***Heart Of Midlothian Vs H1b5*** Official Match Thread

Masonic

Our lack of width is the only thing that bothers me. Vargas is the only player we have capable of playing out wide and even then I feel he'd be better playing up top in front of Shankland or Boyce. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• GinRummy

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

In his last start (St. Mirren?) he was the best player on the park, He missed the Killie game for obvious reasons and was rested against Ross County, for the H1b5 game (IMO)

This!

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah I don't see any positives to it this weekend tbh - could be an aggressive attacking move but only if we played Kingsley at LCB: we won't drop Kye and we've no other LWB, so that's deid.

It's 433 or a variation all day long this weekend for me.

Are Beni and Devlin starting is my big wonder.

7 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Are Beni and Devlin starting is my big wonder.

Although not fully up to speed yet I'd be starting Beni. We need someone from the start who can keep possession and control play. His composure would be a big asset and how we start the game is vital. Can't be going a goal down and having to chase the game. 

Devlin I can't say as I don't know if he'll be fit or not by Saturday but if he I'd think he'll definitely start too.

1 hour ago, Chimp said:

At what point to you deserve a start then if you keep producing off the bench? That's the whole point in making a difference and playing well when you come on, to gain your place in the starting 11.

Strange you feel Grant should keep playing to build his confidence but that doesn't apply to Lowry? Surely this is the case for both players.

When there is an injury or loss of form to the player ahead of him. 

I would much prefer to see players where they are most impactful, and at the moment that is from the bench with Lowry. His performance against Motherwell was shocking, he was wasteful, selfish and showed very little awareness that its a team game. Rightly Naismith has dropped him from the starting line up, but I'm not interested in going back to that. Bring him on late in games when legs are tired and we'll see the best of him. From the start where everyone is at their sharpest, I don't think he's going to be much use, at least at the moment. 

Grant is also our player, Lowry is not and I want to see Grant come good, and I think he can. Lowry will likely be back at Rangers in January. So what do you want to do? Let us do the heavy lifting on getting Lowry up to match sharpness (enduring games like most of his starts so far) for him to toddle off along the M8 in January and be left with a now very rejected and lacking in sharpness Grant? Or use Lowry while we have him where he is most effective? 

If we had a snowballs chance of keeping him permanently, I'd probably be a bit more flexible -  but we don't and I don't see it as our job to develop players for Rangers. Much rather use him where he can win us games and actually be useful instead of going through the ugly side of developing a young player through starts (and the attached mediocre performances). 

39 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Our lack of width is the only thing that bothers me. Vargas is the only player we have capable of playing out wide and even then I feel he'd be better playing up top in front of Shankland or Boyce. 

Oda? 

We'll need a robust midfield as Newell will kick anything around him, I'm always surprised at what he seems to get away with against us.

4 minutes ago, droid said:

We'll need a robust midfield as Newell will kick anything around him, I'm always surprised at what he seems to get away with against us.

Yeah, they have a lot of that, Doyle-Hayes bodied Haring and got away with it. Campbell and Jeggo too. 

I'm sure Devlin will revel in the battle, but will Beni? I think Grant could be useful against them too in terms of drawing fouls. 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I would much prefer to see players where they are most impactful, and at the moment that is from the bench with Lowry. His performance against Motherwell was shocking, he was wasteful, selfish and showed very little awareness that its a team game. Rightly Naismith has dropped him from the starting line up, but I'm not interested in going back to that. Bring him on late in games when legs are tired and we'll see the best of him. From the start where everyone is at their sharpest, I don't think he's going to be much use, at least at the moment. 

Grant is also our player, Lowry is not and I want to see Grant come good, and I think he can. Lowry will likely be back at Rangers in January. So what do you want to do? Let us do the heavy lifting on getting Lowry up to match sharpness (enduring games like most of his starts so far) for him to toddle off along the M8 in January and be left with a now very rejected and lacking in sharpness Grant? Or use Lowry while we have him where he is most effective? 

If we had a snowballs chance of keeping him permanently, I'd probably be a bit more flexible -  but we don't and I don't see it as our job to develop players for Rangers. Much rather use him where he can win us games and actually be useful instead of going through the ugly side of developing a young player through starts (and the attached mediocre performances). 

What shines through in your post is you feel a little miffed or bothered by the fact Lowry is a loan player contracted to Rangers and you think we're developing him rather than his ability on the park and what he can contribute.  In essence if Lowry was our player you'd probably be more likely to be happy to see him start. Because its unlikely we'll keep a hold of him permanently that backs up even more that Grant should be playing ahead of him because he's "our" player? You play the best players available. 

1 minute ago, Chimp said:

What shines through in your post is you feel a little miffed or bothered by the fact Lowry is a loan player contracted to Rangers and you think we're developing him rather than his ability on the park and what he can contribute.  In essence if Lowry was our player you'd probably be more likely to be happy to see him start. Because its unlikely we'll keep a hold of him permanently that backs up even more that Grant should be playing ahead of him because he's "our" player? You play the best players available. 

TBH I don't really care how it comes off, the underlying point of us doing the heavy lifting and having to endure Lowry's lukewarm starts seemed to evade your response. He's proven he can influence games from the bench, and I'd rather he stayed there, where he is useful than revert back to games like Motherwell where he was awful. 

In January we will still have Jorge Grant, we likely won't have Lowry. I'd rather take a view of the league campaign as a whole, and I think keeping Grant in the team to keep building him up is more important than training Rangers youngster for them. I'm sorry if you disagree.

Would’ve loved to have Oda for this one. He’d give either of their left backs a load to think about.

Will change my mind 100 times over throughout the week but at the moment I’d go:

Clark

Sibbick Kent Rowles Kingsley

Devlin Calem

Vargas Shankland Forrest

Tagawa (**** it)

Vargas on the right up against Stevenson hopefully. Forrest better defensively against Miller who is playing well at the moment. Devlin on Newell. Tagawa thrown straight in to keep their defensive line deep.

3-2 Hearts

21 minutes ago, OTT said:

TBH I don't really care how it comes off, the underlying point of us doing the heavy lifting and having to endure Lowry's lukewarm starts seemed to evade your response. He's proven he can influence games from the bench, and I'd rather he stayed there, where he is useful than revert back to games like Motherwell where he was awful. 

In January we will still have Jorge Grant, we likely won't have Lowry. I'd rather take a view of the league campaign as a whole, and I think keeping Grant in the team to keep building him up is more important than training Rangers youngster for them. I'm sorry if you disagree.

Grant has been OK since he's come in, nothing more than that and scored a good goal. Lowry is a far more talented player than him and is capable of producing magic. Probably had more goal contributions already than Grant has since he arrived last season.

I couldn't care less if he's on loan, he's a professional footballer who currently plays for Heart of Midlothian and will be wanting to do well for us. This not thinking we should play someone because it's developing another club's player stuff is just childish IMO. We need to live in the here and now and if a loan player is better than what we have then they should play. If you don't think so then fair enough. 

Either way he probably won't ever be a starter every week for Rangers, they'll continue to spend millions on other players who'll play ahead of him. Even if he does, do you really think that when we play them in future that Alex Lowry would be the reason they won the game? and that us playing him here for a season is the reason for that defeat? Come on now.

Edited by Chimp

5 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Would’ve loved to have Oda for this one. He’d give either of their left backs a load to think about.

Will change my mind 100 times over throughout the week but at the moment I’d go:

Clark

Sibbick Kent Rowles Kingsley

Devlin Calem

Vargas Shankland Forrest

Tagawa (**** it)

Vargas on the right up against Stevenson hopefully. Forrest better defensively against Miller who is playing well at the moment. Devlin on Newell. Tagawa thrown straight in to keep their defensive line deep.

3-2 Hearts

Quite like that team! Having someone like Tagawa running off of Shankland would be good. Although, I liked how Grant and Shanks combined for their goal against Killie. 

Had forgotten all about Calem which makes me a bit more comfortable with our midfield options! :D Not sure if Beni is up to start such an intense game yet?

42 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Although not fully up to speed yet I'd be starting Beni. We need someone from the start who can keep possession and control play. His composure would be a big asset and how we start the game is vital. Can't be going a goal down and having to chase the game. 

Devlin I can't say as I don't know if he'll be fit or not by Saturday but if he I'd think he'll definitely start too.

I'd play Beni. The worry being which mutant hammer thrower from Newell, Campbell & JDH is likely to take him out. 

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

I'd play Beni. The worry being which mutant hammer thrower from Newell, Campbell & JDH is likely to take him out. 

That's if they're even able to get near him 😏

We need to be wary of their pace on the break its the one thing they can exploit as they have a few quick players. However, we need to remember this is Hibs we are playing, that still sees the likes of Paul Hanlon playing and Rocky! Start quick against them and get in about their defence and we will create chances that we have to make the most of. 

3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

We need to be wary of their pace on the break its the one thing they can exploit as they have a few quick players. However, we need to remember this is Hibs we are playing, that still sees the likes of Paul Hanlon playing and Rocky! Start quick against them and get in about their defence and we will create chances that we have to make the most of. 

Genuinely 2 of the worst CB's in the league. 

18 minutes ago, OTT said:

Quite like that team! Having someone like Tagawa running off of Shankland would be good. Although, I liked how Grant and Shanks combined for their goal against Killie. 

Had forgotten all about Calem which makes me a bit more comfortable with our midfield options! :D Not sure if Beni is up to start such an intense game yet?

Beni looked more like his old self against St Mirren. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him feature. Appears to be being phased back in gradually which is for the best. Easy as Devlin and Calem are both playing well at the moment. 

Agree with your earlier posts about Lowry. Unfortunately for him, if we were to start him we’d lose the impact he has from the bench. I’d much rather be able to introduce the likes of him and Boyce when legs and minds are tiring. 

Edited by RDSK

Neither team is playing well, looks like a 0-0 to me. Defeat unthinkable and should be the end for current management team.

11 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Oh goody, Collum and Beaton.  Lovely

Could work in our favour.

Don't think Hibs like this lot either 

I can’t say I’m overly confident about this game but then again, it’s Hibs and I’ve lost track of the time where folk may have considered them favourites for us to then beat then as per usual. 

As mentioned, their pace up top is the only worry but we can deal with that better than a physical battle there. Our CBs are typically better suited to that style. 

We should create chances against them since they are giving up enough to other teams, their honking at the back with arguably the worst keeper in the league these days. 

central midfield is the key area, Newall is dirty but can be effective on.his day, he’s one of their better players. Him vs Devlin will be key. 

14 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

I can’t say I’m overly confident about this game but then again, it’s Hibs and I’ve lost track of the time where folk may have considered them favourites for us to then beat then as per usual. 

As mentioned, their pace up top is the only worry but we can deal with that better than a physical battle there. Our CBs are typically better suited to that style. 

We should create chances against them since they are giving up enough to other teams, their honking at the back with arguably the worst keeper in the league these days. 

central midfield is the key area, Newall is dirty but can be effective on.his day, he’s one of their better players. Him vs Devlin will be key. 

I normally think its literally just a case of keeping Boyle quiet thats the key to beating them, however the Dutch boy looks a decent striker who knows where the goal is. 

As others have suggested defensively they are still absolute pony so we will have chances.

Edited by droid

GorgieFifeLife
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Lowry has done nothing to suggest he will be back with them in Jan.  Even with them struggling he is miles off the standard required to get game time there.  He needs to up his game to even get any time on the pitch with us.  Grant and Lowry would both be lost in a frenetic derby, I’d start neither.

Boyces beard
5 minutes ago, droid said:

I normally think its literally just a case of keeping Boyce quiet thats the key to beating them, however the Dutch boy looks a decent striker who knows where the goal is. 

As others have suggested defensively they are still absolute pony so we will have chances.

I assume you mean Boyle, hopefully Boyce is very loud!

8 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Lowry has done nothing to suggest he will be back with them in Jan.  Even with them struggling he is miles off the standard required to get game time there.  He needs to up his game to even get any time on the pitch with us.  Grant and Lowry would both be lost in a frenetic derby, I’d start neither.

Thinking about it I wouldn't start Grant in a derby either. After scoring a decent goal the other week he launched into two tackles not long after that he was lucky not to be booked for. 

Wouldn't last long in  a Derby with those kind of challenges.

Expect Hibs will be this:

Marshall 
Miller Fish Bushiri Obita

Boyle Jeggo Newell Youan

Vente Le-Fondre 

Expect we’ll be this:

Clark

Sibbick Kent Rowles

Offiah Devlin Nieuwenhof Kingsley

Grant

Vargas Shankland 

Grant going to be key for us offensively. We should be dominating in the central areas.

Offiah and Kingsley going to have it tough with their attacking full backs and obviously Boyle and Youan. Hibs will fancy themselves out wide.

Interesting matchup tactically. Hibs under Montgomery are pretty attacking but are dodgy at the back. Whereas we are pretty solid at the back but really struggle with chance creation and shots.

Fancy us with home advantage to edge 1-0. If they score first then it is going to become uncomfortable.

Shankland due a goal. 1-0 to the famous.

1 hour ago, droid said:

So will Campbell, Jeggo and Doyle-Hayes.  Thugs Unt.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Yeah, they have a lot of that, Doyle-Hayes bodied Haring and got away with it. Campbell and Jeggo too. 

I'm sure Devlin will revel in the battle, but will Beni? I think Grant could be useful against them too in terms of drawing fouls. 

Decent last point there! Devlin taking bait for an early yellow to negate him is real risk.

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

F7glpIeWYAAIShm.jpeg.jpg

Says so much for the hapless state of refereeing here when folk are actually pleased he’s doing the game.  That after some of the abject howlers he’s had in some of our games against Celtic. 

Edited by Deevers

upgotheheads
17 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Says so much for the hapless state of refereeing here when folk are actually pleased he’s doing the game.  That after some of the abject howlers he’s had in some of our games against Celtic. 

Collum is not the worst, his blundering is usually even-handed.

...a bit disco
54 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

I assume you mean Boyle, hopefully Boyce is very loud!

😄

Indeed!

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Too true. They're gonna be totally 'at it' from the get-go. Hacking will be one of their top tactics ... just as falling over is a top Killie tactic.

As for the officials?

Perm any five from ten and that 👇 is no worse than any other combination.

I we can keep our cool then they'll be down to 10 by ½ time.

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

F7glpIeWYAAIShm.jpeg.jpg

Beaton on VAR? Jeez!

9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Sadly, Collum is not the worst ... but ... 'even handed'? Naw, just naw ...

Not the slightest bit worried about their "muscle" in midfield. We can go toe to toe with this lot easy.

I'm sure 'brother Beaton' will look after us in the VAR room anyway :lol:

Edited by Pans Jambo

5 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Sadly, Collum is not the worst ... but ... 'even handed'? Naw, just naw ...

Collum is what he is. Even handed isn't a description I'd use! His bias is staggering. 

Just now, Carter said:

Collum is what he is. Even handed isn't a description I'd use! His bias is staggering. 

Its not even the bias, because that is typically only when the OF are involved, its his desire to play some sort of warped pantomime villain. He will absolutely look for a reason to influence the outcome of the match. There will be penalty calls and red cards, because he doesn't know how else to referee. He's an overly officious prick has has a tough time understanding that absolutely nobody is there to watch him. 

8 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Too true. They're gonna be totally 'at it' from the get-go. Hacking will be one of their top tactics ... just as falling over is a top Killie tactic.

As for the officials?

Perm any five from ten and that 👇 is no worse than any other combination.

I we can keep our cool then they'll be down to 10 by ½ time.

Beaton on VAR? Jeez!

Newell and Josh Campbell are two horrible thugs. The way Campbell plods around like a mutant is something to behold. Newell is snide cowardly and very nasty. Fancies himself as a player too which is laughable. 

Just now, OTT said:

Its not even the bias, because that is typically only when the OF are involved, its his desire to play some sort of warped pantomime villain. He will absolutely look for a reason to influence the outcome of the match. There will be penalty calls and red cards, because he doesn't know how else to referee. He's an overly officious prick has has a tough time understanding that absolutely nobody is there to watch him. 

He is particularly overly officious. The way he'll brandish a card in a players face with gleeful haste is a loathsome feature. 

He's so Celtic it's beyond belief. That said, not so much a factor when they're not the opposition as you rightly point out. 

4 hours ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Any spares for Saturday? I'm after 1. Back from Turkey early doors

Cheers

You don't have a Season Ticket?

Quelle surprise ... not!

As per Thessonaliki, you'd be oot the door an' off fer a 🍺 come ½ time should we not be winning.

Am I right, or am I right? 😉

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

Very well put,👍 the abbreviated version is Total Cock.

loveofthegame
59 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Marshall 

Boyle Jeggo Newell Youan

Vente Le-Fondre 

Expect we’ll be this:

Clark

Sibbick Kent Rowles

Grant

Vargas Shankland 

You won't be far off with this. The midfield will be absolutely key. Like it or not their front "four" can hurt anyone on their day. But similarly their back 4 is absolutely bottom 6 level.

Feel we'll need to score at least a couple to win this one as I don't think we'll keep a clean sheet. But hope we can win the battle in the middle of the park and hurt them going forward. 

I'll go 3-2 Hearts in a classic.

19 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not the slightest bit worried about their "muscle" in midfield. We can go toe to toe with this lot easy.

I'm sure 'brother Beaton' will look after us in the VAR room anyway :lol:

Aye ... but only if his attention isn't compromised by him looking for a well-stuffed brown envelope which makes him miss a stick-on pen for Hearts.

Cynical?

Moi?

You bet! 😆

49 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Unless we are playing Celtic. 

1 hour ago, Famous 1874 said:

Marshall 

Boyle Jeggo Newell Youan

Vente Le-Fondre 

Expect we’ll be this:

Clark

Sibbick Kent Rowles

Grant

Vargas Shankland 

Grant going to be key for us offensively. We should be dominating in the central areas.

Offiah and Kingsley going to have it tough with their attacking full backs and obviously Boyle and Youan. Hibs will fancy themselves out wide.

Interesting matchup tactically. Hibs under Montgomery are pretty attacking but are dodgy at the back. Whereas we are pretty solid at the back but really struggle with chance creation and shots.

Fancy us with home advantage to edge 1-0. If they score first then it is going to become uncomfortable.

Shankland due a goal. 1-0 to the famous.

I expect they’ll line up Doidge against Rowles.