***Heart Of Midlothian Vs H1b5*** Official Match Thread

Masonic

Footballs such a fickle game sometimes, win this & it alleviates a huge amount of the pressure on Naisy & the board - lose and the knives will well & truly be out sharper than ever. The phrase "must win" is overused but this to me is at least a must not lose at the very least.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• GinRummy

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tough to say what I'd pick or what Naisy will.  I'd worry that a 343 type thing (or 3412 like Sat) leaves us exposed down the wings, or alternatively pins back our wingbacks. They're decent out wide and I think maybe a 4 at the back better for it.  So 433?

Zander

Toby Kent Rowles Kingsley

Hof Cam

Grant

Forrest Shanks Vargas

Maybe?  That leaves us hopefully Beni, Boyce, Lowry, Oda and Tagawa all as positive subs too which could be very important. 

It's Toby or Odel at RB - I like Odel but I do feel he's still very raw.  Need one of Toby's big games, and he's had them against Hibs so no big worries

Just thinking the other rather unfair option is to drop Grant for Beni and really go in to win the midfield.  Look to play the ball quickly up to that front 3, and use our midfield to win every single second ball...? Maybe prefer that in a way.  Could play Cam with a bit more freedeom with Beni and Hof behind him...

45 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Footballs such a fickle game sometimes, win this & it alleviates a huge amount of the pressure on Naisy & the board - lose and the knives will well & truly be out sharper than ever. The phrase "must win" is overused but this to me is at least a must not lose at the very least.

Every single game we ever play against Hibs is always a must win.

3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Could play Cam with a bit more freedeom with Beni and Hof behind him..

When we have these three fit and firing I will be intrigued to see how we get the best out of them . I think they could be one of the best midfields we have seen in decades . Need to temper my expectations and see what happens though

50 minutes ago, Sooks said:

When we have these three fit and firing I will be intrigued to see how we get the best out of them . I think they could be one of the best midfields we have seen in decades . Need to temper my expectations and see what happens though

Yep, it probably sounds mad to some people but I'd play Cam in front of Hof and Beni.  You'd have Beni sitting and controlling everything across the field, Hof who can do that but also break the lines and get forward and you'd have Cammy released to do Cammy things.

I know he can play a disciplined role, we've seen him do it but just let him off the leash.  Let him use his ability to win us the ball high up the park and have Vargas, Oda, Tagawa or whatever leap with pace and aggression on to those occasions.

What I would say is I only really really like that if our fullbacks play very high up.  We'd only have 3 natuaral threats in our team (others can do it, but the three forwards would be the only obvious threats), so I'd want our FBs getting right up there providing the width and allowing our 2 "wingers" to choose to be wide or in beside Shanks as the game dictates.  Would work better with Cochrane and Nat than Kingsley and Toby tbh.

How I'd see it anyway.  Could be amazing.

The other option would be the JJ formation which I always saw as a bit lopsided but it worked.  Kind of 433, come 442 with 3 CMs, 1 winger and 2 CFs.  Could work too.  Fulton, Salva and Mickey: Beni; Hof and Cam; McCann, Adam and Hammy/Robbo: Oda, Vargas and Shanks

AC Mallin_51

I actually said to my pal after the st mirren game that for me if Naisy wanted any hope of turning it round and winning the fans over he had to win the next 3. Here he’s won 2, win on Saturday and all of a sudden he’s looking a lot more comfortable and will absolutely be in charge for the semi final. Crazy how football can work. Both sides haven’t really played any “big” teams yet, minus an off the boil Aberdeen side. This will be a good test for us both and will really help paint a picture of where we are. I’m going a hard fought 2-1 Hearts 🇱🇻

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Tough to say what I'd pick or what Naisy will.  I'd worry that a 343 type thing (or 3412 like Sat) leaves us exposed down the wings, or alternatively pins back our wingbacks. They're decent out wide and I think maybe a 4 at the back better for it.  So 433?

Zander

Hof Cam

Grant

Forrest Shanks Vargas

Maybe?  That leaves us hopefully Beni, Boyce, Lowry, Oda and Tagawa all as positive subs too which could be very important. 

It's Toby or Odel at RB - I like Odel but I do feel he's still very raw.  Need one of Toby's big games, and he's had them against Hibs so no big worries

Just thinking the other rather unfair option is to drop Grant for Beni and really go in to win the midfield.  Look to play the ball quickly up to that front 3, and use our midfield to win every single second ball...? Maybe prefer that in a way.  Could play Cam with a bit more freedeom with Beni and Hof behind him...

I saw nothing from Odel to put him in ahead of Sibbick, but it's difficult to imagine not starting with a fit Beni. That would make it a choice between Grant and  Hof for the bench, and I think I would go with Grant to start for his experience. That would still leave us with a strong bench if Lowr, Oda, and Tagawa are fit.

4 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I saw nothing from Odel to put him in ahead of Sibbick, but it's difficult to imagine not starting with a fit Beni. That would make it a choice between Grant and  Hof for the bench, and I think I would go with Grant to start for his experience. That would still leave us with a strong bench if Lowr, Oda, and Tagawa are fit.

It's a toss up isn't it: Hof or Grant.  If it came to it, that is.

Both been pretty good last couple of games.  Neither deserves dropped.

Against Hibs, is it likely Hof would have more chance to influence the game than Grant, perhaps?!  That type of game where it's likely to be a battle before the football breaks out.  Hes shown he'll get stuck in, win his tackles and headers, but can definitely play too. Could Grant get lost in the mix a little?

Or is it the opposite, and that fight breaks out but we need someone who might have that 5 seconds of creativity when the ball breaks and there's a chance.  That's been McKay for us in these games (think of his pass to Shanks for the opener last season, or his wee perfect pass to Simms in the semi).  Could that be Grant?

Duno!!

I'd be tempted to play Hof before Grant, as I say, not being overly cautious playing a slightly deeper player, just I think he slightly ticks more boxes for me on this game is all.

Looking forward to this. All I’ve been hearing about is Montys resurgence etc but it’s hardly anything to be worried about. So far the only result that’s impressed me is the St Mirren one but they still conceded 2 and could easily have lost. Hibs have the upper hand in the forward areas no doubt about it. They’ve spent big on that area but their team is so unbalanced it’s unreal. It’s fur coat and nae knickers. Their midfield is average at best and the defence and ‘keeper is possibly the worst in the league. 

We’ll definitely control the midfield and have most of the possession. Keep their forwards quiet and we’ll win comfortably. 

Clark

Sibbick Kent Rowles Kingsley 

Devlin Beni

Grant

Vargas Shankland Forrest 

I'm very much looking forward to this derby.

Looking at the table, H1b5 seem to be scoring well, but yet conceding heaps.

Us? The opposite and yet we're above them on points.

They've scored 11, but conceded 10, leaving them with a +1 goal difference.

We've scored 5, but only conceded 3, hence +2 for us.

Us gift-wrapping goals for our opposition has done my nut in. Frustrating points losses being the result.

Being a derby, it's probably too much to expect the proverbial 'game of football' to break out, but see if it does (dodgy reffing notwithstanding)? We'll stuff 'em.

❤️❤️G❤️

20 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Not sure if Beni will get a start. Calem, Cammy and Jorge in the middle. 

Agreed. Beni does not look ready to start such  a highly frenetic game. 

1 hour ago, Baldy61 said:

Agreed. Beni does not look ready to start such  a highly frenetic game. 

1 hour ago, Eddiepolio3 said:

It would be insanity to start Beni for this game and we'd be as well leaving his slot on the treatment table open

Beni as in Beni Baningime? As in the best midfielder outside the OF? That Beni? Sorry to disappoint but if(IF) he’s fit he will be the first name on the team sheet. 

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Theres one thing that I can’t see past with that

I’ve always thought a great 3 man midfield needs a combination of -

- a screener (DM/Anchor/Whatever you want to call it) to protect the defense, win the ball back & cut out the passing lanes, offer an option for a short pass back & above all has to be positionally disciplined

then 2 players who depending on system can interchange who’s more advanced & who plays deeper

- a runner/ball carrier (ie a traditional box to box player like Colin Cameron, a “Mezalla” such as Iniesta or KDB, a Wijnaldum type who’s job is to chase the ball in the opposition half & force high turnovers) who offers options for a pass through movement when in possession & presses out of possession 

- a creator, either playing as a “deep lying playmaker” such as a Xavi type to make a 4-3-3 or in a more advanced role say as a “10” in a 4-2-3-1 who feeds the other players on the park 

Beni is obviously your screener because he’s the best defensive mid outside the OF. Cammy can play the role of a runner & win the ball back high up the park with a bit of positional freedom but I’m not sure if any of the 3 fill the role of a creative playmaker. Maybe I’m wrong &  Hof is the man to fill the role but I reckon any 3 man MF needs to feature Grant or Lowry to offer that creativity.

Ricardo Quaresma
On 01/10/2023 at 13:20, 1971fozzy said:

Watching the hibs highlights from yesterday one things for sure and that is we need a strong referee. The amount of diving from the wig and Youan is an utter disgrace

Should find out tomorrow

upgotheheads
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Against Hibs, is it likely Hof would have more chance to influence the game than Grant, perhaps?!  That type of game where it's likely to be a battle before the football breaks out.  Hes shown he'll get stuck in, win his tackles and headers, but can definitely play too. Could Grant get lost in the mix a little?

Or is it the opposite, and that fight breaks out but we need someone who might have that 5 seconds of creativity when the ball breaks and there's a chance.  That's been McKay for us in these games (think of his pass to Shanks for the opener last season, or his wee perfect pass to Simms in the semi).  Could that be Grant?

Duno!!

I'd be tempted to play Hof before Grant, as I say, not being overly cautious playing a slightly deeper player, just I think he slightly ticks more boxes for me on this game is all.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Duno!!

Place for both of Beni is still deemed not ready?  Grant is hardly inexperienced or going to struggle in a derby, imo. 

I can recall Grant being the best out of very few that played well in the cup defeat v Celtic.  Hardly world beating I know but it’s an example that he has the temperament.  

I really want the guy to get a consistent run and see how much he can bring his game to the fore in different scenarios.  You always need that player who can find something in a moment during a tight, frantic match.  

40 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Place for both of Beni is still deemed not ready?  Grant is hardly inexperienced or going to struggle in a derby, imo. 

I can recall Grant being the best out of very few that played well in the cup defeat v Celtic.  Hardly world beating I know but it’s an example that he has the temperament.  

I really want the guy to get a consistent run and see how much he can bring his game to the fore in different scenarios.  You always need that player who can find something in a moment during a tight, frantic match.  

Oh yeah mate itnwas very much IF its Cam + Beni, who is the 3rd type wonderings.

I do wonder if Beni sat out the last 2, having done well v St Mirren, very much with an eye on this weekend...

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Beni as in Beni Baningime? As in the best midfielder outside the OF? That Beni? Sorry to disappoint but if(IF) he’s fit he will be the first name on the team sheet. 

In his last start (St. Mirren?) he was the best player on the park, He missed the Killie game for obvious reasons and was rested against Ross County, for the H1b5 game (IMO)

Arthur Morgan
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

I agree.

Edited by Arthur Morgan

21 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

In his last start (St. Mirren?) he was the best player on the park, He missed the Killie game for obvious reasons and was rested against Ross County, for the H1b5 game (IMO)

He was ill for a few days before the County game so that’s what kept him out. After waiting 18 months, we’d be mad to have a fully fit Beni Baningime for a derby and not play him. The guy is caviar and I’m predicting a MOTM performance.

3 hours ago, DS98 said:

I'm sure we all hope Beni is 100% ready.

12 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Some big calls for Naismith to make this week.

I'd be tempted to stick with the 352 as we barely gave Ross County a sniff at goal on Saturday

GK: Clark

RCH: Sibbick

CH: Kent

LCH: Rowles

RWB:  Forrest

LWB: Kingsley

DCM: Devlin

DCM: The Hoff

#10:  Lowry

ST: Shankland

ST: Vargas

Obviously there a few alternative options available.  Offiah is clearly more defensively solid than Forrest, but we have enough defensive options to make a bold attacking choice at RWB.  #10 is also a big call, we could be defensive and play Beni with the Hoff slightly further forward, or opt for the more experience Grant instead of Lowry.  I just feel Lowry is now starting to make things happen.

I like the idea of this but we really really have to give Shankland and Vargas more to work with.We are barely creating anything for them.

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

He was ill for a few days before the County game so that’s what kept him out. After waiting 18 months, we’d be mad to have a fully fit Beni Baningime for a derby and not play him. The guy is caviar and I’m predicting a MOTM performance.

100%. He was brilliant v St Mirren and I was very surprised he didn’t start on Saturday but didn’t realise he was ill. if he’s fit he has to play, such a good football player

Clark

Sibbick

Kent

Rowles

Kingsley

Devlin

Beni

Vargas

Hoff/Grant

Forrest

Boyce 

Sibbick has to start for me over Offiah. Would be a toss up for Hoff or Grant, maybe start with Hoff and look at Grant/Lowry coming on in second half 

Shankland will start but I’d personally go with Boyce. Shanks been off the pace for weeks and Boyce deserves a start 

If SN believes Beni is ready then so be it, no one will complain about that one. I very much doubt however Hibs will stand off him like St Mirren did so we'll see how he adjusts to the increase in intensity, his first real test since returning.

While I concede Shanks hasn't been anywhere near his form of last season, there is absolutely no chance I replace him with this version of Boyce. If our captain has been in a bit of a huff then I have no doubt he'll shake that shit right off for this, and be pivotal in a win for the Famous. Boycie will come on at some point, however.

10 hours ago, Chimp said:

Every single game we ever play against Hibs is always a must win.

There was one in April 2015 when we had already won the league and Hibs couldn't get 2nd.  Lost that one but kinda still kept the upper hand.    End of season kick about for us and the points hibs got counted for nothing 😄.

4 hours ago, LondonJambo1985 said:

Just posted one for sale in Section C on the exchange 

Re your message above; just wondering if the ticket has sold? If not and as a non-season ticket holder, is there a way that I could buy this ticket from you directly? Let me know.

Thanks

Davy 

2 hours ago, kevin_hmfc said:

There was one in April 2015 when we had already won the league and Hibs couldn't get 2nd.  Lost that one but kinda still kept the upper hand.    End of season kick about for us and the points hibs got counted for nothing 😄.

Hibs were obviously miles behind us as at April 2015 but they finished 3 points above Rangers in 2nd that season so it wasn’t meaningless for them. 

Just for us😀

Start Alex Lowry or not?  Quite a big decision for Naisy. On the one hand he’s played a huge part in helping win the last two games but he’s struggled in the games he’s started. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Start Alex Lowry or not?  Quite a big decision for Naisy. On the one hand he’s played a huge part in helping win the last two games but he’s struggled in the games he’s started. 

That’s where I’m at. Has had a huge impact coming off the bench in the last few games so might be the best option on Saturday.  

Lowry starts for me, he is our most creative player. It is a Derby and we must be trying to win the game from the start.

Clark

Sibbick, Kent, Rowles, Kingsley 

Devlin, 1from Hoff/Haring/Grant 

Vargas, Lowry, 1from Oda/Tagawa/ Forrest

Shanks

pettigrewsstylist
19 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Zander

Hof Cam

Grant

Forrest Shanks Vargas

I wouldnt be going 3 at back against them at moment. 

40 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Lowry starts for me, he is our most creative player. It is a Derby and we must be trying to win the game from the start.

Clark

Sibbick, Kent, Rowles, Kingsley 

Devlin, 1from Hoff/Haring/Grant 

Vargas, Lowry, 1from Oda/Tagawa/ Forrest

Shanks

Not for me, we've done this before when he got a series of disappointing and unwarranted starts after the St Johnstone game, Lowry has done really well the last couple of games coming off the bench, and I think we'd be daft to change that. 

Would prefer to keep Grant in and keep building his confidence at the moment. Absolutely agree Lowry can influence the game, but I'd be looking to bring him on as a sub instead. I think his creativity can be more impactful against tired legs. 

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Maybe he only struggled a bit when he's started because he was still needing time to settle and find his feet. If you keep coming off the bench and producing the goods you deserve to play from the start eventually.

For me he plays on Saturday, would prefer him to Grant. Has more in his locker and a more intelligent player IMO.

Edited by Chimp

1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I wouldnt be going 3 at back against them at moment. 

Yeah I don't see any positives to it this weekend tbh - could be an aggressive attacking move but only if we played Kingsley at LCB: we won't drop Kye and we've no other LWB, so that's deid.

It's 433 or a variation all day long this weekend for me.

14 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Oh yeah mate itnwas very much IF its Cam + Beni, who is the 3rd type wonderings.

I do wonder if Beni sat out the last 2, having done well v St Mirren, very much with an eye on this weekend...

I think one was the pitch at Killie, wouldn't have risked him on that and then he was ill in the lead up to the game at Dingwall. He looked decent in his hour at St Mirren. If he's fit he has to play for me. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Not for me, we've done this before when he got a series of disappointing and unwarranted starts after the St Johnstone game, Lowry has done really well the last couple of games coming off the bench, and I think we'd be daft to change that. 

Would prefer to keep Grant in and keep building his confidence at the moment. Absolutely agree Lowry can influence the game, but I'd be looking to bring him on as a sub instead. I think his creativity can be more impactful against tired legs. 

At what point to you deserve a start then if you keep producing off the bench? That's the whole point in making a difference and playing well when you come on, to gain your place in the starting 11.

Strange you feel Grant should keep playing to build his confidence but that doesn't apply to Lowry? Surely this is the case for both players.

We are in trouble if we go behind 

Usually I quietly confident playing them at Tynie but this season has shown me that we don’t create too many chances and we can be too possession based. 

I hope there is more pace and tempo in our play 

3 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Usually I quietly confident playing them at Tynie but this season has shown me that we don’t create too many chances and we can be too possession based. 

This will be crucial. It doesn't help that we actually don't have much pace in the side either though. Vargas aside, we really don't have any fast players at all going forward which is evident every time we play. Tagawa and Oda are the only 2 who will add that but are currently injured.

8 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Hibs were obviously miles behind us as at April 2015 but they finished 3 points above Rangers in 2nd that season so it wasn’t meaningless for them. 

Just for us😀

Ah .. forgot.. must have lost play off 

Pasquale for King
11 hours ago, kevin_hmfc said:

The club should’ve mentioned that to the near 4k of us who gave Hibs £100k in ticket revenue that it was meaningless, no derby ever has been. 

11 minutes ago, kevin_hmfc said:

Ah .. forgot.. must have lost play off 

Rangers beat them but lost to Motherwell 😆

27 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Against a good defensive side, I would agree. However, this Hibs team have already shipped 10 goals to our 3 (I appreciate they have scored more - 11 to our 5).

Hibs are pretty top heavy. Their forward players are decent and will cause us some problems. But their MF is average and their defence is poor. If we can control the MF, their defence is there to be got at.

There will definitely be chances for us. And probably a few for them too. It’ll be a typical derby - always impossible to predict how these games will go, particularly when other factors may come into play (dodgy ref calls, VAR etc).

We went behind against a decent Rosenborg side remember, in a big match. The players won’t panic if this happens. But hopefully we score 1st like the last derby and keep their players subdued at the other end (let’s try not to get a red/concede right after scoring this time!).