Sporting Director ( merged )

heatonjambo

1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

Our CEO publicly stated  he wanted "an experienced manager". 

So, why didn't we get one ?

He was out voted when all the facts were laid bare. Salary, compensation, whole new backroom team and their salaries etc. 

We’ve got a hotel to finish doncha know? The long game is to have multiple commercial and sustainable revenue streams as we won’t always be able to rely on benefactors handouts forever. Short term we’re in a good place but long term we need to have multiple revenue streams in order to trade in the black.

This was a major factor  in appointing the current set up. AM & JS are blameless over the current management appointments. 

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• OTT

• heatonjambo

• Ricardo Quaresma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

periodictabledancer
1 minute ago, SMJ_1874 said:

He was out voted when all the facts were laid bare. Salary, compensation, whole new backroom team and their salaries etc. 

We’ve got a hotel to finish doncha know? The long game is to have multiple commercial and sustainable revenue streams as we won’t always be able to rely on benefactors handouts forever. Short term we’re in a good place but long term we need to have multiple revenue streams in order to trade in the black.

This was a major factor  in appointing the current set up. AM & JS are blameless over the current management appointments. 

Cheers.

Our recruitment is awful. We have a budget at least double half the clubs in the league but routinely struggle when playing them away from home, and this season at home too. What’s the point in having a big budget if we are going to blow it on a big squad of average players. 

Just now, amadjambo said:

Our recruitment is awful. We have a budget at least double half the clubs in the league but routinely struggle when playing them away from home, and this season at home too. What’s the point in having a big budget if we are going to blow it on a big squad of average players. 

I don't quite agree with this. We have obtained two very good signings lin Kent and Vargas. Tagawa and the Hoff are worries. Most of the problem we have is that we cannot seem to get Halkett, Pollock and Beni fit. Couple that with an over-dependance on a player like Rowles, who is miles below the standard we require and pushing others into unfamiliar positions - management are more to blame imo. Losing Gino was critical too. I said at the time he would be a bigger miss than Shanks.

14 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

He’s definitely not making stuff up. Anne wanted Naismith and it was a boards decision to appoint him. Savage and McKinley had another target that was all agreed in principle. A lot was depending on us finishing 3rd though. We didn’t and the board appointed the current manager.

Don’t lay the blame at the door of AM and JS as they both advised AB who their target was.

I find it bizarre you are telling us this.

The thing that concerns me more is if there is truth in that story then someone on the board is leaking strictly confidential information to punters knowing it will get posted on a public forum.  I'd be wanting those people gone first as they are in breach of contract and a liability.

However its more likely a rumour started in a boozer by people who aren't ITK.

4 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

I don't quite agree with this. We have obtained two very good signings lin Kent and Vargas. Tagawa and the Hoff are worries. Most of the problem we have is that we cannot seem to get Halkett, Pollock and Beni fit. Couple that with an over-dependance on a player like Rowles, who is miles below the standard we require and pushing others into unfamiliar positions - management are more to blame imo. Losing Gino was critical too. I said at the time he would be a bigger miss than Shanks.

Kent looks a good signing. Vargas looks promising. The others haven’t hit the ground running though. Our team is worse this season than last IMO, and that doesn’t represent a positive transfer window. No pace up front, no decent left sided central defender, and with Mckay injured we have a serious lack of creativity. And then there’s the midfield!

Ricardo Quaresma
7 minutes ago, feej said:

Would agree that we need to be looking closer to home although I think whilst wages wouldn't be an issue I think transfer fees may be the issue and that's why we're maybe shopping abroad, who knows.

We lost a lost of 50/50 balls today plus some 70/30's, which was disappointing as most of them know the score, you need to earn the right to play first of all. Some of our players techniques are questionable but I think a lot of them just don't want the ball, I don't see much bravery, as you say that's possibly down to confidence.

I was having a conversation with an ex Hearts player a few weeks ago and he was saying the that their out ball was to  big Kevin Kyle to use his physicality to hold up play bring others into possession in theory to take pressure of  and get them up the pitch.

I can see why there are calls for a Nouble type to have been signed. I wouldn't have minded that as I can see the merit in that. 

Yes, we certainly don't want to pay a rival money, that's for sure, but if we want a player, we should not be going for an 'alternative' that doesn't fit, isn't that the gripe people have with lancefield? That he just matches attributes or someting like that

Some cases, we should just take the player who's a known fit for our system; we don't get many decent SPL players running down their contract for other Scottish clubs either, but we should raid other clubs in the league, possibly to weaken them too

I wouldn't have bothered if we signed Nouble, or someone like him who knows our league; it seems a sensible idea

1 minute ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Yes, we certainly don't want to pay a rival money, that's for sure, but if we want a player, we should not be going for an 'alternative' that doesn't fit, isn't that the gripe people have with lancefield? That he just matches attributes or someting like that

Some cases, we should just take the player who's a known fit for our system; we don't get many decent SPL players running down their contract for other Scottish clubs either, but we should raid other clubs in the league, possibly to weaken them too

I wouldn't have bothered if we signed Nouble, or someone like him who knows our league; it seems a sensible idea

Agreed. I've no idea about this Lancefield guy, only thing I can recall is that he was in recruitment for Southampton or something. Recruitment these days appears to be hightec business, are players still scouted, ie go out and watch them play and take it from there?

10 minutes ago, feej said:

Agreed. I've no idea about this Lancefield guy, only thing I can recall is that he was in recruitment for Southampton or something. Recruitment these days appears to be hightec business, are players still scouted, ie go out and watch them play and take it from there?

Lancefield is one of the new breed of data scouts who think that they can pick players from looking at the number of passes they made.

Oh and of course he happens to be a former colleague of Joe Savage at an unsuccessful club.

2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Our CEO publicly stated  he wanted "an experienced manager". 

So, why didn't we get one ?

B

U

D

G

E

32 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

So we now need to pay off 5 people instead of 2, that’s absolute genius if that’s true. James Anderson must be wondering WTF he’s done with his money and Andrew McKinley has been completely undermined by the board, when his voice should be one of the loudest. Looking at the structure of the board Jacqui Duncan, Ann’s best pal, has the swing vote as the finance director.

It still doesn’t excuse the nick of our recruitment, how much time and money has been wasted recruiting this latest crop of losers? Kent aside the rest simply haven’t improved us, so spend a fortune and get worse, bonkers!

We have one player worth money and let’s not kid ourselves on, Neilson for all his faults brought him to the club, not those heading up recruitment. 

No one can convince me anyone from Hearts watched Kio play for example, he’s been a you tube signing, and unfortunately we’ve had way more Kio’s than Kent’s.

3 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

The fact Savage didn't even have a say in the current first team management setup tells you all you need to know about Budge etc. They employed him because she didn't know how to operate a football department.  At her own admission too. 

So WHY is she still making the football departments decisions. 

JS wanted and advised to consider a minimum of 5 candidates for Neilson's replacement.  But she cracked on with Naisy/McAvoy/Forrest anyway.

Hes not as big a problem as some make out. 

This will be news to all those who said AB has nothing to do with football decisions. If true, we are still operating with a Chairwoman who couldn't pick a manager for a subbutteo team choosing for a Prem team on a field in which she previously said she has no experience.

Money peed up the wall; relegations every 5 years; crap head coaches; equally crap players; no football directors with football experience; real owners ignored; nobody knows their job; nobody is qualified for their job; stand by & watch us run a business we know nothing about; anyone sensing a disaster unfolding or was Naismith the ideal appointment to whatever job he is in today? We are a toyteam.

1 hour ago, SMJ_1874 said:

He’s definitely not making stuff up. Anne wanted Naismith and it was a boards decision to appoint him. Savage and McKinley had another target that was all agreed in principle. A lot was depending on us finishing 3rd though. We didn’t and the board appointed the current manager.

Don’t lay the blame at the door of AM and JS as they both advised AB who their target was.

Really

who was that 

my open stanza stated it starts at the top and I do believe there is a split as u allude to 

6 hours ago, Korky said:

Teams like Motherwell and Ross County trawl the lower reaches in England and Ireland every Summer and somehow manage to put competent teams on the park.

We go worldwide to get bang average players who then need months to ‘adjust’ to the Scottish football culture!

Nailed it

3 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

A concerning read, but I suppose at least it offers some explanation for the mess we find ourselves in.

It also reinforces my feeling that there’s little point in changing the manager before we change the board.

colinmorewasgash

Watching vermin highlights tonight after watching ours and as crap as they still are at back they will score goals in our mickey mouse league. If its not wiggy youan and the dutch guy scoring and I laughed when they kept doidge on for season and added old hasbeen le fondre yet le fondre and him came off bench as options and both score to beat sheep,  both have records of scoring goals. Apart from shankland and boyce in previous incarnation who will score the other goals for us as oda tagawa and vargas are unknown quantities. I did say we were a big striker short and a creative or attacking player that scores from midfield but obv joe knows best. Before anyone trots out usual hobo crap no chance 51 years of watching us from days of jimmy cant buzzbomb prentice willie gibson then derek o connor frank liddell paddy byrne as well as real crap like jim denny colin more crawford boyd (still have nightmares) and awful gates the decent teams from 82 upwards inc heartbreak as 17year old at dens 86 thru 90s 00s and now this current lot I aint no hobo. Sheep don't look great so far even though money they hve spent its defo stop front two you can beat them and they haven't won a league game yet cue us for first one.

SpruceBringsteen

The one thing about i'll say about Savage is that he's got about as much idea of what makes a decent centre mid as I do about what makes Margot Robbie want to pump me.

6 hours ago, frankblack said:

The thing that concerns me more is if there is truth in that story then someone on the board is leaking strictly confidential information to punters knowing it will get posted on a public forum.  I'd be wanting those people gone first as they are in breach of contract and a liability.

You’re entitled to your opinion as

is every single poster on this forum. You can choose to believe or not to believe anyone’s postings and that is your prerogative. I certainly wouldn’t take some rumour wherever it started and try and pass it off as factual. 

As a footnote, Steven Naismith was interviewed for the St Mirren job and was considering his position with us as he wanted to cut his teeth in the big league and St Mirren was the ideal place to start.  He wasn’t going to be the B team coach after his one season at the academy after being touted for league management and intimated this to Anne. St Mirren were giving him a platform on the big stage and Anne didn’t want him to leave and had indicated this much to the board.  She argued the case in point about SN being given a chance before we lost him therefore SN was given the caretakers role over 7 games to ‘see what he could do.’  Once the final league positions were known SN had said there was no way he was returning to the academy to oversee youth development and remain the B team coach so he called the club out. It was basically give me a chance or I’m off. He was interviewed by James Anderson over several hours for the full time position and this was carried out over a zoom time call with JA being in the USA on other business at the time of the interview. JA also recommended SN for the job as he came across very well in his interview with his visions for the playing team and moving forward. Now Naisy has two big hitters in the boardroom banging the drum for him to be given the job on a full time basis. 

Now there were arguments for appointing Naismith on a full time basis and arguments against appointing him. A big factor was the money required to get a new experienced head coach in and the person we had initially approached wouldn’t work with anyone in the current set up, not even Naismith and he wanted  his whole backroom team brought with him.

You could argue it was a game changer unless we finished 3rd with guaranteed euro money coming in to cover the costs of a new management team as current funds are/were being ploughed into the hotel for reasons previously mentioned. Everything  regarding a full time appointment was on hold until we had seen what other  candidates had applied. As another poster had stated AM, and who I quote, ‘ the list was very underwhelming!’ 

Now we were between a rock and a hard place after we finished 4th.  We couldn’t afford our no1 target and the other candidates who applied were underwhelming. The board were split and took a vote after many deliberations and that majority vote is  what we currently have in place right now. Obviously to get round the coaching license in Europe then SN could only be called Technical Director with FM named head coach/manager. 

Andrew McKinley getting criticism for this current set up is wrong on all levels, especially the personal stuff. iirc it was he and he alone who took the decision and sacked Robbie Neilson after saying the club needed a change of direction on the managerial front. All may I add with Anne’s blessing.  

We know it will take several windows to remove the deadwood from the club and it’s not like JS hasn’t tried to get players out the door already. We just haven’t had any bids or takers to get them out. It’s no secret that Forest, Grant, Halliday and two others who I won’t name (one has resale value the other doesn’t) don’t have a future at the club, but without moving them on then we can’t bring anyone else in to replace them with. 5 players, which is half a team, who were all starters under Neilson won’t feature hopefully after the next window. You can’t blame Naismith for the shite he has inherited and he won’t be sacked either as he needs a chance to have his own way with his own players. It’s no secret he wants to do his own recruiting and build ‘his team’  and not work with a makeshift Neilson team which can’t be changed after one window. Sacking a new manager after 4 games, when we’re still paying a salary to jig and Neilson, will not be happening this season never mind before Xmas. 

Now I’ll let you decide wether you think this is a rumour that was started in a boozer! 

36 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

is every single poster on this forum. You can choose to believe or not to believe anyone’s postings and that is your prerogative. I certainly wouldn’t take some rumour wherever it started and try and pass it off as factual. 

As a footnote, Steven Naismith was interviewed for the St Mirren job and was considering his position with us as he wanted to cut his teeth in the big league and St Mirren was the ideal place to start.  He wasn’t going to be the B team coach after his one season at the academy after being touted for league management and intimated this to Anne. St Mirren were giving him a platform on the big stage and Anne didn’t want him to leave and had indicated this much to the board.  She argued the case in point about SN being given a chance before we lost him therefore SN was given the caretakers role over 7 games to ‘see what he could do.’  Once the final league positions were known SN had said there was no way he was returning to the academy to oversee youth development and remain the B team coach so he called the club out. It was basically give me a chance or I’m off. He was interviewed by James Anderson over several hours for the full time position and this was carried out over a zoom time call with JA being in the USA on other business at the time of the interview. JA also recommended SN for the job as he came across very well in his interview with his visions for the playing team and moving forward. Now Naisy has two big hitters in the boardroom banging the drum for him to be given the job on a full time basis. 

Now there were arguments for appointing Naismith on a full time basis and arguments against appointing him. A big factor was the money required to get a new experienced head coach in and the person we had initially approached wouldn’t work with anyone in the current set up, not even Naismith and he wanted  his whole backroom team brought with him.

You could argue it was a game changer unless we finished 3rd with guaranteed euro money coming in to cover the costs of a new management team as current funds are/were being ploughed into the hotel for reasons previously mentioned. Everything  regarding a full time appointment was on hold until we had seen what other  candidates had applied. As another poster had stated AM, and who I quote, ‘ the list was very underwhelming!’ 

Now we were between a rock and a hard place after we finished 4th.  We couldn’t afford our no1 target and the other candidates who applied were underwhelming. The board were split and took a vote after many deliberations and that majority vote is  what we currently have in place right now. Obviously to get round the coaching license in Europe then SN could only be called Technical Director with FM named head coach/manager. 

Andrew McKinley getting criticism for this current set up is wrong on all levels, especially the personal stuff. iirc it was he and he alone who took the decision and sacked Robbie Neilson after saying the club needed a change of direction on the managerial front. All may I add with Anne’s blessing.  

We know it will take several windows to remove the deadwood from the club and it’s not like JS hasn’t tried to get players out the door already. We just haven’t had any bids or takers to get them out. It’s no secret that Forest, Grant, Halliday and two others who I won’t name (one has resale value the other doesn’t) don’t have a future at the club, but without moving them on then we can’t bring anyone else in to replace them with. 5 players, which is half a team, who were all starters under Neilson won’t feature hopefully after the next window. You can’t blame Naismith for the shite he has inherited and he won’t be sacked either as he needs a chance to have his own way with his own players. It’s no secret he wants to do his own recruiting and build ‘his team’  and not work with a makeshift Neilson team which can’t be changed after one window. Sacking a new manager after 4 games, when we’re still paying a salary to jig and Neilson, will not be happening this season never mind before Xmas. 

Now I’ll let you decide wether you think this is a rumour that was started in a boozer! 

Interesting post.   Of the players we are trying to move on, you name three, but said you will not name the other two.  Can I ask why?

21 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Interesting post.   Of the players we are trying to move on, you name three, but said you will not name the other two.  Can I ask why?

I’ve just finished a night shift and I’m away to bed to get some sleep.

I’ll let you work that one out Columbo

12 hours ago, jbee647 said:

No sorry we will agree to disagree 

Savage will provide a list of options, Naismith isn’t sitting on his laptop watching Costa Rican football 

Yup, 100% 

Not to muddy the waters but it's the recruitment team that go out and identify all of the player options and based on the attributes of players that the manager requests 

Savage pretty much sits in the middle of it all, and goes out and signs who the manager selects, and out of the said options. 

What's the potential outcomes ? 

The manager identifies the wrong attributes needed or required and gets what he asked for 

The recruitment team delivers players that don't match the actual attributes that were requested 

We strike lucky, the manager gets it right, the recruitment team gets it right, and Savage gets the negotiation right. 

Three things to have to get right Vs one thing, out of three, to get it completely wrong. 

9 hours ago, frankblack said:

8 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

Really

who was that 

my open stanza stated it starts at the top and I do believe there is a split as u allude to 

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

I'm not jumping in here and I realise it's none of my business, but what I do know is that some of the posts on this thread would have far more accuracy than the majority of stuff that's said here on a daily basis. I'm saying that and nothing else. 

2 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

I’ve just finished a night shift and I’m away to bed to get some sleep.

I’ll let you work that one out Columbo

A boy of a stroppy reply to a genuine question, one I asked because your post was credible.  I will put it down to you being tired.  

1 hour ago, Hearts1975 said:

I'm not jumping in here and I realise it's none of my business, but what I do know is that some of the posts on this thread would have far more accuracy than the majority of stuff that's said here on a daily basis. I'm saying that and nothing else. 

Quite possibly, and I did not doubt the post I replied to. I was just interested why two players were not named, but that is fine.There will be reasons, and perhaps there is a clue in the reluctance to name them.

12 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Quite possibly, and I did not doubt the post I replied to. I was just interested why two players were not named, but that is fine.There will be reasons, and perhaps there is a clue in the reluctance to name them.

👍

Dusk_Till_Dawn
11 hours ago, frankblack said:

However it’s more likely a rumour started in a boozer by people who aren't ITK.

:rofl:

”rather than knowing the truth, I want people sacked so that the club can keep feeding us bullshit”

You’re earning your wage Frank, I’ll give you that. Cher-ching with the retainer

3 hours ago, Paolo said:

Sibbick being one I assume but I can't really work out who the 2nd one could be?

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

The story I was told chimes with what SMJ is posting and it came from a club sponsor.  I posted it long before the current shambles erupted.  

2 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

The story I was told chimes with what SMJ is posting and it came from a club sponsor.  I posted it long before the current shambles erupted.  

It's all good mate. Didn't mean any harm in what I was saying. 

4 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

That is way to coherent to be a rumour and makes perfect sense why we are back to experimenting with coaches again. Only thing I do not get is surely we had money for say a Robinson type move but maybe just as big a gamble as the current set up. If all you say is close to the truth it is all very depressing stuck with what we got. Rather than a professional set up we are now crossing our fingers and toes naismith can turn it around. We do have a mini cup final with our so called main rivals coming up and a good win would get most back on side. If Aberdeen beat us at home St Johnstone will be our main rivals 😔 

I’m really worried about the lengths of contracts being handed out. I thought we’d learned from Damour etc and even remember Savage saying that was something that wouldn’t be happening?

Rowles and Tagawa on a 9 year contract between them… hope I’m proven wrong.

Eskilsson's Odyssey

As I’ve written (at length) on another thread, the sporting director needs

to go, based on performance in role.

He doesn’t appear to have made decisions based on any plan or for the best for the club, but due to other motivating factors.

It’s difficult for business people to take risks, particularly with matters they lack confidence in, so they’ve put confidence in others to do so and not wanted to take risks themselves, but they must have taken risks in their own business dealings in the past.

They need to take measures they may consider risks now, before it’s too late.

50 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:rofl:

”rather than knowing the truth, I want people sacked so that the club can keep feeding us bullshit”

You’re earning your wage Frank, I’ll give you that. Cher-ching with the retainer

You seem to follow me like a lost puppy.

You also have a comprehension difficulty with English going by the post you made up.

Clearly damaged and desperate.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Ari Gold said:

Sibbick being one I assume but I can't really work out who the 2nd one could be?

Haring?

Edit, or possibly Kingsley.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

loveofthegame
16 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

But Levein had her wrapped around his finger? 🤔

Well in that regard, she clearly believed Levein was the guru and had to be listened to, despite all the warning signs. Her stubbornness re believing Levein was the right man cost us dearly. So the point still applies. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I was thinking Shankland, hence the reluctance to name him.

👍I hope not. I was thinking of the one with little value (and assumed Sibbick was the one with value, after the Blackpool bid).

1 minute ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

👍I hope not. I was thinking of the one with little value (and assumed Sibbick was the one with value, after the Blackpool bid).

This is just me speculating.  I am no Columbo, despite the poster in his tired state addressing me as such.

8 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Thanks for posting this, fills in all the blanks on the length of time it took to make the appointment and helps understand why it happened. Really appreciated.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
8 minutes ago, Paolo said:

This is just me speculating.  I am no Columbo, despite the poster in his tired state addressing me as such.

Same here. I'm more of an inspector Clouseau.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Time to knock the place down and pack up. Nobody will be every happy with what we do unless we win every week, and that is never going to happen.

Every season that goes by people seem to find it harder to accept that 3rd or 4th is actually par for where our budget is and maybe slightly better than par. Gets nastier wiith every passing season.

Just now, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Time to knock the place down and pack up. Nobody will be every happy with what we do unless we win every week, and that is never going to happen.

Every season that goes by people seem to find it harder to accept that 3rd or 4th is actually par for where our budget is and maybe slightly better than par. Gets nastier wiith every passing season.

Currently, 3rd is but a distant dream.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, briever said:

Currently, 3rd is but a distant dream.

Its not really, the 2 teams that we competed with for it last season are below us, its very early in the season

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

The club could help massively by avoiding obvious mistakes 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The club could help massively by avoiding obvious mistakes 

Maybe so, but there is clearly a desire to suck any positivity and replace it with maximum negativity.

Human nature I suppose, folk enjoy moaning more than they do enjoying life

1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Maybe so, but there is clearly a desire to suck any positivity and replace it with maximum negativity.

Human nature I suppose, folk enjoy moaning more than they do enjoying life

Oh look, a happy clappy.