Sporting Director ( merged )

heatonjambo

6 minutes ago, FerryJambo81 said:

😂

I meant SMJ was believable and well written, no confirming or denying the quality of your own prose 😂

Joking aside, quoted you based on two succinct and solid questions. 👍

Only kidding , I do not mind taking the piss out of my self when it is deserved :lol: 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• OTT

• heatonjambo

• Ricardo Quaresma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

So how many games does he get?

Until we're bottom of the league?

He has the next four games. 

If he fails to win in the league in those games with a marked up turn in performances and we go out the cup, then he has to go. 

Does not matter of you are a rookie coach or what you achieved as a player, no Hearts head coach gets 7 games outside the OF without a win. 

Dougie Masterton
4 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

This will be my last reply on the subject as there’s too many people reading too much into this and drawing their own conclusions. Not just from my previous posts but wild accusations that have no substance and wouldn’t hold water of any kind.

Steven Naismith is an up and coming coach with a great  vision of how he wants to play football. This much is true. People having a go at Anne, Andrew and Joe and personally attacking them without certain aspects or facts, call them what you want is without foundation. Calling for a change of management after 4 league games is utterly preposterous and makes us all look very ‘Hibs.’ 

Andrew McKinley as CEO answers to the board and the board only. Everyone else below board level answers to Andrew. Andrew recommended appointments to the board but as it was a board decision then Steven got the job on his own merit. He was recommended to the board by Anne and it was James Anderson conducting his interview. Many factors swung it for Naismith and the biggest was the way he conducted himself in the interview process. Other factors were at play but they weren’t the sole reason. Now you can call this interference by Anne but it was merely a recommendation and the vote was a democratic one which everyone abided by once taken. 

Gordon Forrest by all accounts is a very good and knowledgeable assistant and as he was on the payroll it’s was decided to keep him on. Jig was a yes man for Robbie and a lackey at best. He thought he was untouchable as him and Robbie’s are pals off the park and golfing buddies to boot. Frank McAvoy was at the academy and had the necessary license required for Europe and was promoted because another assistant was required. These are  the facts. JKB masses putting their own spin on things as per usual.

If Naisy had left, or we let him walk out the door and he became a success at St Mirren then can you imagine the seethe that we let a brilliant up and coming manager walk for free? Especially when we are crying out for someone like him. Experienced coaches and backroom teams don’t come cheap and we’d have had to pay off GF and FM regardless. So logistically and financially it made perfect sense and stil does. There’s no secret from within who Naisy wants and doesn’t want and it’s evident who’s in and who’ll be out whiteout stating the obvious. People can draw their own conclusions or assumptions as they is usually do anyway. 

Anne doesn’t interfere with any playing side and the buck stops with Andrew and ultimately Joe as AM’s sporting director. She does have a vote and certain influence within the board but no more than that. Financially we have to eventually turn a profit without benefactors donations and that’s where the club are headed, hence the hotel and other commercial enterprises. James Anderson is entrepreneurial and he’s asking the club to be entrepreneurial so we can eventually stand on our own two feet. I’m sure once he sees we can do this then his job is complete. Of course we need a successful team on the park for a lot of this to work so decisions are not taken lightly at board level. 

I believe this squad when fully fit is capable of third place. January window should see us strengthen with comings and goings. We need to keep touch with the leading pack just now and build our focus now that European distractions won’t diminish our endeavours. It’s not rocket science really. Give our team and manager a chance to get it right without calling for his head after every point dropped. Likewise with the board and what they’re trying to achieve in the long term.

Every single one of us are disappointed including manager, boardroom, CEO and sporting director but give them time and it’ll come good and this is not a ‘jam tomorrow’ statement.  Far too many on here with short memories of 10 years ago. 

You know for a guy who knows so much about the inner workings of the club, why can’t you get Ann Budge’s name correct? 

gorgieshuffle
9 minutes ago, gorgieshuffle said:

So Budge who has supposedly taken a step back from the football side of decision making, appointing McKinley and who also has a Sporting Director  pushed for SN to get the job and went against the opinions of the clubs CEO and Sporting Director? And she seemingly doesn’t interfere with the playing side. The buck stops with Savage and McKinley?

Ok then. Makes sense! 

I’m not actually doubting the potential of the accuracy of this scenario, just pointing out the contradiction. With the boards failure to get key footballing decisions correct, it’s possibly an example of why they make such an arse of things. 

Why have a director of football if he doesn’t oversee the hiring of the first team coach?  

Seems wrong to me that the board would make these decisions, rather than the DOF or the CEO.  I fully understand that the board would set the budget for hiring the management team, but surely they aren’t voting on managers?

People questioning why James Anderson is involved in the interview process?

He is our main benefactor, poured millions into the club, why would he not want an input ?

If it was me I would want my say too, I’d want to know where my investment was going to.

Why would anyone question that ?

btw I find SMJs explanation highly plausible 

6 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

He is our main benefactor, poured millions into the club, why would he not want an input ?

If it was me I would want my say too, I’d want to know where my investment was going to.

But is his input not to do with infrastructure and community projects?

42 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Only kidding , I do not mind taking the piss out of my self when it is deserved :lol: 

Ha, an increasingly rare thing these days sadly.

3 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

But is his input not to do with infrastructure and community projects?

People like James Anderson did not get where they are without knowing as much as is possible that is going on in there company 

6 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

People like James Anderson did not get where they are without knowing as much as is possible that is going on in there company 

To the best of my knowledge he’s never owned his own company?

4 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

This will be my last reply on the subject as there’s too many people reading too much into this and drawing their own conclusions. Not just from my previous posts but wild accusations that have no substance and wouldn’t hold water of any kind.

Steven Naismith is an up and coming coach with a great  vision of how he wants to play football. This much is true. People having a go at Anne, Andrew and Joe and personally attacking them without certain aspects or facts, call them what you want is without foundation. Calling for a change of management after 4 league games is utterly preposterous and makes us all look very ‘Hibs.’ 

Andrew McKinley as CEO answers to the board and the board only. Everyone else below board level answers to Andrew. Andrew recommended appointments to the board but as it was a board decision then Steven got the job on his own merit. He was recommended to the board by Anne and it was James Anderson conducting his interview. Many factors swung it for Naismith and the biggest was the way he conducted himself in the interview process. Other factors were at play but they weren’t the sole reason. Now you can call this interference by Anne but it was merely a recommendation and the vote was a democratic one which everyone abided by once taken. 

Gordon Forrest by all accounts is a very good and knowledgeable assistant and as he was on the payroll it’s was decided to keep him on. Jig was a yes man for Robbie and a lackey at best. He thought he was untouchable as him and Robbie’s are pals off the park and golfing buddies to boot. Frank McAvoy was at the academy and had the necessary license required for Europe and was promoted because another assistant was required. These are  the facts. JKB masses putting their own spin on things as per usual.

If Naisy had left, or we let him walk out the door and he became a success at St Mirren then can you imagine the seethe that we let a brilliant up and coming manager walk for free? Especially when we are crying out for someone like him. Experienced coaches and backroom teams don’t come cheap and we’d have had to pay off GF and FM regardless. So logistically and financially it made perfect sense and stil does. There’s no secret from within who Naisy wants and doesn’t want and it’s evident who’s in and who’ll be out whiteout stating the obvious. People can draw their own conclusions or assumptions as they is usually do anyway. 

Anne doesn’t interfere with any playing side and the buck stops with Andrew and ultimately Joe as AM’s sporting director. She does have a vote and certain influence within the board but no more than that. Financially we have to eventually turn a profit without benefactors donations and that’s where the club are headed, hence the hotel and other commercial enterprises. James Anderson is entrepreneurial and he’s asking the club to be entrepreneurial so we can eventually stand on our own two feet. I’m sure once he sees we can do this then his job is complete. Of course we need a successful team on the park for a lot of this to work so decisions are not taken lightly at board level. 

I believe this squad when fully fit is capable of third place. January window should see us strengthen with comings and goings. We need to keep touch with the leading pack just now and build our focus now that European distractions won’t diminish our endeavours. It’s not rocket science really. Give our team and manager a chance to get it right without calling for his head after every point dropped. Likewise with the board and what they’re trying to achieve in the long term.

Every single one of us are disappointed including manager, boardroom, CEO and sporting director but give them time and it’ll come good and this is not a ‘jam tomorrow’ statement.  Far too many on here with short memories of 10 years ago. 

Thanks for taking the time to do these posts - they are very informative and plausible. 

If anything though, the majority Board decision to override AMcK's recommendation (to try to appoint Mr. XXXXXXX   as manager) on the basis of cost  is slightly worrying though, even if SN gave a good interview and there was an in-house bias towards him. 

I think there's a majority view on here (and I support it) that investing in a high-performing manager & coach  is far more likely to benefit the club than investing the same money in 2 or 3 big-name players.    We've shown  ambition to build new long-term  revenue streams (hotel, skyline, lounges etc), so why not match that ambition with funding a properly researched manager with experience of improving the effectiveness of players and building a formidable squad at a similarly-sized club.    I've no idea who AMcK recommended, but such  people must exist somewhere in the football world.

Meanwhile we can only hope that Naisy hits the ground running when he becomes the Head Coach/Manager and demonstrates his own skills at improving the effectiveness of the team

If he does that, a bigger club will want to take him - and I really hope that Hearts think big  when replacing him.

i wonder who we initially “wanted” if SMJ is correct. Don’t think ( and i could be wrong) you a referring to cifuentes as i think he applied for the job? 

36 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Thanks for taking the time to do these posts - they are very informative and plausible. 

If anything though, the majority Board decision to override AMcK's recommendation (to try to appoint Mr. XXXXXXX   as manager) on the basis of cost  is slightly worrying though, even if SN gave a good interview and there was an in-house bias towards him. 

I think there's a majority view on here (and I support it) that investing in a high-performing manager & coach  is far more likely to benefit the club than investing the same money in 2 or 3 big-name players.    We've shown  ambition to build new long-term  revenue streams (hotel, skyline, lounges etc), so why not match that ambition with funding a properly researched manager with experience of improving the effectiveness of players and building a formidable squad at a similarly-sized club.    I've no idea who AMcK recommended, but such  people must exist somewhere in the football world.

Meanwhile we can only hope that Naisy hits the ground running when he becomes the Head Coach/Manager and demonstrates his own skills at improving the effectiveness of the team

If he does that, a bigger club will want to take him - and I really hope that Hearts think big  when replacing him.

My own interpretation of SMJ_1874 posts was that in the future, once all of these infrastructure projects start generating full revenue streams that we will be in a position to probably look to do exactly what you have said and above.

Its starting to become apparent that the benefactor/s that we have in place won't be here for ever, and in the meantime are doing everything that they can and to get the club to a point of self-sustainability. At that same point and when they eventually stop contributing it would make perfect sense that they would exit, but only at the time the club had maximised every single revenue stream and they had fulfilled their purpose.   

If the suggestion from AM to go and appoint a preferred managerial candidate and backroom team was put forward but then was subsequently rebuffed by the board it looks like it was a timing issue more than anything else. 

If true and there is no reason for me to doubt it, I am actually glad in a way that some of the board members wanted to go all out, no expenses spared, and bring in a brand new management team. 

Just to demonstrate, if anything else, that there is still a relative ambition in place to do something like that.

In the meantime Naismith has to get the squad together, and quickly, and to get this current situation reversed. 

TBH whether it is Naismith, Cifuentes, Wilder or Mickey ****ing mouse it would not be an easy job to get a tune out of this squad. For me the main issue is that the standard/balance of players recruited in Savage's tenure has not been good enough. We have gone all round the world to recruit journeymen of average or below average ability that lack the requisite physical attributes to compete in our league. It has been more miss than hit. Motherwell have assembled a squad of players from the lower English and Scottish leagues that easily deserved their win at Tynecastle with only ten men for a decent part of the game. We struggled to break down a Dundee team fresh out of the championship. Yes we have injuries to key players but those were sustained some time ago with inadequate cover brought in.  I would suggest it is time to go Joe. Recruitment is possibly the most important part of the footballing side and we have far more in terms of resources than most in the league bar the OF. We should be leading the way not struggling against newly promoted Dundee.

6 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Just wanted to say, this was a great post and extremely informative. Thanks for sharing :) 

6 hours ago, jbee647 said:

The fans, through FoH have paid in more.  Was an FoH representative involved in the interview process?

Edited by Paolo

7 hours ago, jbee647 said:

He’s a non executive director and therefore not supposed to be involved in the day to day running of the company.

5 hours ago, hisnameis said:

TBH whether it is Naismith, Cifuentes, Wilder or Mickey ****ing mouse it would not be an easy job to get a tune out of this squad. For me the main issue is that the standard/balance of players recruited in Savage's tenure has not been good enough. We have gone all round the world to recruit journeymen of average or below average ability that lack the requisite physical attributes to compete in our league. It has been more miss than hit. Motherwell have assembled a squad of players from the lower English and Scottish leagues that easily deserved their win at Tynecastle with only ten men for a decent part of the game. We struggled to break down a Dundee team fresh out of the championship. Yes we have injuries to key players but those were sustained some time ago with inadequate cover brought in.  I would suggest it is time to go Joe. Recruitment is possibly the most important part of the footballing side and we have far more in terms of resources than most in the league bar the OF. We should be leading the way not struggling against newly promoted Dundee.

The more people who realise this guy is a fraud the better. Scouring the globe for value for money, where about like?

Findlay, O'Donnell and whoever the hell Dundee have got have shown up his recruitment so far this season. Plenty more to go.

The much laughed at suggestion of Stuart Findlay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kye Rowles.

Leveins Battalion
12 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

The more people who realise this guy is a fraud the better. Scouring the globe for value for money, where about like?

Findlay, O'Donnell and whoever the hell Dundee have got have shown up his recruitment so far this season. Plenty more to go.

The much laughed at suggestion of Stuart Findlay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kye Rowles.

To be fair I watched Killie on Saturday and Findlay was honking but I get you,out the thousands of 6 ft 4 centre halfs in the World we picked a weedy skinny ginger surfer kid.

It's becoming more amd more apparent that the problem is recruitment. 

Far to many speculative project signings like Tagawa, Oda, Vargas , Nuewenoff .

We are paying good money for players based on stats that look totally unsuited to the Scottish game.

The squad looks weak technically,  physicality and mental. 

Added to that we have a rookie coaching trying to get a tune out of  them. Speaking to workmates yesterday and everyone of us agreed we could be in real trouble this season. Depressing stuff.

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

We are paying good money for players based on stats that look totally unsuited to the Scottish game.

Added to that we have a rookie coaching trying to get a tune out of  them. Speaking to workmates yesterday and everyone of us agreed we could be in real trouble this season. Depressing stuff.

You are 100٪ correct and we can spout it till we are Red in the face,but the fact is that our Board will not act again until it's far too late and some fans will never see any wrongdoings at the Club,call it Blind Faith,Maroon Specs whatever you want but there is an element (higher than the real world on here) who won't accept the failures of Hearts.

8 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Is James Anderson even a football fan? I have heard conflicting stories. If so, what qualifies him to be able to bring in the best possible football manager through an interview process?

I like Scottish International rugby but not a huge rugby fan in general and I know little of club rugby. I certainly would not be best placed to interviewing the next Scotland manager.

We are clearly hirining nice managers who will be able to work under Budge and that is it. Not who is best for Hearts.

21 minutes ago, ramrod said:

It’s been apparent since last summers window, but god forbid anyone dared to call that out on here. 

13 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Calling for a change of management after 4 league games is utterly preposterous and makes us all look very ‘Hibs.’ 

This is the one glaring part of your post that isn't accurate...

Naismith and the committee have been in charge a total of 20 games now, to state that its simply 4 games is slightly disingenuous. 

Of those 20 games, they've won a total of 6 games (Ross County, Aberdeen, Rosenborg and Thistle at home, St Johnstone and Fleetwood away).

They've drawn 5 (Hibs and Kilmarnock at home and St Mirren, Rangers and Dunfermline away).

Whilst they've lost 9 (Celtic, Motherwell, Leeds, PAOK at home and Hibs, Dundee, Rosenborg, PAOK and Plymouth away).

The main concern for myself, is that the style of football in the Hibs games and the games so far this season bears an uncanny resemblance to the style of football played by both Levein and Neilson. 

Turgid, sideways and backwards passing around the back...slow, ponderous football that bears little to no resemblance to the football Naismith claimed his team would play (attacking, forward thinking football). How many times have we now heard Naismith exclaim in the post match interview that the players need to be braver and take risks (its happened now several times)?

If that's his message into the players and the way he's asking them to play, then why aren't they listening to the Manager's instructions? 

The common denominator is the style of football being played...its now been happening for years (apart from a few games were we actually do play in the way Naismith has described - during both Neilson's and Naismith's time in charge), so who or what is causing us to play in this way?

41 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Yep, there is nothing wrong with project style signings. But its something that needs to be tempered. Honestly, I don't know why we signed Hof. After Grant & Kio both not working out, common sense dictates we needed someone we knew could hit the ground running. Devlin and Haring both possess the same limitations in being poor at forward balls. 

I hope we can keep pace with those in 3rd and then come the Winter window enhance the team to snatch 3rd in the 2nd half of the season. 

13 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

This is the one glaring part of your post that isn't accurate...

Naismith and the committee have been in charge a total of 20 games now, to state that its simply 4 games is slightly disingenuous. 

Of those 20 games, they've won a total of 6 games (Ross County, Aberdeen, Rosenborg and Thistle at home, St Johnstone and Fleetwood away).

They've drawn 5 (Hibs and Kilmarnock at home and St Mirren, Rangers and Dunfermline away).

Whilst they've lost 9 (Celtic, Motherwell, Leeds, PAOK at home and Hibs, Dundee, Rosenborg, PAOK and Plymouth away).

The main concern for myself, is that the style of football in the Hibs games and the games so far this season bears an uncanny resemblance to the style of football played by both Levein and Neilson. 

Turgid, sideways and backwards passing around the back...slow, ponderous football that bears little to no resemblance to the football Naismith claimed his team would play (attacking, forward thinking football). How many times have we now heard Naismith exclaim in the post match interview that the players need to be braver and take risks (its happened now several times)?

If that's his message into the players and the way he's asking them to play, then why aren't they listening to the Manager's instructions? 

The common denominator is the style of football being played...its now been happening for years (apart from a few games were we actually do play in the way Naismith has described - during both Neilson's and Naismith's time in charge), so who or what is causing us to play in this way?

I did state 4 league games and these refer to this seasons games. I didn’t hear anyone calling for Naisys head during his caretaker tenure so hence I’ve started it from this season only. 

I wholeheartedly agree with your post though on every other aspect. I can only put it down to the defensive minded Levein and Neilson era. They spun us a yarn about possession football and stats that only an imbecile could be fooled. We are now calling out the club on this turgid style of play but the major flaw we have at the moment is, we have the majority of the same Neilson squad still kicking around the orium who were programmed to play that way and until the playing squad is overhauled then we won’t see too much improvement unless certain players are left on the sidelines.

In my own humble opinion, Boycie and Haring are finished. I wouldn’t give them more than a cameo tops. Halliday and Forrest not good enough and should never have been signed. Jorge Grant is a head scratcher but when he’s been given a chance he’s failed at every turn. We’ve been waiting on him coming good but I think patience has run out now. Sibbick is another one that has certain attributes but won’t take us to the level we desire. File Kingsley and Rowles under that too. Both have lost their confidence and are error prone although Kingsley showed improvement in his few games so far. Beni is made of chocolate and I doubt he’ll ever recover let alone play this season. Devlin has tenacity and is great in the tackle but can’t pass it more than 5 yards. Zander Clark was our back up keeper and there’s a reason no one came in for him. Another who makes stupid mistakes. 

Now take all these out our squad as we need better replacements at a cost of millions. Oda, Tagawa and Vargas are young, quick  foreign players that need a bit of time to adjust to our game and a bit of experience and I’m sure they’ll come good. 

There’s a whole team there and if we continue with the backbone of our spine ie Clark, Rowles, Haring and Boycie then I think you’ve answered your own question. You can’t play a fast pace attacking brand of football with those players so as soon  as I seen the line up on Sunday I knew it was an afternoon of misery that would unfold before our eyes. Look at the brand of football Ange Postacoglu brought to Celtic and copy his vision. He was one for the high press and win the ball back at all costs. Never stop chasing or harassing and force their defence to make mistakes. You seriously don’t think we can do that with Shanks and Boycie upfront? Our forward line is the first line of defence or at least it should be. 

Naisy will need to box clever with this squad and keep us in touch until we can ship some out and get the quality players we’ve been promised in as replacements. I’m sure he knows what he’s doing and the failed experiments so far are just that……failure! 

Two free agency players of quality could steady the bows for now and with the limited quality that we do have, should hopefully see us over the line. My own gut feeling is another season of disappointment though. 

Jambo in Bathgate
9 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

I did state 4 league games and these refer to this seasons games. I didn’t hear anyone calling for Naisys head during his caretaker tenure so hence I’ve started it from this season only. 

I wholeheartedly agree with your post though on every other aspect. I can only put it down to the defensive minded Levein and Neilson era. They spun us a yarn about possession football and stats that only an imbecile could be fooled. We are now calling out the club on this turgid style of play but the major flaw we have at the moment is, we have the majority of the same Neilson squad still kicking around the orium who were programmed to play that way and until the playing squad is overhauled then we won’t see too much improvement unless certain players are left on the sidelines.

In my own humble opinion, Boycie and Haring are finished. I wouldn’t give them more than a cameo tops. Halliday and Forrest not good enough and should never have been signed. Jorge Grant is a head scratcher but when he’s been given a chance he’s failed at every turn. We’ve been waiting on him coming good but I think patience has run out now. Sibbick is another one that has certain attributes but won’t take us to the level we desire. File Kingsley and Rowles under that too. Both have lost their confidence and are error prone although Kingsley showed improvement in his few games so far. Beni is made of chocolate and I doubt he’ll ever recover let alone play this season. Devlin has tenacity and is great in the tackle but can’t pass it more than 5 yards. Zander Clark was our back up keeper and there’s a reason no one came in for him. Another who makes stupid mistakes. 

Now take all these out our squad as we need better replacements at a cost of millions. Oda, Tagawa and Vargas are young, quick  foreign players that need a bit of time to adjust to our game and a bit of experience and I’m sure they’ll come good. 

There’s a whole team there and if we continue with the backbone of our spine ie Clark, Rowles, Haring and Boycie then I think you’ve answered your own question. You can’t play a fast pace attacking brand of football with those players so as soon  as I seen the line up on Sunday I knew it was an afternoon of misery that would unfold before our eyes. Look at the brand of football Ange Postacoglu brought to Celtic and copy his vision. He was one for the high press and win the ball back at all costs. Never stop chasing or harassing and force their defence to make mistakes. You seriously don’t think we can do that with Shanks and Boycie upfront? Our forward line is the first line of defence or at least it should be. 

Naisy will need to box clever with this squad and keep us in touch until we can ship some out and get the quality players we’ve been promised in as replacements. I’m sure he knows what he’s doing and the failed experiments so far are just that……failure! 

Two free agency players of quality could steady the bows for now and with the limited quality that we do have, should hopefully see us over the line. My own gut feeling is another season of disappointment though. 

Varga and Devlin were the only ones on Sunday being in players faces. Certainly the second half was better. But Motherwell became Livingstonesque and threw their bodies on the line. The goal we lost was a passing move from back to front that no one intercepted. Poor goal to lose. 

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Vargas and Tagawa don't look unsuited to the Scottish game.

10 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

I agree with much of what you've said above regarding players...Boyce, Haring, Halliday, Forrest, Rowles and Grant are all not good enough. 

Devlin, Sibbick, Kingsley and the much maligned Atkinson...I'd keep personally, as I think they offer something to the squad. 

Vargas, Tagawa and Oda have all shown promise, however...and in particular Oda seems to becoming infected with whatever turgid instructions are being handed out and is starting to look like a shadow of the attacking/exciting player we started to see.

The main issue I have, is that all of us can see the players that are not good enough...so that is a MASSIVE failing on the recruitment of the club this summer (of which we are led to believe Naismith had a major input). 

Why were some players who are clearly nowhere near good enough not moved on/released?

Why didn't we sign a creative CM - Hoff is clearly not a creative CM?

Why, if there are concerns about certain players that are 'programmed' by previous regimes to play a certain way...have they not been moved on, particularly if they're having a negative impact on the way Naismith is asking the team to play?

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and seems indicative of a club that is in essence 'coasting' on the playing side with a jam tomorrow attitude (the next window we will sort all the issues...then the next, then the next and so on)?!

6 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

A good measured and realistic post, the Postacoglu pressing model is one that can and does work in Scotland. We can go down this route but your right the core of our team are past it or too immobile for that style. I've also felt, with others that our fitness is poor, ''the pressing style'' enhances fitness. We are standing off, static and a sitting target, possession is an attempt to cover our failings. Oda, Vargas and Tagawa types can be a success but not the way we play, Gino actually could have been so much better for us. He showed it all too infrequently when a decent ball was played in front of him. He was no automatic plck, ''not the right type''. The three previously mentioned new signings need that ball and not to be tracking back trying to pick up crumbs. As soon as ''the Press'' is mentioned the Stendel era crops up, it is an irrelevant argument. He had no chance with the squad, their fitness and what was ingrained in them.

Cruickie's Moustache

As everyone is saying it is our slow build up that is killing us.

While I accept it is sometimes hard for us to break down a team with 11 behind the ball the way Motherwell ended the game on Sunday, they and other SPL teams don't have Beckenbauers playing at CH.

When put under pressure they can be just as clumsy and uncomfortable on the ball as Rowles and Kent.

So when they have possession at the back we have to press with our fast players.

Yes have Shankland in the middle but the younger faster players like Vargas, Oda, Tagawa, Lowry etc  should be all over the place chasing them down.

Shanks and Boyce can't do that.

Same when we gain possession, we have to counter quickly. No point in playing possession football and letting a well drilled team like Kettlewell' s pack the box and throw bodies in front of every attack.

We must start hitting these guys sharpish when they are on the back foot.

Its not going to happen with Haring in the central role along with players not moving for forward passes.

All we have at present is trying to give Grant a go or persist with Denholm to give us some dynamism in the middle of the park.

1 hour ago, Deviskan said:

I agree with much of what you've said above regarding players...Boyce, Haring, Halliday, Forrest, Rowles and Grant are all not good enough. 

Devlin, Sibbick, Kingsley and the much maligned Atkinson...I'd keep personally, as I think they offer something to the squad. 

Vargas, Tagawa and Oda have all shown promise, however...and in particular Oda seems to becoming infected with whatever turgid instructions are being handed out and is starting to look like a shadow of the attacking/exciting player we started to see.

The main issue I have, is that all of us can see the players that are not good enough...so that is a MASSIVE failing on the recruitment of the club this summer (of which we are led to believe Naismith had a major input). 

Why were some players who are clearly nowhere near good enough not moved on/released?

Why didn't we sign a creative CM - Hoff is clearly not a creative CM?

Why, if there are concerns about certain players that are 'programmed' by previous regimes to play a certain way...have they not been moved on, particularly if they're having a negative impact on the way Naismith is asking the team to play?

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and seems indicative of a club that is in essence 'coasting' on the playing side with a jam tomorrow attitude (the next window we will sort all the issues...then the next, then the next and so on)?!

Its a bit unfair to class Boycie, Halliday and Haring as "not good enough" - they clearly have been good enough up till a year or so  ago, its just that they're getting older & slower (like all of us 😉)

Have we actually seen enough of Hoff to make a judgement yet ?  I've only seen him against Partick - nothing spectacular, but equally nothing to suggest he's sh1te either.   A bit like Grant.

2 hours ago, ramrod said:

I think the disconnect between what the manager has looked for  and what the recruitment team have delivered has been questionable for a few years.    Aaron McEneff  being a good example - JS described him as a box-to-box midfielder who would bring energy to our attacks ....... and while he was decent,  we didn't witness anything Hartley-esque  about him.   

Did Robbie ask for a Hartley and JS failed to find one and just went for McEneff as a poor substitute instead ?  Or did JS actually believe that McEneff  was  better than he turned out to be ?

Just now, Lone Striker said:

Its a bit unfair to class Boycie, Halliday and Haring as "not good enough" - they clearly have been good enough up till a year or so  ago, its just that they're getting older & slower (like all of us 😉)

Have we actually seen enough of Hoff to make a judgement yet ?  I've only seen him against Partick - nothing spectacular, but equally nothing to suggest he's sh1te either.   A bit like Grant.

I never noted Hoff wasn't good enough...I said he doesn't look like a creative midfielder.

Its in now way unfair to class Boyce, Halliday and Haring as not good enough...they may well have been decent a few seasons ago, but I prefer to live in the now...and in the now, they are all bang average, slow players that completely and utterly slow our passing game down. 

Boyce holds onto the ball far, far too long...he seems to think he has Messi-like feet where he can skip through players at will. In reality what happens is he holds onto the ball too long and it gets taken off him time and again. He also bottles a fairly high percentage of chances he gets to score. 

Haring is the same, he slows our play down...and prefers to play sideways or backwards passes...and continually dithers on the ball. 

Halliday is probably the worst of the lot...he should never have been signed in the first place. I also agree with what other posters say, a current player shouldn't be constantly talking about his love for another club in media/social media etc. 

You noted all three were good enough up to a year ago (in your opinion)...why that has any relevance I have no idea, are you saying that we should keep players indefinitely when its fairly clear they're past their use by date?

3 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

I never noted Hoff wasn't good enough...I said he doesn't look like a creative midfielder.

Its in now way unfair to class Boyce, Halliday and Haring as not good enough...they may well have been decent a few seasons ago, but I prefer to live in the now...and in the now, they are all bang average, slow players that completely and utterly slow our passing game down. 

Boyce holds onto the ball far, far too long...he seems to think he has Messi-like feet where he can skip through players at will. In reality what happens is he holds onto the ball too long and it gets taken off him time and again. He also bottles a fairly high percentage of chances he gets to score. 

Haring is the same, he slows our play down...and prefers to play sideways or backwards passes...and continually dithers on the ball. 

Halliday is probably the worst of the lot...he should never have been signed in the first place. I also agree with what other posters say, a current player shouldn't be constantly talking about his love for another club in media/social media etc. 

You noted all three were good enough up to a year ago (in your opinion)...why that has any relevance I have no idea, are you saying that we should keep players indefinitely when its fairly clear they're past their use by date?

Aye, ok then. 😏

Just now, Lone Striker said:

Aye, ok then. 😏

Ooooooo an emoticon paired with a whiff of condescendence...touche, your wit is way in excess of what I can provide a witty response to. 

16 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

I believe this squad when fully fit is capable of third place.

It’s not rocket science really. Give our team and manager a chance to get it right without calling for his head after every point dropped. Likewise with the board and what they’re trying to achieve in the long term.

So, this isn't a "jam tomorrow" statement but we've just got to hang on until January and everything will be OK? 

Right you are then! 😂

It’s clear once again with Joe Savage that we’ve exited another window without the required additions. 

And I also think his poor work from previous windows is starting to compound itself - guys signed on decent money (eg Grant) who now cant be shifted on to make way for what the squad needs.

I’d be asking the board to light a fire under him, if only they weren’t 100% complicit in this mess also ffs

Dougie Masterton
On 03/09/2023 at 21:28, SMJ_1874 said:

He was out voted when all the facts were laid bare. Salary, compensation, whole new backroom team and their salaries etc. 

We’ve got a hotel to finish doncha know? The long game is to have multiple commercial and sustainable revenue streams as we won’t always be able to rely on benefactors handouts forever. Short term we’re in a good place but long term we need to have multiple revenue streams in order to trade in the black.

This was a major factor  in appointing the current set up. AM & JS are blameless over the current management appointments. 

You must have a very senior position at Tynecastle to have this information? 

I’ve not kept up with this thread but it’s probably the best place for this rant. 

Gordon

Smith 

Souttar

Halkett

Kingsley

Cochrane

Beni

Devlin

McKay

Boyce 

Simms

Clark

Atkinson

Kent

Rowles

Cochrane

Devlin

Haring

Vargas

Boyce 

Lowry

Shankland

The first team is from our first season back up and the second is obviously the best we have available now. For me there is not 1 single *upgrade. In fact you could say there’s at least 5 downgrades. How did this happen? We can’t use long term injuries as an excuse because we knew about these and still never addressed this in the window. For me the 21/22 team takes 3 or 4 off off our current rabble. It’s in black and white, Savage and his team have failed. Miserably. 

*Harsh on Shankland but we’re comparing him to an £8m player.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

One thing about SMJs post doesn’t make sense.

Why were St Mirren looking to punt Robinson after the season he had last year with them for a complete rookie?

Makes no sense.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

16 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Steven got the job on his own merit. He was recommended to the board by Anne and it was James Anderson conducting his interview.

Did JA do the sole interview for Naismith to get the job?

If so, this is quite a worry.

Why would a massively successful businessman interview someone for a position they have zero experience of?

Could understand if it JA was perhaps part of an interview board, asking one or two non sporting questions. 

But not the whole interview? 

"Every single one of us are disappointed including manager, boardroom, CEO and sporting director but give them time and it’ll come good and this is not a ‘jam tomorrow’ statement.  Far too many on here with short memories of 10 years ago. "

Been listening to that for 10 years where the Board have been going round in circles with football team recruitment. If what you say in your post is correct their approach is incompetent and inadequate while displaying a complete lack of football industry knowledge. The issue being under the current structure of 10 years the Board are finding it impossible to draw up a format for successful football team recruitment into their business plan & they have been consistent in their failure proven by the spasmodic nature of results & plunges into relegation.

All the fans are asking is that this issue be addressed & placed into a better system or it will continue into an ever-decreasing performance cycle. To conclude;

"Why is this such an issue? Would it not be easier to

find a consultant director with experience of all aspects of football club operations to set & achieve solutions to this ever-present problem? & with all due respect JS & AM don't have that in their armoury.

Having worked in football for 30 years it is easy to spot the glaringly obvious & many of the fans are well onto it now. Hearts are being operated in business planning without sufficient experience in the main field of expertise. ie; It's akin to running & claiming a michelin-star restaurant with a mcdonalds level cook.

If cost, sentiment and fomo overrules the most suitable candidate for the job (who I'd guess was Cifuentes/Wilder coaching teams) and that preferred candidate wouldn't accept Naisy in their team - then I guess we're stuck gambling that the failed B team coach becomes a decent manager as soon as possible and have to wear his inability to get our players to play to anything approaching their ability until he does. 

It's not a gamble I'm comfortable with but it's their decision. I don't think he's ready or has the skills to do that yet, but hey, he's cheap and heaven forbid he went to St Mirren and became a good coach at some point in the future. 

There's a reason the other coach was recommended and Naisy wasn't. Because they could get a lot more out these players than Naisy can. 

It's because he's been unable to this that we now seem to think Robinson, Mcinnes etc who we previously didn't want as an option now. Because they can get the best out of players. 

For me, it's a manager/coaching crisis. The players could be turned into a very good team. Naisy can't do that though. Not even at B team

level. 

Give him a few years of failure till the board are ready. 

1 hour ago, Jim Panzee said:

Why would a massively successful businessman interview someone for a position they have zero experience of?

Could understand if it JA was perhaps part of an interview board, asking one or two non sporting questions. 

Absolutely no chance that happened. This is all made-up baloney from a fantasist. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Absolutely no chance that happened. This is all made-up baloney from a fantasist. :laugh:

I'm finding it really hard to believe TBH.

what footballing questions would JA know to ask? 

3 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

It would be a worry.  He is a successful businessman and fund manger, but other than being a generous benefactor for us, he has no football experience.

it is a believable story though.

29 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I'm not sure but have you heard of the new initiative at Tynecastle? I've just booked an appointment for a pension and mortgage review with Joe Savage on Friday. 

I'm hoping Budge breaks out the biscuits. 

34 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I don’t think the poster was implying this was the sole interview.

just an interview that was set up to sway a key board member 

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Correct.

Anyone thats run a small business never mind a multi million pound one has a decent handle on interview techniques.

Being held to randsome by an employee or future employee is common place, i guarantee a few dingles on here have attempted it.

Dont let the door hit you on the way out is the only response ive ever given or heard of.

Its basic stuff.