*** Official St Mirren v Heart Of Midlothian thread ***

Selkirkhmfc1874

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, May one-six said:

Confidence would be useful, arrogance is not. The OF (Celtic in particular) have players who are miles ahead of other teams in the league. We don't. Instead, we have players who are slightly better. However, it seems there are quite a few of our supporters (not you) who expect us to go to other away grounds and smash the opposition. I think the only way we will secure regular away wins is to be a bit more humble and accept that we have to prepare very seriously and work extremely hard during games. If all of our players are better than Motherwell's then they struggled to show it in the recent game at Tynie. We'll see on Saturday how much better they are than those at St Mirren. 

Spot on, we have to be mentally and physically ready and even then we can obviously still be beat. If we show the proper respect to teams and go about our business the right way our qualities should be enough to see us win far more than we have away from home. Motherwell were great tbh, although we still had chances. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Cruyff

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Pasquale for King

I for one dont fear this mob at all. Bar a very very lucky 3 points against Motherwell at the weekend they've only played bottom 6 teams. 

3 points coming back with us

Not confident really, can't shake the fear that a usual away performance is on the cards and we struggle to create. Obviously they will be very optimistic of a result, but if we match their energy then quality we have may shine through

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

They drew 2-2 in Paisley against Aberdeen. Surely that can give us some hope. The codheids are gash. 

We are unbeaten in 4 through there (won 2, drawn 2). 

(and yep, the sheep are howling)IMG_2983.gif.91ee902accc264a68cc2de0434050cc7.gif

We need to be able to go to Paisley and win. If we can’t do these gettable away wins often, we’ll be in with the other piles of shite in this league

Having said that, this has stalemate draw written all over it 

It's not St. Mirren I fear (as if) it's Hearts and our horror show away record that gives me the fear.

We've got 3 away games in 8 days and must show a huge improvement in them. 

4 league points and a semi final berth would be highly acceptable. 

But we won't come close to that if we are our usual, timid away day selves.

I’ll be happy with three points, no red cards and no injuries - in fact being brutally honest I would take that in every away game no matter who we are playing.

We have been gash away from home for years barring the odd really good performance, the home games are where we should shine against all teams…just do enough to get the wins away!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

They drew 2-2 in Paisley against Aberdeen. Surely that can give us some hope. The codheids are gash. 

I think one was a cross that went straight in and the other was a penalty that the guy kicked off one foot onto the other that should’ve been a foul to St Mirren. They were extremely lucky. 

Fozzyonthefence
5 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I understand them perfectly well, my opinion differs to yours, Haring got a piece of the ball, there was no force or malice, and a talking to, which was afforded to Shinnie, when there was no effort to play the ball seconds there would have sufficed.

Jog on

Have you got a link to a clip of Haring’s yellow?  I’ve only seen it at the game and I was certain he was miles away from the ball and just a professional trip from behind.  If he got some of the ball then maybe it would just be a foul rather than yellow but as I said I was pretty sure he was nowhere near the ball.  Agreed there was no force or malice and that’s why it wasn’t a red (similar to his red at St Mirren that got rescinded to yellow).

Shinnie one, if that was the one just after then I was shouting for a yellow at the time although iirc it wasn’t a tackle from behind stopping an attack.  Would be good to see that on tv too.

It's simple, out fight and compete and 90 percent of the time we should come out winners. 

Far too often we go away from home and turn in passive crap, give away cheap goals and inevitably only goal source is from penalties..

Defensively solid first and get the work rate through the roof.

10 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

We are unbeaten in 4 through there (won 2, drawn 2). 

(and yep, the sheep are howling)IMG_2983.gif.91ee902accc264a68cc2de0434050cc7.gif

Wait a minute …………….

27A53AC5-4581-45BF-8E89-EF9D1AED5F0E.webp

12 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Unlikely as the other bus shelters are difficult to segregate.

No chance of it, as you say.

To the right are the Ultras and main stand is ST holders mainly. They have more or less filled it for most home games this season.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

To the right are the Ultras and main stand is ST holders mainly. They have more or less filled it for most home games this season.

Capacity 8,023

Average Attendance

Record Attendance 7,732 (St Mirren v Dundee United (2019))

20 hours ago, Oda be a JT said:

I’ll be happy with three points, no red cards and no injuries - in fact being brutally honest I would take that in every away game no matter who we are playing.

We have been gash away from home for years barring the odd really good performance, the home games are where we should shine against all teams…just do enough to get the wins away!

You’d take three points in every away fixture? 

🤔

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:
Capacity 8,023

Average Attendance

Last home game was 7,492.

A full away end will mean at least that at the weekend. Ergo, no extra tickets !

🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Boab said:

Oh well. Thank you!

If anyone knows of a spare ticket going...

On 19/09/2023 at 11:25, Pasquale for King said:

Celtic lost 2-0 and then won 5-1, Rangers drew 1-1 and won 3-0. Struggled once but won easily the next time. 

The only way we will start getting better at winning away from home is to have the confidence that the uglies have and the demands from the fans that we beat these teams, no matter how small the gap is between us, we are a better team. 
Every one of those players is better than they’re counterparts at St Mirren or Motherwell. 
We also have a great record there recently with 2 wins and 2 draws. 

Just for a wee bit of context....

The 5-1 game mentioned above against Celtic, St. Mirren were comfortably 1-0 up at half time, but had Charles Dunne sent off just before the break. Celtic came out second half and unsurprisingly blew away the 10 men with at least 3 of the goals coming relatively late on. Also worth noting that in our final game against Celtic last season after the split, we drew 2-2 at Parkhead having led twice (second equaliser coming with about 5 minutes remaining). As for the Rangers 3-0 game, that was an absolute dead rubber final game of the season, with neither side having anything to play for. Robinson dropped Trevor Carson to give our young reserve keeper Peter Urminsky a run out and he sadly had a stinker.  No game to gauge anything on.

As a general point though, reading through this thread, despite there being some very sensible posts, it's littered with the usual Jambo misplaced arrogance/delusions of grandeur. The arrogance doesn't bother or surprise me, but what I am surprised about is the level of "ignorance". So many posts about us being a team that "sits in" or "parks the bus". These posters clearly haven't been watching us recently. I can only hope that Naismith shares the same level of ignorance, but I seriously doubt he does.

Last week was a very uncharacteristically poor performance by us and we still walked away comfortably with the 3 points. Any Jambo that comes to Paisley on Saturday thinking they are going to be playing against a stuffy team that parks the bus, is in for a rude awakening.

Confident it'll be 2-0 or 2-1 to the Buds. 

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:
Capacity 8,023

Average Attendance

Not sure where that figure is coming from, but we've only played two home league games this season and the home stands have been sold out for both. Currently only a few hundred tickets left for Saturday so that will sell out too. Last few home games of last season were all pretty much home end sell outs too. 

6 minutes ago, BuddieBoy said:

The 5-1 game mentioned above against Celtic, St. Mirren were comfortably 1-0 up at half time, but had Charles Dunne sent off just before the break. Celtic came out second half and unsurprisingly blew away the 10 men with at least 3 of the goals coming relatively late on. Also worth noting that in our final game against Celtic last season after the split, we drew 2-2 at Parkhead having led twice (second equaliser coming with about 5 minutes remaining). As for the Rangers 3-0 game, that was an absolute dead rubber final game of the season, with neither side having anything to play for. Robinson dropped Trevor Carson to give our young reserve keeper Peter Urminsky a run out and he sadly had a stinker.  No game to gauge anything on.

As a general point though, reading through this thread, despite there being some very sensible posts, it's littered with the usual Jambo misplaced arrogance/delusions of grandeur. The arrogance doesn't bother or surprise me, but what I am surprised about is the level of "ignorance". So many posts about us being a team that "sits in" or "parks the bus". These posters clearly haven't been watching us recently. I can only hope that Naismith shares the same level of ignorance, but I seriously doubt he does.

Last week was a very uncharacteristically poor performance by us and we still walked away comfortably with the 3 points. Any Jambo that comes to Paisley on Saturday thinking they are going to be playing against a stuffy team that parks the bus, is in for a rude awakening.

Not so sure where you get the ignorance part from? Opinions are probably more a perception based on short edited highlights on Sportscene or the likes.

As you will know there has been no love lost between the two sets of fans over the years and a lot of things said are more banter than anything else.

I would have to question why you as a St Mirren fan are coming onto a Hearts Fan Site and writing this sort of stuff in the first place?

I don't think there is any doubt that your team are punching above their weight in terms of wage bill income straeam etc.

I think most Hearts fans will see this fixture as very tough as I do.

11 minutes ago, BuddieBoy said:

Stmirren are a decent side especially at home but you were not comfortable last week. Motherwell had more than enough chances to take points. 

ourrecord in Paisley is average, we haven’t lost many but not won enough either. In all honesty I hope you are right I seriously hope st Mirren do not sit it.  We can’t deal at all with sides who let us have the lions share of the ball.  We are always better against teams who want to come forward and leave spaces in behind. 

as you say one of the tougher games of the early season but will always view defeat as failure.  As for the broader season. We will still finish above saints.  Quite simply we have  a far stronger squad and it’ll tell in the end 

4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Not so sure where you get the ignorance part from? Opinions are probably more a perception based on short edited highlights on Sportscene or the likes.

As you will know there has been no love lost between the two sets of fans over the years and a lot of things said are more banter than anything else.

I would have to question why you as a St Mirren fan are coming onto a Hearts Fan Site and writing this sort of stuff in the first place?

I don't think there is any doubt that your team are punching above their weight in terms of wage bill income straeam etc.

I think most Hearts fans will see this fixture as very tough as I do.

Oh no mate, I very much come in peace (despite the historic issues 😉). I am interested in the views of opposition fans, hence coming onto the forum and just wanted to point out that what appears to be a majority opinion is perhaps a bit outdated. 👍

10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Stmirren are a decent side especially at home but you were not comfortable last week. Motherwell had more than enough chances to take points. 

ourrecord in Paisley is average, we haven’t lost many but not won enough either. In all honesty I hope you are right I seriously hope st Mirren do not sit it.  We can’t deal at all with sides who let us have the lions share of the ball.  We are always better against teams who want to come forward and leave spaces in behind. 

as you say one of the tougher games of the early season but will always view defeat as failure.  As for the broader season. We will still finish above saints.  Quite simply we have  a far stronger squad and it’ll tell in the end 

I'm not saying you won't have more of the ball mate. The possession stats will probably show that you will. However, I think the St. Mirren press will be far further up the pitch that you may be expecting. We try to hassle teams into mistakes in dangerous areas and it works very well. That gets coupled with the more expected hitting on the break style. Also the notion that we play hoofball or are hatchet men is way off the mark. Should be a cracking game though. It usually is. Looking forward to it.

Edited by BuddieBoy

28 minutes ago, BuddieBoy said:

Not sure "the usual Jambo misplaced arrogance/delusions of grandeur" will win you much favour on here.  Remember forums are full of idiocy.  If you want to see a squealing bunch of misinformed and delsuional supporters in Scotland, you'll be hard pressed to find a better example than at a home St Mirren match!

The idea that you are atritional comes from last season when we played you plenty and you basically bullied your way through games with Gogic being tasked with destroying and then pumping long balls for Curtis Main to harry and hussle for.

Hey do not take that as a sleight on you - absolutely nothing wrong it and I'm on here a lot asking for Hearts to do more of this.  Ask questions, you know.  Win the battle.  You have some good footballers in your squad, Strain is excellent and Baccus and O'Hara also good footballers.  But to say last season as our most recent sample you were playing pretty stuff is just silly.  Christ never mind Curtin Main, the guy Grieve spent all of the games I saw committing fouls, barging into everything and throwing himself about looking for fouls to almost embarassing levels.

But as I say, not a fan of "football as it should be played", that's a pile of pish.  St Mirren are a good team, you are effective.  How you go about that, is how you go about that.  Those guys doing ugly things let someone like Strain do his thing.  Oh that includes getting a foul for absolutely effing nothing which you score from, by the way and in the same game your opposition being reduced to 10 men in the most ridiculous fashion - but then you generally need to be doing what you do to get them calls, right?  Like your delusional fans howling like crazed escapees every time one of your players is tackled or the ref gives a throw-in..... just sayin likes

1 minute ago, jtkb said:

Wowser a st liedown fan on here you are either very brave or stupid. By the the way I hate your celtic b team plastic weegie club your fans will never be welcome on here or Edinburgh. Feck off 👍 

Thank you jtkb. Lovely to meet you too. 👍

4 minutes ago, jtkb said:

Wowser a st liedown fan on here you are either very brave or stupid. By the the way I hate your celtic b team plastic weegie club your fans will never be welcome on here or Edinburgh. Feck off 👍 

Oi, play nice, not this guys fault his club let the old firm use their stadium for their own club shop.  I'm sure he's massively embarassed by that.  And by Tony Fitzpatrick's comments during the covid demotion where he said Hearts deserved relegation for being bottom at that point in the season, totally dismissing that St Mirren were bottom by a similar margin the very season before.  Sure he's embarassed by that too.

Leave him alone.

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not sure "the usual Jambo misplaced arrogance/delusions of grandeur" will win you much favour on here.  Remember forums are full of idiocy.  If you want to see a squealing bunch of misinformed and delsuional supporters in Scotland, you'll be hard pressed to find a better example than at a home St Mirren match!

The idea that you are atritional comes from last season when we played you plenty and you basically bullied your way through games with Gogic being tasked with destroying and then pumping long balls for Curtis Main to harry and hussle for.

Hey do not take that as a sleight on you - absolutely nothing wrong it and I'm on here a lot asking for Hearts to do more of this.  Ask questions, you know.  Win the battle.  You have some good footballers in your squad, Strain is excellent and Baccus and O'Hara also good footballers.  But to say last season as our most recent sample you were playing pretty stuff is just silly.  Christ never mind Curtin Main, the guy Grieve spent all of the games I saw committing fouls, barging into everything and throwing himself about looking for fouls to almost embarassing levels.

But as I say, not a fan of "football as it should be played", that's a pile of pish.  St Mirren are a good team, you are effective.  How you go about that, is how you go about that.  Those guys doing ugly things let someone like Strain do his thing.  Oh that includes getting a foul for absolutely effing nothing which you score from, by the way and in the same game your opposition being reduced to 10 men in the most ridiculous fashion - but then you generally need to be doing what you do to get them calls, right?  Like your delusional fans howling like crazed escapees every time one of your players is tackled or the ref gives a throw-in..... just sayin likes

I agree we do all those things mate. I suppose the point I'm making is that we don't ONLY do those things. As you've alluded to, we do have good players and I think we mix it up really well, combining the ugly stuff with the nice to watch stuff. I believe it's the second part we don't get enough credit for. We've also been very different this season. We haven't replaced Main like for like, so the style has changed a bit. Strain and Tanser have both been excellent at getting forward and getting loads of crosses into the box for our forwards. Also the pace of Olusanya (an addittedly raw player) absolutely destroyed Hibs and Aberdeen (incidentally as long as I live I'll never know how the Sheep managed to get a draw that day!).

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, BuddieBoy said:

I agree we do all those things mate. I suppose the point I'm making is that we don't ONLY do those things. As you've alluded to, we do have good players and I think we mix it up really well, combining the ugly stuff with the nice to watch stuff. I believe it's the second part we don't get enough credit for. We've also been very different this season. We haven't replaced Main like for like, so the style has changed a bit. Strain and Tanser have both been excellent at getting forward and getting loads of crosses into the box for our forwards. Also the pace of Olusanya (an addittedly raw player) absolutely destroyed Hibs and Aberdeen (incidentally as long as I live I'll never know how the Sheep managed to get a draw that day!).

Saw your game against the Sheep, thought you played well and tend to agree with you. Tore them a new one in some breaks. Your keeper and defence still look a bit Tom Kite all the same

Even if you did play aggressive last season, tbh, I dont mind, its up to each team to find the best way with the resources.

4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Oi, play nice, not this guys fault his club let the old firm use their stadium for their own club shop.  I'm sure he's massively embarassed by that.  And by Tony Fitzpatrick's comments during the covid demotion where he said Hearts deserved relegation for being bottom at that point in the season, totally dismissing that St Mirren were bottom by a similar margin the very season before.  Sure he's embarassed by that too.

Leave him alone.

Ha Ha. Come on mate you're slipping. You missed lying down to Celtic in 1986! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
8 minutes ago, BuddieBoy said:

They gave it back to you a few years later with a 3-0 gift at Parkhead, very cosy

17 minutes ago, BuddieBoy said:

Thought I'd stick to your current crew!

1 hour ago, BuddieBoy said:

I'm not saying you won't have more of the ball mate. The possession stats will probably show that you will. However, I think the St. Mirren press will be far further up the pitch that you may be expecting. We try to hassle teams into mistakes in dangerous areas and it works very well. That gets coupled with the more expected hitting on the break style. Also the notion that we play hoofball or are hatchet men is way off the mark. Should be a cracking game though. It usually is. Looking forward to it.

I agree. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, BuddieBoy said:

Fair enough, I certainly know that you don’t sit back against the uglies, as we did under that twat from round your parts, and that pressing teams really is the best way to challenge teams with more resources. 

Pasquale for King
22 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Have you got a link to a clip of Haring’s yellow?  I’ve only seen it at the game and I was certain he was miles away from the ball and just a professional trip from behind.  If he got some of the ball then maybe it would just be a foul rather than yellow but as I said I was pretty sure he was nowhere near the ball.  Agreed there was no force or malice and that’s why it wasn’t a red (similar to his red at St Mirren that got rescinded to yellow).

Shinnie one, if that was the one just after then I was shouting for a yellow at the time although iirc it wasn’t a tackle from behind stopping an attack.  Would be good to see that on tv too.

I thought at the time he got the ball and played it off the man which made him fall, but haven’t seen that again. He was lucky the other two challenges were overlooked tbh. 

58 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Fair enough, I certainly know that you don’t sit back against the uglies, as we did under that twat from round your parts, and that pressing teams really is the best way to challenge teams with more resources. 

Likewise for us under Goodwin (and to be honest previous managers). It was painful to watch. Just sitting back and waiting for the inevitable. 
This way sometimes it pays off, more often it won’t, but it sure as hell is better to watch 👍

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, BuddieBoy said:

Likewise for us under Goodwin (and to be honest previous managers). It was painful to watch. Just sitting back and waiting for the inevitable. 
This way sometimes it pays off, more often it won’t, but it sure as hell is better to watch 👍

Absolutely, at least you feel like you’ve tried to beat them. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

The day it's considered arrogant to believe ourselves to be better than St Midden I'll stop watching us. 🤔

This!

4 hours ago, BuddieBoy said:

This is a game whereby any result wouldn’t surprise me. 

We have a decent recent record in Paisley though. We’ve not lost in 4 through there (W2,D2) and have only lost 3 matches there in 10 years, the last defeat being 3 and a half years ago (the record over the last 10 years being; 2 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats). 

These matches are always competitive and usually not much in them.

I think most Hearts fans know St Mirren will attack, particularly given they are at home (I saw the highlights from the recent win at Easter Road and it was a pretty attacking performance there).  This will suit how we play. As others have mentioned, where we’ve struggled a bit recently is against teams who set up with a low block and never break shape.

Oh, and I’ve not read many posts citing arrogance. Unless by arrogance you mean fans having the audacity to predict a win?! 

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

The day it's considered arrogant to believe ourselves to be better than St Midden I'll stop watching us. 🤔

But it is arrogant to believe that all we have to do is turn up to win against them. Over many years of watching Hearts play other sides below us in the pecking order, it has too often looked like that. 

Jambo in Bathgate
9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

But it is arrogant to believe that all we have to do is turn up to win against them. Over many years of watching Hearts play other sides below us in the pecking order, it has too often looked like that. 

It’s arrogant if like on many occasions we don’t turn up. Players should have ambition and start hard and fast. Something we have only done occasionally since Burley was manager. Let’s hope we can return to those times. 

On 18/09/2023 at 08:23, Wee Mikey said:

I think I know what you're getting at and not totally disagreeing, but it's a tad more nuanced than that?

The recent and frustrating 'possession 1st' strategy all too often came unstuck (often in the 1st half) leading to us only becoming more dynamic having conceded due to our own eff ups whether tactical or individual. Sadly, there are all too many examples of that. We really do have a knack of 'doing it to ourselves'.

We really need to be on the front foot for both halves every game. It's not too much to ask? Other managers have played on our propensity for making errors and exploiting that, aided and abetted by other teams relying on (often gifted) set pieces that they've played for, plus arguably laughable reffing.

Thankfully, our defence seems to have improved.

Home v Aberdeen showed that we can beat other teams when a game of football breaks out. 😆

Anyhoo; yes, your notion of us 'worrying about the opposition' is manifested in our sometimes baffling team selections (injuries etc. notwithstanding) and this is where I agree with you. It really should be our opponents worrying about us rather than us overthinking their approach. After all, teams with players who are less gifted (and often giants) are being given every opportunity, whether at throw-ins (where we typically take forever) or when our 'keeper has a chance to launch an attack, to re-group and take up a solid defensive line-up rather than us hit them when they're all out of place.

Does my nut in, so it does. Grrr ...

Ach, I'm expecting Sat to be totally different as Naismith knows fine well how to better a team like St M.

So, we'll (I mean me & all other away stalwarts) be going through on Sat with the usual gusto and looking for a total thrashing for the 'Lie-Doons'. 😆

No doubt that The Gorgie will be there in full voice.

Ps ...  top tip ... get a 'Blaggis Pie' as they put both ours and the over-rated Killie pies to shame. Steak, Haggis, and black-pudding ... arguably not what yer doctor would recommend ... but they're totes yummy. 😁

❤️❤️G❤️

Screenshot_20230918_160900_Gallery.jpg

Available on line here.

Blaggis Pies (Pack of 2) - MacDonald & Son Butchers (macdonaldbutchers.co.uk)

2 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

This is a game whereby any result wouldn’t surprise me. 

We have a decent recent record in Paisley though. We’ve not lost in 4 through there (W2,D2) and have only lost 3 matches there in 10 years, the last defeat being 3 and a half years ago (the record over the last 10 years being; 2 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats). 

These matches are always competitive and usually not much in them.

I think most Hearts fans know St Mirren will attack, particularly given they are at home (I saw the highlights from the recent win at Easter Road and it was a pretty attacking performance there).  This will suit how we play. As others have mentioned, where we’ve struggled a bit recently is against teams who set up with a low block and never break shape.

Oh, and I’ve not read many posts citing arrogance. Unless by arrogance you mean fans having the audacity to predict a win?! 

Yeah as much as we’ve had the Indian sign over you in big games, our league record against you in recent years hasn’t been great. 
That said we should’ve won on your last visit to our place, but for an absolutely massive brain fart by Ryan Flynn in injury time to give you a penalty and the draw. That game felt like the Aberdeen game a couple of weeks ago.