on, much earlier than Thursday. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

That lineup is shocking…what the hell is the point of playing Armstrong and McLean, when you have Ferguson on the bench??

I don’t mind the fact Shankland isn’t starting as he knows what he can do, he needs to see Brown and I’d imagine Shanks will come on for a good portion of the second half.

If he has any sense he would swap Brown and Shanks at HT, give them 45 minutes each.

Any sense? 🤔

Fozzyonthefence
12 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

What most are forgetting is that Brown was in the original squad whilst Shankland was added to the squad. Yet Clarke knew Shankland's ability to get a goal and brought him and not Brown on, on Thursday. Today when he's playing neither Dykes nor Adams he's having a look at Brown who like Shankland hasn't had many minutes. He's an option over Adams longer term and is more that sort of player. He runs the channels and works hard off the ball which given the way we play is critical to the team setup. Shankland will get on later. Totally ridiculous overreaction to the selection. 

Isn’t it time Clarke had a proper look at Shankland too rather than 5 minutes here and there expecting him to get a goal?  Personally I would have given both Brown and Shankland a full 90 minutes over the 2 games.   Two dead rubbers with Adams and Nisbet both injured was an ideal opportunity to give both a proper chance (Brown may get that chance tonight but Shankland won’t yet again).  

Clarke seems to prefer strikers that can work their arse off rather than score goals, although different opposition should suit different strikers. Doesn’t matter the opposition for Clarke though, he’ll always start a hard working but non goalscoring forward.  Shankland is the best finisher we have and Nisbet the only other natural goalscorer,  neither get a fair crack at it, especially Shankland. 

33 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

That decision has basically told Shankland he has no future under Clarke.  In what is a dead rubber that is a very negative lineup.  

Or has a future when he signs for Rangers, impressive performances and goals used to get you caps and add another zero to your transfer fee, maybe Rangers nobbled Clarke 😊😉

27 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Some of the posts :rofl:

Hearts fans thinking Clarke's Scotland plans revolve around Shankland is rather silly. Clearly he has big decisions to make with regards the Euro 2024 squad over the next few months and only a few games to look at things. Brown has like Shankland waited pretty patiently. Clark doesn't see Shankland as a forward good enough to lead the line given the way he sets the team up. That's not the same as not rating him nor does it mean that there isn't a place for him and that he can't contribute like he did in Georgia, just that he wants different qualities starting matches. 

I'm no criticising Clarke, but that decision is baffling to say the least. This ain't maroon tinted specs either ... There is even hibbies and septic affiliated folk saying he should start.

I mean, I haven't heard one football pundit say anyone should start this football match bar Shankland. Not everyone can be wrong, surely ?

When the whole of Scotland is crying out for one player to start then obviously, putting personal preferences to one side, that's suggestive that everyone thinks this is our main threat. You mentioned leading the line - he should be giving him a chance at least to do it 

Sorry mate. Your entities to your opinion, of course, but it's a mental decision. Nothing to do with Hearts .... All to do with giving what looks like our main goal threat up front a proper chance .....if our hopes for the Euros are hinging on Jacob brown then we are probably best just skipping the tournament ...that's how it feels anyway 

5 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

I think it says the opposite. Let’s seee what the other guy can do then Shanks will be on, much earlier than Thursday. 

Totally agree. He knows Shanks is a poacher and can score us a goal. He is not going to be a starter in Euro 2024 however much some of the fans on here want that to be the case. He doesn't play the role Clarke needs for the way he sets the team up. He needs to see if Brown is capable of being better than Dykes / Adams. 

I'm surprised that Ferguson isn't starting tonight purely because he would appear to be making strides as a player and is up against a number of very good players to get a game for us. This would have seemed an obvious game to start him.

Edited by Luckies1874

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

I’ll wait to see next June’s squad before I emphatically rip him apart and hope they get rag dolled in the Euros. Ridiculous team today.

Not as ridiculous as waiting for the team selection to decide whether to support your country or not!  Do you do that with Hearts too?

alicante jambo

Thats a fecking joke. No wonder scottish fans feel disjointed with the batiknal team ffs. Jacob brown ffs whats he done? Nowt nothing. That clown taylor aswell got the pish took out him big time in georgia too. Hopefully our captain gets on maybe grab a goal.

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Totally agree. He knows Shanks is a poacher and can score us a goal. He is not going to be a starter in Euro 2024 however much some of the fans on here want that to be the case. He doesn't;t play the role Clarke needs for the way he set the team up. He needs to see if Brown is capable of being better than Dykes / Adams. 

I'm surprised that Ferguson isn't starting tonight purely because he would appear to be making strides as a player and is up against a number of very good players to get a game for us. This would have seemed an obvious game to start him.

👍 He knows exactly what Shankland brings and that’s why he’ll be taking his 28 year old goal machine to Germany. 

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Isn’t it time Clarke had a proper look at Shankland too rather than 5 minutes here and there expecting him to get a goal?  Personally I would have given both Brown and Shankland a full 90 minutes over the 2 games.   Two dead rubbers with Adams and Nisbet both injured was an ideal opportunity to give both a proper chance (Brown may get that chance tonight but Shankland won’t yet again).  

Clarke seems to prefer strikers that can work their arse off rather than score goals, although different opposition should suit different strikers. Doesn’t matter the opposition for Clarke though, he’ll always start a hard working but non goalscoring forward.  Shankland is the best finisher we have and Nisbet the only other natural goalscorer,  neither get a fair crack at it, especially Shankland. 

A reasonable argument. I just think Brown needs this start given the absences and he was in the original squad. Let's see how he gets on. Everyone is aware of Shankland's positives and negatives. He won't be starting game 1 at the Euro's given the way Clarkes sets us up - and nobody should be doubting him right now. 

Go for it 1308
37 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Hearts fans thinking Clarke's Scotland plans revolve around Shankland is rather silly. Clearly he has big decisions to make with regards the Euro 2024 squad over the next few months and only a few games to look at things. Brown has like Shankland waited pretty patiently. Clark doesn't see Shankland as a forward good enough to lead the line given the way he sets the team up. That's not the same as not rating him nor does it mean that there isn't a place for him and that he can't contribute like he did in Georgia, just that he wants different qualities starting matches. 

Are you really that stupid? He scores goals ffs!

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, PaddysBar said:

👍 He knows exactly what Shankland brings and that’s why he’ll be taking his 28 year old goal machine to Germany. 

Why did he originally leave him out the squad for this double header then?  And that was with Nisbet injured who Clarke always has ahead of Shankland in the pecking order.  He may or may not make the plane to Germany but doubt he’ll get any minutes, certainly no starts. 

5 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

I'm no criticising Clarke, but that decision is baffling to say the least. This ain't maroon tinted specs either ... There is even hibbies and septic affiliated folk saying he should start.

I mean, I haven't heard one football pundit say anyone should start this football match bar Shankland. Not everyone can be wrong, surely ?

When the whole of Scotland is crying out for one player to start then obviously, putting personal preferences to one side, that's suggestive that everyone thinks this is our main threat. You mentioned leading the line - he should be giving him a chance at least to do it 

Sorry mate. Your entities to your opinion, of course, but it's a mental decision. Nothing to do with Hearts .... All to do with giving what looks like our main goal threat up front a proper chance .....if our hopes for the Euros are hinging on Jacob brown then we are probably best just skipping the tournament ...that's how it feels anyway 

Totally reasonable post with lots of sensible points 👍

Just think it's a total overreaction by some. Shankland will get minutes here. Brown is getting minutes from the start, he's been patient too and is starting regularly in the EPL. Mountain out of a molehill. 

Everyone knows shankland should be starting however Clarke is a stubborn b4stard and plays the I'm not going to be told who to play card all the time.

2 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Are you really that stupid? He scores goals ffs!

Clearly you can't read properly. Stupid. 

Gutted Shanks isn’t on from the start.

but it’s a dead rubber. The manager obvs wanting to try other options as he / and we all Know what Shankland brings.

hopefully Shankland comes on second half, bags a goal or two, and confirms what Clark knows. 

16 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Odd - but then you can't really criticise Steve Clark given the job he's done.  He is very loyal to his players.  I still think we will see Shankland get a run out from the bench.

You absolutely can criticise him. I’m no massive Scotland fan, in fact I’d be delighted if they scrapped international football altogether. However, I’m no having this Clarke the messiah chat. He can set a team up to be hard to beat but let’s not pretend he’s a miracle worker. He has the best pool of Scotland players in decades. World class players,  complimented by some very very good ones. How good would he be if he had  Stephen Crainey instead of Andy Robertson or Nigel Quashie instead of John McGinn? He’d be labelled shit the same as the rest of them.

3 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Thats a fecking joke. No wonder scottish fans feel disjointed with the batiknal team ffs. Jacob brown ffs whats he done? Nowt nothing. That clown taylor aswell got the pish took out him big time in georgia too. Hopefully our captain gets on maybe grab a goal.

Tartan army, god bless them, follow and support the team, no matter who plays. They will do that tonight as well, and so should we all, hopefully get a good result and a good send off.

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Totally reasonable post with lots of sensible points 👍

Just think it's a total overreaction by some. Shankland will get minutes here. Brown is getting minutes from the start, he's been patient too and is starting regularly in the EPL. Mountain out of a molehill. 

I think even most non Hearts fans were expecting Shanks to start tonight. Even  Charlie Mulgrew (who has been in Scotland squads with him) saying he is Scotland’s best striker.  

Malinga the Swinga

As stated on Radio Scotland, Brown is a Clarke player and Shankland isn't. When you examine it, Brown fits in exactly to the forward type preferred by our manager as in he doesn't score very many goals.

Shankland scores goals and Clarke doesn't like centre forwards who score goals.

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Why did he originally leave him out the squad for this double header then?  And that was with Nisbet injured who Clarke always has ahead of Shankland in the pecking order.  He may or may not make the plane to Germany but doubt he’ll get any minutes, certainly no starts. 

just my opinion mate. Plus he’d get absolutely slaughtered if he didn’t take him and we struggle for goals next summer. 

If Shanks keeps scoring, he’s in the squad. 

Clarke has done an amazing job but his biggest error came in euro 20. Playing Marshall ahead of CG. Don’t think he’ll make a similar mistake. 

That's a shocker not giving Shankland a start. Honestly what does he need to do! Jacob Brown is always around the squad and has his good bit of game time but I can't remember anything he has done.

alicante jambo
Just now, sac said:

Tartan army, god bless them, follow and support the team, no matter who plays. They will do that tonight as well, and so should we all, hopefully get a good result and a good send off.

Just frustrating sac. Shankland not getting in that team will be thinking a move will give him a better chance of going to germany. Jacob brown ffs thats a joke. Regards the tartan army aye deffo big pats on the back to them. Hampden will be packed tonight. Frustrating from a jambos point of view.

Go for it 1308
2 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

This! A lot of folk on here are are forgetting that shanks only got a place on this double header because Adam was injured. Would Shanks have been considered otherwise  if Adam was fit? Clarke is a prick

1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Would’ve liked to see Shanks and Ferguson start. 

Having watched a few Italian games Ferguson not getting a sniff is a puzzler. 

After a few minutes thought, I’m thinking this is Jacob Brown’s last throw of the dice. He’s starting, at home, in front of a full house and in a party mood, against a considerably weakened Norway team that have nothing to play for. The manager has already said in midweek when we needed a goal scorer, he turned to Shanks not Jacob Brown. Therefore, I’m thinking Brown could only go to the Euros as an understudy to Dykes. 

If he doesn’t do the business tonight, then I think you can safely say he’s toast. To be honest, I’ve watched him a few times and he’s never ever impressed me in any way, so let’s see what he does. I’m not expecting much from him. 

2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

You absolutely can criticise him. I’m no massive Scotland fan, in fact I’d be delighted if they scrapped international football altogether. However, I’m no having this Clarke the messiah chat. He can set a team up to be hard to beat but let’s not pretend he’s a miracle worker. He has the best pool of Scotland players in decades. World class players,  complimented by some very very good ones. How good would he be if he had  Stephen Crainey instead of Andy Robertson or Nigel Quashie instead of John McGinn? He’d be labelled shit the same as the rest of them.

As much as I think he has got the shanks/Jacob call completely wrong, not having this either 

World class players ? We have one, arguably, in Andy Robertson. 

Mcginn and Tierney are in the excellent bracket, along with Mctominay .... They aren't world class in comparable terms 

Your opinion on Scotland is entirely your call. That's fair enough 

He has done a brilliant job with that team where other managers , multiple managers, have simply failed 

1 minute ago, alicante jambo said:

Just frustrating sac. Shankland not getting in that team will be thinking a move will give him a better chance of going to germany. Jacob brown ffs thats a joke. Regards the tartan army aye deffo big pats on the back to them. Hampden will be packed tonight. Frustrating from a jambos point of view.

I’m sure Clarke will explain his selections, given he has made four changes

39 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

I don’t get what Clarke sees in that little runt Taylor.  In the absence of Robertson and Tierney, I would have Kingsley in there way before that sleekit wee shite

Marooooon Tinted Specs 🤤

43 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Meaningless game, I reckon he just wants a look at Brown.

That said, if he's got some bonkers stuff up his sleeve like the last Euros then Clarke can do one 😂

Surprised David Marshall's not still in goals, even post international retirement. 

He did save a penalty once after all. 

Personally hope Brown scores, and has a good game, the more players we have doing a job, the better...

Still want to see Shankland on,  for at least 30 minutes.

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think even most non Hearts fans were expecting Shanks to start tonight. Even  Charlie Mulgrew (who has been in Scotland squads with him) saying he is Scotland’s best striker.  

I think he is Scotland's best striker too. But he's not our best forward. And I believe Clarke differentiates between the two things in the way he sets up the team. With all due respect to Lawrence, Clarke is unlikely to change the way we play, one that has brought us more 'success' than in over 20 years, for him. He is going to stick with what he thinks works best up front in respect to how we defend from the front and how that focal point contributes. This does not mean that Shanks can't be part of the squad next summer and he gave the chance of that a massive boost in Tbilisi but that will likely be his role in the squad, to come on when we are needing a goal.

48 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

For too sensible for this place.

48 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Far too sensible for this place.

3 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Shanks just need to keep scoring for Hearts. That will get him to the Euros.