Sporting Director ( merged )

heatonjambo

5 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Can’t think of many in more recent times.  Rangers had Greig and Souness I think Celtic had McNeil. Have we had any in last 30 years?  Certainly none before that I think as it was a bit like the old golf scenarios where pros and caddies not even allowed in the clubhouse never mind on the Board of a club. Football was very much like that and the players and Directors didn’t mix much. 

Bobby Walker - the greatest natural footballer who ever played.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• OTT

• heatonjambo

• Ricardo Quaresma

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks to @Perth to Paisley’s exclusive, Joe Savage was heard after the game on Sunday to state he was not responsible for transfers to a disgruntled fan, who had calmly asked if he was happy with the quality of the players brought in.  He stated previously it was Neilson and now it was Naismith.

Now, none of us really know the inner workings at Tynecastle. I include the current incumbents who state they run the club 😉 But it was always my impression that Savage was in some capacity involved in making the signings 🤷‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

Thanks to @Perth to Paisley’s exclusive, Joe Savage was heard after the game on Sunday to state he was not responsible for transfers to a disgruntled fan, who had calmly asked if he was happy with the quality of the players brought in.  He stated previously it was Neilson and now it was Naismith.

Now, none of us really know the inner workings at Tynecastle. I include the current incumbents who state they run the club 😉 But it was always my impression that Savage was in some capacity involved in making the signings 🤷‍♂️ 

He is probably suggesting those  two made the final call from the candidates his team unearthed. Possibly true but if the candidates are weak then any signing will be weak.  But if that pool of candidates is all a manager has to choose from what does  he do? 
Just shows up  the ridiculous hiring process we have had. 

8 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

Just been listening to that,

He's one that needs booted out the club asap, an absolute charlatan, appointed by other charlatans on our board, he is contradicting himself,as he has been on podcasts before claiming he was in charge of recruitment, he said on one of the podcasts that the manager comes to him and asks him for a player in a certain position, he then goes away and looks at 3 or 4 different options within our wage structure and goes back to the manager with these options and then the manager chooses which one he wants and Joe recruits them or tries to recruit them.

The man is full of sh1te and has been found out big time.

Get rid and bring in a professional, someone like Takis Fyssas would be great for the role.

11 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

He is probably suggesting those  two made the final call from the candidates his team unearthed. Possibly true but if the candidates are weak then any signing will be weak.  But if that pool of candidates is all a manager has to choose from what does  he do? 
Just shows up  the ridiculous hiring process we have had. 

The main problem with what you say is we don’t know who the other candidates are so we can’t comment on the quality of the process. You also have to ask yourself, who benefits from the process churning up poor quality candidates ? Certainly not the two main men in the firing line. If SN isn’t happy with the process or the quality it is leaving him to choose from it I’d expect we will hear about it. 

35 minutes ago, Dazo said:

The main problem with what you say is we don’t know who the other candidates are so we can’t comment on the quality of the process. You also have to ask yourself, who benefits from the process churning up poor quality candidates ? Certainly not the two main men in the firing line. If SN isn’t happy with the process or the quality it is leaving him to choose from it I’d expect we will hear about it. 

We have.  After his predecessor made it known he wasn’t happy with quality of players proposed it didn’t take long after being appointed TD for SN to state he was much more involved in the recruitment process.  It’s certainly been tweaked since last season. 

Perth to Paisley
18 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

Think you are confusing me with somebody else (podcast hosts?)

I have offered to sell the name to them for a donation to FoH or Big Hearts but haven't heard anything back since.

My lawyers are on defamation standby 😁

11 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Think you are confusing me with somebody else (podcast hosts?)

I have offered to sell the name to them for a donation to FoH or Big Hearts but haven't heard anything back since.

My lawyers are on defamation standby 😁

🤣😂 My mistake! I was indeed 🤦🏻‍♂️

18 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

I don’t believe for a second that he is not responsible.  Does he expect us to believe that both Neilson and Naismith had all those contacts in Australia, Japan and the Faroe Islands?

Selkirkhmfc1874
14 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I don’t believe for a second that he is not responsible.  Does he expect us to believe that both Neilson and Naismith had all those contacts in Australia, Japan and the Faroe Islands?

Wonder if he'll be next out the door? Seemed odd the other day when Naismith was appointed officially that he never made any comment 

Leveins Battalion

Joe is not responsible for Tranfers,Will Lancefield is however Joe appointed him.

Until we empty Lancefield we are going nowhere.

Lancefield is known as the Whattsapp kid by agents up here,we were in for 2 Scottish Based players from last January,the 2 of them would improve our starting 11 year imo,1 of them we’ve no chance of getting now.

However Lancefield strung them along for so long (to the point where 1 of them was looking for a house in Edinburgh for him his Mrs and their newborn) that they told Hearts to bolt.

5 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Joe is not responsible for Tranfers,Will Lancefield is however Joe appointed him.

Lancefield is known as the Whattsapp kid by agents up here,we were in for 2 Scottish Based players from last January,the 2 of them would improve our starting 11 year imo,1 of them we’ve no chance of getting now.

However Lancefield strung them along for so long (to the point where 1 of them was looking for a house in Edinburgh for him his Mrs and their newborn) that they told Hearts to bolt.

What is Joe responsible for then?

Berra than you
8 minutes ago, Paolo said:

What is Joe responsible for then?

Overseeing the football department and ultimately getting the deals over the line. Fairly well documented. He's of course culpable because of his role, but it's not him that directly finds any players.

51 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Wonder if he'll be next out the door? Seemed odd the other day when Naismith was appointed officially that he never made any comment 

🤞

1 hour ago, Berra than you said:

Overseeing the football department and ultimately getting the deals over the line. Fairly well documented. He's of course culpable because of his role, but it's not him that directly finds any players.

So the head coach (or Sporting Director, depending on what day it is), is not responsible, and Joe Savage is not responsible. Just some random geezer?

22 minutes ago, Paolo said:

So the head coach (or Sporting Director, depending on what day it is), is not responsible, and Joe Savage is not responsible. Just some random geezer?

The manager/head coach has final say on whether to sign a player (assuming he can be signed within budget of course). This has been well documented.

I think we have some really good players . The quality of signings are not the problem here and I am surprised so many people think they are . The problem was glaringly obvious to anyone who watched us this season and particularly vs Motherwell 

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think we have some really good players . The quality of signings are not the problem here and I am surprised so many people think they are . The problem was glaringly obvious to anyone who watched us this season and particularly vs Motherwell 

Don't know your opinion but personal opinion is we need extra man in midfield because we get overun in there and play midfield players instead of centre half and left back

7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Don't know your opinion but personal opinion is we need extra man in midfield because we get overun in there and play midfield players instead of centre half and left back

We should have Beni in there and Niewenhoff still to see enough to assess . We are currently short in there but that is partly down to injury and partly down to starting Beni so soon after a long lay off

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

We should have Beni in there and Niewenhoff still to see enough to assess . We are currently short in there but that is partly down to injury and partly down to starting Beni so soon after a long lay off

Not sure we'll see Beni anywhere near as good after injury again unfortunately 

3 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Not sure we'll see Beni anywhere near as good after injury again unfortunately 

No reason to think that in my opinion 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

No reason to think that in my opinion 

Hope you're right because pre injury was brilliant football player and if hadn't got injury he'd be away now and made us a lot of money in my opinion

2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Can you share which players? I assume one was Nicky Devlin ? 

22 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

What has been stated previously by Savage is that the Head Coach asks him for a player with a specific skill set, technical ability, attitude, energy levels, pace  etc .... Savage runs some print outs and comes back with names that we can afford THEN AND ONLY THEN does the Head Coach select name(s) to target.  If there is an inability to get deals over the line then that most certainly sits at Savages door.

Who are the poor signings that Lancefield and Savage have brought in . Who on the park against Motherwell is the reason people are talking about emptying them ? I assume Rowles is one of them , who else 

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Who are the poor signings that Lancefield and Savage have brought in . Who on the park against Motherwell is the reason people are talking about emptying them ? I assume Rowles is one of them , who else 

I would also maybe add who we've not brought in. The fact that we're STILL using Peter Haring and haven't succeeded in replacing him is piss poor. 

(I really like Big Pete, but the reality is that Kio was supposed to displace him and that failed miserably and the summer window we don't appear to have dealt with that).

1 minute ago, OTT said:

I would also maybe add who we've not brought in. The fact that we're STILL using Peter Haring and haven't succeeded in replacing him is piss poor. 

(I really like Big Pete, but the reality is that Kio was supposed to displace him and that failed miserably and the summer window we don't appear to have dealt with that).

Honestly mate , our problem is not poor players

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Honestly mate , our problem is not poor players

I think in the summer we got a lot right, but the failure to bring in an effective CM has snookered us. 

Possession without penetration is a pretty fair characteristic of our play. Teams are happy to let us take the ball because we don't do anything with it, and our current midfield pairing consists of Devlin who struggles to make 5 yard passes and Haring who will not pass the ball forward. Players like Kent, Vargas, Tagawa all addressed issues we needed to resolve, but this has been a big misstep IMO. We needed a more dynamic partner for Cammy and I think gambling on Beni was needlessly risky. I've said before, Fuchs is my choice in the winter window. But that does nothing to solve our problems here and now. 

Just now, OTT said:

I think in the summer we got a lot right, but the failure to bring in an effective CM has snookered us. 

Possession without penetration is a pretty fair characteristic of our play. Teams are happy to let us take the ball because we don't do anything with it, and our current midfield pairing consists of Devlin who struggles to make 5 yard passes and Haring who will not pass the ball forward. Players like Kent, Vargas, Tagawa all addressed issues we needed to resolve, but this has been a big misstep IMO. We needed a more dynamic partner for Cammy and I think gambling on Beni was needlessly risky. I've said before, Fuchs is my choice in the winter window. But that does nothing to solve our problems here and now. 

I am still hoping Hoff is that CM . Biggest mistake we have made in midfield was how badly we reintroduced Beni in my opinion 

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I have been an advocate for Fuchs for a couple of seasons . Good player who would have helped us get over the loss of Beni for so long

32 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

What has been stated previously by Savage is that the Head Coach asks him for a player with a specific skill set, technical ability, attitude, energy levels, pace  etc .... Savage runs some print outs and comes back with names that we can afford THEN AND ONLY THEN does the Head Coach select name(s) to target.  If there is an inability to get deals over the line then that most certainly sits at Savages door.

Absolutely 

I don't believe that it's just as simple as matching the correct attributes to players, and as per the managers request, and if we want someone to come in and do well. 

Say for example, you wanted a pacey right back, aggressive but could play forward and have energy to get up the flanks 

Said player, MATCHING all attributes is signed. 

What happens if said player is effective in a team that sits behind the ball and breaks at speed. 

What happens if said player just can't play in a system where the team dominates possession but tries to break teams, that sit behind the ball, down. 

Callum Slattery and just as an example. I mention him specifically as I saw someone post that we should have signed him after the well game, and because he would have improved us. 

Would he be decent in a team that tries to break teams down by dominating the ball. ?

Or is he simply effective in a side that sits in, can break at speed, and where he suits Motherwell's style of play ?

Signing a player with X,Y and Z attributes is one thing but assessing a player in terms of the type of system or tactical constraints that he is comfortable playing under, is another matter entirely.

To re-inforce the overall point, playing this possession based style and making the right decisions in the final third to pull teams out and then playing in behind them might be great if you are Man City, and can afford the best global talent, but not so great if the most you can pay a player would be 7k per week.  

Different managers sign and want different types of players in place but different managers also want to play different styles of football and maybe this is the disconnect that we have been experiencing.

Maybe our manager/s need to put their  own football philosophy to one side, do a full reassessment of our squad and come up with a system that SUITS the players rather than suits their own football beliefs. 

I'm starting to think that when you hear folk in coaching circles say that you can either play your preferred system, and fit the players you have into it or you can come up with a system to suit the players that you have that we have been focussing on the former, as opposed to the latter.

2 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

The manager/head coach has final say on whether to sign a player (assuming he can be signed within budget of course). This has been well documented.

But the poster says JS said he had no responsibility.  Clearly he has, even if not the final say, whether good enough or not.

Edited by Paolo

21 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

There’s very few things Joe Savage says that he doesn’t contradict when it suits whatever situation or interview he’s in.

Last night Nisbet, Porteous and McGinn were on Scotland duty. One came from Hibs academy the other two the lower leagues in Scotland through Hibs into the English leagues. We had Hickey who Levein plucked out our academy and Shanks (not even striped) who Neilson brought in. 

I’m using this comparison to prove the point that you don’t need a Joe Savage to stumble upon talent, there’s not one player that Joe Savage has brought to the club, using whatever process he’s decided on this week, that will end up playing at any higher a level than what they’re at now. Has any team paid a fee for one single player he’s been responsible for, or have we made profit on any one?  

His bullshit his getting close to Lee Johnson levels. The man boils my piss and that carry on in Greece has tipped me over the edge.

5 hours ago, Rudy T said:

There’s very few things Joe Savage says that he doesn’t contradict when it suits whatever situation or interview he’s in.

Last night Nisbet, Porteous and McGinn were on Scotland duty. One came from Hibs academy the other two the lower leagues in Scotland through Hibs into the English leagues. We had Hickey who Levein plucked out our academy and Shanks (not even striped) who Neilson brought in. 

I’m using this comparison to prove the point that you don’t need a Joe Savage to stumble upon talent, there’s not one player that Joe Savage has brought to the club, using whatever process he’s decided on this week, that will end up playing at any higher a level than what they’re at now. Has any team paid a fee for one single player he’s been responsible for, or have we made profit on any one?  

His bullshit his getting close to Lee Johnson levels. The man boils my piss and that carry on in Greece has tipped me over the edge.

👏👏👏👏

Toxteth O'Grady

If Savage left tomorrow he wouldn’t be missed. The overcomplicated signings of bang average players from the other side of the world and far too late in the window has done us and the management team no favours.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
39 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

If Savage left tomorrow he wouldn’t be missed. The overcomplicated signings of bang average players from the other side of the world and far too late in the window has done us and the management team no favours.

Potato-headed ****

Actually, I think some of our signings are good. But this management thing is aids

41 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

We don't seem to be following much rhyme or reason to what we're doing. 

I would like to see some clearer ideas in terms of integrating youth into the first team and a more cohesive (and sensible) style of play. We don't need 60% possession and the fact that teams are happy for us to have this just goes to show how poor we are in possession. I don't think the approach of finding value leagues in the transfer market is working very well. All of our Aussie lads are extremely limited in one way or the other. Cammy's ability on the ball is so poor that there isn't a chance in hell of a team above us wanting him - incredible work rate or not! The less said about Rowles the better... 

Its why I think having someone like JJ as our FOH rep would be a really good idea. We'd have someone that isn't taking an active role in the club but would be able to understand every facet of the football department and ask pointed questions around what Savage is actually doing. It would also mean the board would have a sound footballing voice to feed into discussions etc. 

Toxteth O'Grady
20 minutes ago, OTT said:

We don't seem to be following much rhyme or reason to what we're doing. 

I would like to see some clearer ideas in terms of integrating youth into the first team and a more cohesive (and sensible) style of play. We don't need 60% possession and the fact that teams are happy for us to have this just goes to show how poor we are in possession. I don't think the approach of finding value leagues in the transfer market is working very well. All of our Aussie lads are extremely limited in one way or the other. Cammy's ability on the ball is so poor that there isn't a chance in hell of a team above us wanting him - incredible work rate or not! The less said about Rowles the better... 

Its why I think having someone like JJ as our FOH rep would be a really good idea. We'd have someone that isn't taking an active role in the club but would be able to understand every facet of the football department and ask pointed questions around what Savage is actually doing. It would also mean the board would have a sound footballing voice to feed into discussions etc. 

Budge has created too many middle management positions. They are all trying hard to justify their jobs and it is over complicating recruitment. Cherry picking a few players who played well last season for other smaller SPL teams and picking up a couple from English clubs would have done the job without risking visa delays and players struggling to adjust 

Magic Numbers
On 08/09/2023 at 16:18, OTT said:

Wish Pete would show more forward thinking play, anyone remember his sublime through ball for Euan Henderson v Alloa?  Gorgeous pass.  Approx 30 seconds in on the video...

Edited by Magic Numbers

On 08/09/2023 at 15:49, Sooks said:

Exactly, buy starting players too soon after serious injury is not new to us.

7 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Exactly, buy starting players too soon after serious injury is not new to us.

It points quite clearly to what the real problem is at Hearts and it is not the players or Sporting Director 

3 hours ago, Magic Numbers said:

Wish Pete would show more forward thinking play, anyone remember his sublime through ball for Euan Henderson v Alloa?  Gorgeous pass.  Approx 30 seconds in on the video...

Tremendous. Would love to see more balls like that from Big Pete. 

Hopefully its something that Naisy and his team are working with Pete on over the winter break. 

The reality is, if PH won't play forward balls in midfield, we're ****ed. Like actually ****ed. Devlin can't, so its largely on Pete to be the forward thinking of the pair. 

Hearts are sitting eighth in the Premiership and went into the international break on a run of four successive defeats.

The Edinburgh club was busy in the transfer market over the summer, but former player Michael Stewart is critical of the business done.

"The biggest issue, for me, is recruitment," he told Sportsound. "Hearts have got a massive gap in the middle of the park. The midfield is not good enough.

"Frankie Kent has made a big difference in defence, but they need a right-back and a couple of central midfielders – and they need a bit more pace.

"These are things that have been known for a long time.

"So much good has been done at Tynecastle since Ann Budge got involved, but the club needs a football voice on the board and they don’t have that."

From BBC website. Michael Stewart summing it up well IMO

• 1 month later...

Any Hearts 'fan' that gives personal abuse to an employee of the club they claim to support is a total moron. Criticism of the job is to be expected especially when it's not going well but save the venom for the opposition.

4 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Any Hearts 'fan' that gives personal abuse to an employee of the club they claim to support is a total moron. Criticism of the job is to be expected especially when it's not going well but save the venom for the opposition.

Correct

colinmorewasgash

Maybe im old now but what was he expecting folk to be like. Its football club and not everyone will like you and I agree personal abuse isnt nice however, feels to me a bit deflecting of his recent signings. If hes not happy in his very well paid job then get proper one and leave. For record im fat old 55 crippled knees, worked for courts, bankruptcy,and taxman so ive had loads of personal abuse face to face, worse than being called fat and bald, physical and mental violence, even threatened with life by gangsters in my jobs, luckily still here, have hair mind and handled it and have been called lots in 50 odd years in life and watching us also has got me abuse, maybe I just have thick skin and get on with it or its how I was brought up. I also sympathise with people with mental health probs etc hve daughter who does and other works for mental health, just think he is playing victim card a bit cause of one idiot slating him.

henrysmithsgloves
10 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

:spoton:

2 minutes ago, colinmorewasgash said:

Maybe im old now but what was he expecting folk to be like. Its football club and not everyone will like you and I agree personal abuse isnt nice however, feels to me a bit deflecting of his recent signings. If hes not happy in his very well paid job then get proper one and leave. For record im fat old 55 crippled knees, worked for courts, bankruptcy,and taxman so ive had loads of personal abuse face to face, worse than being called fat and bald, physical and mental violence, even threatened with life by gangsters in my jobs, luckily still here, have hair mind and handled it and have been called lots in 50 odd years in life and watching us also has got me abuse, maybe I just have thick skin and get on with it or its how I was brought up. I also sympathise with people with mental health probs etc hve daughter who does and other works for mental health, just think he is playing victim card a bit cause of one idiot slating him.

Which recent signings are so bad they need deflecting