Give Naismith time, what he is trying to achieve, our identity

Bongo 1874

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Making stuff up makes a mockery of any point you’re trying to make.  I doubt anyone as said everything is rosey or they are losing their shit over the slightest criticism. Unless you have examples of course ? 

Some people quite rightly imo defend the club they support against utter shite or unwarranted criticism that gets posted. 3rd is our target, acknowledging that with praise doesn’t mean you think everything is rosey. Plenty room for improvement but ffs some poster could take minute to acknowledge the good things and improvements being made. 

Not making anything up, it’s all over pretty much every thread (it’s against forum rules to refer to posters not in a specific thread by the way so no I won’t quote you examples as you’re probably the type who would report me but feel free to read over them).  Plenty delicate little flowers who post tens of thousands of posts and can’t stand the slightest bit of even warranted criticism, so I’m not believing you don’t know who they are.  You just seem to enjoy coming on here looking for an argument!  Enjoy your weekend, I can’t be arsed. 

I’m firmly behind Naismith by the way and was sticking up for him when all the idiots wanted him sacked before you start accusing me otherwise. 

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• Bender

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not making anything up, it’s all over pretty much every thread (it’s against forum rules to refer to posters not in a specific thread by the way so no I won’t quote you examples as you’re probably the type who would report me but feel free to read over them).  Plenty delicate little flowers who post tens of thousands of posts and can’t stand the slightest bit of even warranted criticism, so I’m not believing you don’t know who they are.  You just seem to enjoy coming on here looking for an argument!  Enjoy your weekend, I can’t be arsed. 

I’m firmly behind Naismith by the way and was sticking up for him when all the idiots wanted him sacked before you start accusing me otherwise. 

If you’re making it up you’re certainly over exaggerating what you claim. If it is all over the place I’m pretty sure it would be easy enough to find one that won’t break the runes. I suspect won’t though. 😂

Not accusing you of anything else Fossy. 👍

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

If Steven Naismith is still in the dugout twelve months from now, I suspect the Hearts team we will be watching then will bear little resemblance to the current iteration. 

It is clear that coming into the job he wanted to play with a back four. He compromised on this when things were not going well and it likely saved his job. Results picked up once we switched to a back three. We all have our ideals though and it's probably reasonable to assume that playing with a back four is where he wants to go with things in the long run. 

That could have all sorts of implications for what we do in the summer. It means a right back will have to be signed. It could mean Kye Rowles leaving(has never looked convincing in a back four for us). It will mean changes in midfield. 

I don't think this low scoring, stingey at the back, version of Hearts is Steven Naismith's vision for us. It certainly doesn't tie in with what he said when he first got the job. It is proving effective however and it has bought him time. Time was a luxury he appeared to be fast running out of at one point. 

It'll be interesting to see where things go from here. 

That’s a good summary, I think you’re spot on. I don’t think many of us saw us getting to 3rd place with the best defence outside the OF but struggling to create good chances and score goals.  It has given a good platform though to hopefully kick on and play more the expansive, attacking football we were promised / expected.  

Would be interesting to know how close SN was to getting the sack. He has clearly bought himself a lot of time now so hopefully the improvements that he wants to see as well as us will follow. 

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

If you’re making it up you’re certainly over exaggerating what you claim. If it is all over the place I’m pretty sure it would be easy enough to find one that won’t break the runes. I suspect won’t though. 😂

Not accusing you of anything else Fossy. 👍

Dazo, there’s literally posters on every thread on the defensive, sticking up for the club or a player over the slightest criticism no matter how justified it is.  It would be astonishing if you haven’t noticed this!  Some are absolute roasters or trolls but most are just normal Hearts fans discussing their concerns / observations and making valid points. 

5 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

That’s a good summary, I think you’re spot on. I don’t think many of us saw us getting to 3rd place with the best defence outside the OF but struggling to create good chances and score goals.  It has given a good platform though to hopefully kick on and play more the expansive, attacking football we were promised / expected.  

Would be interesting to know how close SN was to getting the sack. He has clearly bought himself a lot of time now so hopefully the improvements that he wants to see as well as us will follow. 

He was close but you hit the nail on the head earlier when you mentioned players not listening/doing as instructed. For whatever reasons and there will likely be different ones for different players they weren’t doing what he wanted. It has taken a bit of time to get the message and belief across. I hope the performance improve and start to match results now as things click together. 

19 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

If Steven Naismith is still in the dugout twelve months from now, I suspect the Hearts team we will be watching then will bear little resemblance to the current iteration. 

It is clear that coming into the job he wanted to play with a back four. He compromised on this when things were not going well and it likely saved his job. Results picked up once we switched to a back three. We all have our ideals though and it's probably reasonable to assume that playing with a back four is where he wants to go with things in the long run. 

That could have all sorts of implications for what we do in the summer. It means a right back will have to be signed. It could mean Kye Rowles leaving(has never looked convincing in a back four for us). It will mean changes in midfield. 

I don't think this low scoring, stingey at the back, version of Hearts is Steven Naismith's vision for us. It certainly doesn't tie in with what he said when he first got the job. It is proving effective however and it has bought him time. Time was a luxury he appeared to be fast running out of at one point. 

Good post. 

Fozzyonthefence
36 minutes ago, Dazo said:

He was close but you hit the nail on the head earlier when you mentioned players not listening/doing as instructed. For whatever reasons and there will likely be different ones for different players they weren’t doing what he wanted. It has taken a bit of time to get the message and belief across. I hope the performance improve and start to match results now as things click together. 

You can probably also throw in lack of confidence to players not listening or not doing as instructed. 

What frustrates me is we saw the levels and style of performance that Naismith wanted at the end of last season v Ross County, Aberdeen and first half (with 11 men) v Celtic and it was very enjoyable to watch.  We’ve been nowhere near these levels of performance at Tynie this season - is it simply that without Ginelly and McKay we’re unable to play like that now?  That we just haven’t been getting nearly enough out of Oda, Vargas, Tagawa, Forrest or the midfield?  

Berrassobad
On 16/10/2023 at 17:26, Bongo 1874 said:

We are a possession based team that tries to win the ball high up the pitch,and then break into attacks from there.

Intensity is our identity are you just making this up? I'll give you the evidence and you can be the judge.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://theanalyst.com/2023/08/scottish-premiership-stats-2023-24-opta/&ved=2ahUKEwibs5u1-fqBAxUGJsAKHTNIBJsQFnoECCMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1R8mGYL6iULauwFJ59HmQI

As it stands we have the lowest PPDA in league, for those that don't know what PPDA is.

What does PPDA mean in football?

Passes Allowed Per Defensive Action

Passes Allowed Per Defensive Action (PPDA)

To measure the pressure that the defending team puts on the opposition players when they are in possession of the ball. The definition of PPDA is: PPDA = Number of Passes made by Attacking Team (oppoenent) / Number of Defensive Actions.

A high PPDA value indicates that a team sits off more than others; they make few attempts to press the player on the ball in the opposition's half or near the halfway line. Rather than counter-press after losing possession, the players make recovery runs and the team drops into a mid or low block.

What does a low PPDA mean? A low PPDA value indicates a higher intensity to a team's pressing. A low value shows that the team allows their opponents fewer passes for every defensive action that one of their players makes.

We are currently 1st with a score of 8.9.

Rangers 2nd 9.1

Celtic 3rd 9.4

Hibs 4th 10.5 🤣.

The link above shows the evidence.

Here is actual game footage.

the Aberdeen game shows what we are trying to achieve,they were forced to go long due to our high press,and constant pressure no time approach.

We dominated possession and the game despite having many players out.

Naismith hasn't had the luxury of bringing his own people in.

And for what it's worth, i don't believe the dof fully backs him.

Give him time he isn't the problem.

When Naismith does eventually leave this is the philosophy,  we need to stick to when appointing someone else.

This will allow a smooth transition,and no confusion of what is expected from the players,from fans.

Very confident for the game against Celtic.

WTF....TLDR...(SMH). TBH my POV IRL IDC re a ppda ...........CWOT ! K ? ........ am awol 4 diy so any faq rsvp on fb.........or gtf

Bongo 1874
5 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

No he hasn’t and it’s obvious that’s the case when you listen to him.   Yet you listen to some on here and just because we’re 3rd in the league they think everything is rosey and they lose their shit at the slightest criticism when it’s clear as day even the manager is getting frustrated at the players not doing what they’re told.  

Yeah his standards will be very high,but that can only be a good thing for us as a club.

He recognises the team needs improvement too,fair criticism Naismith wants it to be close to perfection.

And that's the mentality the players should have and carry into training,that then raises the standards overall around the club.

I have been very critical of Mccavoy,Forrest, Savage.

What I ask show me that never say die attitude,show me you care,show me you want to be the very best.

Take responsibility for actions they take.

We are a big club.

This is a chance to revolutionise, a whole entire Football club and Fan base.

Make a statement with signings and back it up with performances on the park,and this fanbase will love them.

An opportunity to be part of something bigger than yourself, Join the Revolution,Live the Revolution!!!!!

RustyRightPeg
3 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You can probably also throw in lack of confidence to players not listening or not doing as instructed. 

What frustrates me is we saw the levels and style of performance that Naismith wanted at the end of last season v Ross County, Aberdeen and first half (with 11 men) v Celtic and it was very enjoyable to watch.  We’ve been nowhere near these levels of performance at Tynie this season - is it simply that without Ginelly and McKay we’re unable to play like that now?  That we just haven’t been getting nearly enough out of Oda, Vargas, Tagawa, Forrest or the midfield?  

I think there was an element of surprise when Naismith took over. We'd been largely labored under Neilson and teams were getting brave against us, pressing higher up the pitch, and in particular, latching onto Snodgrass.

When Naismith took over, a few teams kept trying that higher line...by which point we'd adapted. It took a couple of weeks for our players to adapt to Naisy's style and now opposing managers have adapted to us. It's a constant chess match. 

I 100% agree though, we need more from our wider players. 

5 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I agree with you that he didn't plan on managing a hard to breakdown, three at the back club. I also don't see it changing that quickly. This team has a wealth of center backs, especially if Halkett and Kingsley are graced by health and Lewis Neilson continues his rise. 

If the club finishes third, I can't see them entering the summer and trying to move off their strength. I think it is more likely they try to find wing backs whose skills can be unlocked playing beside a strong back three. That's the easier path than trying to sign a good 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 roster where we would not only need to find better midfield and attackers but ultimately balance it by moving one or two defenders who are too talented to not be in the first team consistently.

Naismith has shown himself to be pragmatic. I've gained respect for him grinding out wins in a style that simply isn't his preferred way. If Hearts finished third and start next season strong, Naismith maybe gets poached down south, so it isn't a bad deal for him. And it isn't bad for Hearts to perhaps adopt an identity as a three at the back club and recruit both staff and players with that in mind.

Watt-Zeefuik

I was impressed not so much about a notion of an identity or a philosophy, but the way which they've broken it down into component pieces that can be grasped by the players and worked on in training.

It explains why we've seen some players slowly but steadily improving over the season.

I agree about Naismith wanting players who listen, which is why I think we've seen so much of Alan Forrest this season. Even though he's less polished than others he's clearly a sponge who's fully bought in to SN's programme and that's led to game time for him, and now he's playing his best football ever in maroon.

Not sure I'd lump Devlin into the category of players who don't listen though. He's hurt at the moment. I don't think there's anything more than that.

But ultimately I really appreciate that he's analyzing and adapting as we go. He has his ideas but ultimately he's responding to what's happening on the pitch. We were leaking set piece goals like a sieve, so now he keeps everyone back, and we're now stodgy against them. So it doesn't give us the out ball, there was a problem and now it's solved at the expense of probably a half attacking chance every three games or some such.

• 3 weeks later...
Bongo 1874

72% Possession yesterday, really should of scored more.

Intensity and press good again.

Next week will be tough,we know the cards are already stacked against us.

The next 3 games I'm asking you stick by the lads and him.

Superb support yesterday 👏.

Let's keep this going.

19 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Let's keep this going.

I think the scoring more will come next season. 

41 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Let's keep this going.

It's hard to score when motherwell had everyone behind the ball most of the game. We done well to score 2 because previous years that would have ended 0-0 or 0-1 to them.

pettigrewsstylist
56 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Let's keep this going.

The run has to end sometime. 4 pts from next 3 would be great, 1 point is entirely possible. Progression in cup more important tbh. We look at league table see a huge gap remains, and go again. Frothing not required if we lose a couple.

Bongo 1874
17 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

It's hard to score when motherwell had everyone behind the ball most of the game. We done well to score 2 because previous years that would have ended 0-0 or 0-1 to them.

Understand 👍 just if i was being critical, minor moan if you want to call it that,but massive improvement, think Forrest could of scored.

His overall performance was great yesterday workrate, being positive and taking on players.

Really good team performance second half,which could of easily resulted in 4 or 5 if we had been more clinical, can't moan really but,2 goals clean sheet.

43 minutes ago, Rods said:

I think the scoring more will come next season. 

Good team we are building,that can only get better,fans need to buy into philosophy, and encourage players to press and work hard when out of possession.

You see a buzz when Oda and Vargas, close down and work hard off the ball.

5 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

The run has to end sometime. 4 pts from next 3 would be great, 1 point is entirely possible. Progression in cup more important tbh. We look at league table see a huge gap remains, and go again. Frothing not required if we lose a couple.

Understand but let's keep it going as long as possible, and keep working hard and believing the philosophy.

When / if Naismith leaves,this is the philosophy and style we stick too.

We should start looking for potential replacements for him, so we are ready for that moment if it comes.

Similar to Brighton.

Massively impressed though.

A smooth transition.

Good Times certainly ahead at Hearts.

And I want Naismith too stay as long as possible.

I back him when we play like this.

colinmorewasgash

Apologies to steven and board as I'm man enough to admit I got it wrong when I felt in october football was dire and we were going nowhere. What a turn around, I did get told that davie weir recommended vargas as brighton had been watching him whether thats true or not who knows but what a lovely goal yesterday. Only criticism still is the way we start games and first half performances, but the run we are on is fantastic. Still thought we could have done with another striker in jan but vargas is showing he is more striker than winger recently. Well done naismith, if this continues we may struggle to keep him and I would never have thought that early part of season. 

Chuck Berry

I was wrong about Naismith.

I thought it was far too early for him, and the European game shambles didn't help (although he still hasn't started his UEFA pro licence).

That said, I do worry about us if we don't adequately replace Shanks if he goes. That'll be the ultimate test.

48 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

I was wrong about Naismith.

I thought it was far too early for him, and the European game shambles didn't help (although he still hasn't started his UEFA pro licence).

That said, I do worry about us if we don't adequately replace Shanks if he goes. That'll be the ultimate test.

Me too . Could not have been more wrong . Delighted to have been 

• 4 weeks later...
Thomaso

Bumping this thread

Skooshing 3rd - now back to Hampden for a second time! 👏

Bongo 1874
19 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Bumping this thread

Skooshing 3rd - now back to Hampden for a second time! 👏

See the goal tonight 😉.

It's been quite amusing going back over this thread, when so many were lining up to pan Naismith and wanted him out when he'd barely had time to stamp his mark on the team.  Some have gone a bit quiet on the subject, others lining up to admit they are happy to have been proven wrong. 

It's a trend that recurs on other threads about individual players, Calem being a prime example.  So many writing the lad off when he'd barely had time to settle into his new environment, and again lining up to admit they are happy to have been proven wrong.

We can all make mistakes, the trick is to learn lessons from those mistakes so as not to repeat them.  It would be nice to think that those posters who now admit to having been wrong to write someone off so quickly might reserve their judgement in future, but I suspect too many of them can't help themselves.

Edited by RobNox

Bongo 1874
4 minutes ago, RobNox said:

It's been quite amusing going back over this thread, when so many were lining up to pan Naismith and wanted him out when he'd barely had time to stamp his mark on the team.  Some have gone a bit quiet on the subject, others lining up to admit they are happy to have been proven wrong. 

It's a trend that recurs on other threads about individual players, Calem being a prime example.  So many writing the lad off when he'd barely had time to settle into his new environment, and again lining up to admit they are happy to have been proven wrong.

We can all make mistakes, the trick is to learn lessons from those mistakes so as not to repeat them.  It would be nice to think that those posters who now admit to having been wrong to write someone off so quickly might reserve their judgement in future, but I suspect too many of them can't help themselves.

Easily done mate, I didn't think Grant and Forrest would be up to it.

But Forrest has been one of the most improved players this season,and Grant has definitely contributed too.

I think our press and workrate is far better than what it was under previous management, and we seem to keep the ball better against old firm recently too.

The key is concentration against the big teams,and working hard giving them no space and time to think.

We can knock the ball about and keep possession as good as any of the big two.

Composure in possession,out of possession we hunt in packs, was really impressed with this in the Celtic game.

And if we can get the Hoff,Beni doing this the same way they did against Celtic we will beat Rangers I'm very confident of this.

Bongo 1874
29 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Take a day off

Raging 😀.