What areas/ towns do hearts fans come from

Jackhmfc1348

Lone Striker

Early years spent in Porty.  Then the next 40-odd in  various parts of West Edinburgh. 

Now in a wee village outside Lithgae.  Been here 10 years.   Glad to say I've never been the only Jambo in the village.    The chap who used to run the Broxburn Hearts bus lives here  (Graham - can't remember his surname).  When we moved here, a lovely chap across the road was a Jambo from the Borders.  My new next door neighbour is a ST holder.  Too many Hun & Sellick taps hanging on washing lines here  though 

Father & his brother and their father's  side were all Hearts.

My roots on mothers side are in Ayrshire - have fond memories of spending holidays there, so its  good to see a few Honest Lads on here from Maybole, Girvan etc

There's something very comforting in seeing someone wearing a Hearts top when you're nowhere near Edinburgh. 😎

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jackhmfc1348

• superjack

• martoon

• Doctor FinnBarr

9 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Early years spent in Porty.  Then the next 40-odd in  various parts of West Edinburgh. 

Now in a wee village outside Lithgae.  Been here 10 years.   Glad to say I've never been the only Jambo in the village.    The chap who used to run the Broxburn Hearts bus lives here  (Graham - can't remember his surname).  When we moved here, a lovely chap across the road was a Jambo from the Borders.  My new next door neighbour is a ST holder.  Too many Hun & Sellick taps hanging on washing lines here  though 

Father & his brother and their father's  side were all Hearts.

My roots on mothers side are in Ayrshire - have fond memories of spending holidays there, so its  good to see a few Honest Lads on here from Maybole, Girvan etc

There's something very comforting in seeing someone wearing a Hearts top when you're nowhere near Edinburgh. 😎

Must be a posh village .

OF fans washing their tops !

Never heard of such a thing

40 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'm still here lads, just had a wee name change along the way, hope you're both doing well :) 

There's a big following from Gala, but I moved to Rosyth in 2007, and there's a huge following here of Hearts fans, we took 8 buses to the cup final against St Mirren in 2013, there's a scattering of Dingles too, sadly! 

Hey. I noticed your name on a mutual friends Facebook. Always remembered you in gala academy, always said hello to all fellow jambos, whether you knew is or not.

The Old Tolbooth
10 minutes ago, superjack said:

Hey. I noticed your name on a mutual friends Facebook. Always remembered you in gala academy, always said hello to all fellow jambos, whether you knew is or not.

The chances are I probably know you from the 80's - 90's days mate, but more than likely forgotten as the memory isn't as good as it used to be :lol: 

J.T.F.Robertson
15 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

The chances are I probably know you from the 80's - 90's days mate, but more than likely forgotten as the memory isn't as good as it used to be :lol: 

Have missed your gee gee tips. 😡 Assuming I have you right.

J.T.F.Robertson
8 hours ago, haggisman1 said:

I've been here since 1965! I was back in March for a couple of weeks and caught the St. Johnstone game. Mrs. Haggisman (also from Edinburgh) fancies going on a British Isles cruise next year so it looks like sometime in the spring for my nest visit to Tynecastle.

Sheesh! You've been there even longer than me.

joondalupjambo
On 28/08/2023 at 18:43, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Born and raised in Linlithgow, but now stay on the Fife Riveria, via Galashiels, Mellerstain Estate, and Carnock. 

Loads of Jambos in the Fife Riviera (The East Neuk) and my toon Lundin Links/Largo a big number emigrated here because of the weather, the golf and the real ale👍

Edited by joondalupjambo

Grew up Polbeth and moved to Dublin a couple of years ago. Yet to meet any Jambos over here, feels like everyone is all for the EPL and surprisingly very few Celtic.

The Old Tolbooth
40 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Have missed your gee gee tips. 😡 Assuming I have you right.

You have yes :D 

I used to do a Grand National write up every year, but there's plenty others on here now that know as much as I do about the game, although my moment of fame was tipping Mon Mome at 100/1 which duly obliged :D 

7 minutes ago, Jambo Dec said:

Grew up Polbeth and moved to Dublin a couple of years ago. Yet to meet any Jambos over here, feels like everyone is all for the EPL and surprisingly very few Celtic.

Been in Dublin 34 years now (born and brought up in Oxgangs and then Craigleith before a “2 year work secondment” that never ended). Come across quite a few Jambos - both Scottish immigrants and some locals who just picked Hearts. Definitely more of us based here than Hibs fans! During the Mad Vlad years most of the Lithuanians living here were also behind us - but guess that has dropped off.

6 hours ago, Gorgi1874 said:

Born just outside london, settled permanently here about 15 years ago, been going to Tynecastle ever since, 9 years st holder. Just love footy up here however its criminally sold short by Doncaster ltd and the old firm monopoly limits further interest from anyone outside of Scotland. I also think the Edinburgh clubs either lack ambition, investment or both. Edinburgh is growing exponentially and that market should be tapped into to create more supporters. I do know that's easier said than done though, especially with the size of the grounds and the financial risk of increasing capacity or moving elsewhere.

Really good post. Ideally Tynecastle should have a capacity of at least 30,000 but sadly it'll never happen.

55 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

Really good post. Ideally Tynecastle should have a capacity of at least 30,000 but sadly it'll never happen.

Cheers pal, would be great to see.

1 hour ago, Libertarian said:

Needs to happen, hopefully in time the board will bite the bullet on getting things into place for the Wheatfield and can assess what we can do with the Gorgie stand thereafter. 

A plan of continual expansion over the next decade or two, would probably deliver the above (if the Wheatfield was expanded to the absolute maximum we could be looking at 28k capacity just from there (c15k Wheatfield would be doing a bit more than doubling its current capacity). 

All very expensive and a triggering issue for some though :D 

Kennyfragg13
16 hours ago, superjack said:

Where about on lewis are you? I ended up married to a rhuach and living in point.

In goat hill area m8

Crewe Road , then Gorgie Road , now Loanhead, good few jambos about, see the odd hubs fan and the usual smattering of huns/thims.

Kennyfragg13
17 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Hearts scarf in the Lewis Bar?

It all changed now m8 been bought over more a pub restaurant now

the posh bit
6 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'm still here lads, just had a wee name change along the way, hope you're both doing well :) 

There's a big following from Gala, but I moved to Rosyth in 2007, and there's a huge following here of Hearts fans, we took 8 buses to the cup final against St Mirren in 2013, there's a scattering of Dingles too, sadly! 

Have you still got your wee dog? 😀

joondalupjambo

Edinburgh Stockbridge / Learmonth, moved to Aberdour due to house costs in town, Dalgety Bay, Lundin Links, Perth Western Australia, Lundin Links.

As said above in earlier post loads of Jambos in the LL/ Largo area many who are ST holders.

When we lived in Oz not a lot of Hearts fans, some and they were scattered around the Perth Suburbs making it hard to organise anything however Hibs had a supporters club with the numbers they mustered.  

One Hibee over there had a SUV with his spare tyre cover (metallic) detailed with some of their better 70's players faces, e.g. Cropley.  Better though there was one Hearts fan post 2012 who had a number plate Jambos 51.  

A week or two before we left to return to Scotland met a newbie who had just moved to Perth.  He was out walking on the coastal path near Mullaloo decked out in his new Hearts strip.  Wonder if he is still there?  Might be reading this.

Placid Casual
7 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Yes, doing okay mate thanks, hope all is well with you.

8 buses from Rosyth is very impressive, didn't realise we had so many fans there.

1 hour ago, Kennyfragg13 said:

It all changed now m8 been bought over more a pub restaurant now

Totally ruined the place. I was in last Sunday, left after 1 pint and went back to the star.

In goat hill area m8

Unlike me, walking distance for a pint! If games are on telly, do you go to a pub to watch, if yes which 1?

SectionDJambo

Born in the Western General many moons ago, just before the golden era for Hearts.

Since then, been a Midlothian boy all my life. Bonnyrigg, Gorebridge and, now, Newtongrange. 

Never had the urge to move further away.  I'd miss going to Tynecastle too much.

I know this is not strictly on topic, but I was in a shopping mall this morning and a guy walking towards me gave me a big grin and, in an English accent, said "Nice to see a Hearts top for a change. C'mon the Jambos."

That's in Guelph Ontario.  He made my day.

53 minutes ago, superjack said:

Totally ruined the place. I was in last Sunday, left after 1 pint and went back to the star.

I might take a wander over to the Star next time I am up  😁

23 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I know this is not strictly on topic, but I was in a shopping mall this morning and a guy walking towards me gave me a big grin and, in an English accent, said "Nice to see a Hearts top for a change. C'mon the Jambos."

😄

42 minutes ago, JAYEL said:

I might take a wander over to the Star next time I am up  😁

Before it changed hands, used to catch boydy in the lewis a lot. The star I usually speak to him now. 

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Nice one, I had it in San Diego a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

:rudiyas:

22 minutes ago, superjack said:

Before it changed hands, used to catch boydy in the lewis a lot. The star I usually speak to him now. 

Love them ❤️  Boydy seems a right character 😁

Saw few vids of them playing in the Star but doubt it happens much now as they are always away playing

Only made the Criterion the last time as it was only about 2 hrs turnaround for the Ullapool ferry

Edited by JAYEL

Kennyfragg13
1 hour ago, superjack said:

Unlike me, walking distance for a pint! If games are on telly, do you go to a pub to watch, if yes which 1?

Just watch in house mostly ,any word off supporters club starting up there was talk a while back.

Dalstonjambo

Born in Glasgow and lived in Lenzie for circa 18 months before the good people at Bank of Scotland moved my dad down to London. 

Grew up in a small commuter town in Essex (4 other Jambos in the town and 1 hibee) and lived there until i disappeared off to Uni in York in 2004. Spent most of the school holidays traveling ‘back’ to see family (mostly Hearts). 

Founder member of York Hearts and got my first season ticket in 2005/2006. Moved back to London after uni in 2007 and lived no more than 15 minutes from King’s Cross for 10 years to get to as many games as possible. Even bought my first flat in 2012 by ‘accident’ as it was the only viewing I could do and still make my scheduled train up for the Celtic semi. Lived in Islington then Dalston.

Barely missed a home game and made most away games by either train or plane until my daughter was born in 2017. 

Now live in Amersham (direct train to Kings Cross) with 2 kids of 7&5. 5 year old son is absolutely Hearts mad and doesn’t understand how no one at his school knows who Lawrence Shankland is. Season 18 of having a season ticket and the wee man is on the waiting list. 

Met many great Jambos in London on the occasions I don’t make it up and had a cracking day for the 3-0 cup game vs Hibs this year which my Son came home buzzing from. 

Tomorrow is the first European game I’ve missed in a long time as away with work but I’ll be finding somewhere in Madrid to watch the game. 

Edited by Dalstonjambo

1 hour ago, JAYEL said:

Love them ❤️  Boydy seems a right character 😁

Saw few vids of them playing in the Star but doubt it happens much now as they are always away playing

Only made the Criterion the last time as it was only about 2 hrs turnaround for the Ullapool ferry

Body is sound. Ully is a dick, innes is sound as well. I've been good mates with boydys old man for years through work. A few years ago we were having a few pints in the star and up comes young boydy amd says to his da "can you give me 30 quid da, need to get some blow". His dad gives him the cash amd says to me "what a waster my boy is, hardly goes out on his prawn boat, just sits in his house getting stoned playing his guitar". A few years later, after the band first went big, he said, tongue in cheek "how times have changed, so proud of my boy sitting around getting wasted playing his guitar".

I was invited to go up to his house with my guitar for a jam the neat time he's home, looking forward to it.

Just watch in house mostly ,any word off supporters club starting up there was talk a while back.

I was on the committee. The guy who was originally the chairman who done a lot of the organising had to step down due to his wife's health. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone else who has the time. Another guy, Charlton, took over when Duncan stepped down. However he died a few months ago. We just need someone who has the spare time, ie someone working part time or retired.

If I'm out watching a game, usually go to the huns club.

Kennyfragg13
1 minute ago, superjack said:

I was on the committee. The guy who was originally the chairman who done a lot of the organising had to step down due to his wife's health. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone else who has the time. Another guy, Charlton, took over when Duncan stepped down. However he died a few months ago. We just need someone who has the spare time, ie someone working part time or retired.

If I'm out watching a game, usually go to the huns club.

Sea angling used to be mine but having kids and work put an end to that

50 minutes ago, Kennyfragg13 said:

Sea angling used to be mine but having kids and work put an end to that

It's where the Tims go now,  best avoid.

3 hours ago, superjack said:

Body is sound. Ully is a dick, innes is sound as well. I've been good mates with boydys old man for years through work. A few years ago we were having a few pints in the star and up comes young boydy amd says to his da "can you give me 30 quid da, need to get some blow". His dad gives him the cash amd says to me "what a waster my boy is, hardly goes out on his prawn boat, just sits in his house getting stoned playing his guitar". A few years later, after the band first went big, he said, tongue in cheek "how times have changed, so proud of my boy sitting around getting wasted playing his guitar".

I was invited to go up to his house with my guitar for a jam the neat time he's home, looking forward to it.

Cracking mate

I will watch out for you guesting up on stage  🤪

Tynecastlesmychurch
20 hours ago, john thomas said:

Must be a posh village .

OF fans washing their tops !

Never heard of such a thing

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hail from Oxgangs, ex Hunters Tryst and Firrhill. Followed Hearts since a young laddie but from age 16 onwards preferred to play football on a Saturday, rather than watch it. Managed to play well into my 40's so wasn't a regular at Tynie until later years. ST holder for a good few years now. Lots of Jambos in Oxgangs back in the day, best footie memory as a youngster would be Tynie under the lights against Locomotive Leipzig. Obviously the cup finals since then. Too much spare time now, spending it between talking shite on here, and the golf course. Love driving in for the game, taking a wee walk up and down Gorgie road a few times, before soaking up the atmosphere in the Wheatfield. Gorgie and Tynie just feel like home!

Can't say I've seen much evidence of many Jambos in Forth where I live now. 

East Whitburn. Bathgate, Bo'ness and now Larbert.  There are always a fair few Jambo's at the station when I head through and even more when we all get the 22.08 train home on a weeknight.

The Old Tolbooth
16 hours ago, the posh bit said:

Have you still got your wee dog? 😀

I do mate yeah, you've got me wondering who you are now :lol: 

We went on a wee jaunt down to Berwick on tweed last Saturday.were in the red lion,a great wee boozer run by Jimmy the wee jambo and his missus who is a rangers supporter .the decor was mostly rangers orientated but a great wee shrine to the hearts too.brilliant time in there.

On 29/08/2023 at 12:16, poultry said:

Mayfield & Gorebridge HSC. seen us take 2 double deckers as far as Aberdeen in those days. Bus driver for us was Wullie Swan, the Rangers bus was his brother Davey.

Yes I remember Wullie Swan from Gorebridge I think. 

Doctor FinnBarr
14 hours ago, tiger Rudi said:

Hail from Oxgangs, ex Hunters Tryst and Firrhill. Followed Hearts since a young laddie but from age 16 onwards preferred to play football on a Saturday, rather than watch it. Managed to play well into my 40's so wasn't a regular at Tynie until later years. ST holder for a good few years now. Lots of Jambos in Oxgangs back in the day, best footie memory as a youngster would be Tynie under the lights against Locomotive Leipzig. Obviously the cup finals since then. Too much spare time now, spending it between talking shite on here, and the golf course. Love driving in for the game, taking a wee walk up and down Gorgie road a few times, before soaking up the atmosphere in the Wheatfield. Gorgie and Tynie just feel like home!

Can't say I've seen much evidence of many Jambos in Forth where I live now. 

Do you still eat your first born in Forth mate?

4 minutes ago, Doctor FinnBarr said:

Do you still eat your first born in Forth mate?

😂 No idea what the locals get up to mate, im an incomer, the chippy does me fine. 

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, tiger Rudi said:

😂 No idea what the locals get up to mate, im an incomer, the chippy does me fine. 

Have they warned you about the lunatic Carstairs siren that goes off once a month? Sorry, it did when I worked there nigh on 40 years ago now, not long after the escape/murder rampage.

I fully expect to see SALONIKA HEARTS banners at Tynecastle soon.

I mean, they can't help but be impressed...🤪