*** Official St Mirren v Heart Of Midlothian thread ***

Selkirkhmfc1874

2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

But it is arrogant to believe that all we have to do is turn up to win against them. Over many years of watching Hearts play other sides below us in the pecking order, it has too often looked like that. 

Aye that’s really what I was getting at. 👍

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Cruyff

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Pasquale for King

3 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

It’s arrogant if like on many occasions we don’t turn up. Players should have ambition and start hard and fast. Something we have only done occasionally since Burley was manager. Let’s hope we can return to those times. 

the only time in my lifetime we absolutely had the right to be arrogant. Becuase, quite simply we had better players than everyone else including in my opinion the old firm.  That’s what enabled us to start hard and fast consistently. We had the players to do it.  

1 hour ago, BuddieBoy said:

Yeah as much as we’ve had the Indian sign over you in big games, our league record against you in recent years hasn’t been great. 
That said we should’ve won on your last visit to our place, but for an absolutely massive brain fart by Ryan Flynn in injury time to give you a penalty and the draw. That game felt like the Aberdeen game a couple of weeks ago. 

I think what made that draw all the more impressive was that for the final 19/20 mins (including injury time), we had to play with 10 men after that mental decision to send Haring off (which was later appealed and reduced to a yellow). Was definitely a crazy decision by Flynn though, to push Gino.

This weekend, I expect another hard fought contest.

1 hour ago, MattyK82 said:

I think what made that draw all the more impressive was that for the final 19/20 mins (including injury time), we had to play with 10 men after that mental decision to send Haring off (which was later appealed and reduced to a yellow). Was definitely a crazy decision by Flynn though, to push Gino.

This weekend, I expect another hard fought contest.

👍

Ricardo Quaresma
On 19/09/2023 at 16:50, Pasquale for King said:

I think one was a cross that went straight in and the other was a penalty that the guy kicked off one foot onto the other that should’ve been a foul to St Mirren. They were extremely lucky. 

I don't know what you mean by that bud; here's the highlights of the game if you want to point to a time on it 👍🙂😄

On 19/09/2023 at 13:57, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I understand them perfectly well, my opinion differs to yours, Haring got a piece of the ball, there was no force or malice, and a talking to, which was afforded to Shinnie, when there was no effort to play the ball seconds there would have sufficed.

Jog on

Haring was preventing a dangerous situation and knew he was getting a yellow.

8 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

the only time in my lifetime we absolutely had the right to be arrogant. Becuase, quite simply we had better players than everyone else including in my opinion the old firm.  That’s what enabled us to start hard and fast consistently. We had the players to do it.  

Exactly. There’s also the slight complication that there’s two teams on the pitch with game plans, tactics and instructions on how to start the game. 

August Landmesser
19 hours ago, wavydavy said:
Capacity 8,023

Average Attendance

Record Attendance 7,732 (St Mirren v Dundee United (2019))

Jesus, that's a tiny ground. I'd assumed it was at least 10k.

The Bournemouth of Scotland (which Paisley has never been described as!)

Ricardo Quaresma
42 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Jesus, that's a tiny ground. I'd assumed it was at least 10k.

The Bournemouth of Scotland (which Paisley has never been described as!)

I always thought it was 10,000 per SFA requirements, could be SPFL, but whatever

Bit stunned they got away with this

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

6 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I always thought it was 10,000 per SFA requirements, could be SPFL, but whatever

-

That’s not been a rule since a couple of clubs were unfairly denied promotion because of their stadium capacity and threatened legal action. Falkirk being one of them. Can’t remember the other 

7 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

-

That rule was done away with. It’s now minimum 6K. Ross Co is 6,541.

Ricardo Quaresma

It's a matter of time before we pump them home and away; robinson is getting sussed by Naismith

The players should be both incensed by the unjust goings on during the away game at the end of last season; the bullshit red card that got rescinded, the referee, who is interestingly on VAR for this game, David Dickinson

Plus they should be motivated to show that it was the situation created by RN and snodgrass, who seemed eager to get red carded and did, at the home game which was always going to get RN sacked if he lost, which is what rightly happened, albeit should have happened after the debacle at shittodrie, however, that's done and all we can do now is win this game

I think we can and will, we only need to do the job right

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 hours ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Haring was preventing a dangerous situation and knew he was getting a yellow.

Winning the ball as he did it, I agree. His reaction though to the yellow is entirely contrary to your suggestion, plus his constant dialogue with Clancy throughout the half when Aberdeen players were not afforded the same harsh treatment.

Does anyone have any other highlights of this game . I was at the match and that is the only time I have seen Harings yellow card and the second one that some are saying he should have been off for . I have watched the BBC and SPFL YouTube highlights and there is nothing . From where I was sitting ( about half way up the main stand less than a metre towards the Roseburn off the centre line ) Haring did not attempt and complete a professional foul . He tried to win the ball after we lost possession . My understanding of a professional foul is when a player commits a cynical yellow card foul as it is the lesser of two evils when it appears the opposition are breaking and a pass or two away from a goal scoring opportunity . Haring looked like he was focussed purely on winning the ball back . The second one it looked like he got something on the ball

Edited by Sooks

11 hours ago, BuddieBoy said:

Yeah as much as we’ve had the Indian sign over you in big games, our league record against you in recent years hasn’t been great. 
That said we should’ve won on your last visit to our place, but for an absolutely massive brain fart by Ryan Flynn in injury time to give you a penalty and the draw. That game felt like the Aberdeen game a couple of weeks ago. 

Hm, no doubt we didnt show up in the first half, and you played us well.  But for all that, you got a goal handed to you just before halftime from a freekick 20 yards out which was nothing like a foul - not in a million years.  Who could look at it and say it was a foul!?  Perhaps Grieve spending the game diving and moaning helped coerce the ref!?

Then obviously the Haring red which is just shocking refereeing.

So should have won, well maybe, but mostly because the officials handed you a huge opportunity.  We played poorly, but upped it in the second half.  If you're so good, perhaps you should have taken your momentum, plus the advantages handed to you and hammered them home?

Who knows what will happen on Saturday and I do agree you are a good team.  Your manager is perhaps the biggest bellend in Scottish football, and in a land of bellends, that's going some, but he has you playing well.  It could come down to a ref again.  As per usual, we're about 8 players short of our best XI, but what we have on the park I'd hope can come away with a win, but it will be far from easy - I've almost got it down as hardest away trip outwith OF this season in truth.

33 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Hm, no doubt we didnt show up in the first half, and you played us well.  But for all that, you got a goal handed to you just before halftime from a freekick 20 yards out which was nothing like a foul - not in a million years.  Who could look at it and say it was a foul!?  Perhaps Grieve spending the game diving and moaning helped coerce the ref!?

Then obviously the Haring red which is just shocking refereeing.

So should have won, well maybe, but mostly because the officials handed you a huge opportunity.  We played poorly, but upped it in the second half.  If you're so good, perhaps you should have taken your momentum, plus the advantages handed to you and hammered them home?

Who knows what will happen on Saturday and I do agree you are a good team.  Your manager is perhaps the biggest bellend in Scottish football, and in a land of bellends, that's going some, but he has you playing well.  It could come down to a ref again.  As per usual, we're about 8 players short of our best XI, but what we have on the park I'd hope can come away with a win, but it will be far from easy - I've almost got it down as hardest away trip outwith OF this season in truth.

I must admit (and obviously I may be bias) but I just don’t get the whole Robinson being a bellend thing. I think he seems like quite a likeable wee guy and is always pretty honest in his post match assessments. 
What’s the problem with him?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

-

They stopped the 10k requirement years ago, which only started so the uglies could get a decent amount of tickets. 

2 minutes ago, BuddieBoy said:

I must admit (and obviously I may be bias) but I just don’t get the whole Robinson being a bellend thing. I think he seems like quite a likeable wee guy and is always pretty honest in his post match assessments. 

He's a fud. Folk in the game don't like him either, unsporting, bitter little tube.

Goodwin (despite his pantomime villain playing career) was and is a good guy, quite like him actually.  Robinson simply not a very likeable guy and you don't find many who disagree as I say on the terraces or in the game.  Barry Robson actually similar and quite surprised they've gone for him - maybe a post-Goodwin thing, keeping up the goodguywank pattern!

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Does anyone have any other highlights of this game . I was at the match and that is the only time I have seen Harings yellow card and the second one that some are saying he should have been off for . I have watched the BBC and SPFL YouTube highlights and there is nothing . From where I was sitting ( about half way up the main stand less than a metre towards the Roseburn off the centre line ) Haring did not attempt and complete a professional foul . He tried to win the ball after we lost possession . My understanding of a professional foul is when a player commits a cynical yellow card foul as it is the lesser of two evils when it appears the opposition are breaking and a pass or two away from a goal scoring opportunity . Haring looked like he was focussed purely on winning the ball back . The second one it looked like he got something on the ball

Not seen it either but the second challenge he took a piece of the ball and then the player, you cant do that nowadays and we were lucky it was outside the box and a yellow card offence so couldn’t be reviewed. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

He's a fud. Folk in the game don't like him either, unsporting, bitter little tube.

Goodwin (despite his pantomime villain playing career) was and is a good guy, quite like him actually.  Robinson simply not a very likeable guy and you don't find many who disagree as I say on the terraces or in the game.  Barry Robson actually similar and quite surprised they've gone for him - maybe a post-Goodwin thing, keeping up the goodguywank pattern!

I take it you’re forgetting what a horrible dirty ***** Goodwin was as a player, some folk say Scott Brown is a good guy off the pitch too?

Worthing Jambo
1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

It's a matter of time before we pump them home and away; robinson is getting sussed by Naismith

The players should be both incensed by the unjust goings on during the away game at the end of last season; the bullshit red card that got rescinded, the referee, who is interestingly on VAR for this game, David Dickinson

Plus they should be motivated to show that it was the situation created by RN and snodgrass, who seemed eager to get red carded and did, at the home game which was always going to get RN sacked if he lost, which is what rightly happened, albeit should have happened after the debacle at shittodrie, however, that's done and all we can do now is win this game

I think we can and will, we only need to do the job right

Don’t forget that they were tipped off that the league would be suspended before the game that resulted in our unfair demotion!

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, BuddieBoy said:

I think the court case with his partner and his tendency to be quite bitter in defeat, as most managers are, makes him seem unlikeable from the outside. I’m sure you feel the same way about Naismith?

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I take it you’re forgetting what a horrible dirty ***** Goodwin was as a player, some folk say Scott Brown is a good guy off the pitch too?

See me brackets mate.  That was him as a player, at the end of the day lots of guys like that, I played with some, absolute scum for 90 minutes, lovelier fella you'll never meet before and after!!!! Christ, Naisy, well known to be one of the game's nice guys, but put him near a football....!!!!!

I've met Scott Brown, seemed a nice enough lad.  I remember meeting Martin O'Neil when he was Celtic manager and I haaaaaaaaaaaaated Martin O'Neil, like HATED him.  I was absolutely gutted cos he was so, so nice!haha

Learnt long ago to separate football villain from real piece of shit.  You get some who are both - McGeady and Lennon spring to mind and I'll bet Morelos isn't a little shit off the park too.  Robinson, actually think he does his job well, but I don't like the bloke.  Wouldn't want him near Hearts.

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

See me brackets mate.  That was him as a player, at the end of the day lots of guys like that, I played with some, absolute scum for 90 minutes, lovelier fella you'll never meet before and after!!!! Christ, Naisy, well known to be one of the game's nice guys, but put him near a football....!!!!!

I've met Scott Brown, seemed a nice enough lad.  I remember meeting Martin O'Neil when he was Celtic manager and I haaaaaaaaaaaaated Martin O'Neil, like HATED him.  I was absolutely gutted cos he was so, so nice!haha

Learnt long ago to separate football villain from real piece of shit.  You get some who are both - McGeady and Lennon spring to mind and I'll bet Morelos isn't a little shit off the park too.  Robinson, actually think he does his job well, but I don't like the bloke.  Wouldn't want him near Hearts.

I agree with the last part, I just don’t think people turn off and on being an arsehole, our manager is just as unpopular now as he was as a player, not that i have a problem with it. 

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

That’s not been a rule since a couple of clubs were unfairly denied promotion because of their stadium capacity and threatened legal action. Falkirk being one of them. Can’t remember the other 

Hamilton maybe ?

12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I agree with the last part, I just don’t think people turn off and on being an arsehole, our manager is just as unpopular now as he was as a player, not that i have a problem with it. 

Oh I duno, I've been both.  Depends where you're willing to tickle me mate!

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Oh I duno, I've been both.  Depends where you're willing to tickle me mate!

Yeah was thinking the same about myself, at work or the football or on here i can be a massive arsehole but completely different at other times 🤪.

2 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

-

It’s been almost 20 years since that was a rule. 

Ok chaps it’s been a pleasure conversing with you. 
I don’t live in Scotland but jumping on a plane to Paisley airport this afternoon and I’ll be at the game on Saturday. Really looking forward to it.

May the best team win (for the avoidance of doubt that’s us 😀)

All the best for the rest of the season and I’m sure you’ll be wishing us luck in the League Cup on Wednesday against the Hibees. Perhaps the only team you hate more than us 🤣.

👍

1 hour ago, BuddieBoy said:

Try saying that to Carson (Goalie now at Dundee) when Robinson dropped him from the squad for last game of 2022/23 season when his family were across from NI to watch him🤷‍♂️. Add to that Robinson was a close friend of Carson!

August Landmesser
3 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

-

Afaik the 10k requirements were scrapped years ago, I think around the time ICT got promoted? 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not seen it either but the second challenge he took a piece of the ball and then the player, you cant do that nowadays and we were lucky it was outside the box and a yellow card offence so couldn’t be reviewed. 

The second one I must surely be getting mixed up with another incident then because I thought it was the one where you heard the contact on the ball quite loudly . Probably am getting it confused with another incident 

4 minutes ago, 2205ian said:

Try saying that to Carson (Goalie now at Dundee) when Robinson dropped him from the squad for last game of 2022/23 season when his family were across from NI to watch him🤷‍♂️. Add to that Robinson was a close friend of Carson!

I was 100% behind Robinson on that argument, as were all St. Mirren fans as far as I could tell. Carson’s family were not over to see him, they were over to see their beloved Huns. It was the last game of the season and Robinson wanted to give Urmnsky a run out.

Carson acted like a big wean in the aftermath. How dare he just assume he’d be playing.

There may be other examples of Robinson being an arsehole that I’m not aware but on this occasion he certainly wasn’t. 

11 minutes ago, BuddieBoy said:

I was 100% behind Robinson on that argument, as were all St. Mirren fans as far as I could tell. Carson’s family were not over to see him, they were over to see their beloved Huns. It was the last game of the season and Robinson wanted to give Urmnsky a run out.

Carson acted like a big wean in the aftermath. How dare he just assume he’d be playing.

There may be other examples of Robinson being an arsehole that I’m not aware but on this occasion he certainly wasn’t. 

Oh dear, hit a raw nerve there!

If they were over to watch the other side of the ugly sisters, would you & SM fans have been a bit more understanding?😂

29 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah was thinking the same about myself, at work or the football or on here i can be a massive arsehole but completely different at other times 🤪.

Don't believe you!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, BuddieBoy said:

He is probably the most blinkered and biased manager in his post match assessment. For example, the game at Tynecastle in January, you sat in your own box for 75 mins, he conveniently forgot all about that and concentrated on having a go the last 10 or 15 mins as if it were a thing the whole game. Total bellend

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, 2205ian said:

Oh dear, hit a raw nerve there!

If they were over to watch the other side of the ugly sisters, would you & SM fans have been a bit more understanding?😂

Depends if they still have their big team's shop open I suppose.

Pasquale for King

I don’t live in Scotland but jumping on a plane to Paisley airport this afternoon and I’ll be at the game on Saturday. Really looking forward to it.

All the best for the rest of the season and I’m sure you’ll be wishing us luck in the League Cup on Wednesday against the Hibees. Perhaps the only team you hate more than us 🤣.

👍

No we hate the uglies more than both of you tbh, but good luck .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . On Wednesday 😜

👍

Hey man, cheers for jumping on jkb - saved me speaking to all these other arseholes!haha

Having lived overseas, there's nowt like flying home to see your team.  Loved it.  Honestly think my love of Hearts got stronger when I was away.

For avoidance of doubt (and perhaps a wee insight into your mind here???), I (and I thinl I can speak for a vast majority of Hearts fans, certainly the hundreds I know personally) hate the OF more than any other team.  Hibs are our rivals, we pity, laugh at and yes at times hate them, but the OF are the biggest evil in Scottish football and perhaps even society.  You're just a koopa to their King Bowzer mate!!!

👍

Giving yourself way too much credit . Nobody thinks about St Mirren until they are due to play them generally 

17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Hey man, cheers for jumping on jkb - saved me speaking to all these other arseholes!haha

Having lived overseas, there's nowt like flying home to see your team.  Loved it.  Honestly think my love of Hearts got stronger when I was away.

For avoidance of doubt (and perhaps a wee insight into your mind here???), I (and I thinl I can speak for a vast majority of Hearts fans, certainly the hundreds I know personally) hate the OF more than any other team.  Hibs are our rivals, we pity, laugh at and yes at times hate them, but the OF are the biggest evil in Scottish football and perhaps even society.  You're just a koopa to their King Bowzer mate!!!

👍👍

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Sooks said:

The second one I must surely be getting mixed up with another incident then because I thought it was the one where you heard the contact on the ball quite loudly . Probably am getting it confused with another incident 

It was on the edge of our box furthest away from me so there might have been a noise, and lets face it Shinnie would go down easily to try and get him sent off.,

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Giving yourself way too much credit . Nobody thinks about St Mirren until they are due to play them generally 

😂

22 hours ago, Gizmo said:

The day it's considered arrogant to believe ourselves to be better than St Midden I'll stop watching us. 🤔

Agreed and very much this!

We should be steamrollering that pile of pish. 

Pathetic club, up there with the like of Hamilton in terms of pointlessness. 

18 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Well put.

Tough away days, even for big clubs playing small ones, is a standard feature of football anywhere in the world. Barcelona and Real Madrid lost away games to Girona, Raya Vallecano, and Almeria last season and no one threw a fit about that.

In most leagues, 2 points per game will see you near the top of the table at the end of the season, and you can do that by winning your all your home matches and drawing all your away matches. Obviously no one does that strictly but it shows how the fans of very few clubs have any right to throw a fit if an away day in the league, even at a small club, doesn't come back as a win.

Burley's first dropped points were at Falkirk, for that matter.

Ricardo Quaresma
5 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

It’s been almost 20 years since that was a rule. 

Not sure it's no longer a rule; ICT were excepted, as were others

I think any clubs wanting the same have to submit a request

Unless you have an article stating otherwise; do you?

Ricardo Quaresma
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I would say that our manager's rage, if any, ends with the final whistle, but last time I looked, robinson still had the child brain connected to the rage