Give Naismith time, what he is trying to achieve, our identity

Bongo 1874

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

The downside would be a struggle or fail to make top 6.  We tried last season, very late on, to bring a manager in to get us third and he went very close. Maybe we shouldn’t wait so long. Think there’s a huge downside to letting the season play out especially if there’s no improvement in form and results by Xmas.  Hopefully the recent signs of progress pick up speed soon. 

TBH you're correct - I'm just apathetically saying that the different between 4th and 6/7th is pretty negligible, the only prize is 3rd because of the European group stage prize money. 

For me, if we're not achieving that, then the season is a bust. Getting a wee kick about with some other European teams before being ultimately dumped out in a similar manner to PAOK, doesn't really interest me. 3rd or bust. 

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Bender

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, OTT said:

I mean there is no downside to letting the season play out - its unlikely an incoming manager would be able to turn things around quickly enough to get us 3rd if we needed to sack him - as 3rd is the only way to ensure European group stage football as Scottish teams are utterly incapable of winning enough of the qualifiers. 

But if he fails to achieve 3rd, then there needs to be a discussion. 

There should be discussion all the way through the season, in fact ive got no doubts at all that there are.

I dont want to see a manager hung out to dry by the staff working above him and if there's no communication thats exactly what will happen, the staff working above him want exactly what we all want incidentally.

A sacking culture is not how i want the club to progress, but im a business owner and i need to build relationships and trust to succeed, so my view will ive no doubt be in the minority.

I do see others point of view on this though.

3rd being the holygrail shouldn't be the extent of our aspirations either. Thats short sightedness imo.

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

TBH you're correct - I'm just apathetically saying that the different between 4th and 6/7th is pretty negligible, the only prize is 3rd because of the European group stage prize money. 

For me, if we're not achieving that, then the season is a bust. Getting a wee kick about with some other European teams before being ultimately dumped out in a similar manner to PAOK, doesn't really interest me. 3rd or bust. 

Diff between 4th and 6th is two full house euro games as well as tv money and uefa prizemoney.  Not to be sniffed at.  Probably close to £750k  income. 

Just now, Bull's-eye said:

There should be discussion all the way through the season, in fact ive got no doubts at all that there are.

I dont want to see a manager hung out to dry by the staff working above him and if there's no communication thats exactly what will happen, the staff working above him want exactly what we all want incidentally.

A sacking culture is not how i want the club to progress, but im a business owner and i need to build relationships and trust to succeed, so my view will ive no doubt be in the minority.

I do see others point of view on this though.

3rd being the holygrail shouldn't be the extent of our aspirations either. Thats short sightedness imo.

Completely agree re sacking culture- managerial appointments will end up becoming more costly as agents get wise to their clients being not likely to get sufficient time. 

Key for me is getting the appointments right in the first place, and personally I have deep reservations about Naismith. Considering the prize at stake it seems a huge unnecessary risk to go with someone with so little experience. 

No, 3rd shouldn't be the limit of our aspirations, but we need to keep hitting 3rd to keep that feeling of moving forward. The likelihood of finishing 2nd or even 1st without massive external investment is tiny. Short-medium term aim needs to build breathing room between ourselves and Aberdeen/Hibs. Make it so finishing 3rd is a bigger stretch for them than it is us whilst constantly investing in the club infrastructure so we're always moving forward and not standing still. 

On 17/10/2023 at 08:11, TheBigO said:

Lowry was spent. Beni coming on, I defy anyone who didn't think "magic, game's done".

Sorry mate, not me. I turned to the guy sitting next to me and said "wtf is he doing" when Lowry went off for Beni. There were 30 minutes or so to go, we had them and the game in the palm of our hand. It was the wrong change, at the wrong time. Any one of Grant or Boyce coming on for Lowry would have been better IMHO. I'm sure Naisy knows it too, but quite rightly hes not gonna throw himself or Beni under a bus. The momentum changed as soon as the sub was made. It took us a short time to settle again and then we finished the game well, including Beni. But the damage was already done unfortunately. Switching Toby to CB didn't help either when Offiah could easily have went straight to CB. 

Naisy will learn. He's gonna make mistakes. In previous games his substitutions were inspired, leading to us getting a result. On this occasion he fekd up, end of! 

However i'm genuinely excited about how he wants the team to play and how we will look with a full squad fit and available. Looking forward to Sunday. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Completely agree re sacking culture- managerial appointments will end up becoming more costly as agents get wise to their clients being not likely to get sufficient time. 

Key for me is getting the appointments right in the first place, and personally I have deep reservations about Naismith. Considering the prize at stake it seems a huge unnecessary risk to go with someone with so little experience. 

No, 3rd shouldn't be the limit of our aspirations, but we need to keep hitting 3rd to keep that feeling of moving forward. The likelihood of finishing 2nd or even 1st without massive external investment is tiny. Short-medium term aim needs to build breathing room between ourselves and Aberdeen/Hibs. Make it so finishing 3rd is a bigger stretch for them than it is us whilst constantly investing in the club infrastructure so we're always moving forward and not standing still. 

Sensible posting.

I actually believe 2 or above is achievable, a massive slice of luck, something ive never really seen us getting in all my years supporting Hearts, is required and all the dominoes have to fall in the correct direction but its not an impossibility in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Bender said:

Wow. That is quite something. I know this place has a reputation for people missing the point others are trying to make, but I didn't think it was this bad.

There are people within the hierarchy at Tynecastle who appointed Cathro, a rookie manager who had no business being anywhere near a job like this on his first (and only) go. They then appointed a man nobody wanted in Craig Levein. They then backed him for far too long, when anyone with eyes could see how poorly the team were doing between November 2018 and the cup final in 2019. They allowed him to hang around the club while his replacement tried to get us out of a relegation dogfight. A board who disrespected a cup winning manager by not even giving him the courtesy of a return call when he applied for the job again.

They made the right call in bringing Neilson back and then letting him go when he needed to be.

Now we're back to square one. Another rookie manager, except this time we had to be all sneaky about it because he doesn't have the correct qualifications. All that after 2 wins from 7 games. 2 of which you can rightfully claim were down to daft sendings off, but still only 2 from 7. Was he really the better option than any of the others who applied? I doubt it.

Why is it, when we're being told the club is in the best position it's ever been off the field, that we've been entirely unsuccessful at translating that onto the pitch bar two seasons out of the last ten (one of which didn't have Rangers or Hibs to compete against)?

Wow. That is quite something. I know this place has a reputation for people not answering questions, but I didn't think it was this bad.

I'll try again. What would restructuring the board do for the club?

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

Wow. That is quite something. I know this place has a reputation for people not answering questions, but I didn't think it was this bad.

I'll try again. What would restructuring the board do for the club?

If you took the time to actually read the thread, you'll see I've already answered that question. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Bender said:

If you took the time to actually read the thread, you'll see I've already answered that question. Thanks.

sorry - not seeing it - unless I need to go back further than two pages.

I see your comments criticising appointments back to Levein - is that it?

if not - be kind and enlighten me pls

11 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

sorry - not seeing it - unless I need to go back further than two pages.

I see your comments criticising appointments back to Levein - is that it?

if not - be kind and enlighten me pls

A fresh perspective. A hint of ambition beyond hiring the B Team coach as manager despite not having the right qualifications. Allow a less divisive figure to lead the club. Bring in some individuals who haven't overseen some significant failures that have set the club back.

There's four reasons why I think we should think about a restructure of the board. 

Anyone that thought when we got Naismith as a player and did not think long term he would have a path into coaching at the club for his future was burying their head in the sand.

Ok it was maybe a a bit quicker than anticipated due to RN's tactics (especially away from home and against Sevco) and his mind numbing ,never his fault reason for his negativity and blind loyalty to certain players and never to trust players in the academy.  

I am prepared to give Naismith the season to see what he can do, I am hopeful he will move us forward, starting on Sunday.

8 hours ago, Bender said:

A fresh perspective. A hint of ambition beyond hiring the B Team coach as manager despite not having the right qualifications. Allow a less divisive figure to lead the club. Bring in some individuals who haven't overseen some significant failures that have set the club back.

There's four reasons why I think we should think about a restructure of the board. 

Thank you.

to counter.

hiring the b team manager. Has this ever been done? This time it is Naismith - an international and EPL player - albeit untried at manager level

Someone less divisive. Impossible- at almost any club. Who would be less divisive at hearts?

Bring  in someone who hasn’t seen someone to set the club back. 

that’s a tough gig. We need a board who can do this? Would love to know who…?

On 19/10/2023 at 09:28, Nookie Bear said:

Bongo's greatest achievement is to make me back Neilson 😄

2 things:

I don't understand why Joe's apparent ineptitude is not taken into account when we consider Neilson's struggles.

and...

If Naismith feels constricted or unable to do his job properly then why does he not quit?

I didn't know I had that effect on people 🤣. Sensible answer? Because Hearts are a big club, and managed properly and run properly can go far 😀.

On 19/10/2023 at 09:35, Sooks said:

Bongo rated Savage when Neilson was in charge :lol: 

That's correct, and now I think we can get better with a DOF like Takis Fyssas, who matches our managers ambitions, and mindset with both being winners, in the game. That's no disrespect to Joe.

On 19/10/2023 at 17:13, colinmorewasgash said:

We get told last season we have made more money last season  due to europe plus finishing 3rd and foh money than ever before. Then get told cause we finished 4th not 3rd we dont have the money now because we were relying on 3rd, so if we were relying on a few extra games to help us and our benefactors and foh bailing us out finamcially then what are they doing with money they make. Its not on expensive signings.

The board and club officials in my opinion, aren't totally transparent with fans,the best people to ask for this info is the likes of @Footballfirst  @davemclarenthey are well clued up in these sort of things 👍

On 19/10/2023 at 17:47, Bazzas right boot said:

Gordon and Halkett were out last season plus we  never had Kent.

Not once did you use them or injuries as mitigation for the previous manager. 

You also never indicated our previous manager needed a new DOF.

You backing for this manger reads like a different poster from the one moaning about the previous one for over a year.

I prefer this Bongo, but is does Indicate that the orevious manager pissed in your chips at some point. 

Gordon and Halkett were both out yes both not at the start of the season,the injuries happened midway if i remember correctly, I could be wrong on that. We conceded goals under Neilson, I think currently we are joint best with celtic on goals conceded this season,again I could be wrong on that 👍.

On 20/10/2023 at 10:53, Sooks said:

That is exactly how it reads . Last season Every thing was in place to challenge the old firm according to him , and it was just Neilson and a lack of belief holding us back . Naismith was going to come in and get us playing football on the front foot and that would take us to the next level . Now that has been proven to be the nonsense everyone knew it to be , it is Savage who is holding us back

Completely bonkers 

Last season was a chance to gain a grip over Aberdeen and Hibs, and put ourselves ahead of them,we blew it under Neilson,you don't expect me to blame Savage for that? Neilson didn't know what formation to play nevermind his starting 11,he had Barry Mckay playing centre mid along with Garang Kuol. Enough said,but I'll go on,when Naismith came in he identified what was wrong with us immediately? We had no identity, this was outrageous considering the size of club we are,and the fact Neilson was in charge for 2.5 years,and still most fans didn't get what he was trying to achieve,now throw in the results against Alloa,Brora,The list goes on,he was heralded for beating St Mirren, while a certain German was mocked because he didn't,personally I find it quite ironic the team he got sacked against was? St Mirren the exact same team the Robbie lovers mocked the unkempt German for,you reap what you sow? Maybe that's what  deserved to happen when he was in talks with the club despite the German being manager ? Just like Beale turning up at Ibrox when Gio was still boss ? Snakey thing to do really.

On 19/10/2023 at 17:00, Bazzas right boot said:

You were a Savage fan under Bob, never considered Injuries and ultimately it was Bobs fault we were shite and you wanted him gone,  despite never being out the top 4 and 3rd place finishes under his belt.

You were all about belief and the next level ( challenging the OF), Bob was holding us back, etc now its about giving Naismith time just so we can match what Bob achieved!

I actually think giving Naismith time is best, but **** me you haven't half changed your complete out look.

It's beyond incredible the change.

I backed Savage and believe he has done a good job,now is the time to evolve as a club, and get someone new that will further expand us as a club.

Bring home Takis.

Edited by Bongo 1874

pettigrewsstylist
15 hours ago, Jamdub said:

Anyone that thought when we got Naismith as a player and did not think long term he would have a path into coaching at the club for his future was burying their head in the sand.

Ok it was maybe a a bit quicker than anticipated due to RN's tactics (especially away from home and against Sevco) and his mind numbing ,never his fault reason for his negativity and blind loyalty to certain players and never to trust players in the academy.  

I am prepared to give Naismith the season to see what he can do, I am hopeful he will move us forward, starting on Sunday.

I would be amazed if it didnt feature in his decision to make it permanent right back then. I think that once you make decision to sack RN and give SN gig your have backed yourself into a corner as to wether you give him it permanent or he walks. Couldnt ever see him going back to B team gig.

Big risk, balls are still rolling.

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I didn't know I had that effect on people 🤣. Sensible answer? Because Hearts are a big club, and managed properly and run properly can go far 😀.

That's correct, and now I think we can get better with a DOF like Takis Fyssas, who matches our managers ambitions, and mindset with both being winners, in the game. That's no disrespect to Joe.

The board and club officials in my opinion, aren't totally transparent with fans,the best people to ask for this info is the likes of @Footballfirst  @davemclarenthey are well clued up in these sort of things 👍

Gordon and Halkett were both out yes both not at the start of the season,the injuries happened midway if i remember correctly, I could be wrong on that. We conceded goals under Neilson, I think currently we are joint best with celtic on goals conceded this season,again I could be wrong on that 👍.

Last season was a chance to gain a grip over Aberdeen and Hibs, and put ourselves ahead of them,we blew it under Neilson,you don't expect me to blame Savage for that? Neilson didn't know what formation to play nevermind his starting 11,he had Barry Mckay playing centre mid along with Garang Kuol. Enough said,but I'll go on,when Naismith came in he identified what was wrong with us immediately? We had no identity, this was outrageous considering the size of club we are,and the fact Neilson was in charge for 2.5 years,and still most fans didn't get what he was trying to achieve,now throw in the results against Alloa,Brora,The list goes on,he was heralded for beating St Mirren, while a certain German was mocked because he didn't,personally I find it quite ironic the team he got sacked against was? St Mirren the exact same team the Robbie lovers mocked the unkempt German for,you reap what you sow? Maybe that's what  deserved to happen when he was in talks with the club despite the German being manager ? Just like Beale turning up at Ibrox when Gio was still boss ? Snakey thing to do really.

I backed Savage and believe he has done a good job,now is the time to evolve as a club, and get someone new that will further expand us as a club.

Bring home Takis.

Stendel.....

Now some shite about Takis to expand us....

Regarding our defence,Kent has made a huge difference. He wasn't here last season. 

43 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Stendel.....

Regarding our defence,Kent has made a huge difference. He wasn't here last season. 

Yes Takis Fyssas is a step up on Joe in my opinion. 

You say Kent,but let's see how Gordon does under Naismith.

Still not convinced by Naismith tbh, I'm still not sure what we are trying to do at times and or what he wants us to do? would give him till around Xmas to see where we are and if the football improves etc, but for me we should be 3rd by now, especially with the fixtures that we have had so far and only two European ties to contend with.

Jury still out for me, hopefully with Halkett and Gordon coming back, results should hopefully improve from November onwards.

32 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Still not convinced by Naismith tbh, I'm still not sure what we are trying to do at times and or what he wants us to do? would give him till around Xmas to see where we are and if the football improves etc, but for me we should be 3rd by now, especially with the fixtures that we have had so far and only two European ties to contend with.

Jury still out for me, hopefully with Halkett and Gordon coming back, results should hopefully improve from November onwards.

I don’t think anybody can truthfully say they’re convinced by Naismith. Things have improved a bit lately but it’s wait and see time for me. We’ve had quite good fixtures and not really capitalised on them is the bottom line. 

It's been pretty average in all honesty. Was trying to be optimistic based on the limited spells at the end of last season when we kept.11 players on the park that we would look to play on the front foot/positive.

So far it's looked fairly disjointed. The forward players don't seem to be on the same wavelength. 7 goals in 8 league games against the teams we have played is poor fair.

Next 2 games there's a strong possibility we will end up with 0 points. The league table will look fairly mediocre if that is the case. 

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Stendel.....

I don’t think Takis could be more home than he already is. 

is this going to be the new Moldë obsession?

Attack the club because they can’t/have no reason to pry away someone from their national team set-up to come back to the SPL?

The top teams in Greece have squads valued 4-8 times ours and play regular champions league football. 

I think if he wanted a club gig, this would be more likely. 

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, CMc said:

Attack the club because they can’t/have no reason to pry away someone from their national team set-up to come back to the SPL?

The top teams in Greece have squads valued 4-8 times ours and play regular champions league football. 

Looks like it.

Savage was backing Bob, injuries didnae matter, we had loads o money and Bob was holding us back.

Bob gets booted, Bongo man's fantasy of steam rolling teams never materlises and we have a rocky start,  Savage is to blame, were skint, injuries are hurting us, we need to expand and Takis would do that.

Oh aye,  and Stendel.

It's a horror show, but amusing.

29 minutes ago, CMc said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/takis-fyssas-wants-to-return-to-hearts-in-a-new-role-as-greek-explains-talks-to-sign-tynecastle-player-3697428&ved=2ahUKEwj7tui9tYeCAxUZh_0HHXs2Au4Q2LwJegQIGRAB&usg=AOvVaw3bbnal9tflwz2bcYOnvGcy

In my opinion, Hearts can do better. They need a push and some nice ideas. You cannot have success only with money. I believe they are in a good way.

“I think I have my ideas about football. I have worked as a technical director since 2008, either with the national team or with Panathinaikos. If I can say this now, it is my dream to come to Edinburgh again and work for Hearts because I believe this team can do better.”

Takis Fyssas ^

Edited by Bongo 1874

I see Naismith is quoted in the EEN yesterday about out of contract at the end of the season players saying he wants to keep them all.

Hardly the words of someone who feels they haven't been backed by the Board, CEO or DOF in building a squad. Sure he will want some additions, but as with this summer, all the signs are that Naismith is relatively happy with the squad and isn't looking for major changes, instead believing he can hit our performance goals with this squad. I'm pleased about that. It is a sign that he thinks he already has the tools to be doing better than he is at the moment.

If he loses the 2 Rangers games (likely) and fails to beat Livingston at home a week on Wednesday ie a draw is unacceptable, given after today we will have 5pts form 15 at Tynecastle, then he should be sacked and every hanger on should be gone too. 

Give him time. **** that. 

3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Id like to see them all gone now. It's just boring and we are only 9 games in.

Majority of fans knew this  

It’s the exact same faces in the dug out. 

nothing was going to change  

it’s not going to work 

Pretty obvious we're going nowhere under Naismth, there's hardly been any signs of things improving.

Don't even need to analyse that deeply.

Get him out

I think Naismith falls into that category of guys you think would be a great manager but just aren't. See Duncan Ferguson. 

Our coaching team feels interim still tbh. Like a ramshackle bunch thrown together, rather than a clear team. 

He's not going to be judged on results against the OF, but an inability to approach these games with any tactical sense will all but put to rest any aspirations of success in the cups. 

9 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Id like to see them all gone now. It's just boring and we are only 9 games in.

Tynie like a morgue too. So fed up of watching this shite. A completely unserious football club which just continually self harms. 

Ministryofdad

Need shot asap. 

Need shot of everyone. 

Need a new owner. 

New bkardroom

An actual manager. A leader on the park. 

A real strong center half or midfielder. 

And someone who can cross and nod afraid to have a shot. 

If Naismith's identity for us is weak and rubbish... He's doing a great job

This is worse than what it ever was under Neilson... We are back to the Cathro days. 

Naismith can pack a bag and **** off after the final whistle today. He is absolutely hopeless and has regressed us to far worse than what Neilson was getting stick for. 

We're playing a player who scored 30 goals last season as a winger or a midfielder, not getting any service to the forwards, and spend more time passing the ball back to Clark than we do getting it forward.  Against the smaller teams, it's a chance to reorganise and get going again, but against a team like Celtic, all it does is give them a chance to rush forward and press us high.  We inevitably punt the ball forward and lose it, and suddenly there are 8 Celtic players in our half waiting for it.  

One thing that has been entirely noticeable with Naismiths tactics is the absolute unwillingness to defend the wings. Our defenders are all in the box, meaning any team can waltz down the wings without ever getting pressured. They then are free to pick out a cross which we are hopeless at defending. It's not until the cross is about to come in that someone finally thinks about pushing out wide, which is far too late. 

We play high possession football without any end product, and that is entirely on the tactic of playing forwards in midfield. 

The most important thing about playing the Old Firm is that we keep it tight for the first half, and especially in the first 10 or 20 minutes. We were 2-0 down with barely a quarter of the game gone. 

Stop this ****ing experiment now, and get someone in who has the ability to set the team up to actually do something with the ball. 

Continuing to back Stendel after an absolute disaster than ended in relegation, and now shouts for Takis ****ing Fyssas to come in. 

Clueless. Clueless beyond belief. 

Looking forward to whatever completely irrelevant and pointless stat Bongo uses today to convince us that fraud’s actually Guardiola in disguise. 

50 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Continuing to back Stendel after an absolute disaster than ended in relegation, and now shouts for Takis ****ing Fyssas to come in. 

Clueless. Clueless beyond belief. 

Yeah and still do.

33 minutes ago, Bender said:

Looking forward to whatever completely irrelevant and pointless stat Bongo uses today to convince us that fraud’s actually Guardiola in disguise. 

No excuses, well beaten well off it ,I don't hide and hold my hands up.

I can feel the life draining from me with this coaching team in place. God knows how ST holders and the lads who go away feel, without mentioning the players. They look lost and depressed.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no Identity  

Job too big for him and current management team.  

He was at B team , he got offered it, was  never going to turn it down.  

The experiment hasn’t worked and won’t work. 

End it now . There is no sign of any improvement since he’s got the gig. 

2 minutes ago, Scott980612 said:

There is no Identity  

Job too big for him and current management team.  

He was at B team , he got offered it, was  never going to turn it down.  

The experiment hasn’t worked and won’t work. 

End it now . There is no sign of any improvement since he’s got the gig. 

People running the club don't have the minerals to make such decisions.